Subject: RFC 1849 on "Son of 1036": News Article Format and Transmission

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:43:27 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 1849

        Title:      "Son of 1036": News Article 
                    Format and Transmission 
        Author:     H. Spencer
        Status:     Historic
        Date:       March 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      106
        Characters: 259422
        Obsoleted by:   RFC 5536, RFC 5537

        I-D Tag:    draft-spencer-usefor-son-of-1036-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1849.txt

By the early 1990s, it had become clear that RFC 1036, then the
specification for the Interchange of USENET Messages, was badly in
need of repair.  This "Internet-Draft-to-be", though never formally
published at that time, was widely circulated and became the de facto
standard for implementors of News Servers and User Agents, rapidly
acquiring the nickname "Son of 1036".  Indeed, under that name, it
could fairly be described as the best-known Internet Draft (n)ever
published, and it formed the starting point for the recently adopted
Proposed Standards for Netnews.

It is being published now in order to provide the historical
background out of which those standards have grown.  Present-day
implementors should be aware that it is NOT NOW APPROPRIATE for use
in current implementations.  This document defines a Historic 
Document for the Internet community.

This document is an Independent Submission.

HISTORIC: This memo defines a Historic Document for the Internet
community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC