Subject: Protocol Action: 'Capabilities Advertisement with BGP-4' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:54:50 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Capabilities Advertisement with BGP-4 '
   <draft-ietf-idr-rfc3392bis-05.txt> as a Draft Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Ward and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-rfc3392bis-05.txt

Technical Summary

   This document defines an Optional Parameter, called Capabilities,
   that is expected to facilitate the introduction of new capabilities
   in the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) by providing graceful capability
   advertisement without requiring that BGP peering be terminated.  This
   document obsoletes RFC 3392.

Working Group Summary

   There were no objections to this document within the IDR WG during
the IDR WG Last Call.

Document Quality

  There are multiple, interoperable implementations of this technology.

Personnel

   Dave Ward

RFC-Editor Note

Please add this to the IANA Considerations section:

IANA is requested to create and maintain a registry for OPEN message
optional parameters called "BGP OPEN Optional Parameter Types". Optional
parameters are identified by the Parameter Type, which is a one-octet
unsigned integer. Values (0 reserved, 1-255) are to
be allocated according to the "IETF Review" policy as defined in
[RFC5226].  

The registry should be populated with the two Parameter Type codes 
that are currently defined:

   o  Parameter Type 1: Authentication (deprecated).

   o  Parameter Type 2: Capabilities ([RFC3392bis])

IANA Note

See RFC-Editor note for instructions on the new registry.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce