Subject: Document Action: 'TCP's Reaction to Soft Errors' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:24:40 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'TCP's Reaction to Soft Errors '
   <draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors-09.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors-09.txt

Technical Summary

    The TCP specification calls for calls for ICMP soft errors to be
    treated as transient and therefore TCP connections will not
    abort in response to such messages.  A widely implemented
    departure from the specification has TCP stacks treating such
    soft errors as hard errors and aborting connections during
    connection establishment.

Working Group Summary

    The WG could not arrive at consensus for changing the TCP
    specification to allow ICMP soft errors to be treated as hard
    errors during connection establishment.  However, this change is
    widely implemented.  This document describes the change in an
    informational way.

Document Quality

    The document was reviewed for quality by a large number of TCPM
    WG members. 

Personnel

    Mark Allman ([email-masked]) was the document shepherd.
    Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed the document for the
    IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce