Subject: Protocol Action: 'CAPWAP Protocol Specification' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:20:37 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'CAPWAP Protocol Specification '
   <draft-ietf-capwap-protocol-specification-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Control And Provisioning of Wireless 
Access Points Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-capwap-protocol-specification-15.txt

Technical Summary

  This specification defines the Control And Provisioning of Wireless
  Access Points (CAPWAP) Protocol.  This is a protocol to allow an
  Access Controller (AC) to securely manage the firmware and
  configuration of a set of Wireless Termination Points (WTPs).

  The CAPWAP protocol meets the IETF CAPWAP working group protocol
  requirements.  The CAPWAP protocol is designed to be flexible,
  allowing it to be used for a variety of wireless technologies.
  This document describes the base CAPWAP protocol.  The CAPWAP
  protocol binding which defines extensions for use with the IEEE
  802.11 wireless LAN protocol is available in a separate document. 
  Extensions are expected to be defined to enable use of the CAPWAP 
  protocol with additional wireless technologies.

Working Group Summary

   This document represents a very strong consensus of the WG.  Earlier
   there was a lot of contention about different aspects of this
   protocol, including (but not limited to) the security model, the basic
   operational model, and what parts of the functionality should be
   mandatory or optional.  However,  consensus was reached
   on all of those points and that consensus is properly reflected in the
   current document.

Document Quality

  The CAPWAP protocol has been extensively reviewed and has been
  updated to address issues raised in those reviewes.  Technical 
  advisors were Charles Clancy, Scott Kelly, Bob O'Hara and David 
  Borman.  Joe Salowey provided an early secdir review, and  
  Pasi Eronen reviewed again at IETF Last Call. Magnus Westerlund and
  Lars Eggert performed an early transport area review. Dan Romascanu 
  performed the OPS Area Review. The document was also reviewed by 
  IEEE 802.11. 

Personnel

  Margaret Wasserman is PROTO-shepherd and Dan Romascanu is shepherding
  AD.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce