Subject: Protocol Action: 'DHCPv6 Bulk Leasequery' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:50:03 -0800 (PST)

- 'DHCPv6 Bulk Leasequery '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-bulk-leasequery-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-bulk-leasequery-06.txt

Technical Summary

   DHCPv6 "leasequery" allows a DHCPv6 server to be queried for
   information about DHCPv6 bindings.  As an example, a network
   element may use leasequery to recover state derived from DHCP
   message exchanges.  The existing leasequery mechanism is limited to
   queries for individual bindings.  In some situations individual
   binding queries may not be efficient, or even possible.  DHCPv6
   bulk leasequery expands on the Leasequery protocol, adding new
   query types and allowing for bulk transfer of DHCPv6 binding data
   via TCP.

Working Group Summary

   The dhc WG reviewed this document and raised several issues during
   the WG last call.  All of the issues have been resolved or
   addressed in this revision of the draft.  One set of issues was
   raised in
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/current/msg08468.html;
   the issues were resolved in a revision to the draft.

Document Quality

   DHCPv6 bulk leasequery was originally developed as a simple
   extension to DHCPv6 leasequery, carried over UDP.  Because of the
   possible effect on the network of a bulk data transfer over UDP,
   DHCPv6 bulk leasequery was re-architected to use TCP.  The
   specification for the resulting protocol has been reviewed by both
   dhc WG members and external transport experts.  DHCPv6 bulk
   leasequery was originally developed at the request of a large ISP,
   in anticipation of IPv6 service deployment.  At least one DHCPv6
   server vendor plans to implement DHCPv6 bulk leasequery.

Personnel

   Jari Arkko has reviewed this specification for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce