Subject: RFC 5688 on A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Media Feature Tag for MIME Application Subtypes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:52:57 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5688

        Title:      A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
                    Media Feature Tag for MIME Application 
                    Subtypes 
        Author:     J. Rosenberg
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 15259
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-rosenberg-sip-app-media-tag-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5688.txt

The caller preferences specification for the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP) allows a caller to express preferences that the call
be routed to a User Agent (UA) with particular capabilities.
Similarly, a specification exists to allow a UA to indicate its
capabilities in a registration.  Amongst those capabilities are the
type of media streams the agent supports, described as top-level MIME
types.  The 'application' MIME type is used to describe a broad range
of stream types, and it provides insufficient granularity as a
capability.  This specification allows a UA to indicate which
application subtypes the agent supports.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC