Subject: RFC 5343 on Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID Discovery

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:07:50 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5343

        Title:      Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) 
                    Context EngineID Discovery 
        Author:     J. Schoenwaelder
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 19938
        Updates:    RFC3411

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsawg-snmp-engineid-discovery-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5343.txt

The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) version three (SNMPv3)
requires that an application know the identifier (snmpEngineID) of
the remote SNMP protocol engine in order to retrieve or manipulate
objects maintained on the remote SNMP entity.

This document introduces a well-known localEngineID and a discovery
mechanism that can be used to learn the snmpEngineID of a remote SNMP
protocol engine.  The proposed mechanism is independent of the
features provided by SNMP security models and may also be used by
other protocol interfaces providing access to managed objects.

This document updates RFC 3411.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce