Subject: Protocol Action: 'The DCCP Service Code' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 06:49:58 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The DCCP Service Code '
   <draft-ietf-dccp-serv-codes-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-serv-codes-11.txt

Technical Summary

  This document describes the usage of Service Codes by the Datagram
  Congestion Control Protocol, RFC 4340. It motivates the setting of a
  Service Code by applications. Service Codes provide a method to
  identify the intended service/application to process a DCCP
  connection request. This provides improved flexibility in the use and
  assignment of port numbers for connection multiplexing. The use of a
  DCCP Service Code can also enable more explicit coordination of
  services with middleboxes (e.g. network address translators and
  firewalls). This document updates the specification provided in RFC
  4340.

Working Group Summary

  The WG consensus process for this document was uneventful.

Document Quality

  There are existing implementations of DCCP that utilise Service Codes.
  Some implementors were involved in the WG discussion. Compliance of the
  implementation with the final Spec. has not been verified. No interops 
  were performed.

Personnel

  Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed this document for the
IESG.