Subject: RFC 5412 on Lightweight Access Point Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:46:20 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5412

        Title:      Lightweight Access Point Protocol 
        Author:     P. Calhoun, R. Suri,
                    N. Cam Winget, M. Williams,
                    S. Hares, B. O'Hara,
                    S. Kelly
        Status:     Historic
        Date:       February 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      125
        Characters: 262297
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ohara-capwap-lwapp-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5412.txt

In recent years, there has been a shift in wireless LAN (WLAN) product
architectures from autonomous access points to centralized control of
lightweight access points.  The general goal has been to move most
of the traditional wireless functionality such as access control
(user authentication and authorization), mobility, and radio
management out of the access point into a centralized controller.

The IETF's CAPWAP (Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points)
WG has identified that a standards-based protocol is necessary between
a wireless Access Controller and Wireless Termination Points (the
latter are also commonly referred to as Lightweight Access Points).
This specification defines the Lightweight Access Point Protocol
(LWAPP), which addresses the CAPWAP's (Control and Provisioning of
Wireless Access Points) protocol requirements.  Although the LWAPP
protocol is designed to be flexible enough to be used for a variety of
wireless technologies, this specific document describes the base
protocol and an extension that allows it to be used with the IEEE's
802.11 wireless LAN protocol.  This document defines a Historic Document
for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Independent Submissions stream.

HISTORIC: This memo defines a Historic Document for the Internet
community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC