Subject: RFC 5598 on Internet Mail Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:50:20 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5598

        Title:      Internet Mail Architecture 
        Author:     D. Crocker
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       July 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      54
        Characters: 115741
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-crocker-email-arch-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5598.txt

Over its thirty-five-year history, Internet Mail has changed
significantly in scale and complexity, as it has become a global
infrastructure service.  These changes have been evolutionary, rather
than revolutionary, reflecting a strong desire to preserve both its
installed base and its usefulness.  To collaborate productively on
this large and complex system, all participants need to work from a
common view of it and use a common language to describe its
components and the interactions among them.  But the many differences
in perspective currently make it difficult to know exactly what
another participant means.  To serve as the necessary common frame of
reference, this document describes the enhanced Internet Mail
architecture, reflecting the current service.  This memo provides 
information for the Internet community.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute