Subject: Protocol Action: 'DNS Zone Transfer Protocol (AXFR)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:32:05 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'DNS Zone Transfer Protocol (AXFR) '
   <draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-14.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the DNS Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-14.txt

Technical Summary
 
    The document provides a new and complete definition of the AXFR
    portion of the DNS protocols, as originally specified in RFCs 1034
    and 1035.  Some regard the original AXFR specification as
    underspecified, and this document attempts to rectify that by
    specifying AXFR in modern language and consistent with the way the
    interoperating AXFR mechanism exists on the Internet.
 
Working Group Summary
 
    The document has emerged from the Working Group after a long and
    somewhat controversial history.  In the past there were very
    serious challenges both to the document and to the operation of
    the Working Group due to disputes about the document.  These
    disputes find reflection in the text as it appears today.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    The document has been written with an eye to the actually existing
    deployed instances of AXFR on the Internet, while attempting to
    specify AXFR as carefully and completely as possible using modern
    protocol language (the original specification of AXFR predates RFC
    2119). 

    The document has been through years of review by the protocol
    experts in the DNS Extensions Working Group.

RFC Editor Note

Please be sure to use draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-14.txt when
preparing the RFC for this spec.