Subject: Protocol Action: 'A SIP Event Package for Subscribing to Changes to an HTTP Resource' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 09:11:04 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A SIP Event Package for Subscribing to Changes to an HTTP Resource '
   <draft-roach-sip-http-subscribe-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roach-sip-http-subscribe-07.txt

Technical Summary

   This document defines a mechanism whereby the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP) Event Framework can be used to provide notification
   of changes to the state of resources available through the
   Hypertext Transport Protocol (HTTP).  This facilitates the
   development of applications that provide near real time updates to
   information through HTTP without frequent polling or continuously
   open transport connections.

Working Group Summary

   This is not a Working Group document - it is an individual
   submission, but has received review from participants active in the
   SIP and HTTP communities.  Based on discussion on the DISPATCH
   working group list during the summer of 2009, a consensus was
   reached that it was close enough to complete that a Working Group
   was not needed, but a separate list [1] was created to complete the
   work.

Document Quality

   There is not yet significant implementation of this protocol, but
   it has been incorporated as a key component in the SIP Forum User
   Agent Configuration Recommendation (currently in SIP Forum Last
   Call); a number of implementations of that recommendation are
   believed to be in progress.

[1]
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip-http-events/current/maillist.html

Personnel

   Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]> is the Document Shepherd.
   Alexey Melnikov is the Responsible Area Director.