Subject: RFC 5557 on Path Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP) Requirements and Protocol Extensions in Support of Global Concurrent Optimization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:28:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5557

        Title:      Path Computation Element Communication Protocol 
                    (PCEP) Requirements and Protocol Extensions in 
                    Support of Global Concurrent Optimization 
        Author:     Y. Lee, JL. Le Roux,
                    D. King, E. Oki
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       July 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 58888
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pce-global-concurrent-optimization-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5557.txt

The Path Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP) allows Path
Computation Clients (PCCs) to request path computations from Path
Computation Elements (PCEs), and lets the PCEs return responses.  When
computing or reoptimizing the routes of a set of Traffic Engineering
Label Switched Paths (TE LSPs) through a network, it may be
advantageous to perform bulk path computations in order to avoid
blocking problems and to achieve more optimal network-wide solutions.
Such bulk optimization is termed Global Concurrent Optimization (GCO).
A GCO is able to simultaneously consider the entire topology of the
network and the complete set of existing TE LSPs, and their respective
constraints, and look to optimize or reoptimize the entire network to
satisfy all constraints for all TE LSPs.  A GCO may also be applied to
some subset of the TE LSPs in a network.  The GCO application is
primarily a Network Management System (NMS) solution.

This document provides application-specific requirements and the PCEP
extensions in support of GCO applications.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Path Computation Element Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute