Subject: BCP 146, RFC 5406 on Guidelines for Specifying the Use of IPsec Version 2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:29:12 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 146        
        RFC 5406

        Title:      Guidelines for Specifying the Use 
                    of IPsec Version 2 
        Author:     S. Bellovin
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       February 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 30393
        See Also:   BCP0146

        I-D Tag:    draft-bellovin-useipsec-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5406.txt

The Security Considerations sections of many Internet Drafts say, in
effect, "just use IPsec".  While this is sometimes correct, more
often it will leave users without real, interoperable security
mechanisms.  This memo offers some guidance on when IPsec Version 2
should and should not be specified.  This document specifies an Internet 
Best Current Practices for the Internet Community, and requests 
discussion and suggestions for improvements.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute