Subject: Protocol Action: 'Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Protocol Extensions for Multi-Layer and Multi-Region Networks (MLN/MRN)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:13:36 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Protocol Extensions 
   for Multi-Layer and Multi-Region Networks (MLN/MRN) '
   <draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mln-extensions-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mln-extensions-12.txt

Technical Summary

   This document extends GMPLS routing and signaling to support the
   operation of GMPLS Multi-Layer/Multi-Region Networks. A network
   comprised of multiple switching types (e.g. PSC and TDM) controlled
   by a single GMPLS control plane instance is called a Multi-Region
   Network (MRN).  A network comprising transport nodes participating in
   different data plane switching layers controlled by a single GMPLS
   control plane instance is called a Multi-Layer Network (MLN). This
   document defines GMPLS RSVP, OSPF and IS-IS to cover GMPLS MLN/MRN
   requirements.

Working Group Summary

   This document received much attention and discussion in its early
   revisions.  The document has been largely stable for quite some time,
   mainly needing revisions as part of the publication process.

Document Quality

   There have been no public statements related to intent to implement, 
   but portions of the extensions are now being used as part of the GMPLS
   tool set and are (at least) expected to implemented in those contexts.

Personnel

   Lou Berger ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD

RFC Editor Note

   RFC Editor - we suggest that you treat this I-D as part of a cluster
   including the following five documents.

   draft-ietf-ccamp-ethernet-traffic-parameters
   draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-dcsc-channel-ext
   draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ether-svcs
   draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mef-uni
   draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mln-extensions
---
Section 1
s/TDM switching (TDM)/Time-Division Multiplexing Switching (TDM)/
---
Section 5.1 final paragraph
s/CALL ATTRIBUTES/CALL_ATTRIBUTES/
---
Section 5.1.5 paragraph 1
s/the Attributes Flags/the Call Attributes Flags/
---

IANA Note

   IANA - Please note that this I-D creates a registry which is
   also used by draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ether-svcs which is also
   in the pipeline