Subject: RFC 5837 on Extending ICMP for Interface and Next-Hop Identification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:57:20 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5837

        Title:      Extending ICMP for Interface and 
                    Next-Hop Identification 
        Author:     A. Atlas, Ed.,
                    R. Bonica, Ed.,
                    C. Pignataro, Ed.,
                    N. Shen, JR. Rivers
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 38109
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5837.txt

This memo defines a data structure that can be appended to selected
ICMP messages.  The ICMP extension defined herein can be used to
identify any combination of the following: the IP interface upon
which a datagram arrived, the sub-IP component of an IP interface
upon which a datagram arrived, the IP interface through which the
datagram would have been forwarded had it been forwardable, and the
IP next hop to which the datagram would have been forwarded.

Devices can use this ICMP extension to identify interfaces and their
components by any combination of the following: ifIndex, IPv4
address, IPv6 address, name, and MTU.  ICMP-aware devices can use
these extensions to identify both numbered and unnumbered interfaces.  
[STANDARDS TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC