Subject: Protocol Action: 'Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) for the Pseudowire Virtual Circuit Connectivity Verification (VCCV)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 08:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) for the Pseudowire Virtual 
   Circuit Connectivity Verification (VCCV) '
   <draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-bfd-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-bfd-07.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes new Connectivity Verification (CV) types
   using Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) with Virtual Circuit
   Connectivity Verification (VCCV).  VCCV provides a control channel
   that is associated with a Pseudowire (PW), as well as the
   corresponding operations and management functions such as
   connectivity verification to be used over that control channel.

Working Group Summary

  The draft originated as a part of the VCCV work, originally being
  developed as a part of draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv. The VCCV-BFD text was
  then split out from that draft (which later became RFC5085). The
  proposed protocol in draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-bfd-05.txt has therefore
  been widely reviewed over a long period by many experts in PWE3. A
  number reviewers were also apponited by the WG chairs during the WG
  last call process. 

Document Quality

  There are no concerns about protocol quality. There are understood
  to be implementations of this protocol.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd:  Matthew Bocci ([email-masked])
  Responsible Area Director: Ralph Droms ([email-masked])