Subject: Document Action: 'Profile for Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Congestion ID 4: TCP-Friendly Rate Control for Small Packets (TFRC-SP)' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:23:54 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Profile for Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Congestion ID 
   4: TCP-Friendly Rate Control for Small Packets (TFRC-SP) '
   <draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-05.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-05.txt

Technical Summary

   This document specifies a profile for Congestion Control Identifier
   4, the Small-Packet variant of TCP-Friendly Rate Control (TFRC), in
   the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP).  CCID 4 is for
   experimental use, and uses TFRC-SP [RFC4828], a variant of TFRC
   designed for applications that send small packets.  CCID 4 is
   considered experimental because TFRC-SP is itself experimental, and
   is not proposed for widespread deployment in the global Internet at
   this time.   The goal for TFRC-SP is to achieve roughly the same
   bandwidth in bits per second (bps) as a TCP flow using packets of up
   to 1500 bytes but experiencing the same level of congestion.  CCID 4
   is for use for senders that send small packets and would like a TCP-
   friendly sending rate, possibly with Explicit Congestion Notification
   (ECN), while minimizing abrupt rate changes.

Working Group Summary

   There has been strong support by the DCCP working group to
   produce this document and there is consensus to publish it.
   Processing the specification was delayed for a while to allow
   it to reflect the changes made to the TCP-Friendly Rate Control
   (TFRC) in RFC 5348.

Document Quality

   The TFRC-SP mechanism has been thoroughly analyzed by
   ns-2 simulations. At the moment there are no other
   implementations of this specification.

Personnel

   The Document Sheperd is Pasi Sarolahti ([email-masked]).
   The Responsible Area Director is Lars Eggert
   ([email-masked]).