Subject: Protocol Action: 'Guidance on Interoperation and Implementation Reports for Advancement to Draft Standard' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:32:44 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Guidance on Interoperation and Implementation Reports for Advancement 
   to Draft Standard '
   <draft-dusseault-impl-reports-04.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dusseault-impl-reports-04.txt

     Technical Summary

       Advancing a protocol to Draft Standard requires documentation of
       the  interoperation and implementation of the protocol.  Historic
       reports have varied widely in form and level of content and there
       is little guidance available to new report preparers.  This
       document updates the existing processes and provides more detail
       on what is appropriate in an interoperability and implementation
       report.

     Working Group Summary

       This is not the product of an IETF working group.  This document
       has received significant review from members of the community,
       and those reviewers have been supportive.  Additional review is
       needed from the broader community to ensure that opposing
       views have been considered.  That review is expected from IETF 
       Last Call.

     Document Quality

        The process described in this document has been executed to
        create an implementation report for RFC 3852.  The person who 
        created that report indicated the process was appropriate and
        more effectively achieved the goals of implementation than a 
        report referencing each occurrence of RFC 2119 conformance 
        language.  This report did not conform precisely to the
        suggested report format, but in retrospect would have been 
        more readable if it had conformed precisely.

Personnel

   Tim Polk is the responsible Area Director, and is acting as document
   shepherd.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following three modifications.

(1) In Section 5.3, please make the following substitution:

OLD: 
   MIBs are sometimes documented in implementation reports and examples
   of that can be found in the archive of implementation reports.

NEW: 
   Management Information Base (MIBs, [RFC3410]) modules are
   sometimes documented in implementation reports and examples
   of that can be found in the archive of implementation reports.

(2) In section 5.5, please append the following as a third bullet point
in the list:

 - MIB modules can be tested with generic MIB browsers, to confirm that 
   different implementations return the same values for objects under
   similar conditions.  

(3) In section 9.2, add the following informational reference

   [RFC3410]  Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart,
              "Introduction and Applicability Statements for Internet-
              Standard Management Framework", RFC 3410, December 2002.