Subject: RFC 5749 on Distribution of EAP-Based Keys for Handover and Re-Authentication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:18:29 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5749

        Title:      Distribution of EAP-Based Keys for 
                    Handover and Re-Authentication 
        Author:     K. Hoeper, Ed.,
                    M. Nakhjiri, Y. Ohba, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 27242
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-hokey-key-mgm-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5749.txt

This document describes an abstract mechanism for delivering root
keys from an Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) server to
another network server that requires the keys for offering security
protected services, such as re-authentication, to an EAP peer.  The
distributed root key can be either a usage-specific root key (USRK),
a domain-specific root key (DSRK), or a domain-specific usage-
specific root key (DSUSRK) that has been derived from an Extended
Master Session Key (EMSK) hierarchy previously established between
the EAP server and an EAP peer.  This document defines a template for
a key distribution exchange (KDE) protocol that can distribute these
different types of root keys using a AAA (Authentication,
Authorization, and Accounting) protocol and discusses its security
requirements.  The described protocol template does not specify
message formats, data encoding, or other implementation details.  It
thus needs to be instantiated with a specific protocol (e.g., RADIUS
or Diameter) before it can be used.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Handover Keying Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC