Subject: RFC 5706 on Guidelines for Considering Operations and Management of New Protocols and Protocol Extensions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 16:06:31 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5706

        Title:      Guidelines for Considering Operations and 
                    Management of New Protocols and Protocol 
                    Extensions 
        Author:     D. Harrington
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       November 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 82165
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5706.txt

New protocols or protocol extensions are best designed with due
consideration of the functionality needed to operate and manage the
protocols.  Retrofitting operations and management is sub-optimal.
The purpose of this document is to provide guidance to authors and
reviewers of documents that define new protocols or protocol
extensions regarding aspects of operations and management that should
be considered.  This memo provides information for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute