Subject: WG Action: Mobility Multicast (multimob)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Internet Area.  For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

Mobility Multicast (multimob)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:

Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Bechet Sarikaya < [email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:

Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multimob
Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/multimob/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

The Multicast mobility (multimob) working group provides guidance for
supporting multicast in a mobile environment. The scope of work will
be limited to Proxy Mobile IPv6, IGMPv3/MLDv2 protocols and listener
mobility. Work requiring modifications to mobility protocols and
IGMPv3/MLDv2 is out of scope in this first stage of this working group.
Modifications to multicast routing protocols are out of scope.

Specific goals for the group are:
- Document how multicast can be supported in a Proxy Mobile IPv6
environment
- Document the configuration of IGMPv3/MLDv2 in mobile environments

The Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) specification as defined in RFC 5213
does not describe how to support multicast. Some forms of multicast
support can, however, be built in the involved nodes by using existing
capabilities of multicast protocols and the underlying mobility
protocols. The first task of the working group is to document such
solutions for PMIPv6. This work will not require any additions or
changes to message types and parameters specified in RFC 5213, and
must assume an unmodified mobile host. The work will employ the remote
subscription model. This is a mechanism by which a mobile node joins a
multicast group and receives multicast data forwarded via the local
mobility anchor.

IGMPv3/MLDv2 has been specified for wired networks with shared links.
Mobile nodes have needs that are specific to wireless networks and
mobility (e.g. entering a dormant mode to conserve battery power,
minimizing the latency for joining and leaving a group in support of
movement).

The second task of the WG is to assess existing solutions for group
management, and determine to what extent these methods are sufficient
in a mobile environment. This will include recommending appropriate
selection of timer values and protocol parameters.

In performing its work, the working group will work closely with both
the mobility community (NETLMM and NETEXT WGs) and the multicast
community (MBONED WG). The group will consider both source specific
multicast and any source multicast multicast models.

Future work, subject to rechartering, may study/evaluate extensions to
support PMIPv6 optimizations to address the avalanche problem and fast
handover and extensions to IGMPv3/MLDv2 to support better operation in
mobile environments.

Goals and Milestones:

Nov 2009 Initial version of a document explaining the use of multicast
in PMIPv6
Nov 2009 Initial version of a document on how to tune IGMPv3/MLDv2 for
mobility
Apr 2010 Submit a document explaining the use of multicast in PMIPv6,
for publication as either Informational or Best Current Practice
Apr 2010 Submit a document on how to tune IGMPv3/MLDv2 for mobility,
for publication as either Informational or Best Current Practice
Jun 2010 Decision to include additional optimization work involving
extensions to PMIPv6
Jun 2010 Decision to include additional optimization work involving
extensions to IGMPv3 or MLDv2
Jun 2010 Recharter based on the above decisions (or close the group if
no new work is needed)