Subject: Protocol Action: 'BFD for Multihop Paths' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:47:17 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'BFD for Multihop Paths '
   <draft-ietf-bfd-multihop-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bfd-multihop-07.txt

Technical Summary

   BFD can be useful on arbitrary paths between systems, which may
   span multiple network hops and follow unpredictable paths.
   Furthermore, a pair of systems may have multiple paths between them
   that may overlap.   This document describes the use of the 
   Bidirectional Forwarding Detection protocol (BFD) over multihop 
   paths, including unidirectional links.

Working Group Summary

   Working group progress has been reported as being quite smooth.  

Document Quality

   BFD as a whole is widely implemented and deployed and has become 
   part of default deployments on the internet. The drafts reflect
   the lessons learned from the deployed and operation. Multiple
   vendors have implemented and deployed BFD in operational networks. 
   However, I am not sure about use of BFD over multihop paths (it
   makes sense to deploy BFD over single links and MPLS LSPs first). 

   There are a few minor nits to be corrected based on Gen-Art and 
   Last Call comments. The authors would like to correct these along
   with any IESG comments received. 

Personnel

   Dave Ward is the document shepherd. Ross Callon is the responsible
   Area Director.