Subject: Protocol Action: 'Nominating Committee Process: Earlier Announcement of Open Positions and Solicitation of Volunteers' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 16:24:41 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Nominating Committee Process: Earlier Announcement of Open Positions 
   and Solicitation of Volunteers '
   <draft-dawkins-nomcom-dont-wait-04.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dawkins-nomcom-dont-wait-04.txt

Technical Summary

  This document updates RFC 3777, Section 4, Bullet 13 to allow
  announcement of open positions and solicitation of volunteers to be
  issued before a Nominating and Recall Committee (NomCom) Chair has
  been named by the Internet Society President.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not the product of any IETF WG.

Protocol Quality

  The document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

Note to the RFC Editor

  Please make the following changes.

OLD:

3.  Discussion

  This document proposes that the IETF Secretariat will issue the
  announcement of open positions and the solicitation for names of
  volunteers on behalf of the Incoming NomCom Chair who will be named
  by the ISOC President.  This allows the search for the Incoming
  NomCom Chair and volunteers to proceed in parallel.

NEW:

3.  Discussion

  This document proposes that the IETF Executive Director will issue the
  announcement of open positions and the solicitation for names of
  volunteers on behalf of the Incoming NomCom Chair who will be named
  by the ISOC President, if the Incoming NomCom Chair has not yet been
  named.  This allows the search for the Incoming NomCom Chair and
  volunteers to proceed in parallel.

OLD:

4.  Updated text from RFC 3777

  For [RFC3777], in section 4, "Nominating Committee Selection", bullet
  13, which states:

     The Chair obtains the list of IESG and IAB positions to be
     reviewed and announces it along with a solicitation for names of
     volunteers from the IETF community willing to serve on the
     nominating committee.

  this text is replaced with the following text:

     The IETF Executive Director obtains the list of positions to be
     reviewed and announces it along with a solicitation for names of
     volunteers from the IETF community willing to serve on the
     nominating committee.

NEW:

4.  Updated text from RFC 3777

  For [RFC3777], in section 4, "Nominating Committee Selection", bullet
  13, which states:

     The Chair obtains the list of IESG and IAB positions to be
     reviewed and announces it along with a solicitation for names of
     volunteers from the IETF community willing to serve on the
     nominating committee.

  this text is replaced with the following text:

     The Chair (or the IETF Executive Director, if no Chair has been
     named) obtains the list of positions to be reviewed and announces
     it along with a solicitation for names of volunteers from the IETF
     community willing to serve on the nominating committee.