Subject: Document Action: 'Basic Password Exchange within the Flexible Authentication via Secure Tunneling Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP-FAST)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:42:20 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Basic Password Exchange within the Flexible Authentication via Secure 
   Tunneling Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP-FAST) '
   <draft-zhou-emu-fast-gtc-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhou-emu-fast-gtc-05.txt

Technical Summary

   The flexible authentication via secure tunneling EAP method (EAP-FAST)

   enables secure communication between a peer and a server by using
   Transport Layer Security (TLS) to establish a mutually authenticated
   tunnel.  Within this tunnel a basic password exchange, based on the
   generic token card method (EAP-GTC), may be executed to authenticate
the
   peer.

Working Group Summary 

   This is not the product of any working group.  This is part of the
ongoing
   effort to document existing deployed EAP methods.  The purpose of this
   document is to publish existing behavior.  

Document Quality 

   There are multiple implementations of EAP-FAST password exchange from
   different vendors that interoperate.  A number of implementers have
   reviewed this specification.  

Personnel

   Joe Salowey is the Document Shepherd; Tim Polk is the
  Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following two changes.

(1) In Section 2, please make the following substitution:

OLD TEXT:

The input SHOULD be processed according to [RFC5198].

NEW TEXT:

The user name and password input SHOULD be processed according to
[RFC4282] Section 2.4 and the server challenges SHOULD be processed
according to [RFC5198].

(2) Please replace the text in Section 3.1 with the following:

NEW

   This section provides the needed security claim requirement for EAP
   [RFC3748].

   Auth. mechanism:         Password based.

   Ciphersuite negotiation: No. However, such negotiation is provided by
                            EAP-FAST for the outer authentication.

   Mutual authentication:   No. However, EAP-FAST provides server side
                            authentication.

   Integrity protection:    No. However, any method executed within the 
                            EAP-FAST tunnel is protected.

   Replay protection:       See above.

   Confidentiality:         See above.

   Key derivation:          Keys are not generated, see Section 2.
                            However, when used inside EAP-FAST, the outer
                            method will provide keys. See [RFC4851]
                            for the properties of those keys.

   Key strength:            See above.

   Dictionary attack prot.: No. However, when used inside the EAP-FAST
                            tunnel, the protection provided by the TLS
                            tunnel prevents an off-line dictionary
                            attack.

   Fast reconnect:          No. However, EAP-FAST provides a fast
                            reconnect capability which allows reusing
                            an earlier session authenticated by
                            EAP-FAST-GTC.

   Cryptographic binding:   No. Given that no keys are generated,
                            EAP-FAST-GTC or its use within EAP-FAST
                            can not provide a cryptographic
                            assurance that no binding attack has
                            occurred. EAP-FAST-GTC is required to
                            only run within a protected tunnel,
                            but even the use of the same credentials
                            in some other, unprotected context might
                            lead to a vulnerability. As a result,
                            credentials used in EAP-FAST-GTC SHOULD NOT
                            be used in other unprotected authentication
                            mechanisms.

   Session independence:    No. However, EAP-FAST provides session
                            independence.

   Fragmentation:           No. However, EAP-FAST provides support for
                            this.

   Key Hierarchy:           Not applicable.

   Channel binding:         No, though the outer method, EAP-FAST 
                            can be extended for this.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce