Subject: RFC 5766 on Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN): Relay Extensions to Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:36:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5766

        Title:      Traversal Using Relays around NAT 
                    (TURN): Relay Extensions to Session Traversal 
                    Utilities for NAT (STUN) 
        Author:     R. Mahy, P. Matthews,
                    J. Rosenberg
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      67
        Characters: 172112
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-behave-turn-16.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5766.txt

If a host is located behind a NAT, then in certain situations it can
be impossible for that host to communicate directly with other hosts
(peers).  In these situations, it is necessary for the host to use
the services of an intermediate node that acts as a communication
relay.  This specification defines a protocol, called TURN (Traversal
Using Relays around NAT), that allows the host to control the
operation of the relay and to exchange packets with its peers using
the relay.  TURN differs from some other relay control protocols in
that it allows a client to communicate with multiple peers using a
single relay address.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC