Subject: RFC 5535 on Hash-Based Addresses (HBA)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:45:00 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5535

        Title:      Hash-Based Addresses (HBA) 
        Author:     M. Bagnulo
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       June 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 63994
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-shim6-hba-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5535.txt

This memo describes a mechanism to provide a secure binding between
the multiple addresses with different prefixes available to a host
within a multihomed site.  This mechanism employs either
Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGAs) or a new variant of the
same theme that uses the same format in the addresses.  The main idea
in the new variant is that information about the multiple prefixes is
included within the addresses themselves.  This is achieved by
generating the interface identifiers of the addresses of a host as
hashes of the available prefixes and a random number.  Then, the
multiple addresses are generated by prepending the different prefixes
to the generated interface identifiers.  The result is a set of
addresses, called Hash-Based Addresses (HBAs), that are inherently
bound to each other.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Site Multihoming by IPv6 Intermediation Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute