Subject: RFC 5420 on Encoding of Attributes for MPLS LSP Establishment Using Resource Reservation Protocol Traffic Engineering (RSVP-TE)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:35:07 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5420

        Title:      Encoding of Attributes for MPLS 
                    LSP Establishment Using Resource Reservation Protocol 
                    Traffic Engineering (RSVP-TE) 
        Author:     A. Farrel, Ed., D. Papadimitriou,
                    JP. Vasseur, A. Ayyangarps
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       February 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 47668
        Obsoletes:  RFC4420
        Updates:    RFC3209, RFC3473

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-rfc4420bis-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5420.txt

Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switched Paths (LSPs) may
be established using the Resource Reservation Protocol Traffic
Engineering (RSVP-TE) extensions.  This protocol includes an object
(the SESSION_ATTRIBUTE object) that carries a Flags field used to
indicate options and attributes of the LSP.  That Flags field has
eight bits, allowing for eight options to be set.  Recent proposals in
many documents that extend RSVP-TE have suggested uses for each of
the previously unused bits.

This document defines a new object for RSVP-TE messages that allows
the signaling of further attribute bits and also the carriage of
arbitrary attribute parameters to make RSVP-TE easily extensible to
support new requirements.  Additionally, this document defines a way
to record the attributes applied to the LSP on a hop-by-hop basis.

The object mechanisms defined in this document are equally applicable
to Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) Packet Switch Capable (PSC) LSPs and to
GMPLS non-PSC LSPs.

This document replaces and obsoletes the previous version of this
work, published as RFC 4420.  The only change is in the encoding of the
Type-Length-Variable (TLV) data structures.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute