Subject: RFC 5740 on NACK-Oriented Reliable Multicast (NORM) Transport Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:31:14 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5740

        Title:      NACK-Oriented Reliable Multicast (NORM) Transport 
                    Protocol 
        Author:     B. Adamson, C. Bormann,
                    M. Handley, J. Macker
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       November 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      96
        Characters: 268831
        Obsoletes:  RFC3940

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rmt-pi-norm-revised-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5740.txt

This document describes the messages and procedures of the Negative-
ACKnowledgment (NACK) Oriented Reliable Multicast (NORM) protocol.
This protocol can provide end-to-end reliable transport of bulk data
objects or streams over generic IP multicast routing and forwarding
services.  NORM uses a selective, negative acknowledgment mechanism
for transport reliability and offers additional protocol mechanisms
to allow for operation with minimal a priori coordination among
senders and receivers.  A congestion control scheme is specified to
allow the NORM protocol to fairly share available network bandwidth
with other transport protocols such as Transmission Control Protocol
(TCP).  It is capable of operating with both reciprocal multicast
routing among senders and receivers and with asymmetric connectivity
(possibly a unicast return path) between the senders and receivers.
The protocol offers a number of features to allow different types of
applications or possibly other higher-level transport protocols to
utilize its service in different ways.  The protocol leverages the
use of FEC-based (forward error correction) repair and other IETF
Reliable Multicast Transport (RMT) building blocks in its design.
This document obsoletes RFC 3940.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute