Subject: RFC Editor Services RFI

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:47:21 -0800 (PST)

In 2009 the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) plans to issue
a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the performance of the RFC Editor
functions beginning in 2010.  The incumbent has advised that they do not
intend to respond to the RFP.  

The purpose of the RFI is to identify potential contractors to provide
the RFC Editor services and to obtain feedback from contractors and the
broader Internet community on the implementation of the new RFC services
model.

The RFC Editor provides editing, publishing and archiving services for
the RFC series on behalf of the IETF and the broader Internet community. 

The Internet Architecture Board (IAB) has described the RFC Editor
services, which includes four functions.  Following this structure could
result in four vendors providing services that are currently provided by
one vendor, or fewer than four vendors depending on input received from
the RFI as to how the functions might be combined for the efficient
delivery of professional, quality services.  

The overall RFC Editor function is described in RFC 4844 and the model
for the RFC Editor structure is described in the IAB model at: 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-rfc-editor-04 .  The model is
intended to increase flexibility and operational support options, provide
for the orderly succession of the RFC Editor, and ensure the continuity of
the RFC series, while maintaining RFC quality, maintaining timely
processing, ensuring document accessibility, reducing costs, and
increasing cost transparency.

The four RFC Editor functions in brief:

1.	The RFC Series Editor (RSE) is responsible for overseeing the
consistency and quality of the RFC Series;
2.	The Independent Submissions Editor (ISE) is responsible for managing
the independent submissions stream to the RFC series;
3.	The RFC Production Center is responsible for the editing of documents
consistent with the RFC Style Manual; and
4.	The RFC Publisher is responsible for publishing and maintaining an
archive of the RFC Series and its associated Errata.

The RFI can be found at: http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html

Responses are due no later than 6 March 2009.  See RFI for details.

Questions about this RFI can be addressed to: 
[email-masked]
All questions and answers will be posted on the website at
http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html.

All information submitted in response to this announcement is voluntary
and may be used in the development of the RFP(s).

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce