Subject: Protocol Action: 'Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCPv4 and DHCPv6) Options for IEEE 802.21 Mobility Services (MoS) Discovery' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 12:16:09 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCPv4 and DHCPv6) Options for 
   IEEE 802.21 Mobility Services (MoS) Discovery '
   <draft-ietf-mipshop-mos-dhcp-options-14.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobility for IP: Performance, 
Signaling and Handoff Optimization Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mipshop-mos-dhcp-options-14.txt

Technical Summary

   The document defines the necessary Dynamic Host Configuration
   Protocol (DHCPv4 and DHCPv6) options that contain a list of domain
   name or IP addresses that can be mapped to servers providing IEEE
   802.21 type of Mobility Services [MSFD]. These Mobility Services
   are used to assist an MN in handover preparation (network discovery)
   and handover decision (network selection). The services addressed
   in this document are the Media Independent Handover Services
   defined in [IEEE802.21].

Working Group Summary

   This is a product of the MIPSHOP WG. There has also been
   considerable discussion in the DHC WG about the way this
   draft used or uses options. The resulting document is
   not unanimously supported, but represents the rough
   consensus.

Document Quality

   There are no known implementations or vendor plans to implement
   the specification.

Personnel

   Document shepherd: Vijay Devarapalli
   Responsible AD: Jari Arkko

RFC Editor Note

   Change the following in the IANA considerations section:

   OLD:   
   The values '0', and '4' to '255' are reserved. New Values can be
   allocated via Standards Action as defined in [RFC5226].
   NEW:
   The values '0' and '255' are reserved. Values '1' through '3' are
   allocated as above, and the rest are available for allocation.
   New values can be allocated via Standards Action as defined
   in [RFC5226].

   OLD:
   This document creates a new registry for the sub-option field in
   the MoS DHCPv6 Address and FQDN options called the "IEEE 802.21
   Service Type" (Section 4 and 5).
        IS                       1
        CS                       2
        ES                       3
   The values '0', and '4' to '65535' are reserved. New Values can be
   allocated via Standards Action as defined in [RFC5226].
   NEW:
   This document creates a new registry for the sub-option field in
   the MoS DHCPv6 Address and FQDN options called the "IEEE 802.21
   IPv6 Service Type" (Section 4 and 5).
        IS                       1
        CS                       2
        ES                       3
   The values '0' and '65535' are reserved. Values '1' through '3' are
   allocated as above, and the rest are available for allocation.
   New values can be allocated via Standards Action as defined
   in [RFC5226].

   Delete this text from Sections 2 and 3:
   OLD:
   *Note: The values `0` and '4' to '255' are reserved.
   NEW:
   (deleted, and please remove the "*" from the preceding tables)

   Delete this text from Sections 4 and 5:
   OLD:
   *Note: The values `0` and '4' to '65535' are reserved.
   NEW:
   (deleted, and please remove the "*" from the preceding tables)