Subject: Document Action: 'A Framework for Loop-free Convergence' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 08:39:34 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Framework for Loop-free Convergence '
   <draft-ietf-rtgwg-lf-conv-frmwk-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Routing Area Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rtgwg-lf-conv-frmwk-07.txt

Technical Summary

   A micro-loop is a packet forwarding loop which may occur transiently
   among two or more routers in a hop by hop packet forwarding paradigm.
   This framework provides a summary of the causes and consequences of
   micro-loops and enables the reader to form a judgement on whether
   micro-looping is an issue that needs to be addressed in specific
   networks.  It also provides a survey of the currently proposed
   mechanisms that may be used to prevent or to suppress the formation
   of micro-loops when an IP or MPLS network undergoes topology change
   due to failure, repair or management action.  When sufficiently fast
   convergence is not available and the topology is susceptible to
   micro-loops, use of one or more of these mechanisms may be desirable.

Working Group Summary

   No controversy reported (see PROTO writeup by John Scudder). This 
   document has been evolving since 2006 and reflects a good summary
   of the approaches explored by the WG. 

Document Quality

   The document is a framework intended as an Informational RFC and
   does not specify a protocol.  It has received reasonable review
   from WG members, and has been updated in response to Gen-ART 
   comments by Ben Campbell as well as IETF last call and IESG comments. 

Personnel

   John Scudder is the Document Shepherd for this document. Ross
   Callon is the Responsible Area Director.