Subject: Smart Power Directorate

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:29:26 -0800 (PST)

I have just formed the Smart Power Directorate.  Information about the
Directorate can be found here:
   http://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate/smart-power.html

The Smart Power Directorate will provide review and coordination on the
use of Internet protocols to provide smart grid communications. The goal
is to point other organizations to relevant IETF documents and provide
review of documents from other organizations that depend upon Internet
protocols. If the directorate identifies a gap that requires new work in
the IETF, the directorate will raise the issue with the IESG. That is, the
directorate will not develop new protocols or enhance existing ones. This
review and coordination will require expertise from all of the Areas in
the IETF.

Fred Baker as the liaison to the US Smart Grid Interoperability Panel
(SGIP) will play a significant role for the Directorate.  In addition, I
am still in the process of gathering people to represent each of the IETF
Areas.  I would like to see a non-IESG member loosely representing each
IETF Area.  Representatives have been identified for the General,
Internet, and Routing Areas.  If you would like to be considered for one
of the other Areas, please contact the Area Director for that Area.

Russ Housley
General Area Director