Subject: RFC 5513 on IANA Considerations for Three Letter Acronyms

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:24:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5513

        Title:      IANA Considerations for Three Letter 
                    Acronyms 
        Author:     A. Farrel
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       1 April 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 13931
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-farrel-iana-tla-registry-00.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5513.txt

Three Letter Acronyms (TLAs) are commonly used to identify components
of networks or protocols as designed or specified within the IETF.  A
common concern is that one acronym may have multiple expansions.
While this may not have been an issue in the past, network
convergence means that protocols that did not previously operate
together are now found in close proximity.  This results in
contention for acronyms, and confusion in interpretation.  Such
confusion has the potential to degrade the performance of the
Internet as misunderstandings lead to misconfiguration or other
operating errors.

Given the growing use of TLAs and the relatively small number
available, this document specifies a Badly Construed Proposal (BCP) for the
management of a registry of TLAs within the IETF, and the procedures
for the allocation of new TLAs from the registry.  This memo provides 
information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute