Subject: RFC 5653 on Generic Security Service API Version 2: Java Bindings Update

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:15:46 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5653

        Title:      Generic Security Service API Version 
                    2: Java Bindings Update 
        Author:     M. Upadhyay, S. Malkani
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       August 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      99
        Characters: 209903
        Obsoletes:  RFC2853

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-kitten-rfc2853bis-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5653.txt

The Generic Security Services Application Program Interface (GSS-API)
offers application programmers uniform access to security services
atop a variety of underlying cryptographic mechanisms.  This document
updates the Java bindings for the GSS-API that are specified in
"Generic Security Service API Version 2 : Java Bindings" (RFC 2853).
This document obsoletes RFC 2853 by making specific and incremental
clarifications and corrections to it in response to identification of
transcription errors and implementation experience.

The GSS-API is described at a language-independent conceptual level in
"Generic Security Service Application Program Interface Version 2,
Update 1" (RFC 2743).  The GSS-API allows a caller application to
authenticate a principal identity, to delegate rights to a peer, and
to apply security services such as confidentiality and integrity on a
per-message basis.  Examples of security mechanisms defined for
GSS-API are "The Simple Public-Key GSS-API Mechanism" (RFC 2025) and
"The Kerberos Version 5 Generic Security Service Application Program
Interface (GSS-API) Mechanism: Version 2" (RFC 4121).  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Kitten (GSS-API Next Generation) Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute