Subject: Protocol Action: 'Transport Subsystem for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 07:25:25 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Transport Subsystem for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) '
   <draft-ietf-isms-tmsm-18.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Integrated Security Model for SNMP 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Pasi Eronen and Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isms-tmsm-18.txt

Technical Summary

   The document defines a Transport Subsystem, extending the Simple
   Network Management Protocol (SNMP) architecture defined in RFC
   3411. The subsystem can contain Transport Models comparable to
   other subsystems in the RFC 3411 architecture.  The Transport
   Subsystem can be used to expand the transports to include secure
   transports such as SSH or TLS.

Working Group Summary

   The working group went over several revisions of this document
   while developing a Transport Model for SSH. The document did
   stabilize several revisions ago and has mainly been kept back to
   track clarifications and to ensure the new subsystem works with the
   SSH transport defined in a companion document. There has been
   strong WG consensus on revision 16 of this document.

Document Quality

   There are two known implementations in progress of secure transport
   models. A concrete SSH subsystem has been worked out by the ISMS
   working group and a DTLS subsystem is in progress as an individual
   draft and it seems the Transport Subsystem defined in this document
   is capable to supports both secure transports.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Juergen Schoenwaelder, and the responsible
   area director is Pasi Eronen. The IANA Expert for the registries in
   this document is David Harrington ([email-masked]).