Subject: Protocol Action: 'Asynchronous Layered Coding (ALC) Protocol Instantiation' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 21:14:52 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Asynchronous Layered Coding (ALC) Protocol Instantiation '
   <draft-ietf-rmt-pi-alc-revised-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rmt-pi-alc-revised-10.txt

Technical Summary

   This document is an Reliable Multicast Transport (RMT) Protocol 
   Specification that builds upon the RMT Layered Coding Transport (LCT)
   building block document. This specification describes a massively 
   scalable reliable content delivery protocol, Asynchronous Layered 
   Coding (ALC), for multiple rate congestion controlled reliable content
   delivery.  The protocol is specifically designed to provide massive 
   scalability using IP multicast as the underlying network service.  
   Massive scalability in this context means the number of concurrent 
   receivers for an object is potentially in the millions, the aggregate 
   size of objects to be delivered in a session ranges from hundreds of 
   kilobytes to hundreds of gigabytes, each receiver can initiate 
   reception of an object asynchronously, the reception rate of each 
   receiver in the session is the maximum fair bandwidth available 
   between that receiver and the sender, and all of this can be supported
   using a single sender.

Working Group Summary

    There is consensus in the WG to publish this documents.

Document Quality

    The document is of high quality and has been subject to extensive
    review in its Internet Draft and Experimental RFC forms.  The
    revised draft represents a small number of changes from the original
    Experimental RFC 3450.
   
    Open source implementations of the ALC protocol are available and
    considerable experience in using this protocol has been accumulated.
    The protocol has been adopted by the Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB)
    industry consortium for content delivery.

    The content of this document was already reviewed and approved for
    publication as experimental RFC 3450. This document contains minor
    technical modifications.

Personnel

    Brian Adamson is the Document Shepherd.
    Magnus Westerlund is the Responsible Area Director.