Subject: Document Action: 'New ASN.1 Modules for PKIX' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:54:25 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'New ASN.1 Modules for PKIX '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-new-asn1-08.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-new-asn1-08.txt

Technical Summary

The X509 Certificate structure, and many associated formats, are
expressed using ASN.1.  The current ASN.1 modules conform to the 1988
version of ASN.1.  This document updates those ASN.1 modules to conform to
the 2002 version of ASN.1.  There are no bits-on-the-wire changes to any
of the formats; this is simply a change to the syntax.

Working Group Summary

This ID was discussed on the PKIX WG mailing list and at IETF 74.  All
PKIX WG Last Call issues have been resolved.  Discussion during PKIX WG
Last Call demonstrated working group consensus.  This document has PKIX WG
support.

No strong consensus was determined on the issue of which track the
document is to be published on.  This is left to the AD discretion.
 
Document Quality

This document obsoletes/updates a number of RFCs from the PKIX WG. The
quality of the draft is comparable in quality to its predecessor.

Personnel

Stefan Santesson is the document Shepherd.  Tim Polk is the responsible
Security Area AD.