Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Link-Type sub-TLV to convey the number of Traffic Engineering Label Switched Paths signalled with zero reserved bandwidth across a link' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:18:06 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Link-Type sub-TLV to convey the number of Traffic Engineering Label 
   Switched Paths signalled with zero reserved bandwidth across a link '
   <draft-ietf-mpls-number-0-bw-te-lsps-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-number-0-bw-te-lsps-12.txt

Technical Summary

   Several Link-type sub-TLVs have been defined for OSPF and IS-IS in
   the context of Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Traffic
   Engineering (TE) in order to advertise some link characteristics such
   as the available bandwidth, traffic engineering metric,
   administrative group and so on.  By making statistical assumption
   about the aggregated traffic carried onto a set of TE Label Switched
   Paths (LSPs) signalled with zero bandwith (referred to as
   unconstrained TE LSP in this document), and with the knowledge of the
   number of unconstrained TE LSPs signalled across a link, algorithms
   can be designed to load balance (existing or newly configured)
   unconstrained TE LSP across a set of equal cost paths.  This requires
   knowledge of the number of unconstrained TE LSPs signalled across a
   link.  

   This document specifies a new Link-type Traffic Engineering
   sub-TLV used to advertise the number of unconstrained TE LSP(s)
   signalled across a link.

Working Group Summary

   No controversy reported. This document represents the WG 
   consensus as a whole: the WG as a whole understands and 
   agrees with it. The document was also last called in the 
   OSPF and IS-IS working groups (in addition to the MPLS
   WG and IETF last calls), and updated based on comments
   received. 

Document Quality

   Given the relative simplicity of the draft, and the similarity
   to existing deployed code (in both routers and ATM switches)
   the amount of review that has occurred is quite generous. 

Personnel

   Loa Andersson is the document shepherd, although reportedly
   George Swallow has also reviewed it. Ross Callon is the 
   responsible AD.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce