Subject: RFC 5507 on Design Choices When Expanding the DNS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:46:44 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5507

        Title:      Design Choices When Expanding the DNS 
        Author:     P. Faltstrom, Ed., 
                    R. Austein, Ed., 
                    P. Koch, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       April 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 44045
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-dns-choices-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5507.txt

This note discusses how to extend the DNS with new data for a new
application.  DNS extension discussions too often focus on reuse of
the TXT Resource Record Type.  This document lists different
mechanisms to extend the DNS, and concludes that the use of a new DNS
Resource Record Type is the best solution.  This memo provides information 
for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute