Subject: Protocol Action: 'IANA Guidelines for IPv4 Multicast Address Assignments' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:16:57 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IANA Guidelines for IPv4 Multicast Address Assignments '
   <draft-ietf-mboned-rfc3171bis-08.txt> as a BCP

This document is the product of the MBONE Deployment Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-rfc3171bis-08.txt

Technical Summary

   The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) (www.iana.org) is
   charged with allocating parameter values for fields in protocols
   which have been designed, created or are maintained by the Internet
   Engineering Task Force (IETF).  RFC 2780 provides the IANA guidance
   in the assignment of parameters for fields in newly developed
   protocols.  This memo expands on section 4.4.2 of RFC 2780 and attempts

   to codify existing IANA practices and provide guidance in the
   assignment IPv4 multicast addresses.

   This document is a revision of RFC 3171, which it obsoletes.  It also
   obsoletes RFC 3138, removes the "eGLOP" designation for the IANA
reserved part of the GLOP address space (233.252.0.0 - 233.255.255.255),
and converts that address range into AD HOC BLOCK III, thereby finally
making this space available for assignment. The first /24 in this range, 
233.252.0.0/24, is assigned as "MCAST-TEST-NET" for use in documentation
and example code.

Working Group Summary

   This document received extensive discussion and solid consensus  
from the WG;
   no major controversies were noted.

Document Quality

   This memo attempts to codify existing IANA practices and provide
   guidance in the assignment IPv4 multicast addresses.  This memo
   received extensive review from Alfred Hnes, Bharat Joshi primarily
   on textual issues, while Pekka Savola provided some substantive
   comments.  The textual comments were addressed relatively easily in
   the document.  The substantive concerns were incorporated in the
   document or will be addressed in a future policy document.

Personnel

   Marshall Eubanks is the Document Shepherd, Ron Bonica is the
   Responsible Area Director.  The IANA Expert(s) for the registries in
   this document are Marshall Eubanks (for Multicast Addresses).

RFC Editor Notes

OLD

Network Working Group                                          M. Cotton
Internet-Draft                                                 L. Vegoda
Obsoletes: 3171, 3138                                              ICANN
(if approved)                                                   D. Meyer
Intended status: BCP                                      April 15, 2009
Expires: October 17, 2009

NEW
Network Working Group                                          M. Cotton
Internet-Draft                                                 L. Vegoda
Obsoletes: 3171, 3138                                              ICANN
Updates: 2780                                                  D.Meyer
(if approved)                                              April 15, 2009
Intended status: BCP                                      
Expires: October 17, 2009