Subject: RFC 5261 on An Extensible Markup Language (XML) Patch Operations Framework Utilizing XML Path Language (XPath) Selectors

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:57:10 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5261

        Title:      An Extensible Markup Language (XML) 
                    Patch Operations Framework Utilizing XML Path 
                    Language (XPath) Selectors 
        Author:     J. Urpalainen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Characters: 78036
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-simple-xml-patch-ops-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5261.txt

Extensible Markup Language (XML) documents are widely used as
containers for the exchange and storage of arbitrary data in today's
systems.  In order to send changes to an XML document, an entire copy
of the new version must be sent, unless there is a means of
indicating only the portions that have changed.  This document
describes an XML patch framework utilizing XML Path language (XPath)
selectors.  These selector values and updated new data content
constitute the basis of patch operations described in this document.
In addition to them, with basic <add>, <replace>, and <remove>
directives a set of patches can then be applied to update an existing
XML document.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce