Subject: Protocol Action: 'Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) 'Typed Wildcard' Forward Equivalence Class (FEC)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:31:29 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) 'Typed Wildcard' Forward Equivalence 
   Class (FEC) '
   <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-typed-wildcard-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-typed-wildcard-07.txt

Technical Summary

   The LDP specification [RFC5036] for the Wildcard FEC element has
   several deficiencies. This document corrects those deficiencies. In
   addition, it specifies the Typed Wildcard FEC for the Prefix FEC
   Element Type defined in RFC5036.

   The RFC5036 specification of the Wildcard FEC Element has the
   following deficiencies which limit its utility:

   1) The Wildcard FEC Element is untyped. There are situations where
      it would be useful to be able to refer to all FECs of a given
      type.

   2) Use of the Wildcard FEC Element is limited to Label Withdraw and
      Label Release messages only. There are situations where it would
      be useful in Label Request messages.

   This document:

   - Addresses the above deficiencies by defining a Typed Wildcard
     FEC Element and procedures for its use.

   - Specifies use of the LDP capability mechanism [RFC5561] at
     session establishment time for informing a peer that an LDP
     speaker is capable of handling the Typed Wildcast FEC.

   - Specifies the Typed Wildcard FEC Element for the Prefix FEC
     Element specified by RFC5036.

   Note that this document does not change procedures specified for the
   LDP Wildcard FEC Element by RFC5036.

Working Group Summary

   Nothing to report.

Document Quality

   There is at least one implementation that we know of, i.e. Cisco.

Personnel

   Loa Andersson ([email-masked]) Document Shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD.