Subject: RFC 5770 on Basic Host Identity Protocol (HIP) Extensions for Traversal of Network Address Translators

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:00:26 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5770

        Title:      Basic Host Identity Protocol (HIP) 
                    Extensions for Traversal of Network Address 
                    Translators 
        Author:     M. Komu, T. Henderson,
                    H. Tschofenig, J. Melen,
                    A. Keranen, Ed.
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 79767
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-hip-nat-traversal-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5770.txt

This document specifies extensions to the Host Identity Protocol
(HIP) to facilitate Network Address Translator (NAT) traversal.  The
extensions are based on the use of the Interactive Connectivity
Establishment (ICE) methodology to discover a working path between
two end-hosts, and on standard techniques for encapsulating
Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) packets within the User Datagram
Protocol (UDP).  This document also defines elements of a procedure
for NAT traversal, including the optional use of a HIP relay server.
With these extensions HIP is able to work in environments that have
NATs and provides a generic NAT traversal solution to higher-layer
networking applications.  This document defines an Experimental 
Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC