Subject: RFC 5503 on Private Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Proxy-to-Proxy Extensions for Supporting the PacketCable Distributed Call Signaling Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:47:03 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5503

        Title:      Private Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
                    Proxy-to-Proxy Extensions for Supporting the 
                    PacketCable Distributed Call Signaling Architecture 
        Author:     F. Andreasen, B. McKibben,
                    B. Marshall
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 80201
        Obsoletes:  RFC3603

        I-D Tag:    draft-andreasen-sipping-rfc3603bis-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5503.txt

In order to deploy a residential telephone service at a very large
scale across different domains, it is necessary for trusted elements
owned by different service providers to exchange trusted information
that conveys customer-specific information and expectations about the
parties involved in the call.  This document describes private
extensions to the Session Initiation Protocol, RFC 3261, for
supporting the exchange of customer information and billing
information between trusted entities in the PacketCable Distributed
Call Signaling Architecture.  These extensions provide mechanisms for
access network coordination to prevent theft of service, customer
originated trace of harassing calls, support for operator services
and emergency services, and support for various other regulatory
issues.  The use of the extensions is only applicable within closed
administrative domains, or among federations of administrative
domains with previously agreed-upon policies where coordination of
charging and other functions is required.  This memo provides 
information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute