Subject: Document Action: 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Extensions' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:37:35 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Authorization Extensions '
   <draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-09.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-09.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This document specifies authorization extensions to the Transport
   Layer Security (TLS) Handshake Protocol.  Extensions carried in the
   client and server hello messages to confirm that both parties support
   the desired authorization data types.  Then, if supported by both the
   client and the server, authorization information is exchanged in the
   supplemental data handshake message.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   This document is not the product of the TLS working group but has
   been reviewed there.  Changes were made to address comments. The
   document went through four contentious IETF last calls.  Controversy
   centered on RedPhone's IPR, but no technical issues were raised.  The
   IPR issues have been particularly heated, including a Free Software
   Foundation email campaign against standards with patented technology.
   The TLS working group chairs also raised procedural issues, stating
that
   standards track publications of this magnitude should be developed in
   the working group.  After some deliberation, I gauge rough consensus
   within the IETF to support publication as an Experimental RFC, but not
   to publish on the standards track.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Tim Polk.