Subject: Protocol Action: 'A One-Way Packet Duplication Metric' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:55:09 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A One-Way Packet Duplication Metric '
   <draft-ietf-ippm-duplicate-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-duplicate-08.txt

Technical Summary

  When a packet is sent from one host to the other, one normally
  expects that exactly one copy of the packet that was sent arrives
  at the destination.  It is, however, possible that a packet is
  either lost or that multiple copies arrive.  This document defines
  a metric for the case where a packet is sent, but multiple copies
  arrive.  The document also discusses streams and methods to
  summarize the results of streams.

Working Group Summary

  This document was suggested when creating a succint summary of IPPM
  metrics for reporting to users; this was one that was missing from the
  IPPM metric suite.  There is consensus that this is the right
definition.
  There has been some question as to whether the definition is crisp and
  unambiguous for both IPv4 and IPv6, and the document has been modified
  to address those concerns.

Document Quality

  The shepherd knows of no current implementations that claim to
implement this
  metric. However, vendors in the working group have read and agreed with
the
  specification.

Personnel

  Matt Zekauskas ([email-masked]) was the Document Shepherd.
  Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed the document for the IESG.