Subject: Intended Publication: RFC Editor Model (draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-02.txt)

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 06:01:20 -0800 (PST)

Dear Colleagues,

The IAB and the IAOC have been working on a model that divides the
responsibilities for the RFC Series into four functions: The RFC
Series Editor, the Independent Submission Editor, RFC Production
Center, and the RFC Publisher. The model outlined here is intended to
increase flexibility and operational support options, provide for the
orderly succession of the RFC Editor, and ensure the continuity of the
RFC series, while maintaining RFC quality, maintaining timely
processing, ensuring document accessibility, reducing costs, and
increasing cost transparency.

The model has been discussed on the RFC interest list and approved by
the IAB on October 1. After the approval the document saw some
clarification based on ongoing discussion. The IAB intends to publish
this version 02 as an RFC so that the model serves as a baseline for
the implementation by the IAOC. 

The document is available as draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-02.txt.

During the implementation of this model the IAB remains committed to
track and evaluate the developments, listen to the community, and
adjust the model if and when needed.

If there are any issues you would like to bring to our attention
please post these to the RFC interest list
([email-masked]) or to the IAB ([email-masked]). We plan to
hand this document to the RFC Editor after November 30 2008.

As a next step in this process of a committee has been formed to
assist the IAOC and IAB with the selection process and the creation of
an RFI that will be issued early December.

  - Russ Housley, (IESG member)
  - Leslie Daigle, (RFC processes experience)
  - Scott Bradner, (RFC Editorial Board experience)
  - Ray Pelletier, (IAD)
  - Craig Partridge, (IRSG member and RFC Editorial Board experience)
  - Olaf Kolkman, (IAB member)

Thanks,

--Olaf Kolkman

Details:
RFC Editor Model
draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-02.txt

Abstract:
The RFC Editor performs a number of functions that may be carried out
by various persons or entities.  The RFC Editor model presented in
this document divides the responsibilities for the RFC Series into
four functions: The RFC Series Editor, the Independent Submission
Editor, RFC Production Center, and the RFC Publisher.  The model
outlined here is intended to increase flexibility and operational
support options, provide for the orderly succession of the RFC
Editor, and ensure the continuity of the RFC series, while
maintaining RFC quality, maintaining timely processing, ensuring
document accessibility, reducing costs, and increasing cost
transparency.
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce