Subject: Protocol Action: 'Elliptic-Curve Algorithm Integration in the Secure Shell Transport Layer' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:32:20 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Elliptic-Curve Algorithm Integration in the Secure Shell Transport 
   Layer '
   <draft-green-secsh-ecc-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-green-secsh-ecc-09.txt

Technical Summary

This document describes algorithms based on Elliptic Curve
Cryptography (ECC) for use within the Secure Shell (SSH) transport
protocol.  In particular, it specifies: Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman
(ECDH) key agreement, Elliptic Curve Menezes-Qu-Vanstone (ECMQV) key
agreement and Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA) for
use in the SSH Transport Layer protocol.

Working Group Summary

This document is the result an individual submission by members of
the community interested in seeing support for use of ECC algorithms
in the SSH protocol.  While there is no active working group behind
this work, it was extensively reviewed and discussed on the ietf-ssh
mailing list, which was the home of the Secure Shell Working Group
before that group concluded and still counts many of the participants
of that working group among its members.

Document Quality

While there are no existing implementations of this protocol, there
has been indication of interest from SSH implementors.

Personnel

The document shepherd for this document is Jeffrey Hutzelman
The responsible Area Director is Tim Polk.

RFC Editor Note

Section 12.1

Please remove the URL from the reference [FIPS-180-3].
 
Section 12.2

Please remove the URLs from references [NIST-800-57] and [NIST-CURVES].