Subject: Protocol Action: 'Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Extension to Establish Keys for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:58:33 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Extension to Establish Keys 
   for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) '
   <draft-ietf-avt-dtls-srtp-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-dtls-srtp-07.txt

Technical Summary

This document describes a Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) 
extension to establish keys for secure RTP (SRTP) and secure RTP 
Control Protocol (SRTCP) flows.  DTLS keying happens on the media 
path, independent of any out-of-band signalling channel present."

Working Group Summary

There was a discussion about which in band keying mechanism should be 
used; it is captured in draft-ietf-sip-media-security-requirements. 
There was rough consensus for this solution. 

Document Quality
 
There were indications by vendors that they will implement this 
solution. One vendor has shipping product with this, another 
has code used at interop events.

Pasi Eronen did a good review during the WGLC that helped with 
improving of the document. He is mentioned in section 10 of the 
document (Acknowledgments)

          Personnel
 
Roni Even is the document shepherd. 
The responsible area director is Cullen Jennings.

IANA Note

  Please note that IANA can not complete the actions in this 
  document until the IANA actions in ietf-tls-extractor are done.

  Eric Rescorla will the the designated expert for IANA.