Subject: RFC 5798 on Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) Version 3 for IPv4 and IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 22:00:05 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5798

        Title:      Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) 
                    Version 3 for IPv4 and IPv6 
        Author:     S. Nadas, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Characters: 90322
        Obsoletes:  RFC3768

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5798.txt

This memo defines the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) for
IPv4 and IPv6.  It is version three (3) of the protocol, and it is
based on VRRP (version 2) for IPv4 that is defined in RFC 3768 and in
"Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol for IPv6".  VRRP specifies an election
protocol that dynamically assigns responsibility for a virtual router to one of the VRRP routers on a LAN.  The VRRP router controlling the IPv4 or 
IPv6 address(es) associated with a virtual router is called the Master, and it forwards packets sent to these IPv4 or IPv6 addresses.  VRRP Master 
routers are configured with virtual IPv4 or IPv6 addresses, and VRRP 
Backup routers infer the address family of the virtual addresses being 
carried based on the transport protocol.  Within a VRRP router, the 
virtual routers in each of the IPv4 and IPv6 address families are a 
domain unto themselves and do not overlap.  The election process provides 
dynamic failover in the forwarding responsibility should the Master become 
unavailable.  For IPv4, the advantage gained from using VRRP is a higher-
availability default path without requiring configuration of dynamic 
routing or router discovery protocols on every end-host.  For IPv6, the 
advantage gained from using VRRP for IPv6 is a quicker switchover to 
Backup routers than can be obtained with standard IPv6 Neighbor Discovery
mechanisms.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC