Subject: RFC 5348 on TCP Friendly Rate Control (TFRC): Protocol Specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:38:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5348

        Title:      TCP Friendly Rate Control (TFRC): 
                    Protocol Specification 
        Author:     S. Floyd, M. Handley,
                    J. Padhye, J. Widmer
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      58
        Characters: 133185
        Obsoletes:  RFC3448
        Updates:    RFC4342

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dccp-rfc3448bis-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5348.txt

This document specifies TCP Friendly Rate Control (TFRC).  TFRC is a
congestion control mechanism for unicast flows operating in a
best-effort Internet environment.  It is reasonably fair when
competing for bandwidth with TCP flows, but has a much lower variation
of throughput over time compared with TCP, making it more suitable for
applications such as streaming media where a relatively smooth sending
rate is of importance.

This document obsoletes RFC 3448 and updates RFC 4342.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce