Subject: Protocol Action: 'RSVP Extensions for Path Key Support' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:49:20 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RSVP Extensions for Path Key Support '
   <draft-ietf-ccamp-path-key-ero-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-path-key-ero-04.txt

Technical Summary

   The paths taken by Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and
   Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) Traffic Engineering (TE) Label Switched
   Paths (LSPs) may be computed by Path Computation Elements (PCEs).
   Where the TE LSP crosses multiple domains, such as Autonomous Systems
   (ASes), the path may be computed by multiple PCEs that cooperate,
   with each responsible for computing a segment of the path.

   To preserve confidentiality of topology within each AS, the PCEs
   support a mechanism to hide the contents of a segment of a path (such
   as the segment of the path that traverses an AS), called the
   Confidential Path Segment (CPS), by encoding the contents as a Path
   Key Subobject (PKS) and embedding this subobject within the result of
   its path computation.

   This document describes how to carry Path Key Subobjects in the
   Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) Explicit Route Objects (EROs)
   and Record Route Object (RROs) so as to facilitate confidentiality in
   the signaling of inter-domain TE LSPs.

Working Group Summary

   Good consensus reported (see PROTO writeup by Deborah Brungard). 
   The draft was reviewed in last call by the CCAMP and PCE working
   groups, as well as IETF last call. 

   A last-minute question was raised on the number of bits assigned
   to the path key ID (should 16 be extended to 32). This was resolved
   in discussions on the PCE mailing list, and it was decided to leave
   it at 16 consistent with draft-ietf-pce-path-key-05.txt.

Document Quality

   There are several interoperable implementations of 
   draft-ietf-pce-path-key-05.txt. These implementations are of 
   no value without the extensions defined in this draft (since a
   computed path is of no value if you can't signal it).

   There is one known experimental implementation of the
   extensions defined in this draft.

Personnel

   Deborah Brungard is the Document Shepherd. Ross Callon is the
   responsible AD.