Subject: Protocol Action: 'Bidirectional Forwarding Detection' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:02:02 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Bidirectional Forwarding Detection '
   <draft-ietf-bfd-base-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bfd-base-11.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes a protocol intended to detect faults in the
   bidirectional path between two forwarding engines, including
   interfaces, data link(s), and to the extent possible the forwarding
   engines themselves, with potentially very low latency.  It operates
   independently of media, data protocols, and routing protocols (for 
   example since it is relatively simple and is independent of media 
   type it allows rapid detection of faults on media such as Ethernet 
   that don't have the same inherent fault detection at Sonet, and 
   due to independence from routing protocol one protocol can be used
   to detect link failures quickly, which allows multiple routing and
   signaling protocols to be notified of failure). 

Working Group Summary

   This working group has ran very smoothly. A couple of people have 
   noted that the documents were ready a while ago. 

   Note that some late IPR announcements were referred back to the
   WG to check that they were OK. No issues were raised.

Document Quality

   The protocol is widely implemented and deployed and has become 
   part of default deployments on the internet. The drafts reflect
   the lessons learned from the deployed and operation. Multiple
   vendors have implemented and deployed BFD in operational networks. 

   There are a few minor nits to be corrected based on Gen-Art and 
   Last Call comments. The authors would like to correct these along
   with any IESG comments received. 

Personnel

   Dave Ward is the document shepherd. 
   Adrian Farrel is the responsible Area Director.