Subject: IETF Network Services RFP

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:07:49 -0700 (PDT)

Network Services RFP for IETF and Large Interim Meetings

The Internet Society and the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee
(IAOC) are seeking a vendor to perform network services for Internet
Engineering Task Force (IETF) meetings and Large Interim Meetings, if and
when held, beginning in 2009 for a three (3) year period, with an
opportunity for two (2) one year extensions. Generally, the services would
include: performing a pre-meeting site survey; developing a detailed
network design; installing all equipment; conducting tests; and providing
operations, systems management; user support functions during the meeting;
and storage of IETF equipment. This is an indefinite delivery, indefinite
quantity (IDIQ) contract.

The Meeting Network Services RFPRFP can be found at this location: 
http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html/ 

The IETF conducts three, one-week meetings a year throughout the world. 
Attendance is in the range of 1,100 to 1,300 per meeting.  These meetings
are in furtherance of the IETF’s mission of standards development for the
Internet.  Attendees include engineers, computer scientists, and
academicians who are always connected with one or more devices.  The
meetings are typically conducted in March, July and November.  Meeting
venues include hotels with conference space (the preference), as well as
standalone conference centers.  Meeting space requirements are typically
40,000 square feet, comprised of 8 meeting rooms for simultaneous
sessions, holding between 100 – 500 people; one Plenary room holding 1,000
people; a 120 seat terminal room; 5 offices; and a registration area.

The IETF is experimenting with Large Interim Meetings beginning in 2009.
If shown to be successful, Large Interim Meetings will likely be held
twice per year.  These are expected to be three-day meetings with four
simultaneous sessions and an anticipated attendance of 300 – 500 people.

Generally, the wireless network must service all meeting rooms, terminal
room, offices, the registration area, and public spaces.  Limited wired
services are required in the meeting rooms and registration area, however
the terminal room requires upwards of 150 drops.  Audio streaming and
Jabber conference rooms are provided in addition to the wired and wireless
network services for the meeting.

Connecting the IETF meeting to the Internet is done through a pair of
redundant circuits. These circuits historically consist of a high speed
primary link and a lower speed backup link.  These links are generally
brought in specifically for the event, though existing venue links can
sometimes be utilized for backup purposes.  The circuits are often donated
from ISPs and PTTs that are friendly with the IETF, but must be ordered
and purchased if no donations can be arranged.

The IETF maintains a team of volunteer network engineers and architects,
drawn from within the ranks of IETF attendees.  This team has been
involved in every IETF event network for many years, and provides
site-selection and other technical guidance to the IAD and IAOC.  The
vendor is encouraged to take advantage of the experience of this team in
overall design, and their specific understanding of the needs of the IETF
community.

This is an indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract. 
While the IETF has a meeting schedule through 2013 (see
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/0mtg-sites.txt), it is uncertain which of
these meetings will require vendor performance as the IETF permits Host
companies to perform or arrange for network services for IETF Meetings. 
Likewise there is uncertainty with regard to providing similar services
for the Large Interim Meetings, which is is being held for the first time
in January 2009.  Should a decision be taken to contract for the network
services for the IETF meetings, it may include:

a. IETF 74 at the Hilton San Francisco, March 22 – 27, 2009;

b. IETF 75 at the Convention Centre Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden July 26 –
31, 2009; and a

c. Large Interim Meeting, at an undecided location in North America, at
dates in 2009 that have not yet been chosen.

Future meetings could be added to this Master Agreement from time to time
by a mutually signed Supplemental Agreement.

Specific quotes are requested for IETF 74 and IETF 75.

The following timeline may lead to contract award:

a. RFP Issued by email:  October 27, 2008.
b. RFP Response by email due no later than 5 PM ET on November 24, 2008.
c. Response Review Period:  November 25, 2008 to December 12, 2008.
d. Notification of selection:  December 19, 2008
e. Contract Negotiation and Agreement:  January 2, 2009 to January 19,
2009.
f. Contract Signed and Accepted:  January 23, 2009.
g. Contract Commencement: February 1, 2009.

Questions regarding this RFP may be submitted via email to the IAD,
[email-masked], and technical matters may be passed onto subject experts for
response.  Telephone conferences, when necessary to discuss logistical
matters or technical matters, will be scheduled in advance via email.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce