Subject: RFC 5690 on Adding Acknowledgement Congestion Control to TCP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 17:47:41 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5690

        Title:      Adding Acknowledgement Congestion Control to 
                    TCP 
        Author:     S. Floyd, A. Arcia,
                    D. Ros, J. Iyengar
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      33
        Characters: 83437
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-floyd-tcpm-ackcc-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5690.txt

This document describes a possible congestion control mechanism for
acknowledgement (ACKs) traffic in TCP.  The document specifies an
end-to-end acknowledgement congestion control mechanism for TCP that
uses participation from both TCP hosts: the TCP data sender and the
TCP data receiver.  The TCP data sender detects lost or Explicit
Congestion Notification (ECN)-marked ACK packets, and tells the TCP data
receiver the ACK Ratio R to use to respond to the congestion on the reverse
path from the data receiver to the data sender.  The TCP data receiver 
sends roughly one ACK packet for every R data packets received.  This 
mechanism is based on the acknowledgement congestion control in the 
Datagram Congestion Control Protocol's (DCCP's) Congestion Control 
Identifier (CCID) 2.  This acknowledgement congestion control mechanism 
is being specified for further evaluation by the network community.  
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is 
published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC