Subject: RFC 5712 on MPLS Traffic Engineering Soft Preemption

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:55:07 -0800

Resending.

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 5712 on MPLS Traffic Engineering Soft Preemption
From: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 23:09:15 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5712

        Title:      MPLS Traffic Engineering Soft Preemption 
        Author:     M. Meyer, Ed.,
                    JP. Vasseur, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 27371
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-soft-preemption-18.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5712.txt

This document specifies Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Traffic
Engineering Soft Preemption, a suite of protocol modifications
extending the concept of preemption with the goal of reducing or
eliminating traffic disruption of preempted Traffic Engineering Label
Switched Paths (TE LSPs).  Initially, MPLS RSVP-TE was defined with
support for only immediate TE LSP displacement upon preemption.  The
utilization of a reroute request notification helps more gracefully
mitigate the reroute process of preempted TE LSP.  For the brief
period soft preemption is activated, reservations (though not
necessarily traffic levels) are in effect under-provisioned until the
TE LSP(s) can be rerouted.  For this reason, the feature is
primarily, but not exclusively, interesting in MPLS-enabled IP
networks with Differentiated Services and Traffic Engineering
capabilities.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

----- End forwarded message -----