Subject: RFC 5684 on Unintended Consequences of NAT Deployments with Overlapping Address Space

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 17:47:29 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5684

        Title:      Unintended Consequences of NAT Deployments 
                    with Overlapping Address Space 
        Author:     P. Srisuresh, B. Ford
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      63018
        Characters: 26
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ford-behave-top-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5684.txt

This document identifies two deployment scenarios that have arisen
from the unconventional network topologies formed using Network
Address Translator (NAT) devices.  First, the simplicity of
administering networks through the combination of NAT and DHCP has
increasingly lead to the deployment of multi-level inter-connected
private networks involving overlapping private IP address spaces.
Second, the proliferation of private networks in enterprises, hotels
and conferences, and the wide-spread use of Virtual Private Networks
(VPNs) to access an enterprise intranet from remote locations has
increasingly lead to overlapping private IP address space between
remote and corporate networks.  This document does not dismiss these
unconventional scenarios as invalid, but recognizes them as real and
offers recommendations to help ensure these deployments can
function without a meltdown.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC