Subject: WG Review: Mobility Multicast (multimob)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area.  The IESG
has not made any determination as yet.  The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only.  Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, August
25, 2009.

Mobility Multicast (multimob)
-------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed Working Group 
Last Modified: 2009-08-07

Chairs:
TBD

Internet Area (int) Directors:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
Subscribe online at: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multimob

Description of Working Group

The Multicast mobility (multimob) working group provides guidance for
supporting multicast in a mobile environment. The scope of work will
be limited to Proxy Mobile IPv6, MLD/IGMP protocols and listener
mobility. Work requiring modifications to mobility protocols,
MLD/IGMP, and multicast routing protocols is out of scope in this
first stage of this working group.

Specific goals are:
- Document how multicast can be supported in a Proxy Mobile IPv6
environment
- Document the configuration of IGMP/MLD in mobile environments

The Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) specification as defined in RFC 5213
does not describe how to support multicast. Some forms of multicast
support can, however, be built in the involved nodes by using existing
capabilities of multicast protocols and the underlying mobility
protocols. The first task of the working group is to document such
solutions for PMIPv6. This work will not require any additions or
changes to message types and parameters specified in RFC 5213, and
will assume an unmodified mobile host. The work will employ the remote
subscription model. This is mechanism by which a mobile node joins a
multicast group and receives multicast data forwarded via the local
mobility anchor.

IGMPv3/MLDv2 has been specified for wired networks with shared links.
Mobile nodes have needs that are specific to wireless networks and
mobility (e.g. entering a dormant mode to conserve battery power,
minimizing the latency for joining and leaving a group in support of
movement).

The second task of the WG is to assess existing solutions for group
management, and determine to what extent these methods are sufficient
in a mobile environment. This will include recommending appropriate
selection of timer values and protocol parameters.

In performing its work, the working group will work closely with both
the mobility community (NETLMM and NETEXT WGs) and the multicast
community (MBONED WG). The group will consider both source specific
multicast and any source multicast multicast models.

Future work, subject to rechartering, may study/evaluate extensions to
support PMIPv6 optimizations to address the avalanche problem and fast
handover and extensions to IGMPv3/MLDv2 to support better operation in
mobile environments.

Milestones:

Nov 2009 Initial version of a document explaining the use of multicast
in PMIPv6
Nov 2009 Initial version of a document on how to tune IGMP/MLD for
mobility
Feb 2010 Submit a document explaining the use of multicast in PMIPv6,
for publication as either Informational or Best Current Practice
Feb 2010 Submit a document on how to tune IGMP/MLD for mobility, for
publication as either Informational or Best Current Practice
Mar 2010 Recharter for additional optimization work involving
extensions to PMIPv6, IGMPv3, or MLDv2