Subject: Protocol Action: 'Change Process for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Real- time Applications and Infrastructure Area' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 20:33:55 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Change Process for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Real- 
   time Applications and Infrastructure Area '
   <draft-peterson-rai-rfc3427bis-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-peterson-rai-rfc3427bis-04.txt

Technical Summary

  This memo documents a process intended to apply architectural
  discipline to the future development of the Session Initiation
  Protocol (SIP).  There have been concerns with regards to new SIP
  proposals.  Specifically, that the addition of new SIP features can be
  damaging towards security and/or greatly increase the complexity of
  the protocol.  The Real-Time Applications and Infrastructure (RAI)
  Area Directors (ADs), in consultation with RAI Area participants and
  working group chairs, have provided guidance for SIP modifications
  and extensions.

Working Group Summary

  Although this is not a product of any working group, it received
  considerable attention on the RAI Area mailing list, as well as
  face time in RAI area meetings. The mailing list supports the
  advancement of this specification.

Document Quality

  The document has received extended review on the RAI mailing list.

Personnel

  Jon Peterson is the document shepherd.

  The document requires the appointment of a designated expert; the
  RAI ADs propose that the experts be the chairs of the SIPCORE
  working group (currently Adam Roach and Gonzalo Camarillo).