Subject: RFC 5401 on Multicast Negative-Acknowledgment (NACK) Building Blocks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:18:19 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5401

        Title:      Multicast Negative-Acknowledgment (NACK) Building 
                    Blocks 
        Author:     B. Adamson, C. Bormann,
                    M. Handley, J. Macker
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       November 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      42
        Characters: 109312
        Obsoletes:  RFC3941

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rmt-bb-norm-revised-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5401.txt

This document discusses the creation of reliable multicast protocols
that utilize negative-acknowledgment (NACK) feedback.  The rationale
for protocol design goals and assumptions are presented.  Technical
challenges for NACK-based (and in some cases general) reliable
multicast protocol operation are identified.  These goals and
challenges are resolved into a set of functional "building blocks"
that address different aspects of reliable multicast protocol
operation.  It is anticipated that these building blocks will be
useful in generating different instantiations of reliable multicast
protocols.  This document obsoletes RFC 3941.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce