Subject: RFC 5297 on Synthetic Initialization Vector (SIV) Authenticated Encryption Using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:59:43 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5297

        Title:      Synthetic Initialization Vector (SIV) Authenticated 
                    Encryption Using the Advanced Encryption Standard 
                    (AES) 
        Author:     D. Harkins
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       October 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 50374
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-dharkins-siv-aes-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5297.txt

This memo describes SIV (Synthetic Initialization Vector), a block
cipher mode of operation.  SIV takes a key, a plaintext, and multiple
variable-length octet strings that will be authenticated but not
encrypted.  It produces a ciphertext having the same length as the
plaintext and a synthetic initialization vector.  Depending on how it
is used, SIV achieves either the goal of deterministic
authenticated encryption or the goal of nonce-based, misuse-resistant
authenticated encryption.  This memo provides information for the Internet 
community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce