Subject: Protocol Action: 'Dynamic Hostname Exchange Mechanism for OSPF' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:44:31 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Dynamic Hostname Exchange Mechanism for OSPF '
   <draft-ietf-ospf-dynamic-hostname-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-dynamic-hostname-05.txt

Technical Summary

   This document defines a new OSPF Router Information (RI) TLV that
   allows OSPF routers to flood their hostname-to-Router ID mapping
   information across an OSPF network to provide a simple and dynamic
   mechanism for routers running OSPF to learn about symbolic hostnames
   just like for routers running IS-IS.  This mechanism is applicable to
   both OSPFv2 and OSPFv3.

Working Group Summary

   No controvery reported (see PROTO writeup by Acee Lindem). A
   nearly identical capability has been published and is implemented
   for IS-IS. 

Document Quality

   We am not aware of implementation of this feature. However, a
   nearly identical capability has been implemented for IS-IS 
   (as RFC2763, which is referenced in this document). Given the
   simplicity of the capability, and its similarity to the IS-IS
   capability, the document has had ample review. It has completed
   WG and IETF last calls, and has been updated based on OPS
   Directory comments, and in response to IESG comments. 

Personnel

   Acee Lindem is the Document Shepherd for this document. Ross Callon
   is the Responsible Area Director.