Subject: Protocol Action: 'Baseline Encoding and Transport of Pre-Congestion Information' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:28:51 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Baseline Encoding and Transport of Pre-Congestion Information '
   <draft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-07.txt

Technical Summary

This document specifies a baseline encoding for pre-congestion
notification states in a PCN domain. The baseline encoding assumes
that the ECN bits in the IP header can be used to encode two PCN
states ("Not-marked", "PCN-marked") for packets belonging to certain
Diffserv behavior aggregates. The PCN-compatible Diffserv codepoints
are not specified, and are assumed to be configurable on a domain
basis. It is assumed that normal ECN behavior is not available for
packets within these behavior aggregates; however, the encoding allows
packets in these behavior aggregates to be marked as "Not-PCN". The
proposed alternative semantics of the ECN bits is consistent with the
rules specified in RFC 4774.

Working Group Summary

The proposed encoding is the product of substantial discussion
within group.

Personnel

The document shepherd was Steven Blake ([email-masked]).
Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed the document for the IESG.