Subject: RFC 5565 on Softwire Mesh Framework

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 17:00:14 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5565

        Title:      Softwire Mesh Framework 
        Author:     J. Wu, Y. Cui,
                    C. Metz, E. Rosen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 75039
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-framework-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5565.txt

The Internet needs to be able to handle both IPv4 and IPv6 packets.
However, it is expected that some constituent networks of the
Internet will be "single-protocol" networks.  One kind of
single-protocol network can parse only IPv4 packets and can process
only IPv4 routing information; another kind can parse only IPv6
packets and can process only IPv6 routing information.  It is
nevertheless required that either kind of single-protocol network be
able to provide transit service for the "other" protocol.  This is
done by passing the "other kind" of routing information from one edge
of the single-protocol network to the other, and by tunneling the
"other kind" of data packet from one edge to the other.  The tunnels
are known as "softwires".  This framework document explains how the
routing information and the data packets of one protocol are passed
through a single-protocol network of the other protocol.  The
document is careful to specify when this can be done with existing
technology and when it requires the development of new or modified
technology.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Softwires Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute