Subject: Update to the IETF Web Site

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:25:16 -0700 (PDT)

For the last 10 months, the IETF Secretariat at the direction of the
IAOC and input form the IESG and the IETF community has been working on
an overhaul of the IETF web site.  The goals for the new site were simple
and included:

1) Make it easier for those who are new to the IETF to get involved;

2) Make it easier for experienced community members to access the  
   tools and information they most need; and
   
3) Ensure that the web site is compliant with W3C standards and  
   accessible to as many people as possible.

The revised web site is currently located at www6.ietf.org.  Please
explore it.  One of the first places you may want to start is at the
very bottom of the left navigation bar, where you will see the
"Customize View" link.  The default view is "Normal" and if you click
on one of the other views you will see slightly different views of the
navigation bar and home page.  As you move through the rest of the site,
the navigation bar will be appear as you selected.

On July 6th, the new web site will go live as www.ietf.org.  The old
site will then be accessible at www4.ietf.org, but the Secretariat will
not be updating it any longer, so it will quickly become stale.

At the end of August, the old web site will be takes offline.  These two
months will be used to ensure that all of the web content is available
on the new web site and allow any tools that extract content to be
updated.

Any web site is a work in progress.  The IAOC and the Secretariat are
committed to continuing to improve the web site.  So, please let us send
email to the IETF Executive Director, Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>,
with suggestions for further improvements.  She is looking forward to
receiving your suggestions and constructive criticism.

Russ Housley
IETF Chair