Subject: RFC 5338 on Using the Host Identity Protocol with Legacy Applications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:12:41 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5338

        Title:      Using the Host Identity Protocol 
                    with Legacy Applications 
        Author:     T. Henderson, P. Nikander,
                    M. Komu
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       September 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 34882
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-hip-applications-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5338.txt

This document is an informative overview of how legacy applications
can be made to work with the Host Identity Protocol (HIP).  HIP
proposes to add a cryptographic name space for network stack names.
>From an application viewpoint, HIP-enabled systems support a new
address family of host identifiers, but it may be a long time until
such HIP-aware applications are widely deployed even if host systems
are upgraded.  This informational document discusses implementation
and Application Programming Interface (API) issues relating to using
HIP in situations in which the system is HIP-aware but the
applications are not, and is intended to aid implementors and early
adopters in thinking about and locally solving systems issues
regarding the incremental deployment of HIP.  This memo provides information 
for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce