Subject: Document Action: 'Remote Triggered Black Hole filtering with uRPF' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:27:01 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Remote Triggered Black Hole filtering with uRPF '
   <draft-ietf-opsec-blackhole-urpf-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Operational Security Capabilities for 
IP Network Infrastructure Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-opsec-blackhole-urpf-04.txt

Document Announcement Write-Up for

	draft-ietf-opsec-blackhole-urpf currently in draft 04 having
	completed WG last call and AD Evaluation.
	
Technical Summary

	Remote Triggered Black Hole (RTBH) filtering is a popular and
	effective technique for the mitigation of denial-of-service
	attacks. This document expands upon destination-based RTBH
	filtering by outlining a method to enable filtering by source
	address as well.

Working Group Summary

	The WG last call period for draft-ietf-opsec-blackhole-urpf-03
	was completed without opposition. Commentary on the draft
	in the current and prior revision at IETF 74 and before would
	indicate that the WG believes that the document is in suitable
	form to advance. AD Review revealed insufficient warning on the
	implications of using strict RPF. 04 revision is believed
	to satisfy both AD concerns and WG participants.

Document Quality

	As it documents existing current practice both in router
	implementation and in operational practice and expands upon but
	does not obsolete rfc 3882 we believe that it is suitable to
	advance towards the goal of BCP status.

Personnel

	Review by both industry peers (NANOG security BOF), and one of
	the originators of the method (Barry Greene) was solicited, and
	their input is noted in the contributions section. Joel Jaeggli
	Shepherded this document through the working group process. AD
	review was provide by R. Bonica.