Subject: RFC 5585 on DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Service Overview

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 16:06:30 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5585

        Title:      DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Service 
                    Overview 
        Author:     T. Hansen, D. Crocker,
                    P. Hallam-Baker
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       July 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 54110
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dkim-overview-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5585.txt

This document provides an overview of the DomainKeys Identified Mail
(DKIM) service and describes how it can fit into a messaging service.
It also describes how DKIM relates to other IETF message signature
technologies.  It is intended for those who are adopting, developing,
or deploying DKIM.  DKIM allows an organization to take responsibility
for transmitting a message, in a way that can be verified by a
recipient.  The organization can be the author's, the originating
sending site, an intermediary, or one of their agents.  A message can
contain multiple signatures from the same or different organizations
involved with the message.  DKIM defines a domain-level digital
signature authentication framework for email, using public-key
cryptography, with the domain name service as its key server
technology (RFC 4871).  This permits verification of a responsible
organization, as well as the integrity of the message contents.  DKIM
also enables a mechanism that permits potential email signers to
publish information about their email signing practices; this will
permit email receivers to make additional assessments about messages.
DKIM's authentication of email identity can assist in the global
control of "spam" and "phishing".  This memo provides information 
for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Domain Keys Identified Mail Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute