Subject: Protocol Action: 'Vouch By Reference' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:19:07 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Vouch By Reference '
   <draft-hoffman-dac-vbr-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-dac-vbr-07.txt

Technical Summary

  Vouch By Reference (VBR) is a protocol for adding third-party
  certification to email.  It permits independent third parties to
  certify the owner of a domain name that is associated with received
  mail.  VBR may be performed anywhere along the email transit path, by
  any capable receiving module, either within the handling service or by
  end-user software.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not the product of any IETF WG.

Protocol Quality

  VBR has already been implemented in at least one SMTP server product,
  and pre-release implementations have been made by other developers.
  None have reported any technical issues with implementing it.

  The documents were reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.