Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: IP Flow Information Export (ipfix)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

The IP Flow Information Export (ipfix) working group in the Operations and
Management Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group
Chairs.

IP Flow Information Export (ipfix)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Nevil Brownlee ([email-masked])
  Juergen Quittek ([email-masked])

Operations and Management Area Directors:
  Dan Romascanu ([email-masked])
  Ronald Bonica ([email-masked])

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
  Dan Romascanu ([email-masked])

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipfix

Description of Working Group:

The IPFIX working group has specified the Information Model (to describe
IP flows) and the IPFIX protocol (to transfer IP flow data from IPFIX
exporters to collectors). Several implementers have already built
applications using the IPFIX protocol. As a result of a series of IPFIX
interoperability testing events the WG has produced guidelines for IPFIX
implementation and testing as well as recommendations for handling special
cases such as bidirectional flow reporting and reducing redundancy in flow
records.

Practical experiences with IPFIX implementations exposed new requirements
for the IPFIX protocol that so far have not been addressed by the WG. The
major current goal of the WG is developing solutions that meet the new
requirements without modifying the core IPFIX protocol specifications.

1. The IPFIX WG has developed a MIB module for monitoring IPFIX
implementations. Means for configuring these devices have not been
standardized yet. The WG will develop an XML-based configuration data
model that can be used for configuring IPFIX devices and for storing,
modifying and managing IPFIX configurations parameter sets. This work will
be performed in close collaboration with the NETCONF WG.

2. First applications of IPFIX at large operator networks showed the need
for mediation of flow information, for example, for aggregating huge
amounts of flow data and for anomymization of flow information. The IPFIX
WG will investigate this issue and produce a problem statement and a
framework for IPFIX flow mediation.

3. The PSAMP WG has developed a protocol for reporting observed packets.
The PSAMP protocol is an extension of the IPFIX protocol. The IPFIX WG
will develop a MIB module for monitoring PSAMP implementations. The new
MIB module will be an extension of the IPFIX MIB module.

4. Anonymization of flow information has been identified as a requirement
for flow information export already in RFC 3917. However, technologies for
flow anonymization are still a research issue and have so far not been
considered to be mature enough for standardization. As one step in this
direction, the IPFIX WG will develop guidelines for the implementation of
anonymized data export and storage over IPFIX and define an information
model for configuring and reporting anonymization applied at IPFIX
devices.

5. The IPFIX and PSAMP WGs have defined standards for selecting observed
IP packets and collecting information in flow records. In order to reduce
the amount of data to be processed, packet selection methods have been
defined. Another method for reducing flow data is flow selection. The
IPFIX WG will define methods for flow selection and provide an information
model for configuring and reporting flow selection applied at IPFIX
devices.

6. Being designed for the export of flow records the IPFIX protocol
provides very limited means for structuring information elements within
IPFIX records. With the increasing number of IPFIX applications there is a
need for exporting more complex information. The IPFIX WG will develop an
extension of the IPFIX protocol that supports hierarchically structured
data and lists (sequences) of Information Elements in data records.

Goals and Milestones:

Oct 2009  Submit Mediation Problem Statement I-D to IESG for 
          publication as Informational RFC
Oct 2009  Submit initial draft on anonymization support
Oct 2009  Submit initial draft on flow selection
Oct 2009  Submit initial draft on structuring information elements
Jan 2010  Submit Configuration Data Model draft to IESG for publication 
          as Standards track RFC
Jan 2010  Submit Mediation Framework I-D to IESG for publication as 
          Informational RFC
Jan 2010  Submit final version of PSAMP MIB module
Jun 2010  Submit anonymization support I-D to IESG for publication as 
          Experimental RFC
Jun 2010  Submit flow selection I-D to IESG for publication as 
          Standards Track RFC
Jun 2010  Submit structuring information elements I-D to IESG for 
          publication as Standards Track RFC