Subject: RFC 5533 on Shim6: Level 3 Multihoming Shim Protocol for IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:39:55 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5533

        Title:      Shim6: Level 3 Multihoming Shim 
                    Protocol for IPv6 
        Author:     E. Nordmark, M. Bagnulo
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      124
        Characters: 299931
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-shim6-proto-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5533.txt

This document defines the Shim6 protocol, a layer 3 shim for
providing locator agility below the transport protocols, so that
multihoming can be provided for IPv6 with failover and load-sharing
properties, without assuming that a multihomed site will have a
provider-independent IPv6 address prefix announced in the global IPv6
routing table.  The hosts in a site that has multiple provider-
allocated IPv6 address prefixes will use the Shim6 protocol specified
in this document to set up state with peer hosts so that the state
can later be used to failover to a different locator pair, should the
original one stop working.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Site Multihoming by IPv6 Intermediation Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute