Subject: RFC Series Editor Nominees (Feedback Requested) and Independent Stream Editor Process

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:25:34 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Colleagues,

With reference to the call for nominations [1,2] for an RFC Series
Editor (RSE) and Independent Stream Editor (ISE) and the extension for
the of the call [3], there are two two things I would like to bring to
your attention.

= RFC Series Editor Nominations

I would like to inform you that at the close of the extended
nomination period  we received 4 nominations:

  - Shreedeep Rayamajhi
  - Paul Hoffman
  - David E. Martin
  - Ole Jacobsen

The IAB invites community feedback on these candidates, specifically
in relation to the how the expertise and profile of the candidates
maps to the function as described in
http://iaoc.ietf.org/rfced-procurement.html and
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-rfc-editor-model

Please send your feedback to the Ad Hoc Advisory Committee (ACEF)
<[email-masked]> by August 23, 2009. Your feedback will be shared with
the members (see [4]) of the ACEF and, at a later stage, with the IAB.

We understand there may be potential candidates that are still
contemplating 
their nomination. Therefore, and without reflection on the current
candidates, 
we will continue to entertain nominations for the RSE position for a short
time.

= Independent Series Editor Nominations and selection process

After consulting with the ACEF (who assist the IAB in the selection of
candidates) the IAB has decided that we will first work through the
RSE candidates and then proceed with assessment of the ISE candidates.
Nominations for the ISE are still welcome during the period in which
the ACEF is formulating its advice on the RSE appointment. Please
refer to [2] for the exact nomination procedure.

The timeline for the selection of the RSE remains as published in our
extensions for the call[2] while the timeline for the selection and
appointment of the ISE will shift a little more than a month. This may
mean that there is little or no overlapping time for transition of the
ISE. While

this is not the optimum situation, the IAB and the ACEF believe that
there will not be significant problems by shifting the timescale and
thereby potentially not having an overlap.

Modified ISE timeline:

 1st week of October - ISE Nominees announced; community input solicited
                       
 mid-October - Community input ends

 mid-October through end October - IAB appointed Advisory Committee
conducts interviews

 begin November - Advisory Committee recommends individuals to IAB for
                  ISE position

 mid November - IAB appoints ISE

 end Nov - Agreement Executed with IAD for expenses and transition begins

 1 Jan - Appointments take effect

With kind regards,

--Olaf Kolkman

  IAB chair.

[1] RSE call for nomination:
   
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg06167.html

[2] ISE call for nomination:
   
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg06168.html

[3] Extension of the call for nominations:
   
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg06303.html

[4] RFC Editor related appointments:
   
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg06260.html