Subject: Protocol Action: 'Handling of overlapping IPv6 fragments' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:02:13 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Handling of overlapping IPv6 fragments '
   <draft-ietf-6man-overlap-fragment-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-overlap-fragment-03.txt

Technical Summary

   The fragmentation and reassembly algorithm specified in the
   base IPv6 specification allows fragments to overlap.  This
   document demonstrates the security issues with allowing
   overlapping fragments and updates the IPv6 specification to
   explicitly forbid overlapping fragments.

Working Group Summary

    The 6MAN working group has done extensive review of this
    document and it represents the strong consensus of the group.

Document Quality

   This document has been reviewed by key members of the 6MAN
   working group and the chairs.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd is Brian Haberman and the responsible
   Area Director is Jari Arkko.

RFC Editor Note

   Please move references RFC 1858 and RFC 4942 to the informative
   references section.

   Please add the following text to the end of Section 4:

   Nodes MAY also provide mechanisms to track the reception of
   such packets, for instance, by implementing counters or
   alarms relating to these events.

   Please change the title of Section 4 to "Node Behavior"

   Please change the last sentence of Section 1 as follows:

   OLD:
   This document explores the issues that can be caused by overlapping
   fragments.
   NEW:
   This document explores the issues that can be caused by overlapping
   fragments and updates the IPv6 specification to explicitly forbid 
   overlapping fragments.