Subject: Protocol Action: 'GEOPRIV PIDF-LO Usage Clarification, Considerations and Recommendations' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:08:30 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'GEOPRIV PIDF-LO Usage Clarification, Considerations and 
   Recommendations '
   <draft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-14.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-14.txt

Technical Summary

The Presence Information Data Format Location Object (PIDF-LO)
specification provides a flexible and versatile means to represent
location information.  There are, however, circumstances that arise
when information needs to be constrained in how it is represented.  In
these circumstances the range of options that need to be implemented
are reduced.  There is growing interest in being able to use location
information contained in a PIDF-LO for routing applications.  To allow
successful interoperability between applications, location information
needs to be normative and more tightly constrained than is currently
specified in the RFC 4119 (PIDF-LO).  This document makes
recommendations on how to constrain, represent and interpret locations
in a PIDF-LO.  It further recommends a subset of GML that is mandatory
to implement by applications involved in location based routing.

Working Group Summary

This document reflects a strong consensus of the GEOPRIV working
group.

Document Quality

The document was well reviewed within the working group and received
comment from SIMPLE participants (specifically about ensuring it took
the presence data model into consideration)

Personnel

Robert Sparks is the Document Shepherd. Cullen Jennings is the
responsible AD.  The document has no IANA considerations.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce