Subject: RFC 5491 on GEOPRIV Presence Information Data Format Location Object (PIDF-LO) Usage Clarification, Considerations, and Recommendations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:16:07 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5491

        Title:      GEOPRIV Presence Information Data Format 
                    Location Object (PIDF-LO) Usage Clarification, 
                    Considerations, and Recommendations 
        Author:     J. Winterbottom, M. Thomson,
                    H. Tschofenig
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 51681
        Updates:    RFC4119

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5491.txt

The Presence Information Data Format Location Object (PIDF-LO)
specification provides a flexible and versatile means to represent
location information.  There are, however, circumstances that arise
when information needs to be constrained in how it is represented.
In these circumstances, the range of options that need to be
implemented are reduced.  There is growing interest in being able to
use location information contained in a PIDF-LO for routing
applications.  To allow successful interoperability between
applications, location information needs to be normative and more
tightly constrained than is currently specified in RFC 4119
(PIDF-LO).  This document makes recommendations on how to constrain,
represent, and interpret locations in a PIDF-LO.  It further
recommends a subset of Geography Markup Language (GML) 3.1.1 that is
mandatory to implement by applications involved in location-based
routing.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute