Subject: RFC 5481 on Packet Delay Variation Applicability Statement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:01:34 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5481

        Title:      Packet Delay Variation Applicability Statement 
        Author:     A. Morton, B. Claise
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      39
        Characters: 92218
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5481.txt

Packet delay variation metrics appear in many different standards
documents.  The metric definition in RFC 3393 has considerable
flexibility, and it allows multiple formulations of delay variation
through the specification of different packet selection functions.

Although flexibility provides wide coverage and room for new ideas,
it can make comparisons of independent implementations more
difficult.  Two different formulations of delay variation have come
into wide use in the context of active measurements.  This memo
examines a range of circumstances for active measurements of delay
variation and their uses, and recommends which of the two forms is
best matched to particular conditions and tasks.  This memo provides 
information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute