Subject: Protocol Action: 'MPLS Generic Associated Channel' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 10:35:31 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'MPLS Generic Associated Channel '
   <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-gach-gal-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-gach-gal-06.txt

Technical Summary

This document generalizes the applicability of the pseudowire (PW)
Associated Channel Header (ACH), enabling the realization of a control
channel associated to MPLS Label Switched Paths (LSPs) and MPLS Sections
in addition to MPLS pseudowires.  In order to identify the presence of
this Associated Channel Header in the label stack, this document also
assigns one of the reserved MPLS label values to the Generic Associated
Channel Label (GAL), to be used as a label based exception mechanism.

Working Group Summary

No real controversies, though quite a bit of discussion on the number of
experimental code points.

Document Quality

The level of the review is very good. The document has been reviewed by
the ITU-T ad hoc Team on MPLS-TP.

Personnel

   Loa Andersson is the Document Shepherd for this document.
   Adrian Farrel is the Responsible Area Director.