Subject: Protocol Action: 'An Inband Data Communication Network For the MPLS Transport Profile' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:12:07 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'An Inband Data Communication Network For the MPLS Transport Profile '
   <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-gach-dcn-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-gach-dcn-06.txt

Technical Summary

   The Generic Associated Channel (G-ACh) has been defined as a
   generalization of the pseudowire (PW) associated control channel to
   enable the realization of a control/communication channel associated
   with Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switched Paths
   (LSPs), MPLS PWs, MPLS LSP segments, and MPLS sections between
   adjacent MPLS-capable devices.

   This document describes how the G-ACh may be used to provide the
   infrastructure that forms part of the Management Communication
   Network (MCN) and a Signaling Communication Network (SCN).
   Collectively, the MCN and SCN may be referred to as the Data
   Communication Network (DCN). This document explains how MCN and SCN
   messages are encapsulated, carried on the G-ACh, and demultiplexed
   for delivery to the management or signaling/routing control plane
   components on an MPLS-TP node.

   It should be noted that the use of the G-ACh to provide connectivity
   for the DCN is intended for use only where the MPLS-TP network is not
   capable of encapsulating or delivering native DCN messages.

Working Group Summary

   The document is part of the MPLS-TP project, the cooperation
   between IETF and ITU-T to specify an MPLS transport profile.
   The working group has consensus on the document, and the ITU-T
   has indicated that it supports the publication. 

Document Quality

   We have seen test implementations of the G-ACh and received
   feedback, but we know of no current implementations of the MCC
   or SCC. We have been informed by two vendors of their intent to  
   implement soon. The document review has been substantial.
   Considerable input to early revisions was received from MPLS WG
   participants, from participants in the MPLS-TP project. The WG 
   last call was liaised to the ITU-T, and the final revision
   (including resolution to WG last call comments) was supported by
   the ITU-T in a liaison.(see PROTO writeup by Loa Andersson in the 
   ID tracker). 

Personnel

   Loa Andersson is the Document Shepherd. Ross Callon is the 
   responsible area director. 

RFC Editor Note

Section 4
OLD
   The G-ACh provides a virtual link between MPLS-TP nodes and might be
   used to induce many forms of security attack. Protocols that operate
   over the MCN or SCN are REQUIRED to include adequate security
   mechanisms and implementations MUST allow operators to configure the
   use of those mechanisms.
NEW
   The G-ACh provides a virtual link between MPLS-TP nodes and might be
   used to induce many forms of security attack. The MPLS data plane
   does not include any security mechanisms of its own, therefore it is
   important that protocols using the DCN apply their own security.
   Protocols that operate over the MCN or SCN are REQUIRED to include
   adequate security mechanisms and implementations MUST allow operators
   to configure the use of those mechanisms.
END