Subject: RFC 5435 on Sieve Email Filtering: Extension for Notifications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:52:29 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5435

        Title:      Sieve Email Filtering: Extension for 
                    Notifications 
        Author:     A. Melnikov, Ed.,
                    B. Leiba, Ed.,
                    W. Segmuller, T. Martin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 36181
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sieve-notify-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5435.txt

Users go to great lengths to be notified as quickly as possible that
they have received new mail.  Most of these methods involve polling
to check for new messages periodically.  A push method handled by the
final delivery agent gives users quicker notifications and saves
server resources.  This document does not specify the notification
method, but it is expected that using existing instant messaging
infrastructure such as Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol
(XMPP), or Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) Short
Message Service (SMS) messages will be popular.  This document
describes an extension to the Sieve mail filtering language that
allows users to give specific rules for how and when notifications
should be sent.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce