Subject: Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-irtf-nmrg-snmp-measure-05.txt

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:22:08 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'SNMP Traffic 
Measurements and Trace Exchange Formats' 
<draft-irtf-nmrg-snmp-measure-05.txt> as an Informational RFC. 

The IESG would also like the RFC-Editor to review the comments in the 
datatracker 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=14654&rfc_flag=0) 
related to this document and determine whether or not they merit 
incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot 
and the comment log. 

The IESG contact person is Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-nmrg-snmp-measure-05.txt

The process for such documents is described at http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html.

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

   The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is widely deployed to
   monitor, control and (sometimes also) configure network elements.
   Even though the SNMP technology is well documented, it remains
   relatively unclear how SNMP is used in practice and what typical SNMP
   usage patterns are.

   This document proposes to carry out large scale SNMP traffic
   measurements in order to develop a better understanding how SNMP is
   used in real world production networks.  It describes the motivation,
   the measurement approach, and the tools and data formats needed to
   carry out such a study.

Working Group Summary

   This document was produced within the IRTF's Network Management
   Research Group (NMRG) and represents the consensus of all of the
   active contributors to this group.

Document Quality

   SNMP is quite widely deployed. Measurements on SNMP traffic are being
   performed by various tools and different organizations. 

Personnel

   Bert Wijnen shephereded the document in the NMRG. Dan Romascanu is
   the shepherding AD. 

IESG Note

The IESG thinks that this work is related to IETF work done in the
Operations and Management Area related to SNMP, but this does not prevent
publishing. This RFC is not a candidate for any level of Internet
Standard.

The IETF disclaims any knowledge of the fitness of this RFC for
any purpose and notes that the decision to publish is not based on
IETF review apart from the IETF Last Call on the allocation of an URI by
IANA and the IESG review for conflict with IETF work.
The RFC Editor has chosen to publish this document at its
discretion.  See RFC 3932 for more information.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce