Subject: RFC 5575 on Dissemination of Flow Specification Rules

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:55:33 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5575

        Title:      Dissemination of Flow Specification Rules 
        Author:     P. Marques, N. Sheth,
                    R. Raszuk, B. Greene,
                    J. Mauch, D. McPherson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       August 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 46473
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-flow-spec-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5575.txt

This document defines a new Border Gateway Protocol Network Layer
Reachability Information (BGP NLRI) encoding format that can be used
to distribute traffic flow specifications.  This allows the routing
system to propagate information regarding more specific components of
the traffic aggregate defined by an IP destination prefix.

Additionally, it defines two applications of that encoding format:
one that can be used to automate inter-domain coordination of traffic
filtering, such as what is required in order to mitigate
(distributed) denial-of-service attacks, and a second application to
provide traffic filtering in the context of a BGP/MPLS VPN service.

The information is carried via the BGP, thereby reusing protocol
algorithms, operational experience, and administrative processes such
as inter-provider peering agreements.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute