Subject: Document Action: 'Requirements for Management of Overload in the Session Initiation Protocol' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:02:07 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Requirements for Management of Overload in the Session Initiation 
   Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-overload-reqs-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal 
Investigation Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-overload-reqs-05.txt

Technical Summary

Overload occurs in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) networks when
proxies and user agents have insuffient resources to complete the
processing of a request. SIP provides limited support for overload
handling through its 503 response code, which tells an upstream
element that it is overloaded. However, numerous problems have been
identified with this mechanism. This draft summarizes the problems
with the existing 503 mechanism, and provides some requirements for a
solution.

Working Group Summary

The SIPPING WG supports the development and advancement of
this document.

Document Quality

This document defines no new protocol elements. The document has been
thoroughly reviewed by members of the SIPPING WG and members of the design
team working on modeling and simulations for SIP overload.

Personnel

Jon Peterson reviewed this document for the IESG. Mary Barnes in the
document shepherd.

RFC Editor Note

In the Security Considerations, please append the following paragraph:

  Any mechanism that improves the behavior of SIP elements under load 
will result in more predictable performance in the face of
application-layer denial-of-service attacks.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce