Subject: RFC 5456 on IAX: Inter-Asterisk eXchange Version 2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:52:03 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5456

        Title:      IAX: Inter-Asterisk eXchange Version 2 
        Author:     M. Spencer, B. Capouch,
                    E. Guy, Ed.,
                    F. Miller, K. Shumard
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      101
        Characters: 226083
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-guy-iax-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5456.txt

This document describes IAX, the Inter-Asterisk eXchange protocol, an
application-layer control and media protocol for creating, modifying,
and terminating multimedia sessions over Internet Protocol (IP)
networks.  IAX was developed by the open source community for the
Asterisk Private Branch Exchange (PBX) and is targeted primarily at
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) call control, but it can be used
with streaming video or any other type of multimedia.

IAX is an "all in one" protocol for handling multimedia in IP
networks.  It combines both control and media services in the same
protocol.  In addition, IAX uses a single UDP data stream on a static
port greatly simplifying Network Address Translation (NAT) gateway
traversal, eliminating the need for other protocols to work around
NAT, and simplifying network and firewall management.  IAX employs a
compact encoding that decreases bandwidth usage and is well suited
for Internet telephony service.  In addition, its open nature permits
new payload type additions needed to support additional services.  
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is an Independent Submission.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC