Subject: RFC 5719 on Updated IANA Considerations for Diameter Command Code Allocations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:53:27 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5719

        Title:      Updated IANA Considerations for Diameter 
                    Command Code Allocations 
        Author:     D. Romascanu, H. Tschofenig
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 11268
        Updates:    RFC3588

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dime-diameter-cmd-iana-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5719.txt

The Diameter base specification, described in RFC 3588, provides a
number of ways to extend Diameter, with new Diameter commands (i.e.,
messages used by Diameter applications) and applications as the most
extensive enhancements.  RFC 3588 illustrates the conditions that
lead to the need to define a new Diameter application or a new
command code.  Depending on the scope of the Diameter extension, IETF
actions are necessary.  Although defining new Diameter applications
does not require IETF consensus, defining new Diameter commands
requires IETF consensus per RFC 3588.  This has led to questionable
design decisions by other Standards Development Organizations, which
chose to define new applications on existing commands -- rather than
asking for assignment of new command codes -- for the pure purpose of
avoiding bringing their specifications to the IETF.  In some cases,
interoperability problems were an effect of the poor design caused by
overloading existing commands.

This document aligns the extensibility rules of the Diameter
application with the Diameter commands, offering ways to delegate
work on Diameter to other SDOs to extend Diameter in a way that does
not lead to poor design choices.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Diameter Maintanence and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC