Subject: RFC 5628 on Registration Event Package Extension for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Globally Routable User Agent URIs (GRUUs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:18:27 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5628

        Title:      Registration Event Package Extension for 
                    Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Globally Routable 
                    User Agent URIs (GRUUs) 
        Author:     P. Kyzivat
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 31031
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5628.txt

RFC 3680 defines a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) event package
for registration state.  This package allows a watcher to learn about
information stored by a SIP registrar, including its registered
contact.

However, the registered contact is frequently unreachable and thus
not useful for watchers.  The Globally Routable User Agent URI
(GRUU), defined in RFC 5627, is a URI that is capable of reaching a
particular contact.  However this URI is not included in the document
format defined in RFC 3680.  This specification defines an extension
to the registration event package to include GRUUs assigned by the
registrar.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute