Subject: Protocol Action: 'Diameter Quality of Service Application' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 07:41:32 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Diameter Quality of Service Application '
   <draft-ietf-dime-diameter-qos-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Diameter Maintenance and Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dime-diameter-qos-15.txt

Technical Summary

    The document specifies a framework, messages and AVPs for
    performing QoS authorization operations. It defines a QoS Diameter
    application that allows network elements (QoS aware routers) to
    interact with Diameter servers to authorize QoS request. It
    has been designed to operate in both 'Push' or 'Pull' mode
    where QoS authorization state is either sent to the network
    element pro-actively (Push) or the network element directly
    request QoS authorization from the Diameter server.

    A set of commands and AVPs has been defined to support both
    operating modes. A supplemental state machine that augments
    the Diameter base protocol (RFC3588) state machine has also been
    defined to cleanly support Push mode operations. The document
    also describes QoS authorization session establishment as well
    as re-authorization. It provides examples and call flows that
    describes how QoS authorization can be used other applications
    (e.g. NSLP, SIP).

Working Group Summary

   There was consensus in the WG to publish the document.

Document Quality

    The document has been sent for review to NSIS and relevant QoS folks.

    This document defines a core component of a Network Operators QoS
    architecture and thus have gone through a long review process
    both within DIME WG and outside of it. It has also traversed
    several re-start iteration before its current acceptable state.

Personnel

   Victor Fajardo is the document shepherd for this document. Dan 
   Romascanu is the shepherding AD.