Subject: Protocol Action: 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Network Time Protocol Version 4 (NTPv4)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:13:46 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Network Time Protocol Version 4 
   (NTPv4) '
   <draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-mib-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network Time Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-mib-07.txt

Technical Summary:

The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is used in networks of all types and
sizes for time synchronization of servers, workstations and other
networked equipment. As time synchronization is more and more a
mission critical service, standardized means for monitoring and
management of this subsystem of a networked host are required to allow
operators of such a service to setup a monitoring system that is
platform- and vendor-independant. This Internet draft provides a
standardized collection of data objects for monitoring the NTP entity of
such a network participant, and it is part of the NTP Version 4
standardization effort.

Working Group Summary:

The NTP working group has done extensive reviews of this document, and
it reflects the consensus of the working group.

Document Quality:

This document has been reviewed by several members of the
[email-masked] mailing list and by the NTP WG chairs.

RFC Editor Note

Add normative reference:

OLD:

   [I-D.ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto]
              Kasch, W., Mills, D., and J. Burbank, "Network Time
              Protocol Version 4 Protocol And Algorithms Specification",
              draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-13 (work in progress),
              October 2009.

   [RFC2578]  McCloghrie, K., Ed., Perkins, D., Ed., and J.
              Schoenwaelder, Ed., "Structure of Management Inform

NEW:

   [I-D.ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto]
              Kasch, W., Mills, D., and J. Burbank, "Network Time
              Protocol Version 4 Protocol And Algorithms Specification",
              draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-13 (work in progress),
              October 2009.

   [RFC2287]  Krupczak, C and J. Saperia, "Definitions of System-Level
              Managed Objects for Applications", RFC 2287, February 1998.

   [RFC2578]  McCloghrie, K., Ed., Perkins, D., Ed., and J.
              Schoenwaelder, Ed., "Structure of Management Inform

Add Acknowledgments:

OLD:

8.2.  Informative References

   [RFC3410]  Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart,
              "Introduction and Applicability Statements for Internet-
              Standard Management Framework", RFC 3410, December 2002.

Authors' Addresses

NEW:

8.2.  Informative References

   [RFC3410]  Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart,
              "Introduction and Applicability Statements for Internet-
              Standard Management Framework", RFC 3410, December 2002.

9.  Acknowledgments

Bert Wijnen provided valuable feedback as the MIB Doctor for this
document.

Authors' Addresses