Subject: Protocol Action: 'Modes of Operation for Camellia for Use With IPsec' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:51:56 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Modes of Operation for Camellia for Use With IPsec '
   <draft-kato-ipsec-camellia-modes-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kato-ipsec-camellia-modes-10.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes the use of the Camellia block cipher
   algorithm in Cipher Block Chaining (CBC) mode, Counter (CTR) mode and
   Counter with CBC-MAC (CCM) mode, as an IPsec Encapsulating Security
   Payload (ESP) mechanism to provide confidentiality, data origin
   authentication, and connectionless integrity.

Working Group Summary

   This is individual submission.  A request for comments was submitted
   to the email list associated with the concluded ipsec working group,
   and comments from Tero Kvinen were received and resolved.  The 
   authors also worked with Alfred  Hines to enhance the clarity of their
   document.

Document Quality

   There are at least two independent implementation of this
   Internet-Draft, which were used to generate and verify the
   test vectors.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd for this document is Akihiro KATO, and
   the Responsible Area Director is Tim Polk.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following substitution in section 1, paragraph 1:

OLD

   This document describes the use of the Camellia block cipher
   algorithm in Cipher Block Chaining (CBC) mode, Counter (CTR) mode,
   and Counter with CBC-MAC (CCM) mode, as an IKEv2 [1] and
   Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) [2] mechanism to provide
   confidentiality, data origin authentication, and connectionless
   integrity.

NEW

   This document describes the use of the Camellia block cipher
   algorithm in Cipher Block Chaining (CBC) mode, Counter (CTR) mode,
   and Counter with CBC-MAC (CCM) mode, as additional, optional
   to implement, IKEv2 [1] and Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) [2] 
   mechanisms to provide confidentiality, data origin authentication, and
   connectionless integrity.