Subject: RFC 5321 on Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 16:15:29 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5321

        Title:      Simple Mail Transfer Protocol 
        Author:     J. Klensin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      95
        Characters: 225929
        Obsoletes:  RFC2821
        Updates:    RFC1123

        I-D Tag:    draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5321.txt

This document is a specification of the basic protocol for Internet
electronic mail transport.  It consolidates, updates, and clarifies
several previous documents, making all or parts of most of them
obsolete.  It covers the SMTP extension mechanisms and best practices
for the contemporary Internet, but does not provide details about
particular extensions.  Although SMTP was designed as a mail
transport and delivery protocol, this specification also contains
information that is important to its use as a "mail submission"
protocol for "split-UA" (User Agent) mail reading systems and mobile
environments.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This is now a Draft Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce