Subject: RFC 5568 on Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:03:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5568

        Title:      Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers 
        Author:     R. Koodli, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       July 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      51
        Characters: 121373
        Obsoletes:  RFC5268

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5568.txt

Mobile IPv6 enables a mobile node (MN) to maintain its connectivity
to the Internet when moving from one Access Router to another, a
process referred to as handover.  During handover, there is a period
during which the mobile node is unable to send or receive packets
because of link-switching delay and IP protocol operations.  This
"handover latency" resulting from standard Mobile IPv6 procedures
(namely, movement detection, new Care-of Address configuration, and
Binding Update) is often unacceptable to real-time traffic such as
Voice over IP (VoIP).  Reducing the handover latency could be
beneficial to non-real-time, throughput-sensitive applications as
well.  This document specifies a protocol to improve handover latency
due to Mobile IPv6 procedures.  This document does not address
improving the link-switching latency.

This document updates the packet formats for the Handover Initiate
(HI) and Handover Acknowledge (HAck) messages to the Mobility Header
Type.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute