Subject: Document Action: 'RSVP Proxy Approaches' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:35:49 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RSVP Proxy Approaches '
   <draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-proxy-approaches-09.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-proxy-approaches-09.txt

Technical Summary
                RSVP signaling can be used to make end-to-end resource 
                reservations in an IP network in order to guarantee the 
                QoS required by certain flows.  With conventional RSVP, 
                both the data sender and receiver of a given flow take 
                part in RSVP signaling.  Yet, there are many use cases 
                where resource reservation is required, but the 
                receiver, the sender, or both, is not RSVP-capable.  
                Where the receiver is not RSVP-capable, an RSVP router 
                may behave as an RSVP Receiver Proxy thereby performing 
                RSVP signaling on behalf of the receiver.  This allows 
                resource reservations to be established on the segment 
                of the end-to-end path from the sender to the RSVP 
                Receiver Proxy.
                
                The Proto document defines the RSVP extensions that are 
                needed to facilitate operations with an RSVP Receiver 
                Proxy whose signaling is triggered by receipt of RSVP 
                Path messages from the sender.  

Working Group Summary
             The consensus for the publication was strong but from a 
             small group within the WG.

Document Quality
             The shepherd doesn't know of any implementations. The 
             documents could have benefited from wider review.

Personnel
             WG Shepherd and responsible AD is Magnus Westerlund.