Subject: WG Review: SIP Recording (SIPREC)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Real-time Applications
and Infrastructure Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.
The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing
list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, March 2, 2010.                       

SIP Recording (SIPREC)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Last Modified: 2010-02-18

Chair(s): 
 * TBD

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
 * Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
 * Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
 * Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
 * TBD

Description of Working Group:

The Session Recording Protocol (SRP) working group is chartered to
define a SIP-based protocol for controlling a session (media) recorder.

Session recording is a critical requirement in many business
communications environments such as call centers and financial trading
floors. In some of these environments, all calls must be recorded for
regulatory and compliance reasons. In others, calls may be recorded for
quality control, business analytics, or consumer protection. Recording
is typically done by sending a copy of the media to the recording
devices. The working group will determine requirements and produce a
specification for a protocol that will manage delivery of media from an
end-point that originates media, or that has access to it, to a
recording device. PBX and recording vendors today implement proprietary,
incompatible mechanisms to facilitate recording. A standard protocol
will reduce the complexity and cost of providing such recording
services.

The Session Recording problem presents certain unique requirements that
are not addressed in the current SIP protocol specification. These
include requirements such as the need for a distinction between the
session that is being recorded versus the session that has been
established for recording.

Privacy and security of conversations are significant concerns. The
working group will make sure that any protocol specified addresses these
concerns and includes mechanisms to alert users to the fact that a
session they are participating in is being recorded.

The working group must take care that the session recording requirements
and protocol does not conflict with the IETF statement on wiretapping
contained in RFC 2804.

The SRP Working Group will thoroughly identify use cases, provide
example system architectures and deployment scenarios, and define
requirements.

The scope of the activity includes:

* Recorder Control

* Session metadata content and format

* Security mechanisms, including transport and media encryption

* Privacy concerns, including end-user notification

* Negotiation of recording media streams

The group will define these issues and rationalize with IETF standards
and practices. This includes encryption, NAT traversal, SIP-enabled
firewalls, authorization, and security.

The group will produce:

* Updated Requirements, Use Cases, Architecture draft

* Specification for Session Recording Protocol

Goals and Milestones:

Apr 2010 Use Cases and Requirements to IESG as Informational Draft

Nov 2010 Architecture to IESG as Informational Draft

Nov 2010 Submit protocol draft to IESG as standards track