Subject: Document Action: 'Report from the IETF workshop on P2P Infrastructure, May 28, 2008' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:19:02 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Report from the IETF workshop on P2P Infrastructure, May 28, 2008 '
   <draft-p2pi-cooper-workshop-report-01.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Cullen Jennings.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-p2pi-cooper-workshop-report-01.txt

Technical Summary
 
  This document reports the outcome of a workshop organized by the
   Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Directors of the IETF
   to discuss network delay and congestion issues resulting from
   increased P2P traffic volumes.  The workshop was held on May 28, 2008
   at MIT in Cambridge, MA, USA.  The goals of the workshop were
   twofold: to understand the technical problems ISPs and end users are
   experiencing as a result of high volumes of P2P traffic, and to begin
   to understand how the IETF may be helpful in addressing these
   problems.

Working Group Summary

  This is not the product of a WG. 

Document Quality

  The document is a thing of beauty. 

Personnel

   Cullen Jennings is responsible AD. 

RFC Editor Note

Please ensure this document is "Informational" not "Standards Track". (it
is correct in the tracker but wrong on the front page of the draft. 

On page 4, please adjust spellings as appropriate for 
s/properietary/proprietary/
s/seperate/separate/

On Page 8, 
Replace AQM with 
AQM (Adaptive Queue Management

The reference with anchor [RFC2474] points to RFC2475. Please fix it to
read RFC2474.

Please make the following changes to draft-p2pi-cooper-workshop-report:

(1) In Section 2, please insert the following sentence after the first
sentence in the second paragraph:

The general class of congestion problems attributable to always-on,
high-volume applications require the development of solutions that are
reasonable for operators, applications, and subscribers.

(2) In Section 2, in the sentence below, please change the word "may" to
"will likely":

Although the workshop focused primarily on the specific causes and
effects of current P2P traffic volumes, it may be useful in the future for
the IETF to consider how to pursue solutions to these larger problems.

(3) In Section 4, please add the following sentence to the end of the
last paragraph:

Even users with dedicated bandwidth can experience delays as their own
P2P traffic saturates the link and dominates their own more
latency-sensitive traffic.

(4) Please replace Appendix C with the following:

1.  Welcome/Note Well/Intro Slides
	Cullen Jennings

2.  Service Provider Perspective (Comcast)
	Rich Woundy and Jason Livingood

3.  Application Designer Perspective (BitTorrent)
	Stanislav Shalunov

4.  Lightning Talks & General Discussion
	Robb Topoloski
	Nick Weaver
	Leslie Daigle

5.  Localization and Caches
	Laird Popkin and Haiyong Xie
	Yu-Shun Wang
	Vinay Aggrawal

6.  New Approaches to Congestion
	Bob Briscoe
	Marcin Matuszewski

7.  Quality of Service
	Mary Barnes
	Henning Schulzrinne

8.  Conclusions & Wrap-Up

(5) Please add the following text at the end of Appendix D:

Position papers:

Nick Weaver - The case for "Ugly Now" User Fairness

Paul Jessop - Position paper of the RIAA

Nikloaos Laotaris, Pablo Rodriguez, Laurent Massoulie - ECHOES:
Edge Capacity Hosting Overlays of Nano Data Centers

Bruce Davie, Stefano Previdi, Jan Medved, Albert Tian - Peer
Selection Guidance

Marie-Jose Montpetit - Community Networks: getting P2P out of prison
- the next steps

D. Bryan, S. Dawkins, B. Lowekamp, E. Shim - Infrastructure-related
Attributes of App Scenarios for P2PSIP

Jiang XingFeng - Analysis of the Service Discovery in DHT network

R. Penno - P2P Status and Requirements

Patrick Crowley and Shakir James - Symbiotic P2P: Resolving the
conflict between ISPs and BitTorrent through mutual cooperation

Robb Topolski  - Framing Peer to Peer File Sharing

M. Stiemerling, S. Niccolini, S. Kiesel, J. Seedorf - A Network
Cooperative Overlay System

Y. Wang, S. Tan, R. Grove - Traffic Localization with Multi-Layer,
Tracker-Based Peer-to-Peer Content Distribution Architecture

Haiyong Xie, Y. Richard Yang, Avi Silberschatz, Arvind
Krishnamurthy, Laird Popkin - P4P: Provider Portal for P2P Applications

Michael Merritt, Doug Pasko, Laird Popkin - Network-Friendly
Peer-to-Peer Services

Camiant (Jackson) - Camiant Submission

Jason Livingood, Rich Woundy - Comcast Submission

Benny Rodrig - Enterprise IP Networks and the P2P Traffic Load
Impact

Ted Hardie - Peer-to-Peer traffic and "Unattended Consequences"

Jiang XingFeng, Ning Zong - Content Replication for Internet P2P
Applications

Sandvine (Dundas) - Analysis of Traffic Demographics in Broadbank
networks

Sandvine (Dundas) - Traffic  Management in a World with Network
Neutrality

Stanislav Shalunov - Users want P2P, we make it work

R. Cuevas, A. Cuevas, I. Martinez-Yelmo, C. Guerrero - Internet
scale mobility service: a case study on building a DHT based service for
ISPs

M. Barnes, B. McCormick - Peer to Peer Infrastructure
Considerations

Henning Schulzrinne - Encouraging Bandwidth Efficiency for
Peer-to-Peer Applications

Damien Saucez, Benoit Donnet, Olivier Bonaventure, Dimitri
Papdimitriou - Towards an Open Path Selection Architecture

Eric Rescorla - Notes on P2P Blocking and Evasion

Vinay Aggrawal, Anja Feldmann - ISP-Aided Neighbor Selection in P2P
Systems

Enrico Marocco, Vijay K. Gurbani, Volker Hilt, Ivica Rimac, Marco
Tomsu - Peer-to-Peer Infrastructure: A Survey of Research on the
Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Problem and the Need for Layer
Cooperation

Tony Moncaster, Bob Briscoe, Louise Burness - Is There a Problem
With Peer-to-peer Traffic?

David Sohn, Alissa Cooper - Peer-to-Peer Infrastructure
Considerations

Bob Briscoe, Lou Burness, Tony Moncaster, Phil Eardley - Solving
this traffic management problem... and the next, and the next

Hannes Tschofenig, Marcin Matuszewski - Dealing with P2P Traffic in an
Operator Network

Jean-François Mulé - CableLabs submission

Alan Arolovitch - Peer&#8208;to&#8208;peer infrastructure: Case for
cooperative P2P caching

Leslie Daigle - Defining Success:  Questions for the Future of the
Internet and Bandwidth-Intensive Activities

William Check, Rex Bullinger -- NCTA Position Paper

Jari Arkko - Incentives and Deployment Considerations for P2PI Solutions