Subject: Protocol Action: 'Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) SEARCH' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:18:44 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) SEARCH '
   <draft-reschke-webdav-search-18.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Chris Newman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-webdav-search-18.txt

Technical Summary

   This document specifies a set of methods, headers and properties
   composing WebDAV SEARCH, an application of the HTTP/1.1 protocol
   to efficiently search for DAV resources based upon a set of
   client-supplied criteria.

Working Group Summary

   This was the product of an individual submittor.  However, it is
   based on a draft developed by the concluded DASL WG and technical
   discussions have occured on the DASL mailing list.  Some issues that
   were discussed as candidates for the base specification are covered
   in Appendix B and are believed suitable for future protocol
   extensions.  There was some discussion of whether query schema
   discovery should be mandatory or optional, there is believed to be
   community rough consensus to keep it an optional feature.

Document Quality

   The framework defined in SEARCH (method, grammar discover via
   OPTIONS, response format) is supported at least in six
   implementations of which four support the DAV:basicsearch grammar and
   the other two expose only custom grammars.  There has been at least
   one proposal for an additional documented query language
   (draft-godoy-webdav-xmlsearch).

Personnel

   The responsible area director is Chris Newman who reviewed this
   specification in detail.  The specification was also reviewed by
   multiple participants of the [email-masked] mailing list
   (formerly used by the DASL WG) as well as the [email-masked]
   (formerly WebDAV WG).  During IETF last call, support was
   expressed by Tobias Schlauch and Javier Godoy on the IETF list.
   Additional review comments were provided by John Barone and Cyrus
   Daboo on the webdav lists during last call.  Gonzalo Camarillo 
   was the GEN-ART reviewer, Radia Perlman was the sec-dir reviewer.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce