Subject: RFC 5694 on Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Architecture: Definition, Taxonomies, Examples, and Applicability

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:30:15 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5694

        Title:      Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Architecture:
                    Definition, Taxonomies, Examples, and Applicability 
        Author:     G. Camarillo, Ed.,
                    IAB
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       November 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 68446
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-p2p-archs-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5694.txt

In this document, we provide a survey of P2P (Peer-to-Peer) systems.
The survey includes a definition and several taxonomies of P2P
systems.  This survey also includes a description of which types of
applications can be built with P2P technologies and examples of P2P
applications that are currently in use on the Internet.  Finally, we
discuss architectural trade-offs and provide guidelines for deciding
whether or not a P2P architecture would be suitable to meet the
requirements of a given application.  This memo provides information
for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute