Subject: RFC 5701 on IPv6 Address Specific BGP Extended Community Attribute

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:30:41 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5701

        Title:      IPv6 Address Specific BGP Extended 
                    Community Attribute 
        Author:     Y. Rekhter
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       November 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 9626
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l3vpn-v6-ext-communities-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5701.txt

Current specifications of BGP Extended Communities (RFC 4360)
support the IPv4 Address Specific Extended Community, but do not
support an IPv6 Address Specific Extended Community.  The lack of an IPv6 Address Specific Extended Community may be a problem when an application
uses the IPv4 Address Specific Extended Community, and one wants to use
this application in a pure IPv6 environment.  This document defines
a new BGP attribute, the IPv6 Address Specific Extended Community, that
addresses this problem.  The IPv6 Address Specific Extended Community
is similar to the IPv4 Address Specific Extended Community, except
that it carries an IPv6 address rather than an IPv4 address.  [STANDARDS
TRACK]

This document is a product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute