Subject: Protocol Action: 'Post-Repair Loss RLE Report Block Type for RTCP XR' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:17:58 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Post-Repair Loss RLE Report Block Type for RTCP XR '
   <draft-ietf-avt-post-repair-rtcp-xr-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-post-repair-rtcp-xr-07.txt

          Technical Summary

This document defines a new report block type within the framework of RTP
Control Protocol (RTCP) Extended Reports (XR).  One of the initial XR
report
block types is the Loss Run Length Encoding (RLE) Report Block.  This
report
conveys the information regarding the individual Real-time Transport
Protocol (RTP) packet receipt and loss events experienced during the RTCP
interval preceding the transmission of the report.  The new report, which
is
referred to as the Post-repair Loss RLE Report, carries the information
regarding the remaining lost packets after all loss-repair methods are
applied.  By comparing the RTP packet receipts/losses before and after the
loss repair is completed, one can determine the effectiveness of the
loss-repair methods in an aggregated fashion.  This document also defines
the signaling of the Post-repair Loss RLE Report in the Session
Description
Protocol (SDP).  

Working Group Summary
 
The document has been reviewed by the AVT working group to ensure
consistency with RTCP XR.

            Document Quality

There are implementations of RTCP-XR and this draft adds a new report
type.
The document was reviewed by Alan Clark and Geoff Hunt, both have been
involved with the RTCP-XR work. 

          Personnel

Roni Even is the document shepherd.