Subject: Document Action: 'Guidelines for Implementing DVB-IPTV Application-Layer Hybrid FEC Protection' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:10:13 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Guidelines for Implementing DVB-IPTV Application-Layer Hybrid FEC 
   Protection '
   <draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the FEC Framework Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-04.txt

Technical Summary
The Annex E of the DVB-IPTV technical specification defines an
optional Application-layer Forward Error Correction (AL-FEC) protocol
to protect the streaming media carried over RTP transport. The
DVB-IPTV AL-FEC protocol uses two layers for FEC protection: 1-D
parity code base layer, and a Raptor code enhancement layer. By
offering a layered approach, the DVB-IPTV AL-FEC protocol offers a
good protection against both bursty and random packet loss at a cost
of decent complexity. This document describes how one can implement
the DVB-IPTV AL-FEC protocol by using the 1-D interleaved parity code
and the Raptor code which are specified in separate documents

Working Group Summary
There were no seriously contentious issues during the WG process. The
only controversy stemmed from some individuals who did the work in
SMPTE and defied this approach in the DVB spec, who felt the IETF
should not be doing this work. But there were industry requests for an
IETF definition of the DVB spec and so this work progressed.

Document Quality
Any DVB-compliant implementation will be compliant with the DVP-IPTV
AL-FEC specification as well.

Personal
Document Shepherd – Greg Shepherd
Responsible Area Director - Magnus Westerlund