Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Security Issues in Network Event Logging (syslog)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

The Security Issues in Network Event Logging (syslog) working group in the
Security Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group
Chairs.

Security Issues in Network Event Logging (syslog)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:

  * Chris Lonvick ([email-masked])
  * David Harrington ([email-masked])

Security Area Directors:

  * Tim Polk ([email-masked])
  * Pasi Eronen ([email-masked])

Security Area Advisor:

  * Pasi Eronen ([email-masked])

Mailing Lists:

  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: [email-masked]
  In Body: in body: (un)subscribe
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/syslog

Description of Working Group:

Syslog has been a de-facto standard for logging system events for long
time. The syslog WG recently completed standardization of the syslog
protocol (RFC 5424), secure transport of the syslog protocol over TLS (RFC
5425), and non-secure transport over UDP (RFC 5426).

The WG under this charter will standardize a DTLS transport for syslog,
providing a secure transport for syslog messages in cases where a
connection-less transport is desired. The threats that this WG will
primarily address are modification, disclosure, and masquerade. A
secondary threat is message stream modification.  These are consistent
with those addressed in RFC 5425. Draft-feng-syslog-transport-dtls is
already similar to RFC 5425 in this respect, so this draft will become the
starting point for the WG document, which the WG will adjust as needed,
and merge desired features from other sources, such as
draft-petch-gerhards-syslog-transport-dtls, draft-hardaker-isms-dtls-tm,
and draft-seggelmann-tls-dtls-heartbeat.

The WG will also complete the ongoing work to specify a standardized
mechanism for signing syslog messages (draft-ietf-syslog-sign).

Goals and Milestones:

Oct 2009  Submit a document that defines a message signing and 
          ordering mechanism to the IESG for consideration as a 
          PROPOSED STANDARD
Mar 2010  Submit Syslog DTLS Transport Mapping to the IESG for 
          consideration as a PROPOSED STANDARD