Subject: Document Action: 'Framework for PCE-Based Inter-Layer MPLS and GMPLS Traffic Engineering' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:22:17 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Framework for PCE-Based Inter-Layer MPLS and GMPLS Traffic Engineering '
   <draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-frwk-10.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Path Computation Element Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-frwk-10.txt

Technical Summary

   A network may comprise multiple layers. In some cases it may be 
   valuable to globally optimize network resource utilization, taking
   into account all layers, rather than optimizing resource utilization
   at each layer independently. This allows better network efficiency
   to be achieved through a process that we call inter-layer traffic
   engineering. The Path Computation Element (PCE) can be used to
   achieve inter-layer traffic engineering. 
    
   This document describes a framework for applying the PCE-based 
   architecture to inter-layer Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and 
   Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) traffic engineering. It provides 
   suggestions for the deployment of PCE in support of multi-layer 
   networks. This document also describes network models where PCE 
   performs inter-layer traffic engineering, and the relationship 
   between PCE and a functional component called the Virtual Network 
   Topology Manager (VNTM). 

Working Group Summary

   Good consensus reported (see PROTO writeup in the tracker). 

Document Quality

   This document provides an informative framework and as such
   is not subject to implementation, but rather is useful in the 
   ongoing work of the PCE working group. 

Personnel

   JP Vasseur is the Document Shepherd for this document. Ross 
   Callon is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

  Two references need to be updated: 
    - draft-ietf-pce-brpc has been published as RFC 5441
    - draft-ietf-pce-path-key has been published as RFC 5520