Subject: RFC 5532 on Network File System (NFS) Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) Problem Statement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 16:23:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5532

        Title:      Network File System (NFS) Remote 
                    Direct Memory Access (RDMA) Problem Statement 
        Author:     T. Talpey, C. Juszczak
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       May 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 36746
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfs-rdma-problem-statement-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5532.txt

This document addresses enabling the use of Remote Direct Memory
Access (RDMA) by the Network File System (NFS) protocols.  NFS
implementations historically incur significant overhead due to data
copies on end-host systems, as well as other processing overhead.
This document explores the potential benefits of RDMA to these
implementations and evaluates the reasons why RDMA is especially
well-suited to NFS and network file protocols in general.  This 
memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute