Subject: Protocol Action: 'IP Mobility Support for IPv4, revised' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:17:07 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IP Mobility Support for IPv4, revised '
   <draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobility for IPv4 Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-10.txt

Technical Summary

   This document is a revision of RFC3344, and makes changes in the
   following areas:

   * A new error reply code was added for the case when a Foreign
     Agent detects an invalid Home Agent address in a Registration 
     Request.

   * Language was changed to allow more than one authorization enabling
     extensions in a Registration Request (RFC3344 says "Exactly one").

   * Clarified that the Foreign-Home Authentication Extension MUST NOT
     apply to de-registration messages.

   * Added language to clarify that security associations can be
     established dynamically.

   * Added language to clarify that Authentication Extensions may be
     checked by an entity other than a Mobility Agent, such as a AAA
     server.

   * Clarified that the Care-of address offered by the Foreign Agent
     must also be the Source IP address of a relayed Registration
     Request.

   * Clarified that the Foreign Agent MUST use the NAI extension to
     distinguish among multiple overlapping Home Addresses from
     different Mobile Nodes.

   * Clarified processing by the Home Agent when it receives a 
     Registration Request with an invalid authentication extension.

Working Group Summary

   This is a product of the MIP4 WG.

   The working group had some contentious issues but the 
   discussions and subsequent resolutions have satisfied all
   parties.

Document Quality

   Mobile IPv4 is widely implemented and deployed, especially in
   cdma2000 networks.  This update was influenced heavily by these
   deployments, especially the allowed inclusion of multiple 
   authorization-enabling extensions that allow Mobile IP to be
   deployed with a AAA back-end.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd is Pete McCann and the responsible Area
   Director is Jari Arkko.