Subject: RFC 5814 on Label Switched Path (LSP) Dynamic Provisioning Performance Metrics in Generalized MPLS Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:19:14 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5814

        Title:      Label Switched Path (LSP) Dynamic 
                    Provisioning Performance Metrics in Generalized MPLS 
                    Networks 
        Author:     W. Sun, Ed.,
                    G. Zhang, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       March 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      44
        Characters: 93386
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-dppm-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5814.txt

Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) is one of the most
promising candidate technologies for a future data transmission
network.  GMPLS has been developed to control and operate different
kinds of network elements, such as conventional routers, switches,
Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) systems, Add-Drop
Multiplexers (ADMs), photonic cross-connects (PXCs), optical cross-
connects (OXCs), etc.  These physically diverse devices differ
drastically from one another in dynamic provisioning ability.  At the
same time, the need for dynamically provisioned connections is
increasing because optical networks are being deployed in metro
areas.  As different applications have varied requirements in the
provisioning performance of optical networks, it is imperative to
define standardized metrics and procedures such that the performance
of networks and application needs can be mapped to each other.

This document provides a series of performance metrics to evaluate
the dynamic Label Switched Path (LSP) provisioning performance in
GMPLS networks, specifically the dynamic LSP setup/release
performance.  These metrics can be used to characterize the features
of GMPLS networks in LSP dynamic provisioning.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC