Subject: RFC 5746 on Transport Layer Security (TLS) Renegotiation Indication Extension

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:43:41 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5746

        Title:      Transport Layer Security (TLS) Renegotiation 
                    Indication Extension 
        Author:     E. Rescorla, M. Ray,
                    S. Dispensa, N. Oskov
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       February 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 33790
        Updates:    RFC5246, RFC4366, RFC4347, RFC4346, RFC2246

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5746.txt

Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS)
renegotiation are vulnerable to an attack in which the attacker forms
a TLS connection with the target server, injects content of his
choice, and then splices in a new TLS connection from a client.  The
server treats the client's initial TLS handshake as a renegotiation
and thus believes that the initial data transmitted by the attacker is
from the same entity as the subsequent client data.  This
specification defines a TLS extension to cryptographically tie
renegotiations to the TLS connections they are being performed over,
thus preventing this attack.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC