Subject: Document Action: 'Internet Mail Architecture' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 15:59:19 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Internet Mail Architecture '
   <draft-crocker-email-arch-14.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-email-arch-14.txt

Technical Summary

  Public discussion of the Internet Mail service often lacks
  common terminology and a common frame of reference for these
  components and their activities.  Having a common reference
  model and terminology makes a basic difference when talking
  about problems with the service, changes in policy, or
  enhancement to the service's functionality.  This document
  offers an enhanced Internet Mail architecture that targets
  description of the existing service, in order to facilitate
  clearer and more efficient technical, operations and policy
  discussions about email.

Working Group Summary

  This document was discussed within the mail community on the
  mailing lists dedicated to SMTP and the Mail Format. Some of the
  terms came about as a compromise after long discussions, but
  rough consensus was achieved on all points. Members of the
  working groups dealing with IMAP and LEMONADE were aware of this
  effort, but it was not an appropriate topic for those working
  groups to place on their charters. There is no other current
  working group dealing with the mail system in general.

Document Quality

  This document does not create a protocol specification.

  The acknowledgments indicate that Graham Klyne, Pete Resnick
  and Steve Atkins provided thoughtful insight on the framework
  and details of the original drafts. A number of other people
  have provided additional reviews and insights.

Personnel

  Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Tony Hansen
  Who is the Responsible Area Director? Chris Newman and Alexey Melnikov
  have reviewed this document for IESG.

RFC Editor Note

  Please replace [RFC3685] with [RFC5235].

  In Section 3.4.1, 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence:
  OLD:
    Message-ID: is be globally unique.
                   ^^
  NEW:
    Message-ID: is globally unique.
                  ^