Subject: Document Action: 'Elliptic Curve Private Key Structure' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:49:25 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Elliptic Curve Private Key Structure '
   <draft-turner-ecprivatekey-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-turner-ecprivatekey-04.txt

Technical Summary

This document specifies the syntax and semantics for Elliptic Curve (EC)
private key information.  This syntax and semantics defined therein are
based on a similar syntax and semantics defined in Standards for
Efficient Cryptography Group (SECG).  It is profiled for the IETF as the
ECPublicKey structure from SECG is profiled for the IETF in RFC 5480.

Working Group Summary

The publication announcement for this I-D was forwarded to the PKIX WG
for comment. Reviews resulted in 3 versions.  The 1st revision replaced
the conversion routine with an existing routine from RFC 3447 (reuse is
better than reinventing), added an acknowledgments section, and updated
a reference for Base64 encodings.  The 2nd revision added an other
considerations section to discuss transfer and local storage encoding
and required the presence of parameters.

Document Quality

This text is short (4 pages) and so is the ASN.1 (5 lines).  It is based
on the SECG document whose text and ASN.1 has been stable for many
years.  OpenSSL supports the structure as defined in this document.

Personnel

Carl Wallace is the document Shepherd.  Tim Polk is the responsible AD.