Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Metalink Download Description Format' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:36:32 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Metalink Download Description Format '
   <draft-bryan-metalink-28.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bryan-metalink-28.txt

Technical Summary

   This document specifies Metalink, an XML-based download description
   format.  Metalink describes download locations (mirrors), checksums,
   and other information.  Clients can transparently use this
   information to reliably transfer files.

Working Group Summary

   This is not a WG product.  It has been developed independently, and
   achieved interoperability already.  It was reviewed to a reasonable
   extent within the IETF, e.g. the Apps Discuss mailing list.

Document Quality

   There are interoperable implementations.

   The XML Namespace registration depends on an expert who has not
   been assigned yet, due to a change in processing of IANA registrations.

   I need to check on the MIME type registration

Personnel

   Lisa Dusseault is the sponsoring Area Director.