Subject: Protocol Action: 'Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 02:15:20 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) '
   <draft-ietf-smime-rfc3852bis-00.txt> as a Draft Standard

This document is the product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-rfc3852bis-00.txt

Technical Summary

   This document specifies the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS),
   which is used to digitally sign, digest, authenticate, or encrypt
   arbitrary message content.  The content of this document is
   based on RFC 3852 but also incorporates errata and the 
   clarifications previously published as RFC 4853.

Working Group Summary

   RFC 3852 was a product of the smime working group.
   CMS is widely referenced, and is a key building block for
   specifications developed by the S/MIME, ltans, and keyprov
   working groups.

Document Quality

   Two or more interoperable implementations have been identified for
   all features.  The implementation report is available at:

http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Implementations/CMS-Interoperability-Report.txt

Personnel

   Tim Polk is the responsible Area Director