Subject: Nomcom 2009-10: Second Call for Volunteers

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 09:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all, 

As noted last week, the IETF nominating committee process for 2009-10 is
underway. The list of people and posts whose terms end with the March 2010
IETF meeting, and thus the positions for which the nominating committee is
responsible, are summarized in the initial announcement:  
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ann/nomcom/1936/

The IETF nominating committee appoints folks to fill the open slots on
the IAOC, the IAB, and the IESG. The 10 nominating committee members are
selected randomly from a pool of volunteers.  The details of the operation
of the nomcom can be found in RFC 3777.  

We've had a very good response to the initial call for volunteers, with
the following individuals currently in the pool:

Marc Blanchet, Viagénie
John Drake, Boeing Satellite Systems
Stephen Hanna, Juniper Networks
Lixia Zhang, UCLA
Sean Turner, IECA, Inc.
Wassim Haddad, Ericsson
David H. Crocker, Brandenburg InternetWorking
David Meyer, Cisco/University of Oregon
Kurt Zeilenga, Isode Limited
Spencer Dawkins, Huawei Technologies (USA)
Yi Zhao, Huawei USA
Glen Zorn, Network Zen
Christian Schmidt, Nokia Siemens Networks
Jouni Korhonen, Nokia Siemens Networks
Enrico Marocco, Telecom Italia
Ingemar Johansson, Ericsson AB
Christer Holmberg, LM Ericsson 
Theo Zourzouvillys, VoIP.co.uk
Scott Brim, Cisco 
Bernie Hoeneisen, Swisscom
Stephen Farrell, Trinity College Dublin/NewBay Software
Simon Perreault, Viagénie
Teemu Savolainen, Nokia
Suresh Krishnan, Ericsson
David Sinicrope, Ericsson  
Stephen Kent, BBN Technologies
Richard Barnes, BBN Technologies
Pete Resnick, Qualcomm Incorporated
Feng Hu, Huawei
Salvatore Loreto, Ericsson
Jan Melen, Ericsson
Mehmet Ersue, Nokia Siemens Networks
Yakov Rekhter, Juniper Networks
Conny Jorgen Larsson, Ericsson AB
Joe Abley, ICANN
Shane Kerr, ISC

If you have volunteered and are not on the above list or have not heard
from me otherwise, please contact me ASAP.

However, we still need more volunteers - the more volunteers, the better
chance we have of choosing a random yet representative cross section of
the IETF population.  And, while you have until July 3rd to volunteer,
volunteering early really improves the efficiency of the administrative
process and ensures that we can quickly make the selection after the
deadline. 

As a reminder, volunteers must have attended 3 of the past 5 IETF
meetings - per RFC 3777, which means 3 of the following meetings: IETF-70,
IETF-71, IETF-72, IETF-73 and IETF-74.  If you qualify, and are willing to
forgo appointment to any of the positions for which the nominating
committee is responsible, please volunteer. 

The primary activity for this nomcom will begin just prior to IETF-75 in
Stockholm and should be completed in early January 2010.  The nomcom will
be collecting requirements from the community, as well as talking to
candidates and to community members about candidates. There will be weekly
conference calls to ensure progress. Thus, being a nomcom member does
require some time commitment.  While, there is no requirement in RFC 3777
that a participant attend IETF meetings while serving on nomcom, folks
should consider that during the IETF meetings, folks that do not attend
would be expected to remotely participate during the day in the timezones
of the meeting locations - Stockholm the end of July and Hiroshima in
November. 

If you are not yet sure you would like to volunteer, please consider that
nomcom members play a very important role in shaping the leadership of the
IETF.  Ensuring the leadership of the IETF is fair and balanced and
comprised of those who can lead the IETF in the right direction is an
important responsibility that rests on the IETF participants at large.
Volunteering for the nomcom is a good way of contributing in that
direction.

Please volunteer by sending an email before 5:00 pm CDT July 3, 2009 as
follows:

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Nomcom 2009-10 Volunteer

Please include the following information in the body:

<Your Full Name>  // As you enter in the IETF Registration Form,
                  // First/Given name followed by Last/Family Name 
                  // Please include all variations of names you might have
used

<Current Primary Affiliation>
                  // as entered in the in the IETF Registration Form 

<Preferred email address>  

<all email addresses used to Register for the past 5 IETF meetings> 

<Telephone number>         // May be used for confirmation if selected

Please expect an email response from me within 1-2 days.  If you don't
receive a response, please re-send your email with the tag "Duplicate:"
added to the subject line.

I will be publishing a more detailed target timetable, as well as details
of the randomness seeds to be used for the RFC 3797 selection process
within the next couple weeks.

Thank you,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]
[email-masked]