Subject: RFC 5495 on Description of the Resource Reservation Protocol - Traffic-Engineered (RSVP-TE) Graceful Restart Procedures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:47:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5495

        Title:      Description of the Resource Reservation 
                    Protocol - Traffic-Engineered (RSVP-TE) Graceful 
                    Restart Procedures 
        Author:     D. Li, J. Gao,
                    A. Satyanarayana, S. Bardalai
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 39325
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-gr-description-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5495.txt

The Hello message for the Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) has
been defined to establish and maintain basic signaling node
adjacencies for Label Switching Routers (LSRs) participating in a
Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) traffic-engineered (TE)
network.  The Hello message has been extended for use in Generalized
MPLS (GMPLS) networks for state recovery of control channel or nodal
faults.

The GMPLS protocol definitions for RSVP also allow a restarting node to
learn which label it previously allocated for use on a Label
Switched Path (LSP).

Further RSVP protocol extensions have been defined to enable a
restarting node to recover full control plane state by exchanging
RSVP messages with its upstream and downstream neighbors.

This document provides an informational clarification of the
control plane procedures for a GMPLS network when there are
multiple node failures, and describes how full control plane state
can be recovered in different scenarios where the order in which
the nodes restart is different.

This document does not define any new processes or procedures.  All
protocol mechanisms are already defined in the referenced documents.
This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute