Subject: Protocol Action: 'IKEv2 Session Resumption' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:00:18 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IKEv2 Session Resumption '
   <draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-resumption-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Pasi Eronen and Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-resumption-09.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes an efficient way to resume an IKEv2 session
   after it has failed. This avoids having to re-run the key exchange
   protocol from scratch, which can be onerous if EAP authentication
   is involved. The protocol uses an opaque ticket that can be stored
   by the client or in a centralized storage location.

Working Group Summary

   The document has rough consensus of the IPsecME WG.

Document Quality

   There was interest in this protocol from many vendors, but none
   have come forward to say that they have implemented it.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Paul Hoffman; the responsible
   area director is Pasi Eronen.