Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Registration of Instant Messaging and Presence DNS SRV RRs for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:18:03 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Registration of Instant 
   Messaging and Presence DNS SRV RRs for the Session Initiation Protocol 
   (SIP) '
   <draft-loreto-simple-im-srv-label-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-loreto-simple-im-srv-label-03.txt

Technical Summary

This document registers with IANA two new DNS SRV Protocol Labels for
resolving Instant Messaging and Presence services with SIP. These
registrations are necessary because the original definitions of the SRV
system for resolving the protocol associated with the "im" and "pres" URI
schemes did not register any SIP service.

Working Group Summary

This document is an individual submission.

Document Quality

The RAI-ART team reviewed this document (review by Miguel Garcia).

Personnel

Jon Peterson reviewed this document for the IESG, and is the document
shepherd. Gen-ART review was provided by Suresh Krishnan.

RFC-Editor Note

  Section 3, addition after the third paragraph on page 4
(before the paragraph "Section 5 of [RFC3856] states that...):

ADDITION:

SIP supports both page [RFC3428] and session [RFC4975] IM mode. However a
DNS SRV lookup does not specify which SIP IM mode a domain offer. If the
UAC supports both session mode and page mode, it is then suggest to try
session mode first and if that mode is rejected, the UAC has to be ready
to fall back to page mode.

  Section 7,  "Normative References", addition as last reference:

ADDITION:

 [RFC4975]  Campbell, B., Mahy, R., and C. Jennings, "The Message
            Session Relay Protocol (MSRP)", RFC 4975, September 2007.