Subject: RFC 5511 on Routing Backus-Naur Form (RBNF): A Syntax Used to Form Encoding Rules in Various Routing Protocol Specifications

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:54:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5511

        Title:      Routing Backus-Naur Form (RBNF): A 
                    Syntax Used to Form Encoding Rules 
                    in Various Routing Protocol Specifications 
        Author:     A. Farrel
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       April 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 27026
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-farrel-rtg-common-bnf-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5511.txt

Several protocols have been specified in the Routing Area of the IETF
using a common variant of the Backus-Naur Form (BNF) of representing
message syntax.  However, there is no formal definition of this
version of BNF.

There is value in using the same variant of BNF for the set of
protocols that are commonly used together.  This reduces confusion and
simplifies implementation.

Updating existing documents to use some other variant of BNF that is
already formally documented would be a substantial piece of work.

This document provides a formal definition of the variant of BNF that
has been used (that we call Routing BNF) and makes it available
for use by new protocols.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute