Subject: Protocol Action: 'Instant Message Disposition Notification' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:01:13 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Instant Message Disposition Notification '
   <draft-ietf-simple-imdn-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the SIP for Instant Messaging and 
Presence Leveraging Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-imdn-10.txt

Technical Summary

This document provides a mechanism whereby endpoints can request Instant
Message Disposition Notifications (IMDN), including delivery, processing
and read notifications, for page-mode instant messages. The Common Profile
for Instant Messaging (CPIM) data format specified in RFC 3862 is extended
with new header fields that enable endpoints to request IMDNs. A new
message format is also defined to convey IMDNs. This document also
describes how SIP entities behave using this extension.

Working Group Summary

The SIMPLE WG supports advancement of this specification.

Document Quality

This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.  Spencer Dawkins
reviewed the document for Gen-ART. Robert Sparks is the document shepherd.

Media type review was posted Feb 13, 2007.

RFC Editor Note

Page 4, Introduction, Last Paragraph
OLD

IMDNs include positive delivery, negative delivery (i.e., a message did
not get delivered successfully), read notifications (i.e., a message was
rendered) as well as processed notifications.  By using CPIM header
fields, the IMDN request and delivery are abstracted outside the transport
protocol allowing interoperability between different IM systems.

NEW
This specification defines three categories of disposition types,
"delivery", "processing", and "read".  Specific disposition types provide
more detailed information.  For example, the "delivery" category includes
"delivered" to indicate successful delivery and "failed" to indicate
failure in delivery.

Page 5, Terminology, second-to-last bullet 
OLD 
Disposition type: the type of IMDN that can be requested.  This
specification defines three, namely "delivery", "processing" and "read"
disposition types.

NEW
This specification defines three categories of disposition types,
"delivery", "processing", and "read".

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce