Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Geographic Location/Privacy (geopriv)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

The Geographic Location/Privacy (geopriv) working group in the Real-time
Applications and Infrastructure Area of the IETF has been rechartered. 
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the
working group Chairs.

Geographic Location/Privacy (geopriv)
--------------------------------------
Last Modified: 2009-05-29

Chair(s):
- Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
- Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
- Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
- Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
- Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
- Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/geopriv/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The IETF has recognized that many applications are emerging that
require geographic and civic location information about resources and
entities, and that the representation and transmission of that
information has significant privacy and security implications. We have
created a suite of protocols that allow such applications to represent
and transmit such location objects and to allow users to express
policies on how these representations are exposed and used. The IETF
has also begun working on creating applications that use these
capabilities, for emergency services, general real-time communication,
and other usages.

The GEOPRIV working group is chartered to continue to develop and
refine representations of location in Internet protocols, and to
analyze the authorization, integrity, and privacy requirements that
must be met when these representations of location are created,
stored, and used. The group will create and refine mechanisms for the
transmission of these representations that address the requirements
that have been identified.

The working group will work with other IETF working groups and other
standards development organizations that are building applications
that use location information to ensure that the requirements are well
understood and met, and that no additional security or privacy issues
related to location are left unaddressed as these location information
is incorporated into other protocols.

It remains a goal of the GEOPRIV working group to deliver
specifications of broad applicability that will become mandatory to
implement for IETF protocols that are location aware.

This working group will not develop location-determining technology.
However, the IETF acknowledges that information used in the location-
determination process will in some cases need to be carried over the
Internet. Where necessary, this working group will develop protocols
or protocol extensions to encode location-determination data
structures defined elsewhere. This working group will not develop
technologies to directly address any particular regulatory
requirements (e.g. 9-1-1). The group will continue to coordinate with
any other IETF entities that are working on those problems to ensure
the technologies created here meet the needs of those entities, and
that the authorization, integrity, and privacy requirements on the
mechanisms provided by these technologies continue to be met.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Discuss initial geopriv scenarios and application requirements 
     i-d's

Done Discuss initial geographic location privacy and security
     requirements i-d.

Done Initial i-d on geographic information protocol design, including
     privacy and security techniques.

Done Review charter and initial i-ds with AD, and have IESG consider
     rechartering if necessary.

Done Submit geopriv scenarios and application requirements to IESG for
     publication as Informational RFCs

Done Submit security/privacy requirements I-D to IESG for publication 
     As Informational RFC.

Done Submit PIDF-LO basic geopriv object draft as a PS

Done Initial Common Rules base object draft

Done Initial Common Rules GEOPRIV object draft

Done Submit DHCP Civil draft as a PS

Done Resubmit Conveying Location Objects in RADIUS and Diameter to
     the IESG for publication as PS

Done Submit Additional Civic PIDF-LO types (updating 4119) to the
     IESG for publication as PS

Done Submit minimal HTTP based protocol satisfying baseline
     requirements specified in the Layer 7 Location Conveyance Protocol 
     Problem Statement and Requirements to the IESG for publication as 
     PS

Done Submit PIDF-LO Usage Clarifications and Recommendations
     (updating 4119) to the IESG for publication as PS

Done Submit Layer 7 Location Conveyance Protocol Problem Statement
     and Requirements to the IESG for publication as Informational

Done Submit recommendations for representing civic addresses in
     PIDF-LO to the IESG for publication as BCP

Done Submit Recommendations for Retransmission in SIP Location
     Conveyance to the IESG for publication as Informational

Done Submit Requirements for Location by Reference Protocols to
     the IESG for publication as Informational

Done Submit a LIS Discovery Mechanism to the IESG for publication as a
     PS

Jun 2009 Resubmit Geolocation Policy to the IESG for publication as PS

Sep 2009 Submit an draft for DHCP geodetic location to the IESG for
     publication as PS to obsolete 3825

Sep 2009 Submit an Architecture for Location and Location Privacy
     to the IESG for publication as Informational

Dec 2009 Submit a URI scheme for directly expressing geodetic location
     to the IESG for publication as PS

Dec 2009 Submit a DHCP Option for a Location Uniform Resource Identifier
(URI) to the IESG for publication as PS

Dec 2009 Submit a Document Format for Filtering and Reporting PIDF-LO
     Location Notifications to the IESG for publication as PS