Subject: Protocol Action: 'vCard Extensions to WebDAV (CardDAV)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:11:31 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'vCard Extensions to WebDAV (CardDAV) '
   <draft-ietf-vcarddav-carddav-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the vCard and CardDAV Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vcarddav-carddav-10.txt

Technical Summary

  This document defines extensions to the Web Distributed Authoring and
  Versioning (WebDAV) protocol to specify a standard way of accessing,
  managing, and sharing contact information based on the vCard format.

Working Group Summary

  Early revisions of the document used vcarddav-specific action
  MKADDRESSBOOK. After some WG discussions it became clear that
  a more generic MKCOL action would be a better HTTP design.
  The document was updated accordingly.

  Also, there was a consensus call on whether support for vCard 4.0
  (the version still being worked on by the WG) should be a SHOULD.

  Apart from that, there is nothing worth noting about WG process.

Document Quality

  There are at least 4 independent client and 5 independent server
  implementations of this document. See
  <http://carddav.calconnect.org/implementations.html>

Personnel

  Alexey Melnikov is both the responsible AD and the shepherd for
  this document.