Subject: Protocol Action: 'Better-Than-Nothing-Security: An Unauthenticated Mode of IPsec' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 07:21:05 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Better-Than-Nothing-Security: An Unauthenticated Mode of IPsec '
   <draft-ietf-btns-core-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Better-Than-Nothing Security Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-btns-core-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
   The Internet network security protocol suite, IPsec, consisting of
   IKE, ESP, and AH, generally requires authentication of network layer
   entities to bootstrap security. This authentication can be based on
   mechanisms such as pre-shared symmetric keys, certificates and
   associated asymmetric keys, or the use of Kerberos. The need to
   deploy authentication information and its associated identities to
   network layer entities can be a significant obstacle to use of
   network security.  This document describes extensions to the SPD and
PAD to allow BTNS IPsec.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   This document had rough consensus of the BTNS working group.
 
Protocol Quality

   Sam Hartman reviewed the specification for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor
 
Section 2:
old: bind the same public key.  These certificates need not to have been
new: bind the same public key.  These certificates do not need to be

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce