Subject: Protocol Action: 'Transmission Time offsets in RTP streams' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:48:32 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Transmission Time offsets in RTP streams '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-toffset-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-toffset-07.txt

Technical Summary

This document describes a method to inform RTP clients when RTP
packets are transmitted at a time other than their 'nominal'
transmission time. It also provides a mechanism to provide improved
inter-arrival jitter reports from the clients, that take into account
the reported transmission times. 

Working Group Summary

This RTP header extension was first defined within
draft-ietf-avt-rtp-hdrext as an initial application of the RTP header
extension mechanism that draft defines. As a result of WG discussion in
July, 2006, it was moved to a separate draft. Additional discussion
resulted in further changes up through Working Group Last Call. There is a
strong Working Group consensus in favour of the present document. 

Document Quality 

Solicited review comments from Qiaobing Xie and Ron Frederick provided a
final polish to the document. 

Personnel 

Tom Taylor is the Document Shepherd for this document.

RFC Editor Note

OLD
   The name toffset needs to be registered into the rtp-hdrext section
   of the urn:ietf: namespace, referring to RFCxxxx.
NEW
   The URN urn:ietf:params:rtp-hdrext:toffset need to be registered in the

   "RTP Compact Header Extensions" registry with the following
information. 

Extension URI                                       Description      
Contact                Reference
urn:ietf:params:rtp-hdrext:toffset  Time Offset        [email-masked]    
RFCxxxx

Two nits: Acronyms should be expanded in the title of the draft and on
their first use (e.g., RTP). Capitalization of the Section headings is not
consistent.

IANA Note

  (see RFC Ed note)

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce