Subject: Protocol Action: 'Sieve Email Filtering: Reject and Extended Reject Extensions' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:19:55 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Sieve Email Filtering: Reject and Extended Reject Extensions '
   <draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lisa Dusseault and Chris Newman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-09.txt

Technical Summary

   This memo updates the definition of the Sieve mail filtering language
   "reject" extension, originally defined in RFC 3028. The original 
   Sieve "reject" action defined in RFC 3028 required use of MDNs for 
   rejecting messages, thus contributing to the spam to victims of 
   certain spoofing attacks.  

   This memo allows messages to be refused during the SMTP transaction, 
   and defines the "ereject" action to require messages to be refused 
   during the SMTP transaction, if possible.

Working Group Summary

   There is controversy, because the original author of the document,
   Matthew Elvey, objected during IETF Last Call, and does not like some 
   of the decisions made by the WG.  Elvey asked until the beginning of
   September to explain his objections and we are still waiting for
   these explanations.  The WG chairs feel they have rough WG consensus
   on the document, particularly around the choices that Elvey 
   disapproves of.
  
Document Quality

   This is a revision to an existing standard, based on implementation
   and deployment experience.  Thus, the quality of the document 
   reflects that actual experience and feedback. 

Personnel

   Lisa Dusseault reviewed this document for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

  (Insert RFC Editor Note here or remove section)

IESG Note

  (Insert IESG Note here or remove section)

IANA Note

  (Insert IANA Note here or remove section)

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce