Subject: RFC 5419 on Why the Authentication Data Suboption is Needed for Mobile IPv6 (MIPv6)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:20:49 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5419

        Title:      Why the Authentication Data Suboption 
                    is Needed for Mobile IPv6 (MIPv6) 
        Author:     B. Patil, G. Dommety
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       January 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 45178
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mip6-whyauthdataoption-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5419.txt

Mobile IPv6 defines a set of signaling messages that enable the
mobile node (MN) to authenticate and perform registration with its
home agent (HA).  These authentication signaling messages between the
mobile node and home agent are secured by an IPsec security
association (SA) that is established between the MN and HA.  The MIP6
working group has specified a mechanism to secure the Binding Update
(BU) and Binding Acknowledgement (BAck) messages using an
authentication option, similar to the authentication option in Mobile
IPv4, carried within the signaling messages that are exchanged
between the MN and HA to establish a binding.  This document provides
the justifications as to why the authentication option mechanism is
needed for Mobile IPv6 deployment in certain environments.  This memo 
provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce