Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extended URLFETCH for binary and converted parts' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:28:10 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Extended URLFETCH for binary and converted parts '
   <draft-cridland-urlfetch-binary-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Enhancements to Internet email to 
Support Diverse Service Environments Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Chris Newman and Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cridland-urlfetch-binary-03.txt

Technical Summary

  The URLFETCH command defined as part of URLAUTH provides a mechanism
  for third-parties to gain access to data held within messages in a
  user's private store, however, this data is sent verbatim, which is
  not suitable for a number of applications. This memo specifies a
  method for obtaining data in forms suitable for non-mail applications.

Working Group Summary

  There is consensus in the lemonade WG to publish this document.

Document Quality

  The Lemonade WG has reviewed the document.  The document has been
  checked manually and using idnits 2.08.10, and passed both checks.

Personnel 

  Eric Burger shepherds this document, has reviewed this document,
  and believes that this version is ready for forwarding to the IESG
  for publication.  Chris Newman has reviewed this for the IESG.

RFC Editor

  Replace the last 3 production of the ABNF with:
   url-meta-bodystruct   =  "BODYPARTSTRUCTURE" SP body

   url-meta-binary       =  "BINARY" SP ( nstring / literal8 )
      ; If content contains a NUL octet, literal8 MUST be used.
      ; Otherwise, content SHOULD use nstring.
      ; On decoding error NIL should be used.

   url-meta-body         =  "BODY" SP nstring