Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

The Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp) working group in the
Routing Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group
Chairs.

Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)
--------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Last Modified: 2010-03-09

Chair(s):
 -  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
 -  Lou Berger <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
 -  Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
 -  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
 -  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Secretary(ies):
 -  Daniel King <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ccamp
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ccamp/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

Organizational Overview

The CCAMP working group coordinates the work within the IETF defining a
common control plane and a separate common measurement plane for
physical path and core tunneling technologies of Internet and telecom
service providers (ISPs and SPs), e.g. O-O and O-E-O optical switches,
TDM Switches, Ethernet Switches, ATM and Frame Relay switches, IP
encapsulation tunneling technologies, and MPLS in cooperation with the
MPLS WG.

In this context, measurement refers to the acquisition and distribution
of attributes relevant to the setting up of tunnels and paths.

CCAMP WG work scope includes:

- Definition of protocol-independent metrics and parameters (measurement
  attributes) for describing links and paths that are required for
  routing and signaling. These will be developed in conjunction with
  requests and requirements from other WGs to ensure overall usefulness.

- Definition of and extensions to protocols for link and path attribute
  measurement. This includes the Link Management Protocol (LMP).

- Functional specification of extensions for GMPLS-related routing
  (OSPF, ISIS) and signaling (RSVP-TE) protocols required for path
  establishment and maintenance. Protocol formats and procedures that
  embody these extensions will be done jointly with the WGs supervising
  those protocols.

- Definition of the mechanisms required to determine the route and
  properties of an established path (tunnel tracing).

- Definition of management objects (e.g., as part of MIB modules) and
  control of OAM techniques relevant to the protocols and extensions
  specified within the WG.

- Work on traffic-engineering GMPLS mechanisms and protocol extensions
  to support source-controlled and explicitly-routed data paths for data
  planes that are already approved by a Standards Development
  Organization (SDO). Note that the specification or modification of
  data planes is out of scope of this working group. Example data planes
  include Wavelength Switched Optical Networks (WSON), Optical Transport
  Networks (OTN), Ethernet, and the MPLS data plane.

- Work on GMPLS mechanisms and protocol extensions to support the
  transport profile of MPLS (MPLS-TP) in cooperation with the MPLS,
  L2VPN, and PWE3 Working Group and in coordination with the
  requirements expressed jointly by the IETF and ITU-T.

CCAMP WG currently works on the following tasks:

- Define how the properties of network resources gathered by a
  measurement protocol (or by other means e.g. configured) can be
  distributed in existing routing protocols, such as OSPF and
  IS-IS. CCAMP will work with the WGs that supervise these
  protocols. The specifics of distribution within IS-IS are being
  addressed in the ISIS WG. Current work activities are focused in the
  areas of WSON and OTN.

- Define signaling and routing mechanisms and extensions to allow path
  and tunnel setup and maintenance across multiple domains, where a
  domain may be an IGP area, an Autonomous System, or any other region
  of topological visibility. To this end, work cooperatively with the
  PCE and MPLS WGs.

- Define abstract link and path properties needed for link and path
  protection. Specify signaling mechanisms for path protection, diverse
  routing and fast path restoration. Ensure that multi-layer path
  protection and restoration functions are achievable using the defined
  signaling, routing, and measurement protocols, either separately or in
  combination.

- Identify signaling and routing requirements for supporting protocol
  extensions in support of data plane technologies (e.g., WSON, OTN,
  MPLS-TP, and Ethernet) and network architectures (e.g. ITU-T's
  Automatically Switched Optical Network (ASON)) not currently met by
  protocols defined in CCAMP; based on these, define mechanisms to
  address these requirements. This activity will build on documents
  produced by the WG, including Informational, Standards Track and
  Experimental documents.

- Produce extensions to the CCAMP WG protocols and RFCs necessary to
  create an MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS TP). The work on the MPLS TP
  will be coordinated between the MPLS, L2VPN, PWE3, and CCAMP working
  groups that are jointly chartered to do MPLS TP work.

In doing this work, the WG will work closely with at least the following
other WGs: MPLS, L2VPN, PWE3, ISIS, OSPF, IDR, and PCE. The WG will also
cooperate with the ITU-T and the IEEE 802.1.

