Subject: RFC 5452 on Measures for Making DNS More Resilient against Forged Answers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:58:08 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5452

        Title:      Measures for Making DNS More 
                    Resilient against Forged Answers 
        Author:     A. Hubert, R. van Mook
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 37432
        Updates:    RFC2181

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-forgery-resilience-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5452.txt

The current Internet climate poses serious threats to the Domain Name
System.  In the interim period before the DNS protocol can be secured
more fully, measures can already be taken to harden the DNS to make
'spoofing' a recursing nameserver many orders of magnitude harder.

Even a cryptographically secured DNS benefits from having the ability
to discard bogus responses quickly, as this potentially saves large
amounts of computation.

By describing certain behavior that has previously not been
standardized, this document sets out how to make the DNS more
resilient against accepting incorrect responses.  This document
updates RFC 2181.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce