Subject: Protocol Action: 'Routing Backus-Naur Form (RBNF) : A Syntax Used to Form Encoding Rules in Various Routing Protocol Specifications' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:38:47 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Routing Backus-Naur Form (RBNF) : A Syntax Used to Form Encoding Rules 
   in Various Routing Protocol Specifications '
   <draft-farrel-rtg-common-bnf-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-farrel-rtg-common-bnf-09.txt

Technical Summary

   Several protocols have been specified in the Routing Area of the IETF
   using a common variant of the Backus-Naur Form (BNF) of representing
   message syntax. However, there is no formal definition of this
   version of BNF.

   This document provides a formal definition of the variant of BNF that
   has been used (that we call Reduced BNF), and makes it available for
   use by new protocols.

Working Group Summary

   This is an individual submission with AD sponsorship. It was   
   presented to the routing area open meeting. A couple of people
   questioned whether this was needed at all, but no one objected
   to the content. The IETF last call was flagged to the CCAMP, 
   MPLS, PCE and TSVWG WGs, and to the routing-discussion email list. 

Document Quality

   Multiple existing routing area specifications use the subset
   of BNF defined in this document. 

Personnel

   Ross Callon is the sponsoring AD. Adrian Farrel is the author, 
   and has been shepherding this document through the various reviews.