Subject: RFC 5373 on Requesting Answering Modes for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:31:47 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5373

        Title:      Requesting Answering Modes for the 
                    Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
        Author:     D. Willis, Ed.,
                    A. Allen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       November 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 59839
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sip-answermode-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5373.txt

This document extends SIP with two header fields and associated
option tags that can be used in INVITE requests to convey the
requester's preference for user-interface handling related to
answering of that request.  The first header, "Answer-Mode",
expresses a preference as to whether the target node's user interface
waits for user input before accepting the request or, instead,
accepts the request without waiting on user input.  The second
header, "Priv-Answer-Mode", is similar to the first, except that it
requests administrative-level access and has consequent additional
authentication and authorization requirements.  These behaviors have
applicability to applications such as push-to-talk and to diagnostics
like loop-back.  Usage of each header field in a response to indicate
how the request was handled is also defined.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce