Subject: IESG Statement on Copyright

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 12:45:05 -0700 (PDT)

This IESG Statement obsoletes all earlier IESG Statements regarding
Copyright statements in MIB and PIB Modules.

The IESG is providing this guidance to align current practice with
RFC 5377, RFC 5378, and the resulting IETF Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info).

IETF Contributions and IETF Documents often include code components
that are intended to be directly processed by a computer. Examples of
such code components include ABNF definitions, XML Schemas, XML DTDs,
XML RelaxNG definitions, tables of values, MIBs, PIBs, ASN.1, and
classical programming source code. The IETF Trust maintains a list of
code component types. A link to this list can be found on this web
page: http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info.

In addition to the code component types listed, any text found between
the markers &lt;CODE BEGINS&gt; and &lt;CODE ENDS&gt; shall be considered
a code component. Authors may wish to use these markers as clear
delimiters of code components.

Authors are encouraged to collect code into a separate section or
appendix.

The TLP requires copyright notice in IETF Documents, but not necessarily
in each code component within an IETF Document. Authors may choose to
include a copyright notice as a comment when a significant amount of
code is collected together. For example, authors may include a
copyright notice in a comment as part of an ASN.1 module or a
representation of a classical programming language file. If IETF
Document authors choose to include a code component copyright notice
comment, they must follow the guidance in Section 6.d of the TLP.
Implementors that extract any code component from the IETF Document must
include the BSD license text as described in Section 4.e of the TLP.