Subject: RFC 5345 on Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Traffic Measurements and Trace Exchange Formats

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:46:01 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5345

        Title:      Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) 
                    Traffic Measurements and Trace Exchange Formats 
        Author:     J. Schoenwaelder
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       October 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 52411
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-nmrg-snmp-measure-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5345.txt

The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is widely deployed to
monitor, control, and (sometimes also) configure network elements.
Even though the SNMP technology is well documented, it remains
relatively unclear how SNMP is used in practice and what typical SNMP
usage patterns are.

This document describes an approach to carrying out large-scale SNMP
traffic measurements in order to develop a better understanding of
how SNMP is used in real-world production networks.  It describes the
motivation, the measurement approach, and the tools and data formats
needed to carry out such a study.

This document was produced within the IRTF's Network Management
Research Group (NMRG), and it represents the consensus of all of the
active contributors to this group.  This memo provides information for 
the Internet community.

This document is a product of the IRTF Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce