Subject: RFC Editor Services Contracting Status - 2

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:39:19 -0700 (PDT)

To amplify - 

The announcement below indicated that 2 Statements of Work had been
changed.

The change to the RFC Publisher SOW was to section  A.4.(i) which was
deleted.
Deleted (i) capacity of 50,000 messages per hour, recipient side.

It was deleted because the requirement was too high.

The RFC Series Editor SOW was modified in two places as follows:

1. [new language is in brackets]
Paragraph 5 of the unlabeled introductory material

It is ultimately the job of the IAB to determine that the proposed
policies for the RFC Series are in line with the expectations of the
Internet community.  The RFC Series Editor will identify those issues
within the RFC processes for which general policies need to be developed
and make the IAB aware of those issues [and, where appropriate, propose
possible new or improved processes. The RFC Series Editor will also often
be tasked (with appropriate IAB and community review) with deciding how to
implement policies related to the RFC Series.] The RFC Series Editor will
act as a point of contact for the IAB for queries about the RFC Series
continuity and the effectiveness of policies.  

Language clarifies the process identification action, and responsibility
to implementing policies.

Section 2. A. 3  [new language is in brackets]
3. The RSE will exercise executive-level management over the
implementation of  policies, processes and procedures established to
ensure the quality and consistency of the RFC Series. [The RFC Series
Editor will work with the IAB to develop new policy, and, when
appropriate, advise the IAOC of policies and procedures that may impact
contract provisions, and of contract provisions that are not being
followed.]

For clarity, the bracketed new language replaces:
 The RFC Series Editor will work with the IAB and IAOC to develop new
policy and see that contractual agreements are met.

The new language is intended to clarify that policy matters were with the
IAB and contractual matters with the IAOC.

As indicated below the SOWs can be found at 
http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html (See RFC Editor Services.)

There are still matters under discussion regarding the RFC Editor  model
on the [email-masked] list.  It is anticipated that the
model, <draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-04>, will undergo additional changes
until the RFC is published.

Comments on the foregoing modifications to the SOWs should be made on the
RFC Interest list.  

Ray

The IAOC issued an RFC Editor Services RFI on January 23, 2009 to
identify
potential contractors to provide the RFC Editor services and to obtain
feedback from contractors and the broader Internet community on the
implementation of the new RFC services model based upon
<draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-04>.

Four responses were received by the deadline on March 6 from potential
contractors.  The RFI specified that vendor's input, including
identification and cost estimates, would be kept confidential except if
the vendors specified otherwise, and for responses in a specified section.

Here is a summary of the responses.

Paraphrasing the input regarding the RFC Editor Services model:

Separating the Independent Submissions Editor and RFC Series Editor from
the Production Center and Publisher would create a systems of checks and
balances, and provide accountability and transparency.

The model proposed in the RFI and draft-iab-rfc-editor-model provides
the proper separation between functions which are technical in nature and
those which are editorial and production oriented.

All expressed an interest in performing functions of the RFC Editor.

The IAOC is taking the following actions based upon consideration of this
input, previous community discussions, the recommendations of the RFC
Services Selection Oversight Subcommittee and its own judgment:

1. Independent Submissions Editor
a. The IAOC is recommending to the IAB that it use the Statement of Work
from the RFI for the Independent Submissions Editor when the IAB leads a
community-based selection process for the ISE.

2. RFC Series Editor
a. The IAOC is recommending to the IAB that it lead a community-based
selection process to select the RFC Series Editor using the modified SOW.

3. RFC Publisher
a. The IAOC will use the modified Publisher SOW.
b. The IAOC will negotiate with the current Secretariat contractor for
delivering RFC Publisher services before deciding whether to sole source
the services or obtain competitive bids for the Publisher function.
c. If an agreement with the current Secretariat contractor for the
Publisher services cannot be reached, the IAOC will issue a competitive
RFP for the services.

4. RFC Production Center
a. The IAOC will use the Production Center SOW from the RFI.
b. The IAOC will issue a draft RFP for the RFC Production Center for
community review.
c. The IAOC will issue the RFC Production Center RFP following community
review.

5. Timing
a. Items 3 and 4 above will be delayed until after the IAB reviews the
RFC Editor model at its  retreat the end of April.

There are matters still under discussion regarding the RFC Editor model
on the [email-masked] list.  The community is encouraged to
participate.

All of the approved SOWs mentioned above can be found at:
http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfpsrfis.html
(See RFC Editor Services.)

The IAOC anticipates having all four services under contract or agreement
in October 2009.  Specific timelines will be announced for each component
by the responsible parties when the activities are undertaken.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director