Subject: Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-braden-independent-submission-01.txt

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 15:33:16 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'Procedures for Rights Handling in the RFC Independent Stream' <draft-braden-independent-submission-01.txt> as an Informational RFC.

The IESG would also like the IRSG or RFC-Editor to review the comments in 
the datatracker 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=19052&rfc_flag=0) 
related to this document and determine whether or not they merit 
incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot 
and the comment log. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-braden-independent-submission-01.txt

The process for such documents is described at http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html.

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

  This document specifies the procedures by which authors of RFC
  Independent Stream documents grant the community "incoming" rights for
  copying and using the text.  It also specifies the "outgoing" rights
  the community grants to readers and users of those documents, and it
  requests that the IETF Trust manage the outgoing rights to affect this
  result.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not the product of any IETF WG.

Protocol Quality

  The document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

  The IESG has not found any conflict between this document and IETF
  work.  However, the IESG has two concerns.

  1) This paragraph has a problem:

     In summary, submissions in the Independent Stream use the same
     submission procedures and mechanisms that are defined in RFC 5378,
     and hence require the same "incoming rights" as IETF-stream
     documents.  This document explicitly defines the "outgoing rights"
     that are granted to readers and users of Independent Stream
     documents, and it requests the IETF Trust to manage the rights in
     accordance with this definition.

  This document does not explicitly define the "outgoing rights".  If the

  IETF Trust is to manage the IPR, then this document is providing
  advice to the Trustees of the IETF Trust on Rights to Be Granted in
  Independent Submission Stream Documents.

  2) The IESG has concerns about this paragraph:

     Note also that this unlimited derivative works policy applies to all

     parts of an Independent Stream document, including any code.
     Therefore, no separate licensing procedure is required for extracting

     and adapting code that is contained in an Independent Stream
document
     submitted under the (preferred) unlimited derivative works terms.  On

     the other hand, code may not be extracted and adapted from
     Independent Stream documents submitted under the no derivative works
     terms.

  So far, the IETF Trust has used the BSD license for all code.  One
  important aspect of this license is the "as is" warranty.  The IESG
  requests that the RFC Editor confer with the IAB on the decision to
  use an unlimited derivative works policy without any warranty clause.

IESG Note

  The IESG has determined that no IESG note is needed for this document.