Subject: RFC 5458 on Security Requirements for the Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:52:14 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5458

        Title:      Security Requirements for the Unidirectional 
                    Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) Protocol 
        Author:     H. Cruickshank, P. Pillai,
                    M. Noisternig, S. Iyengar
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 58733
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipdvb-sec-req-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5458.txt

The MPEG-2 standard defined by ISO 13818-1 supports a range of
transmission methods for a variety of services.  This document
provides a threat analysis and derives the security requirements
when using the Transport Stream, TS, to support an Internet
network-layer using Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation
(ULE) defined in RFC 4326.  The document also provides the
motivation for link-layer security for a ULE Stream.  A ULE Stream
may be used to send IPv4 packets, IPv6 packets, and other
Protocol Data Units (PDUs) to an arbitrarily large number of
Receivers supporting unicast and/or multicast transmission.

The analysis also describes applicability to the Generic Stream
Encapsulation (GSE) defined by the Digital Video Broadcasting
(DVB) Project.  This memo provides information for the Internet
community.

This document is a product of the IP over DVB Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute