Subject: RFC Editor Services Contracting Status

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 12:52:44 -0700 (PDT)

The IAOC issued an RFC Editor Services RFI on January 23, 2009 to identify
potential contractors to provide the RFC Editor services and to obtain
feedback from contractors and the broader Internet community on the
implementation of the new RFC services model based upon
<draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-04>.

Four responses were received by the deadline on March 6 from potential
contractors.  The RFI specified that vendor's input, including
identification and cost estimates, would be kept confidential except if
the vendors specified otherwise, and for responses in a specified section.

Here is a summary of the responses.

Paraphrasing the input regarding the RFC Editor Services model:

 Separating the Independent Submissions Editor and RFC Series Editor from
the Production Center and Publisher would create a systems of checks and
balances, and provide accountability and transparency.

 The model proposed in the RFI and draft-iab-rfc-editor-model provides
the proper separation between functions which are technical in nature and
those which are editorial and production oriented.

All expressed an interest in performing functions of the RFC Editor.

The IAOC is taking the following actions based upon consideration of this
input, previous community discussions, the recommendations of the RFC
Services Selection Oversight Subcommittee and its own judgment:

1. Independent Submissions Editor
a. The IAOC is recommending to the IAB that it use the Statement of Work
from the RFI for the Independent Submissions Editor when the IAB leads a
community-based selection process for the ISE.

2. RFC Series Editor
 a. The IAOC is recommending to the IAB that it lead a community-based
selection process to select the RFC Series Editor using the modified SOW.

3. RFC Publisher
 a. The IAOC will use the modified Publisher SOW.
 b. The IAOC will negotiate with the current Secretariat contractor for
delivering RFC Publisher services before deciding whether to sole source
the services or obtain competitive bids for the Publisher function.
 c. If an agreement with the current Secretariat contractor for the
Publisher services cannot be reached, the IAOC will issue a competitive
RFP for the services.

4. RFC Production Center
 a. The IAOC will use the Production Center SOW from the RFI.
 b. The IAOC will issue a draft RFP for the RFC Production Center for
community review.
 c. The IAOC will issue the RFC Production Center RFP following community
review.

5. Timing
 a. Items 3 and 4 above will be delayed until after the IAB reviews the
RFC Editor model at its  retreat the end of April.

There are matters still under discussion regarding the RFC Editor model
on the [email-masked] list.  The community is encouraged to
participate.

All of the approved SOWs mentioned above can be found at:
http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html
(See RFC Editor Services.)

The IAOC anticipates having all four services under contract or agreement
in October 2009.  Specific timelines will be announced for each component
by the responsible parties when the activities are undertaken.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director