Subject: RFC 5390 on Requirements for Management of Overload in the Session Initiation Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 15:59:14 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5390

        Title:      Requirements for Management of Overload 
                    in the Session Initiation Protocol 
        Author:     J. Rosenberg
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       December 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 32851
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipping-overload-reqs-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5390.txt

Overload occurs in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) networks when
proxies and user agents have insufficient resources to complete the
processing of a request.  SIP provides limited support for overload
handling through its 503 response code, which tells an upstream
element that it is overloaded.  However, numerous problems have been
identified with this mechanism.  This document summarizes the
problems with the existing 503 mechanism, and provides some
requirements for a solution.  This memo provides information 
for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce