Subject: RFC 5595 on The Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Service Codes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:08:02 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5595

        Title:      The Datagram Congestion Control Protocol 
                    (DCCP) Service Codes 
        Author:     G. Fairhurst
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 44803
        Updates:    RFC4340

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dccp-serv-codes-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5595.txt

This document describes the usage of Service Codes by the Datagram
Congestion Control Protocol, RFC 4340.  It motivates the setting of a
Service Code by applications.  Service Codes provide a method to
identify the intended service/application to process a DCCP
connection request.  This provides improved flexibility in the use and
assignment of port numbers for connection multiplexing.  The use of a
DCCP Service Code can also enable more explicit coordination of
services with middleboxes (e.g., network address translators and
firewalls).  This document updates the specification provided in RFC
4340.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute