Subject: Protocol Action: 'Multicast in MPLS/BGP IP VPNs' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:43:57 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Multicast in MPLS/BGP IP VPNs '
   <draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-10.txt

Technical Summary

   In order for IP multicast traffic within a BGP/MPLS IP VPN (Virtual
   Private Network) to travel from one VPN site to another, special
   protocols and procedures must be implemented by the VPN Service
   Provider.  These protocols and procedures are specified in this
   document (BGP-specific encodings and procedures are specified in 
   the related document draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp). 

Working Group Summary

   The L3VPN WG has been working on multicast for many years, with 
   significant difficulty coming to consensus. This document is put 
   forth with draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-bgp. Interoperability and
   default deployment modes are a concern because of the large number
   of options and features provided in each of these specifications.
   These concerns are being addressed by draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-
   considerations, which has been submitted for publication.  
   After much deliberation and consideration in the WG and among 
   relevant stake holders this is the most feasible path forward.

Document Quality

   This document has been extensively reviewed, and has been updated
   in responsse to many comments including WG and IETF last call and 
   IESG comments. Many of the options described in this document are
   implemented and widely deployed. The related document draft-ietf-
   l3vpn-mvpn-considerations is co-authored by experts from multiple
   service providers based largely on deployment experience. 

Personnel

   Danny McPherson is the Document Shepherd for this document. Ross
   Callon is is the Responsible Area Director.