Subject: RFC 5634 on Quick-Start for the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:40:46 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5634

        Title:      Quick-Start for the Datagram Congestion 
                    Control Protocol (DCCP) 
        Author:     G. Fairhurst, A. Sathiaseelan
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       August 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 52726
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dccp-quickstart-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5634.txt

This document specifies the use of the Quick-Start mechanism by the
Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP).  DCCP is a transport
protocol that allows the transmission of congestion-controlled,
unreliable datagrams.  DCCP is intended for applications such as
streaming media, Internet telephony, and online games.  In DCCP, an
application has a choice of congestion control mechanisms, each
specified by a Congestion Control Identifier (CCID).  This document
specifies general procedures applicable to all DCCP CCIDs and
specific procedures for the use of Quick-Start with DCCP CCID 2,
CCID 3, and CCID 4.  Quick-Start enables a DCCP sender to cooperate
with Quick-Start routers along the end-to-end path to determine an
allowed sending rate at the start of a connection and, at times, in
the middle of a DCCP connection (e.g., after an idle or application-
limited period).  The present specification is provided for use in
controlled environments, and not as a mechanism that would be
intended or appropriate for ubiquitous deployment in the global
Internet.  This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the 
Internet community.

This document is a product of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute