Subject: Last Call: rfc3848 (ESMTP and LMTP Transmission Types Registration) to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:34:21 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider 
the following document:

- 'ESMTP and LMTP Transmission Types Registration '
  RFC 3848 as a Draft Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2009-12-23. Exceptionally, 
comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please 
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3848.txt

The document currently has 4 normative references:

1) RFC 3207: "SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over Transport
Layer Security". This is a downref.

2) RFC 2821: "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol".
Should a new version of this document be required, this will be changed to
RFC 5321, which is a Draft Standard, so it is not going to be a downref.

3) RFC 2554: "SMTP Service Extension for Authentication". This document
was obsoleted by RFC 4954, but the latter is still a downref.

4) RFC 2033: "Local Mail Transfer Protocol". This document is Informational,
So it is a downref.

Implementation Report can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation.html
Initial set of implementations is currently in the datatracker (see below).

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=3848&rfc_flag=1