Subject: Draft RFC Editor Service RFI for Community Comment

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:18:50 -0800 (PST)

In 2009 the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) plans to issue
a Request for Information (RFI) and a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the
performance of the RFC Editor functions beginning in 2010.  The incumbent
has advised that they do not intend to respond to the RFP.  At the request
of the  IAOC, the RFC Editor Selection Oversight Subcommittee is issuing a
draft RFI for community comment.  The draft is located at:
http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html

The purpose of the RFI itself is to identify potential contractors to
provide the RFC Editor services and to obtain feedback from contractors
and the broader Internet community on the implementation of the new RFC
services model.

The RFC Editor provides editing, publishing and archiving services for
the RFC series on behalf of the IETF and the broader Internet community. 

The Internet Architecture Board (IAB) has described the RFC Editor
services, which includes four functions.  Following this structure could
result in four vendors providing services that are currently provided by
one vendor, or fewer than four vendors depending on input received from
the RFI as to how the functions might be combined for the efficient
delivery of professional, quality services.  

The overall RFC Editor function is described in RFC 4844. and the model
for the RFC Editor structure is described in <draft-iab-rfc-editor-model>.
  The model is intended to increase flexibility and operational support
options, provide for the orderly succession of the RFC Editor, and ensure
the continuity of the RFC series, while maintaining RFC quality,
maintaining timely processing, ensuring document accessibility, reducing
costs, and increasing cost transparency.

The four RFC Editor functions in brief:

1.	The RFC Series Editor (RSE) is responsible for overseeing the
consistency and quality of the RFC Series;
2.	The Independent Submissions Editor (ISE) is responsible for managing
the independent submissions stream to the RFC series;
3.	The RFC Production Center is responsible for the editing of documents
consistent with the RFC Style Manual; and
4.	The RFC Publisher is responsible for publishing and maintaining an
archive of the RFC Series and its associated Errata.

Community comment is due no later than January 7, 2009 to
[email-masked].  

All information submitted in response to this announcement is voluntary
and may be used in the development of the RFI and subsequent RFP(s).

Thanks for your continuing advice and support.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce