Subject: Protocol Action: 'IANA Considerations for Network Layer Protocol Identifiers' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:40:14 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IANA Considerations for Network Layer Protocol Identifiers '
   <draft-eastlake-nlpid-iana-considerations-04.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-nlpid-iana-considerations-04.txt

Technical Summary

  Network Layer Protcol IDs (NLPIDs) are used in a number of
  protocols that the IETF has specified or is extending. Examples
  include the NBMA Next Hop Resolution Protocol and the IS-IS
  Protocols Supported TLV. The registry of these values is maintained
  by ISO/IEC. This document provides the IANA Considerations
  procedures for originating and documenting the allocation of an
  NLPID from within the IETF.

Working Group Summary

  This document was not produced by an IETF working group but is
  supported by a clear consensus of the community of interest.

Document Quality

  The document has been reviewed by the IETF TRILL and IS-IS working
  group chairs, the Internet and Routing ADs, the IETF Chair, the
  Editor of IEEE P802.1aq, IANA, the IETF Liaison to ISO/IEC JTC1
  SC6, and other technical experts. Document quality is high.

Personnel

   Dan Romascanu is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

1. Please add the following to the first paragraph in Section 2.3

"One byte code points are assigned to TRILL and IEEE 802.1aq as they are
intended for use within the IS-IS Protocols Supported TLV [RFC1195]."

2. In Section 3: 

OLD: 

 As long as code points are available, IANA will allocate additional
   values when required by an IETF Standards Action.

NEW: 

 As long as code points are available, IANA will allocate additional
   values when required by applying IETF Review policy as per [RFC5226].

3. Move [TRILL] from Informative to Normative References