Subject: Document Action: 'Framework and Requirements for an Access Node Control Mechanism in Broadband Multi-Service Networks' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:51:07 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Framework and Requirements for an Access Node Control Mechanism in 
   Broadband Multi-Service Networks '
   <draft-ietf-ancp-framework-12.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Access Node Control Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ancp-framework-12.txt

Technical Summary

  The Access Node Control Protocol (ANCP) aims to communicate QoS- 
  related, service-related and subscriber-related configurations and 
  operations between a Network Access Server (NAS) and an Access Node 
  (e.g., a Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM)).  The 
  main goal of this protocol is to allow the NAS to configure, manage 
  and control access equipments including the ability for the access 
  nodes to report information to the NAS. 

  The draft lays down a framework for the protocol. It describes the
  use-cases and likely deployment scenarios as well as outlining the
  functionality that the protocol will have to provide to support these.
  The document is INFORMATIONAL and is a product of the ANCP working
  group. 

Working Group Summary

  The origin of the draft can be traced back to the WT-147 "Layer 2
  Control Protocol" document from the Broadband Forum. The WG spent
  some time in revising that draft and fine-tuning use-cases and
  terminology. A fair bit of WG discussions occurred regarding the
  scope of the "multicast control use-cases", and how these relate to
  a policy system architecture. In this, debate mainly focused on the
  bandwidth admission control functionality aspects of the Access Node
  and the NAS. So as to arrive at rough consensus a number of options
  ended up being described in the draft. 

Document Quality

  The document is a protocol framework, with the protocol being
  specified in a separate WG draft (draft-ietf-ancp-protocol). The
  latter has a number of implementations.

Personnel

  Document shepherd: Wojciech Dec ([email-masked])
  Responsible Area Director: Ralph Droms ([email-masked])