Goals and Milestones:

Done    Post strawman WG goals and charter
Done    Identify and document a limited set of candidate solutions for 
        signalling and for measurement. Among candidate control 
        solutions to be considered are the existing GMPLS drafts.
Done    Build appropriate design teams
Done    Submit WG document defining path setup portions of common 
        control plane protocol
Done    Submit WG document defining common measurement plane protocol
Done    Submit LMP MIB to IESG
Done    Submit protection & restoration documents to IESG
Done    Submit ASON signaling requirements doc to IESG
Done    Submit GMPLS MIBs to IESG
Done    Produce CCAMP WG document for generic tunnel tracing protocol
Done    Produce CCAMP WG document for multi-area/AS signaling and 
        routing
Done    Submit ASON routing requirements doc to IESG
Done    Submit revised charter and milestones to IESG for IESG 
        consideration of more detailed deliverables and determination of 
        usefulness of continuation of WG
Done    First version WG I-D for Advertising TE Node Capabilities in 
        ISIS and OSPF
Done    First version WG I-D for Automatic discovery of MPLS-TE mesh 
        membership
Done    Submit ASON Routing evaluation I-D for IESG review
Done    Cross-WG review of I-D for Advertising TE Node Capabilities in 
        ISIS and OSPF
Done    First version WG I-D MPLS to GMPLS migration strategies
Done    First version WG I-D Requirements for Multi-Layer and Multi-
        Region Networks
Done    First version WG I-D for Evaluation of existing protocols for 
        MLN/MRN
Done    First version of WG I-D for ASON Routing solutions
Done    Submit RSVP-TE extensions for inter-domain signaling I-D for 
        IESG review
Done    Submit Per-domain path computation signaling I-D for IESG review
Done    First version of WG I-D for OSPF-TE/GMPLS MIB module
Done    Submit GMPLS signaling in support of Call Management I-D for 
        IESG review
Done    First version WG Informational I-D for Analysis of inter-domain 
        issues for disjoint and protected paths
Done    Submit I-D for Advertising TE Node Capabilities in ISIS and OSPF 
        for IESG review
Done    First version WG I-D for Protocol solutions for MLN/MRN
Done    Submit GMPLS/ASON lexicography I-D for IESG review
Done    First version WG I-D MPLS-GMPLS interworking requirements and 
        solutions
Done    Submit LSP Stitching I-D for IESG review
Done    Submit I-D for Automatic discovery of MPLS-TE mesh membership 
        for IESG review
Done    First version WG I-D GMPLS OAM Requirements
Done    Submit GMPLS routing and signaling interoperability advice I-D 
        for IESG review
Done    Submit MPLS to GMPLS migration strategies I-D for IESG review
Done    Submit Requirements for Multi-Layer and Multi-Region Networks 
        I-D for IESG review
Done    Submit MPLS-GMPLS interworking requirements and solutions I-D 
        for IESG review
Done    Submit Evaluation of existing protocols for MLN/MRN for IESG 
        review
Done    First version WG I-Ds for GMPLS source-controlled and 
        explicitly-routed Ethernet networks
Done    Submit Informational I-D for Analysis of inter-domain issues for 
        disjoint and protected paths for IESG review
Done    Submit Protocol solutions for MLN/MRN I-D for IESG review
Done    Submit Ethernet related drafts for IESG review
Done    Submit hierarchy bis for IESG review
Done    First version of WSON routing related Working Group drafts
Apr 2010    Submit TE MIB module IESG review
Apr 2010    Submit VCAT/LCAS with GMPLS for IESG review
Apr 2010    First versions of impairments related solutions Working
            Group drafts
Apr 2010    First version of G.709 enhancements framework Working Group
            drafts
Apr 2010    First version of Working Group draft providing Control
            Plane Framework for MPLS-TP
Apr 2010    First version of LMP Negotiation Working Group draft
May 2010    Submit Lambda labels draft for IESG review
May 2010    Submit WSON framework draft for IESG review
May 2010    Submit WSON impairment framework draft for IESG review
May 2010    Submit OAM configuration framework for IESG review
May 2010    First version of OAM configuration solutions Working
            Group drafts
Aug 2010    First version of G.709 enhancements solutions Working
            Group drafts
Aug 2010    First version of LMP for  G.709 enhancements Working
            Group drafts
Sep 2010    First version of Working Group draft defining RSVP-TE
            extensions for MPLS-TP
Dec 2010    Submit WSON routing related for IESG review
Dec 2010    Submit impairments related solutions for IESG review
Dec 2010    Submit G.709 enhancements framework for IESG review
Dec 2010    Submit Control Plane Framework for MPLS-TP for IESG review
Mar 2011    Submit RSVP-TE extensions for MPLS-TP for IESG review
Apr 2011    Submit G.709 enhancements solutions for IESG review
Apr 2011    Submit LMP Negotiation for IESG review
Apr 2011    Submit last OAM configuration solutions for IESG review
Aug 2011    Submit LMP for G.709 enhancements for IESG review
Nov 2011    Recharter or close Working Group