Subject: BCP 47, RFC 5646 on Tags for Identifying Languages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 15:20:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 47        
        RFC 5646

        Title:      Tags for Identifying Languages 
        Author:     A. Phillips, Ed.,
                    M. Davis, Ed.
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       September 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      84
        Characters: 208592
        Obsoletes:  RFC4646
        See Also:   BCP0047

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-23.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5646.txt

This document describes the structure, content, construction, and
semantics of language tags for use in cases where it is desirable to
indicate the language used in an information object.  It also
describes how to register values for use in language tags and the
creation of user-defined extensions for private interchange.  This document 
specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.

This document is a product of the Language Tag Registry Update Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute