Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTCP Extensions for Single-Source Multicast Sessions with Unicast Feedback' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:20:39 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTCP Extensions for Single-Source Multicast Sessions with Unicast 
   Feedback '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtcpssm-19.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtcpssm-19.txt

Technical Summary

This document specifies an extension to the Real-time Transport
Control Protocol (RTCP) to use unicast feedback to a multicast
sender. The proposed extension is useful for single-source multicast
sessions such as Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) communication where
the traditional model of many-to-many group communication is either
not available or not desired. In addition, it can be applied to any
group that might benefit from a sender-controlled summarized
reporting mechanism.

Working Group Summary

There is interest in this work both with AVT and the MBONED 
community, and solid consensus to publish the draft.

Document Quality

The draft fills an important gap and is needed to deployed SSM-based
IPTV systems. As a result there is strong interest in seeing it 
done, and implementations are expected.

Personnel

Colin Perkins is the proto document shepherd. Cullen Jennings is the 
responsible area director.