Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extending ICMP for Interface and Next-hop Identification' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:33:38 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Extending ICMP for Interface and Next-hop Identification '
   <draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered-09.txt

Technical Summary

   This draft extends ICMP to provide additional diagnostic
   information regarding incoming and outgoing interfaces.

Working Group Summary

   This draft has been discussed in the Internet Area mailing
   list and meetings; considerable discussion happened on the
   topic of including next-hop information. The document is
   an AD sponsored submission, however. 

   In January 2009, a late IPR declaration forced the draft to
   go back to the WG. It has now returned after no one objected
   in the new WGLC (after the new IPR license declaration was
   posted).

   In the fall of 2009, the document went through another round
   of WG reviews and an IETF last call was requested, as the
   document had been largely rewritten in the summer to address
   IESG review comments from the previous round.

Document Quality

   The document has been extensively reviewed and discussed.

Personnel

   There is no document shepherd. The responsible AD is
   Jari Arkko.