Subject: Protocol Action: 'Generic Application of BFD' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:46:02 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Generic Application of BFD '
   <draft-ietf-bfd-generic-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bfd-generic-05.txt

Technical Summary

   As the utility of BFD has become understood, there have
   been calls to specify BFD interactions with a growing list of network
   functions.  Rather than producing a long series of short documents on
   the application of BFD, it seemed worthwhile to describe the
   interactions between BFD and other network functions ("BFD clients")
   in a broad way. This document describes the generic application of 
   the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) protocol.

Working Group Summary

   Working group progress has been reported as quite smooth. 

Document Quality

   The protocol is widely implemented and deployed and has become 
   part of default deployments on the internet. The drafts reflect
   the lessons learned from the deployed and operation. Multiple
   vendors have implemented and deployed BFD in operational networks. 

   There are a few minor nits to be corrected based on Gen-Art and 
   Last Call comments. The authors would like to correct these along
   with any IESG comments received. 

Personnel

   Dave Ward is the document shepherd. Ross Callon is the responsible
   Area Director.