Subject: BCP 67, RFC 5727 on Change Process for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:18:04 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 67        
        RFC 5727

        Title:      Change Process for the Session 
                    Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Real-time 
                    Applications and Infrastructure Area 
        Author:     J. Peterson, C. Jennings,
                    R. Sparks
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       March 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 35033
        Obsoletes:  RFC3427
        Updates:    RFC3265, RFC3969
        See Also:   BCP0067

        I-D Tag:    draft-peterson-rai-rfc3427bis-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5727.txt

This memo documents a process intended to organize the future
development of the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and related work
in the Real-time Applications and Infrastructure (RAI) Area.  As the
environments in which SIP is deployed grow more numerous and diverse,
modifying or extending SIP in certain ways may threaten the
interoperability and security of the protocol; however, the IETF
process must also cater to the realities of existing deployments and
serve the needs of the implementers working with SIP.  This document
therefore defines the functions of two long-lived working groups in
the RAI Area that are, respectively, responsible for the maintenance
of the core SIP specifications and the development of new efforts to
extend and apply work in this space.  This document obsoletes RFC
3427.  This memo documents an Internet Best Current Practice.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC