Subject: Protocol Action: 'Multiple Care-of Addresses Registration' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 07:01:50 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Multiple Care-of Addresses Registration '
   <draft-ietf-monami6-multiplecoa-14.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-monami6-multiplecoa-14.txt

Technical Summary

   According to the current Mobile IPv6 specification, a mobile node may
   have several care-of addresses, but only one, called the primary
   care-of address, that can be registered with its home agent and the
   correspondent nodes.  However, for matters of cost, bandwidth, delay,
   etc, it is useful for the mobile node to get Internet access through
   multiple accesses simultaneously, in which case the mobile node would
   be configured with multiple active IPv6 care-of addresses.  This
   document proposes extensions to the Mobile IPv6 protocol to register
   and use multiple care-of addresses.  The extensions proposed in this
   document can be used by Mobile Routers using the NEMO (Network
   Mobility) Basic Support protocol as well.

Working Group Summary

   This is a product of the former MONAMI6 WG, now part of MEXT WG.

Document Quality

  There are 3 implementations of the protocol: An implementation
  for MIPL (LINUX), more information:
    http://www.nautilus6.org/implementation/index.php
    http://software.nautilus6.org/MCoA/
  One implementation for BSD called SHISA which is part of WIDE 
  and is being maintained. Another implementation KDDI R&D.

  Interoperability between KDDI and SHISA in 2005.
    http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/05nov/slides/monami6-8.pdf

  This feature is a must for the automotive industry
  standardization effort made at ISO.

  There were many reviewers of the document, but especial
  in depth reviews were provided by George Tsirtsis, Chan-Wah
  Ng and Benjamin Lim.

  No MIB review nor media type reviews were needed.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is Marcelo Bagnulo, and the AD is Jari
   Arkko.