Subject: Document Action: 'Comcast's ISP Experiences In a P4P Technical Trial' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:55:50 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Comcast's ISP Experiences In a P4P Technical Trial '
   <draft-livingood-woundy-p4p-experiences-10.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-livingood-woundy-p4p-experiences-10.txt

Technical Summary

   This document discusses what has been learned about ALTO-style
   traffic optimization in trials run by ComCast and Pando. The
   discussion is informative and should inform discussions about 
   what realistic outcomes can be expected with use of similar
   technology.  

Working Group Summary

   This is an individual submission.

Document Quality

   The document has had sufficient review. 

Personnel

   Lisa Dusseault is the responsible area director.

RFC Editor Note

Please put the following content in the Security Considerations: 

    This document does not propose any kind of protocol, practice or 
    standard.

    The experiment did show that an ISP can improve performance without 
 
    exposing fine-grained details about network structure, which might 
    otherwise be a security concern (see Section 3.1 (P4P Fine Grain)  
    and Section 3.2 (P4P Coarse Grain)).  Section 6 (Next Steps)  
    mentions that the opt-in architecture allows P2P users to maintain 
    privacy.

    Other security aspects were not considered in the experiment, which 
    focused on performance measurements.