Subject: RFC 5506 on Support for Reduced-Size Real-Time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP): Opportunities and Consequences

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 14:22:55 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5506

        Title:      Support for Reduced-Size Real-Time Transport 
                    Control Protocol (RTCP): Opportunities and
                    Consequences 
        Author:     I. Johansson, M. Westerlund
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       April 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 41011
        Updates:    RFC3550, RFC3711, RFC4585

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-non-compound-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5506.txt

This memo discusses benefits and issues that arise when allowing
Real-time Transport Protocol (RTCP) packets to be transmitted with
reduced size.  The size can be reduced if the rules on how to create
compound packets outlined in RFC 3550 are removed or changed.  Based
on that analysis, this memo defines certain changes to the rules to
allow feedback messages to be sent as Reduced-Size RTCP packets under
certain conditions when using the RTP/AVPF (Real-time Transport
Protocol / Audio-Visual Profile with Feedback) profile (RFC 4585).
This document updates RFC 3550, RFC 3711, and RFC 4585.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute