Subject: RFC 5461 on TCP's Reaction to Soft Errors

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:14:20 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5461

        Title:      TCP's Reaction to Soft Errors 
        Author:     F. Gont
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 31749
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5461.txt

This document describes a non-standard, but widely implemented,
modification to TCP's handling of ICMP soft error messages that
rejects pending connection-requests when those error messages are
received.  This behavior reduces the likelihood of long delays
between connection-establishment attempts that may arise in a number
of scenarios, including one in which dual-stack nodes that have IPv6
enabled by default are deployed in IPv4 or mixed IPv4 and IPv6
environments.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute