Subject: RFC 5443 on LDP IGP Synchronization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:00:47 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5443

        Title:      LDP IGP Synchronization 
        Author:     M. Jork, A. Atlas, L. Fang
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 15475
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-igp-sync-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5443.txt

In certain networks, there is dependency on the edge-to-edge Label
Switched Paths (LSPs) setup by the Label Distribution Protocol (LDP),
e.g., networks that are used for Multiprotocol Label Switching
(MPLS) Virtual Private Network (VPN) applications.  For such
applications, it is not possible to rely on Internet Protocol (IP)
forwarding if the MPLS LSP is not operating appropriately.
Blackholing of labeled traffic can occur in situations where the
Interior Gateway Protocol (IGP) is operational on a link on which LDP is
not.  While the link could still be used for IP forwarding, it is not
useful for MPLS forwarding, for example, MPLS VPN applications or
Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) route-free cores.  This document
describes a mechanism to avoid traffic loss due to this condition
without introducing any protocol changes.  This memo provides 
information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute