Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Audio/Video Transport (avt)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:45:02 -0800 (PST)

The Audio/Video Transport (avt) working group in the Real-time
Applications and Infrastructure Area of the IETF has been rechartered. 
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the
working group Chairs.

Audio/Video Transport (avt)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
 * Roni Even <[email-masked]>
 * Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
 * Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
 * Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
 * Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt
 Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Audio/Video Transport Working Group was formed to specify a protocol
for real-time transmission of audio and video over unicast and multicast 
UDP/IP. This is the Real-time Transport Protocol, RTP, along with its 
associated profiles and payload formats.

RTP itself has been shepherded to Full Standard. Its associated
profiles, extensions, and payload formats are currently at various
levels of stardards maturity. This working group's current work
centers in four areas:

1) Maintenance of the core RTP/RTCP protocols and the AVP, SAVP, AVPF, 
   and SAVPF profiles

2) Specification and maintenance of payload formats for use with RTP

3) Specification of metric blocks for use with the RTCP Extended Report 
   (XR) framework

4) Extensions to the core protocols to facilitate joining,
   synchronizing, control, and monitoring of RTP multimedia
   sessions

In these areas, the group is chartered to focus on the following
tasks. Work supporting those areas, but not reflected in these
tasks must not be accepted by the working group without an explicit
re-chartering. In particular, new items supporting the fourth area
are expected to be reviewed in DISPATCH before being considered new
charter items for this group.

1) Maintenance of the core RTP/SRTP/RTCP protocols
   and the AVP, SAVP, AVPF, and SAVPF profiles
   - maintain and enhance the SRTP Profile, with review and input
     from the Security Area
   - specify how to use Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
     with RTP/RTCP
   - continue to investigate the export of summarized RTP/RTCP
     information for operations and monitoring purposes

2) Specification and maintenance of payload formats for use with RTP
   - provide guidelines for payload format design
   - develop payload formats for new media codecs
   - review and revise existing payload formats to advance those
     which are useful to Draft Standard or Standard, and to
     declare others as Historic.

3) Specification of metric blocks for use with the
   RTCP Extended Report (XR) framework
   - provide a mechanism allowing identification data for
     a set of related metric reports to be carried separately
     and identified in those reports by reference
   - provide report blocks for delay, delay variation, and discard
   - provide report blocks for burst/gap discard and loss
   - provide report blocks supporting rapid synchronization
     of multiple RTP streams
   - provide report blocks for jitter buffer metrics
   - provide report blocks for loss concealment metrics

4) Extensions to the core protocols to facilitate joining,
   synchronizing, control, and monitoring of RTP multimedia
   sessions
   - develop tools to support rapid acquisition of multimedia streams
   - specify necessary extensions to support rapid synchronization of 
     multiple RTP streams

Goals and Milestones:

Maintenance of the core RTP/RTCP protocols and the AVP, SAVP, AVPF,
and SAVPF profiles
Jan-10 Submit draft explaining why SRTP need not be mandatory for
media transport, for Informational
Jan-10 Policy for Registering SRTP Transforms for Proposed Standard
Feb-10 Submit Port Mapping Between Unicast and Multicast RTP Sessions
for Proposed Standard
Mar-10 Submit Guidelines for Extending the RTP Control Protocol
(RTCP) for Informational
Mar-10 Submit Monitoring Architecture for RTP for Informational
Apr-10 Submit in band keying mechanism for SRTP draft for Proposed
Standard
May-10 Submit Real-Time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP) in Overlay
Multicast for Proposed Standard
May-10 Submit Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) for RTP over UDP
for Proposed Standard
Nov-10 Encryption of Header Extensions in the Secure Real-Time
Transport Protocol (SRTP) for Proposed Standard

Specification and maintenance of payload formats for use with RTP
Jan-10 Submit RTP Payload Format for H.264 RCDO Video for Proposed
Standard
Jan-10 RTP Payload Format for GSM-HR for Proposed Standard
Jan-10 RTP Payload Format for DRA Audio for Informational
Feb-10 Submit RTP Payload Format for SVC Video for Proposed Standard
Feb-10 Submit How to Write an RTP Payload Format for Informational
Mar-10 Submit RTP Payload Format for DV (IEC 61834) Video for
Proposed Standard
Mar-10 Submit EVBR/G.718 payload draft for Proposed Standard
Mar-10 RTP Payload Format for MPEG2-TS preamble for Proposed Standard
Mar-10 RTP Payload Format for MPEG-4 Audio/Visual Streams for
Proposed Standard
Apr-10 RTP Payload Format for Enhanced Variable Rate Narrowband-
Wideband Codec (EVRC-NW) for Proposed Standard
Apr-10 RTP Payload Format for Bluetooth's SBC audio codec for
Proposed Standard
Apr-10 RTP Payload Format for the iSAC codec for Proposed Standard
Sep-10 RTP Payload Format for the CELT codec for Proposed Standard
Sep-10 RTP Payload Format for the APTX codec for Proposed Standard
Sep-10 RTP profile for the carriage of SMPTE 336M data for Proposed
Standard
Oct-10 RTP Payload Format for MVC Video for Proposed Standard
Dec-10 Submit RTP Payload Format for MIDI for Proposed Standard

Specification of metric blocks for use with the RTCP Extended Report
(XR) framework
Feb-10 Submit Multicast Acquisition Report Block Type for RTCP XR
Mar-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Measurement Identity
Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Burst/Gap Discard metric
Reporting
Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Burst/Gap Loss metric Reporting
Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Concealed Seconds metric
Reporting
Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Delay metric Reporting
Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Discard metric Reporting
Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Jitter Buffer Metric Reporting
Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Loss Concealment metric
Reporting
Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Packet Delay Variation Metric
Reporting
Apr-10 Submit Real-time Transport Control Protocol Extension Report
for Run Length Encoding of Discarded Packets
Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for QoE Metrics Reporting

Extensions to the core protocols to facilitate joining,
synchronizing, control, and monitoring of RTP multimedia
Jan-10 Submit Unicast-Based Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP
Sessions for Proposed Standard
Jan-10 Submit Rapid Synchronization of RTP Flows for Proposed Standard
Jan-10 Submit Forward-shifted RTP Redundancy Payload Support for
Proposed Standard
Apr-10 Submit Considerations for RAMS Scenarios for Informational