Subject: Call for Comments: "Uncoordinated Protocol Development Considered Harmful"

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 03:07:34 -0700 (PDT)

The IAB intends to publish the following document and invites any
comments you might have:

"Uncoordinated Protocol Development Considered Harmful"
 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-mpls-tp-uncoord-harmful-00

Abstract

  This document identifies various types of damage that may occur
  without formal coordination and joint development on protocols of
  mutual interest between standards development organizations.  The IAB
  has selected T-MPLS as recent case study to describe hazard to both
  the MPLS and Internet architecture as a result of uncoordinated
  adaptation of a protocol.

  This experience has resulted in a considerable improvement in the
  relationship between the two organisations.  In particular, this was
  achieved via the establishment of the "Joint working team on MPLS-TP"
  which was the first ever joint ITU/IETF group.  In addition, the
  leadership of the two organisations have agreed to improve inter-
  organizational working practices so as to avoid conflict in future
  between ITU-T Recommendations and IETF RFCs.

Please provide your feedback before June 28, 2009.

For the IAB,

--Olaf Kolkman
 IAB Chair