Subject: RFC 5439 on An Analysis of Scaling Issues in MPLS-TE Core Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:15:58 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5439

        Title:      An Analysis of Scaling Issues 
                    in MPLS-TE Core Networks 
        Author:     S. Yasukawa, A. Farrel,
                    O. Komolafe
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      45
        Characters: 93845
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-te-scaling-analysis-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5439.txt

Traffic engineered Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS-TE) is
deployed in providers' core networks.  As providers plan to grow these
networks, they need to understand whether existing protocols and
implementations can support the network sizes that they are planning.

This document presents an analysis of some of the scaling concerns
for the number of Label Switching Paths (LSPs) in MPLS-TE core
networks, and examines the value of two techniques (LSP hierarchies
and multipoint-to-point LSPs) for improving scaling.  The intention is
to motivate the development of appropriate deployment techniques and
protocol extensions to enable the application of MPLS-TE in large
networks.

This document only considers the question of achieving scalability
for the support of point-to-point MPLS-TE LSPs.  Point-to-multipoint
MPLS-TE LSPs are for future study.  This memo provides information 
for the Internet community. 

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute