Subject: Last Call: draft-arkko-arp-iana-rules (IANA Allocation Guidelines for the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:59:17 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:

- 'IANA Allocation Guidelines for the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)'
   <draft-arkko-arp-iana-rules-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2008-12-29. Exceptionally, 
comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please 
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

This is a second Last Call. The IESG would in particular like to draw
your attention to the following two issues.

Impact to specifications other than ARP: Earlier reviews and a search of
the RFC series have uncovered a number of uses of the ARP values in other
protocols, including specialized forms of ARP for certain link layers,
DHCP, and one DNS Resource Record. The IANA rules for ARP will also affect
the use of these numbers in these other protocols, and as a result the
document updates several other RFCs.

Downref notice: Two of the normative references are to Informational RFCs
(RFC 1329 and RFC 2176). The normative reference was needed as this
document updates the IANA rules relating to these RFCs.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-arkko-arp-iana-rules-04.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=17805&rfc_flag=0

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce