Subject: Document Action: 'NAT/Firewall NSIS Signaling Layer Protocol (NSLP)' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 07:37:31 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'NAT/Firewall NSIS Signaling Layer Protocol (NSLP) '
   <draft-ietf-nsis-nslp-natfw-25.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Next Steps in Signaling Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-nslp-natfw-25.txt

Technical Summary
 
The draft defines the NSIS Signaling Layer Protocol (NSLP) for
Network Address Translators (NATs) and firewalls.  This NSLP allows
hosts to signal on the data path for NATs and firewalls to be
configured according to the needs of the application data flows. For
instance, it enables hosts behind NATs to obtain a public reachable
address and hosts behind firewalls to receive data traffic.  The
overall architecture is given by the framework and requirements
defined by the Next Steps in Signaling (NSIS) working group.  The
network scenarios, the protocol itself, and examples for path-coupled
signaling are given in this memo.
 
Working Group Summary
 
There have been several WGLC on the document, plus several
pre-WGLCs on the document. The editors have gotten extensive
feedback from implementors and have clarified text based upon
the feedback.  

Protocol Quality
 
There are 3 or more independent implementations of the NSLP,
and there were multiple interop events in the past. 

Personnel

The document shepherd is Jukka Manner ([email-masked]).
Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed the document
for the IESG.