Subject: RFC 5303 on Three-Way Handshake for IS-IS Point-to-Point Adjacencies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:31:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5303

        Title:      Three-Way Handshake for IS-IS Point-to-Point 
                    Adjacencies 
        Author:     D. Katz, R. Saluja,
                    D. Eastlake 3rd
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2008 
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 23203
        Obsoletes:  RFC3373

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-isis-rfc3373bis-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5303.txt

The IS-IS routing protocol (Intermediate System to Intermediate
System, ISO 10589) requires reliable protocols at the link layer for
point-to-point links.  As a result, it does not use a three-way
handshake when establishing adjacencies on point-to-point media.
This paper defines a backward-compatible extension to the protocol
that provides for a three-way handshake.  It is fully interoperable
with systems that do not support the extension.

Additionally, the extension allows the robust operation of more than
256 point-to-point links on a single router.

This extension has been implemented by multiple router vendors; this
paper is provided to the Internet community in order to allow
interoperable implementations to be built by other vendors.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce