Subject: Protocol Action: 'Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 3.2 Message Specification' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 07:29:51 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 3.2 
   Message Specification '
   <draft-ietf-smime-3851bis-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-3851bis-11.txt

Technical Summary

     This document specifies the Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail
     Extensions (S/MIME) version 3.2. It is the third update of the
     S/MIME Message Specification (aka S/MIME MSG v3.2) and it will
     obsolete RFC 3851, when approved.  Note that Annex A recommends
     moving RFC 2311, which is S/MIME MSG v2, to historic status.

Working Group Summary

     The majority of the S/MIME WG discussion was on what key sizes
     and which algorithms to support.  The initial proposal included
     ECC algorithms as SHOULDs, but they were removed.  After removal
     of the ECC algorithms, the S/MIME WG quickly reached a consensus
     on the algorithms. The key size discussion had two camps "go big"
     and "be realistic".  The rough consensus is pragmatic and is
     supported by widely deployed implementations, but permits use of
     relatively small key sizes.

Document Quality

     S/MIME has numerous implementations. In fact, many implementations
     already support the algorithms and key sizes specied in this
     document, with the exception of RSA-PSS and RSA-OAEP.

Personnel

     Russ Housley is the document Shepherd.
     Tim Polk is the responsible Security Area AD.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following substitution in Appendix A, replacing RFC XXXX
with the number assigned to this RFC:

OLD

   DEFINITIONS IMPLICIT TAGS ::=

NEW

   DEFINITIONS IMPLICIT TAGS ::=

--
--   Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as
--   authors of the code.  All rights reserved.
--
--   Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
--   modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
--   are met:
--
--   - Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
--     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
--
--   - Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
--     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
--     the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
--     distribution.
--
--   - Neither the name of Internet Society, IETF or IETF Trust, nor the
--     names of specific contributors, may be used to endorse or promote
--     products derived from this software without specific prior
--     written permission.
--
--
--
--   THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
--   'AS IS' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
--   LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
--   A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
--   OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
--   SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
--   LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
--   DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
--   THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
--   (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
--   OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
--
--   This version of the ASN.1 module is part of RFC XXXX;
--   see the RFC itself for full legal notices.
--