Subject: RFC 5448 on Improved Extensible Authentication Protocol Method for 3rd Generation Authentication and Key Agreement (EAP-AKA')

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 15:01:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5448

        Title:      Improved Extensible Authentication Protocol Method 
                    for 3rd Generation Authentication and Key 
                    Agreement (EAP-AKA') 
        Author:     J. Arkko, V. Lehtovirta,
                    P. Eronen
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       May 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 60641
        Updates:    RFC4187

        I-D Tag:    draft-arkko-eap-aka-kdf-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5448.txt

This specification defines a new EAP method, EAP-AKA', which is a
small revision of the EAP-AKA (Extensible Authentication Protocol
Method for 3rd Generation Authentication and Key Agreement) method.
The change is a new key derivation function that binds the keys
derived within the method to the name of the access network.  The new
key derivation mechanism has been defined in the 3rd Generation
Partnership Project (3GPP).  This specification allows its use in EAP
in an interoperable manner.  In addition, EAP-AKA' employs SHA-256
instead of SHA-1.

This specification also updates RFC 4187, EAP-AKA, to prevent bidding
down attacks from EAP-AKA'.  This memo provides information for the 
Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute