Subject: RFC 5622 on Profile for Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Congestion ID 4: TCP-Friendly Rate Control for Small Packets (TFRC-SP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:44:40 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5622

        Title:      Profile for Datagram Congestion Control 
                    Protocol (DCCP) Congestion ID 4: TCP-Friendly 
                    Rate Control for Small Packets (TFRC-SP) 
        Author:     S. Floyd, E. Kohler
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       August 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 45394
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5622.txt

This document specifies a profile for Congestion Control Identifier
4, the small-packet variant of TCP-Friendly Rate Control (TFRC), in
the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP).  CCID 4 is for
experimental use, and uses TFRC-SP (RFC 4828), a variant of TFRC
designed for applications that send small packets.  CCID 4 is
considered experimental because TFRC-SP is itself experimental, and
is not proposed for widespread deployment in the global Internet at
this time.  The goal for TFRC-SP is to achieve roughly the same
bandwidth in bits per second (bps) as a TCP flow using packets of up
to 1500 bytes but experiencing the same level of congestion.  CCID 4
is for use for senders that send small packets and would like a TCP-
friendly sending rate, possibly with Explicit Congestion Notification
(ECN), while minimizing abrupt rate changes.  This memo defines an 
Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute