Subject: Protocol Action: 'URI Scheme for GSM Short Message Service' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 12:54:42 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'URI Scheme for GSM Short Message Service '
   <draft-wilde-sms-uri-20.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wilde-sms-uri-20.txt

Technical Summary
 
 This registers a new URI scheme that has similar functionality to 
 "mailto", but for SMS messages instead.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 This is not a WG product.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 Lisa Dusseault reviewed this for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note
 
The author has provided updated XML for section 2.4, the bulleted list:

  <list style="symbols">
    <t>Both must be either a &lt;local-number> or a &lt;global-number&lt;,
i.e., start with a "+".</t>
    <t>The &lt;global-number-digits> and the &lt;local-number-digits> must
be equal, after removing all visual separators.</t>
    <t>For mandatory additional parameters and the &lt;phone-context> and
&lt;extension> parameters defined in RFC 3966 <xref target="RFC3966"/>,
the &lt;phone-context> parameter value is compared as a host name if it is
a &lt;domainname> or digit by digit if it is &lt;global-number-digits>.
The latter is compared after removing all &lt;visual-separator>
characters.</t>
    <t>Parameters are compared according to &lt;pname>, regardless of the
order they appeared in the URI. If one URI has a parameter name not found
in the other, the two URIs are not equal.</t>
    <t>URI comparisons are case-insensitive.</t>
  </list>

IESG Note

 (Insert IESG Note here)

IANA Note

 (Insert IANA Note here)