Subject: ICANN NOMCOM 2010 Candidates sought

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 03:34:55 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the IETF, the IAB has to deliver one of the 17 voting
members to the ICANN Nomcom for 2010.
 
While the 2009 ICANN Nomcom will be announced shortly the wheels have been
set in motion for the creation of a 2010 ICANN Nomcom.  
The IAB, on behalf of the IETF delivers one member of the ICANN Nomcom and
we would like to ask the community for volunteers to serve on the 2010
ICANN Nomcom. The IAB invites  volunteers to reply within  10 days, as
that allows participation in the first meeting in early November (see
below). If you are interested, please send us a short e-mail with your
motivation and  information concerning your familiarity with the IETF and
ICANN.

Some considerations:

The IAB will select from the available candidates, taking into account
the candidates' familiarity with both ICANN's and IETF's role and
processes. The selected candidate will serve on the ICANN Nomcom on
personal title; however, we will be looking for a candidate who has an
understanding of the interests of the technical community.

Nominating Committees have historically held two face-to-face meetings.
The ICANN Nomcom's first organizational meeting will be held alongside the
Seoul ICANN meeting, 31 October – 1 November 2009.

The Nomcom process itself is governed by the ICANN bylaws; an abstract of
the relevant articles can be found at http://nomcom.icann.org/bylaws.htm.
In addition, each Nomcom determines  a number of its own operational
procedures, including the role of the Nomcom in recruiting and selecting
candidates. Therefore, the ability to participate in the November meeting
would be beneficial, albeit not strictly necessary.

The only other travel required is to an all-hands retreat held after the
paper screening of all candidates. Much of the work is done via email and
conference calls, and the bulk of the screening  is done in small groups
based around time zones. The early process may only require one or two
phone calls a month.
Once the candidate packages are in hand, there is a much more intense
period of weekly phone calls, reference checking, off-line reading, and
ranking (via on-line polls). This culminates in the all-hands (3 day)
retreat, where selections are made. The follow up period is mostly email
traffic and a couple of phone calls related to due diligence.

NOTE: ICANN does cover travel costs, except for expenses and hotel-costs
for the non-nomcom portions of ICANN meetings.

We hope this provides a sufficient picture, and we welcome e-mail from
potential candidates. If there are suitable candidates, the IAB will make
a decision preferably before September 11 2009.

On behalf of the IAB, 
Kind regards,

-- Olaf Kolkman
   IAB Chair