Subject: Protocol Action: 'IS-IS Generic Cryptographic Authentication' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:17:06 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IS-IS Generic Cryptographic Authentication '
   <draft-ietf-isis-hmac-sha-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-hmac-sha-07.txt

Technical Summary

   This document proposes an extension to Intermediate System to 
   Intermediate System (IS-IS) to allow the use of any cryptographic 
   authentication algorithm in addition to the already documented 
   authentication schemes, described in the base specification and RFC 
   5304. 
        
   Although this document has been written specifically for using the 
   Hashed Message Authentication Code (HMAC) construct along with the 
   Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA) family of cryptographic hash functions, 
   the method described in this document is generic and can be used to 
   extend IS-IS to support any cryptographic hash function in the 
   future. 

Working Group Summary

   Moderately strong consensus reported (see PROTO writeup by 
   Chris Hopps in the ID tracker). 

Document Quality

   No current implementations as far as we know. There is a need to
   replace the current cryptographic method used in IS-IS (MD5), 
   with one that allows for more secure hashing algorithms. The 
   document has been updated in response to last call comments from
   Alfred Hines. 

Personnel

   Chris Hopps is the document shepherd for this document.  Ross
   Callon is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

   Please add RFC4086 to the Informative References (section 7.2). 
   (note that there is a reference to rfc4086 in section 4).

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce