Subject: Protocol Action: 'NACK-Oriented Reliable Multicast Transport Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 07:41:41 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'NACK-Oriented Reliable Multicast Transport Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-rmt-pi-norm-revised-14.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rmt-pi-norm-revised-14.txt

Technical Summary

  This document is an RMT Protocol Instantiation that completely
  specifies data and procedures useful for building a reliable multicast
  transport protocol based on negative-acknowledgment (NACK) feedback.  
  
  The protocol uses the Forward Error Correction (FEC) techniques and 
  building blocks specified by the RMT Working Group and fully specifies 
  a congestion control mechanism that allows safe deployment of the 
  protocol on networks along with TCP and other compatible transport 
  protocols.  The document builds upon the NACK based reliability 
  techniques described in another RMT WG document, 
  draft-ietf-rmt-bb-norm-revised.
 
  draft-ietf-rmt-pi-norm-revised-09 also includes a description of
  security considerations and fully describes a baseline approach
  for using IPSec mechanisms to provide protocol security.  Header
  extensions are also defined to allow alternative security mechanisms
  to be deployed if needed.

Working Group Summary

    There is consensus in the WG to publish this documents.

Document Quality

    The document is of high quality and has been subject to extensive
    review in its Internet Draft and Experimental RFC forms.  The
    revised draft represents a small number of changes from the original
    Experimental RFC 3940.
   
    A public domain, open source implementation of this NORM protocol
    specification is available for use from the U.S. Naval Research
    Laboratory.  This implementation has been widely used in a number of
    applications, including military and commercial systems. The protocol
    has successfully operated on a wide variety of network types.  The 
    INRIA organization has an implementation in progress.  The JPEG 2000 
    Digital Cinema group is considering specifying the NORM protocol for 
    some content distribution purposes.

    The content of this document was already reviewed and approved for
    publication as experimental RFC 3940. This document contains minor
    technical modifications.

Personnel

    Lorenzo Vicisano is the Document Shepherd.
    Magnus Westerlund is the Responsible Area Director.