Subject: RFC 5876 on Updates to Asserted Identity in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:51:01 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5876

        Title:      Updates to Asserted Identity in 
                    the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
        Author:     J. Elwell
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 25860
        Updates:    RFC3325

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipping-update-pai-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5876.txt

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) has a mechanism for conveying
the identity of the originator of a request by means of the
P-Asserted-Identity and P-Preferred-Identity header fields.  These
header fields are specified for use in requests using a number of SIP
methods, in particular the INVITE method.  However, RFC 3325 does not
specify the insertion of the P-Asserted-Identity header field by a
trusted User Agent Client (UAC), does not specify the use of
P-Asserted-Identity and P-Preferred-Identity header fields with
certain SIP methods such as UPDATE, REGISTER, MESSAGE, and PUBLISH,
and does not specify how to handle an unexpected number of URIs or
unexpected URI schemes in these header fields.  This document extends
RFC 3325 to cover these situations.  This document is not an Internet
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational 
purposes.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC