Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP payload format for mU-law EMbedded Codec for Low-delay IP communication (UEMCLIP) speech codec' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:51:57 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTP payload format for mU-law EMbedded Codec for Low-delay IP 
   communication (UEMCLIP) speech codec '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-uemclip-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-uemclip-06.txt

Technical Summary

This document describes the RTP payload format of a mU-law Embedded
Coder for Low-delay IP communication (UEMCLIP), an enhanced speech codec
of ITU-T G.711.  The bitstream has a scalable structure with an embedded
u-law bitstream, also known as PCMU, thus providing a handy  transcoding
operation between narrowband and wideband speech.

          Working Group Summary

This is a reasonably standard RTP payload format. The document has been
reviewed by the AVT working group and all open issues were addressed 

          Document Quality

Media type review was conducted starting 26 February 2008, with no 
objections raised. There is at least one implementation. 

          Personnel

Roni Even is the document shepherd. 

The responsible area director is Cullen Jennings.

RFC Editor Note

OLD:
   Followings are additional guidelines for establishing a session using
   an offer-answer model.

NEW:
   The following is a detailed list on the semantics of using
   the UEMCLIP payload format in an offer-answer exchange:

In S1, second paragraph:
OLD
    switched using SDP exchange.
NEW 
   changed using an SDP exchange.

In S2, first paragraph:
OLD
   shift to the wideband.
NEW
  shift to using wideband communication.