Subject: RFC 5482 on TCP User Timeout Option

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:59:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5482

        Title:      TCP User Timeout Option 
        Author:     L. Eggert, F. Gont
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 33568
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-uto-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5482.txt

The TCP user timeout controls how long transmitted data may remain
unacknowledged before a connection is forcefully closed.  It is a
local, per-connection parameter.  This document specifies a new TCP
option -- the TCP User Timeout Option -- that allows one end of a TCP
connection to advertise its current user timeout value.  This
information provides advice to the other end of the TCP connection to
adapt its user timeout accordingly.  Increasing the user timeouts on
both ends of a TCP connection allows it to survive extended periods
without end-to-end connectivity.  Decreasing the user timeouts allows
busy servers to explicitly notify their clients that they will
maintain the connection state only for a short time without
connectivity.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute