Subject: RFC 5429 on Sieve Email Filtering: Reject and Extended Reject Extensions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:59:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5429

        Title:      Sieve Email Filtering: Reject and 
                    Extended Reject Extensions 
        Author:     A. Stone, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 28822
        Obsoletes:  RFC3028
        Updates:    RFC5228

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5429.txt

This memo updates the definition of the Sieve mail filtering language
"reject" extension, originally defined in RFC 3028.

A "Joe-job" is a spam run forged to appear as though it came from an
innocent party, who is then generally flooded by automated bounces,
Message Disposition Notifications (MDNs), and personal messages with
complaints.  The original Sieve "reject" action defined in RFC 3028
required use of MDNs for rejecting messages, thus contributing to the
flood of Joe-job spam to victims of Joe-jobs.

This memo updates the definition of the "reject" action to allow
messages to be refused during the SMTP transaction, and defines the
"ereject" action to require messages to be refused during the SMTP
transaction, if possible.

The "ereject" action is intended to replace the "reject" action
wherever possible.  The "ereject" action is similar to "reject", but
will always favor protocol-level message rejection.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute