Subject: RFC 5696 on Baseline Encoding and Transport of Pre-Congestion Information

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:29:54 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5696

        Title:      Baseline Encoding and Transport of 
                    Pre-Congestion Information 
        Author:     T. Moncaster, B. Briscoe,
                    M. Menth
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       November 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 33112
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5696.txt

The objective of the Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) architecture
is to protect the quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within
a Diffserv domain.  It achieves this by marking packets belonging to
PCN-flows when the rate of traffic exceeds certain configured
thresholds on links in the domain.  These marks can then be evaluated
to determine how close the domain is to being congested.  This
document specifies how such marks are encoded into the IP header by
redefining the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) codepoints
within such domains.  The baseline encoding described here provides
only two PCN encoding states: Not-marked and PCN-marked.  Future
extensions to this encoding may be needed in order to provide more
than one level of marking severity.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute