Subject: Glenn Kowack appointed as Transitional RFC Series Editor

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 06:25:33 -0800 (PST)

Dear Colleagues,

I am happy to announce that Glenn Kowack will be the Transitional RFC
Series Editor(RSE).

Glenn will take up his responsibilities as of March 1.  His main
responsibility [2] is that of formulating the RSE as defined in
RFC5620 in practice while critically reviewing all aspects of the
model and its implementation. Specifically, Glenn will be working with
the IAB, the RFC Series Advisory Group (RSAG, see RFC5620) as
appropriate, the IAOC, and the community to refine the definition of
the role and relationships of the RSE. This involves providing:

   (i) recommendations for changes to the RFC Series model structure, 

  (ii) recommendations for changes to the role and responsibilities of
       the RFC Series Editor, and

 (iii) recommendations to effect the acquisition of an RFC Series
       Editor.

In the cause of the next weeks Glenn will be taking over
responsibilities from Bob Braden who is acting RSE currently and will
remain available as a resource of knowledge and experience. The actual
title will pass between March 1 and April 19.

During the next few months Glenn will talk to many of us. I hope that
Glenn can count on your collaboration and frankness. Glenn will
introduce himself shortly.

With the appointment of Glenn Kowack as TRSE and the appointment of
Nevil Brownlee as Inependent Submissions Editor the four pieces of the
RFC Editor model are now in place.

The IAB would like to thank the candidates that stepped forward
between June and December last year.

The IAB also acknowledges the support of the volunteers that served on
the the Ad-hoc Advisory Committee (ACEF) and assisted the IAB in their
selection. They are: Joel Halpern (who took the responsibility for
coordinating), Bob Hinden, Joe Touch, and Jim Schaad, Craig Partridge
(who left the committee in October 2009) and Scott Bradner (who
recused in December 2009). They worked with IAB members John Klensin,
Russ Housley, and me.

The ACEF has served its purpose for this appointment cycle and has
been dismantled.

For the IAB,

Olaf Kolkman
IAB Chair.