Subject: Protocol Action: 'Layered Coding Transport (LCT) Building Block' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 09:23:02 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Layered Coding Transport (LCT) Building Block '
   <draft-ietf-rmt-bb-lct-revised-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rmt-bb-lct-revised-11.txt

Technical Summary

  This document is an RMT Building Block that specifies protocol headers
  and procedures useful for building a reliable multicast transport 
  protocol that can employ packet-level forward error correction (FEC) 
  coding to enable massively- scalable, reliable, unidirectional network 
  data transport without requiring receiver feedback. Layered Coding 
  Transport is specifically designed to support protocols using IP 
  multicast, but also provides support to protocols that use unicast.  
  Layered Coding Transport is compatible with congestion control that 
  provides multiple rate delivery to receivers.

Working Group Summary

    There is consensus in the WG to publish this documents.

Document Quality

    The document is of high quality and has been subject to extensive
    review in its Internet Draft and Experimental RFC forms.  The
    revised draft represents a small number of changes from the original
    Experimental RFC 3451.
   
    Open source implementations of the LCT protocol are available and
    considerable experience in using this protocol has been accumulated.
    The protocol has been adopted by the Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB)
    industry consortium for content delivery.

    The content of this document was already reviewed and approved for
    publication as experimental RFC 3451. This document contains minor
    technical modifications.

Personnel

    Brian Adamson is the Document Shepherd.
    Magnus Westerlund is the Responsible Area Director.