Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extended Generic Security Service Mechanism Inquiry APIs' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 09:37:56 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Extended Generic Security Service Mechanism Inquiry APIs '
   <draft-ietf-kitten-extended-mech-inquiry-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Kitten (GSS-API Next Generation) 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-kitten-extended-mech-inquiry-06.txt

Technical Summary

This document introduces new application programming interfaces
(APIs) to the Generic Security Services API (GSS-API) for extended
mechanism attribute inquiry.

This document provides new functionality to obtain specific GSS-API
mechanism attributes. It defines new GSS-API functions that allow
retrieval and display of said attributes. These interfaces are primarily
intended to reduce instances of hardcoding of mechanism identifiers
in GSS applications.

Working Group Summary

The WG process was not controversial.

Document Quality

There are no implementors of these interfaces that we know of. However,
there should be significant demand once these interfaces become
standard, as a number of applications have hard-coded around limitations
of the current GSS-API. Enabling better programming practices is desired.

Personnel

Shawn M. Emery <[email-masked]> is the document shepherd for this
document. Tim Polk is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following six changes:

(1) Section 3.4.2, title:

s/3.4.2.  GSS_Indicate_mechs_by_attr()/3.4.2. 
GSS_Indicate_mechs_by_attrs()/

(2) Section 3.4.3, last sentence:

s/GSS_Inquire_mech_attrs_for_mech()/GSS_Inquire_attrs_for_mech()

(3) Section 3.4.6, third sentence:

s/typdefs/typedefs/

(4) Section 3.4.6, Figure 2

OLD:
      OM_uint32 gss_inquire_mechs_for_attrs(
         OM_uint32         *minor_status,
         gss_const_OID_set  desired_mech_attrs,
         gss_const_OID_set  except_mech_attrs,
         gss_const_OID_set  critical_mech_attrs,
         gss_OID_set       *mechs);
NEW:
      OM_uint32 gss_indicate_mechs_by_attrs(
         OM_uint32         *minor_status,
         gss_const_OID_set  desired_mech_attrs,
         gss_const_OID_set  except_mech_attrs,
         gss_const_OID_set  critical_mech_attrs,
         gss_OID_set       *mechs);

(5) Section 5, first sentence:

s/namsepace/namespace/

(6) Section 5, first sentence:

s/IESG Protocol Action/IETF Consensus/