Subject: RFC 5853 on Requirements from Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Session Border Control (SBC) Deployments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:37:00 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5853

        Title:      Requirements from Session Initiation Protocol 
                    (SIP) Session Border Control (SBC) Deployments 
        Author:     J. Hautakorpi, Ed.,
                    G. Camarillo, R. Penfield,
                    A. Hawrylyshen, M. Bhatia
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 60476
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipping-sbc-funcs-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5853.txt

This document describes functions implemented in Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP) intermediaries known as Session Border Controllers
(SBCs).  The goal of this document is to describe the commonly
provided functions of SBCs.  A special focus is given to those
practices that are viewed to be in conflict with SIP architectural
principles.  This document also explores the underlying requirements
of network operators that have led to the use of these functions and
practices in order to identify protocol requirements and determine
whether those requirements are satisfied by existing specifications
or if additional standards work is required.  This document is not 
an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for 
informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC