Subject: RFC 5583 on Signaling Media Decoding Dependency in the Session Description Protocol (SDP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 16:06:06 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5583

        Title:      Signaling Media Decoding Dependency in 
                    the Session Description Protocol (SDP) 
        Author:     T. Schierl, S. Wenger
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       July 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 40214
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mmusic-decoding-dependency-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5583.txt

This memo defines semantics that allow for signaling the decoding
dependency of different media descriptions with the same media type in
the Session Description Protocol (SDP).  This is required, for example,
if media data is separated and transported in different network streams
as a result of the use of a layered or multiple descriptive media coding
process.

A new grouping type "DDP" -- decoding dependency -- is defined, to be
used in conjunction with RFC 3388 entitled "Grouping of Media Lines in
the Session Description Protocol".  In addition, an attribute is
specified describing the relationship of the media streams in a "DDP"
group indicated by media identification attribute(s) and media format
description(s).  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute