Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Media Feature Tag for MIME Application Sub-Types' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:53:28 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Media Feature Tag for MIME 
   Application Sub-Types '
   <draft-rosenberg-sip-app-media-tag-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-app-media-tag-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
   The caller preferences specification for the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP) allows a caller to express preferences that the call
   be routed to a User Agent (UA) with particular capabilities.
   Similarly, a specification exists to allow a UA to indicate its
   capabilities in a registration.  Amongst those capabilities are the
   type of media streams the agent supports, described as top-level MIME
   types.  The 'application' MIME type is used to describe a broad range
   of stream types, and provides insufficient granularity as a
   capability.  This specification allows a UA to indicate which
   application sub-types the agent supports.

Working Group Summary
 
   This document is a contribution by an individual. The SIPPING 
   working group was aware of this document (it was discussed as
   part of the set of service identification documents in the 
   IETF68 and IETF69 timeframe) and the plan to advance
   it as an individual submission.
 
Document Quality
 
   While not a working group item, the document has received 
   attention from key SIP and SIPPING working group members.

Personel
  
  Robert Sparks is the responsible Area Director