Subject: Document Action: 'Binding Extensions to Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV)' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 06:28:56 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Binding Extensions to Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning 
   (WebDAV) '
   <draft-ietf-webdav-bind-27.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-bind-27.txt

      Technical Summary

   The WebDAV BIND extensions adds the ability for a client to create
different "bindings" between URIs and resources on a WebDAV server. This
is similar to file system "hard linking" or "aliases". Clients can also
discover bindings on the server even in cases where they cannot create
them. Additionally this specification clarifies some aspects of RFC3253
(Delta-V) that rely on the BIND model.

      Working Group Summary

   Discussion has taken place on the WebDAV mailing list over a long
period of time as the document has evolved. There have been three
"informal" last calls on the document during this time.
   However this document is not a WG document, as WebDAV has concluded
since.

      Document Quality

   Several implementations of this specification already exist (Apache
Jackrabbit, Apache Slide, SAP Netweaver KM). Additionally Java Content
Repository (JCR) 2.0 ('shareable nodes' feature) and Content Management
Interoperability Services (CMIS) ('multifiling' feature) specs both
specify identical concepts which need BIND in order to be exposed via
WebDAV. Discussion of how this extension might be used in CalDAV and
CardDAV to implement "shared" calendars or address books is also on-going.