Subject: Protocol Action: 'Data Structure for the Security Suitability of Cryptographic Algorithms (DSSC)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:51:46 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Data Structure for the Security Suitability of Cryptographic 
   Algorithms (DSSC) '
   <draft-ietf-ltans-dssc-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Long-Term Archive and Notary Services Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltans-dssc-12.txt

Technical Summary

   Since cryptographic algorithms can become weak over the years, it is
   necessary to evaluate their security suitability.  When signing or
   verifying data, or when encrypting or decrypting data, these
   evaluations must be considered.  This document specifies a data
   structure that enables an automated analysis of the security
   suitability of a given cryptographic algorithm at a given point of
   time which may be in the past, at the present time or in the future.

Working Group Summary

This document is a product of the ltans working group.  There was little
controversy regarding this draft.  There were some structural changes to
the schema following an earlier working group last call but no significant
comments recently.

Document Quality

There is one known current implementation. The implementation is part
of the long-term archiving solution ‘ArchiSoft’
(http://www.sit.fraunhofer.de/EN/forschungsbereich/tad/archisoft.jsp).

There was another implementation of an earlier version:
https://demo.pkipreserver.com/index.html.  This may be updated and
released as part of a related open source library: 
http://www.pkiframework.com/.  

Plans of other vendors to implement the specification are not known.
There were no reviewers, Media Types or other expert reviews.

Personnel

   Carl Wallace <[email-masked]> is the Document Shepherd
   for this document.  The Responsible Area Director is Tim Polk.