Subject: Protocol Action: 'HTTP Enabled Location Delivery (HELD)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:44:58 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'HTTP Enabled Location Delivery (HELD) '
   <draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-16.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery-16.txt

Technical Summary:
  A Layer 7 Location Configuration Protocol (L7 LCP) is described that
  is used for retrieving location information from a server within an
  access network.  The protocol includes options for retrieving
  location information in two forms: by value and by reference.  The
  protocol is an extensible application-layer protocol that is
  independent of session-layer.  This document describes the use of
  Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) as a transport for the protocol.

Working Group Summary:
 
 This document represents a very strong consensus position of the 
 GEOPRIV working group. This consensus was unusually difficult 
 to acheive and carries a long history of conflict and compromise.

Document Quality:

There is at least one existing implementations of the protocol 
described in this document and strong interest in implementation
and deployment. The protocol described here is referenced in 
ongoing work in the ECRIT working group. Lisa Dusseault has been 
active as the GEOPRIV working group's technical advisor during the 
development of this document.

Personnel

   Richard Barnes is the proto document shepherd and Cullen Jennings
   is the mostly Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Please move  [I-D.ietf-ltru-4646bis] to be a Normative reference.

At the end of 1st paragraph of Section 5:
	
OLD:
 Messages are defined as XML documents.

NEW:
 Messages are defined as XML documents which are always encoded in UTF-8.
 Note that when "application/held+xml" media type is transported in HTTP
 the charset parameter with value UTF-8 is required.

Two changes in Section 11.3:

OLD:
     File extension(s): .xml
NEW:
     File extension(s): .heldxml

OLD:
  Interoperability considerations:  This content type provides a basis
     for a protocol
NEW:
  Interoperability considerations:  This content type provides a basis
     for a protocol.  There are multiple interoperable implementations 
     of this protocol.