Subject: 2nd Last Call: draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist (Nominating Committee Process: Open Disclosure of Willing Nominees) to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:20:23 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider 
the following document:

- 'Nominating Committee Process: Open Disclosure of Willing Nominees'
   <draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist-06.txt> as a BCP

The first IETF Last Call on this document caused significant discussion.
Several issues were raised and resolved.  The most recent version of the
document includes these resolutions.  One issue was not resolved, but
this the most recent version of the document proposes a solution to that
open issue.  This second IETF Last Call is focused on that single open
issue.

The previous version of this document included a statement that said
there MUST NOT be lobby or campaign activities.  Important points made
during the previous IETF Last Call include:

1) It was pointed out that the only enforcement mechanism available is
for NomCom to do something if it happens.  If public statements of
support are perceived to work, then we have changed the process in
a way that we want to avoid.

2) Refusal to consider people just because someone else made a
public statement of support seems unwise.  That would be a serious
DOS attack.

3) We should have MUST NOT precisely because we can't enforce the
rules, so they need to look strong.

Please consider these perspectives when reviewing the most recent
version of the document, which addresses this open issue in two
ways.  First, Nominees are told that lobbying and campaigning
are considered unacceptable behavior.  Second, there is a
recognition that NomCom cannot be expected to completely ignore
any lobby or campaign effort that might occur; however, NomCom
ought to consider the judgment of any nominee that encourages
or supports such activities.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2009-09-07. Exceptionally, 
comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please 
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist-06.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=18213&rfc_flag=0