Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 08:32:57 -0800 (PST)

A modified charter has been submitted for the Ad-Hoc Network
Autoconfiguration working group in the Internet Area of the IETF.  The
IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The modified charter is
provided below for informational purposes only.  Please send your comments
to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Wednesday, March 11, 2009.

Ad-Hoc Network Autoconfiguration (autoconf) 
------------------------------------------------------------- 
Last Modified: 2009-02-18 
 
Current Status: Active Working Group 
 
Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/autoconf 
 
Chair(s): 
Ryuji Wakikawa [[email-masked]] 
Thomas Clausen [[email-masked]] 
 
Internet Area Director(s): 
Jari Arkko [[email-masked]] 
Mark Townsley [[email-masked]] 
 
Internet Area Advisor: 
Jari Arkko [[email-masked]] 
 
Mailing Lists: 
General Discussion: [email-masked] 
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf 
Archive: 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/autoconf/current/maillist.html 
 
Description of Working Group: 
 
In order to communicate among themselves, ad hoc nodes (refer to RFC 
2501) need to configure their network interface(s) with local addresses 
that are valid within an ad hoc network. Ad hoc nodes may also need to 
configure globally routable addresses, in order to communicate with 
devices on the Internet. From the IP layer perspective, an ad hoc 
network presents itself as a L3 multi-hop network formed over a 
collection of links. 
 
The main purpose of the AUTOCONF WG is to describe the addressing model 
for ad hoc networks and how nodes in these networks configure their 
addresses. It is required that such models do not cause problems for ad 
hoc-unaware parts of the system, such as standard applications running 
on an ad hoc node or regular Internet nodes attached to the ad hoc 
nodes. This group's effort may include the development of new protocol 
mechanisms, should the existing IP autoconfiguration mechanisms be found 
inadequate. However, the first task of the working group is to describe 
one practical addressing model for ad hoc networks. 
 
Once this sole work item is completed, the group can be rechartered to 
work on additional issues. 
 
Goals and Milestones: 
 
Apr 2009 Submit initial draft on address configuration in ad hoc networks
Sep 2009 Submit address configuration draft to IESG as Informational or 
close WG