Subject: Last Call for Comments: Proposed work-around to the Pre-5378 Problem

From: Ed Juskevicius <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 00:28:11 -0500

The IETF Trustees met via telechat on February 5th to decide on some
proposed revisions to the "Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents"
policy, based on comments received from the community in the last two
weeks.  Please recall this work is being done to provide a work-around for
authors having the 'pre-5378 problem'.

The telechat was productive.  The Trustees reached consensus to do the
following:

1)  Clarify the copyright text at the beginning of the BSD license in
Section 4.1 to read as follows:

Copyright (c) <insert year> IETF Trust and the persons identified as its
authors.  All rights reserved.
2)  Replace the word "and" by the word "or" in one place so that the last
sentence of Section 6.c.iii becomes:

Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s) controlling the
copyright in such materials, this document may not be modified outside the
IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may not be created
outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format it for publication as
an RFC or to translate it into languages other than English.

3)  Fix some nits with respect to the inappropriate use of square brackets
'[' and ']' in two places.

The IETF Trust website has been updated with a new version of the draft
"Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents" including the changes
described in this message.  Please look for the documents dated 2009-02-05
at:
http://trustee.ietf.org/policyandprocedures.html .

If you have any final comments on this, please post them before the end of
February 7th.  This is the last call for comments.

Regards,

Ed Juskevicius, on behalf of the IETF Trustees
[email-masked]

---

From: Ed Juskevicius <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:53:04 -0500

I am pleased to announce that the IETF Trustees have just finished work on a
revision to our "Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents" policy.  The
revision includes optional new legend text in Section 6.c.iii of the
policy to serve as a work-around for people experiencing the "pre-5378
problem."

Please note the newly approved policy is dated 2009-02-12.  Please also note
that the Effective Date of this revised policy has been set to 2009-02-15.
The old policy (effective from November 10, 2008) remains in force until
00h00 UTC on February 15th.

The approved text is available now on IETF Trust website at
 http://trustee.ietf.org/policyandprocedures.html

Please look for the document dated 2009-02-12, just below the heading
labeled "DRAFT Policy and Procedures Being Developed."

On or shortly after February 15th, the Trust website will be updated so as
to archive all of the recent draft versions of the new policy, and to make
it easier to navigagte to the newly approved policy.

Please review the new policy so you are aware of the latest copyright
statements and other boilerplate legend text that will be required on
all contributions to the IETF starting on February 15, 2009.

Regards, and Thanks in advance,