Subject: Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-templin-autoconf-dhcp-18.txt

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:34:37 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'Virtual Enterprise 
Traversal (VET)' <draft-templin-autoconf-dhcp-18.txt> as an Informational 
RFC. 

The IESG would also like the IRSG or RFC-Editor to review the comments in 
the datatracker 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=14740&rfc_flag=0) 
related to this document and determine whether or not they merit 
incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot 
and the comment log. 

The IESG contact person is Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-autoconf-dhcp-18.txt

The process for such documents is described at http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html.

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

   Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (MANETs) connect routers on links with
   asymmetric reachability characteristics, and may also connect to
   other networks including the Internet.  Routers in MANETs must have a
   way to automatically provision IP addresses/prefixes and other
   information.  This document specifies a Virtual Enterprise Traversal
   (VET) abstraction for autoconfiguration and operation of routers in
   MANETs.

Working Group Summary

   This document was submitted as an independent submission via the
   RFC editor. However, it is closely related to the work in the MANET 
   WG, and is also very closely related to the work of the autoconf
   working group (in the Internet area). This document appears
   to partly overlap with one of the milestones in the autoconf 
   WG, which states:
        Submit 'MANET router IPv6 prefix autoconfiguration mechanism'    
        to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard RFC 

Document Quality

   The document is an independent submission via the RFC editor. The 
   responsible AD is therefore reviewing this solely for overlap with
   IETF work. 

Personnel

   This is an independent submission via the RFC editor. Ross Callon
   has been acting as the AD to do the review for overlap with IETF
   work. 

RFC Editor Note

   After considerable discussion and call for input from the WG, we 
   are recommending that the RFC editor publish the document, but with
   an IESG note (see below). The IESG thinks that this work is related 
   to IETF work done in the autoconf WG, but this does not prevent 
   publishing.

IESG Note:

      This RFC is not a candidate for any level of
      Internet Standard.  The IETF disclaims any knowledge of the
      fitness of this RFC for any purpose and in particular notes that
      the decision to publish is not based on IETF review for such
      things as security, congestion control, or inappropriate
      interaction with deployed protocols.  The RFC Editor has chosen to
      publish this document at its discretion.  Readers of this RFC
      should exercise caution in evaluating its value for implementation
      and deployment.  See RFC 3932 for more information.

      Note that the IETF AUTOCONF Working Group is working on a
      a similar protocol solution that may become available in the 
      future.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce