Subject: Protocol Action: 'Essential correction for IPv6 ABNF and URI comparison in RFC3261' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 11:50:26 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Essential correction for IPv6 ABNF and URI comparison in RFC3261 '
   <draft-ietf-sip-ipv6-abnf-fix-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-ipv6-abnf-fix-05.txt

Technical Summary

   This memo corrects the Augmented Backus-Naur Form (ABNF) production
   rule associated with generating IPv6 literals in RFC3261.  It also
   clarifies the rule for Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) comparison
   when the URIs contain textual representation of IP addresses.

Working Group Summary

   This document had consensus in the SIP Working group. 

Document Quality

   This document received a high level of review and implementation.

Personnel

  Robert Sparks is the responsible area director

RFC Editor Note

  In Section 5. Security Considerations
  OLD:
    This document does not introduce any new security considerations.
  NEW:
    This document does not introduce any new security considerations 
    beyond those described in [1].

  In section 3.1:
  OLD:
    Accordingly, this document updates RFC3261 as follows:  the
    <IPv6address> and <IPv4address> production rules MUST be deleted from
    RFC3261 and MUST be replaced with the production rules of the same
    name in RFC3986 (and reproduced above.)  These changes, when made to
    RFC3261, will make <hexpart>, <hexseq>, and <hex4> production rules
    obsolete.  Thus this document also mandates that the <hexpart>,
    <hexseq>, and <hex4> production rules MUST be deleted from the ABNF
    of RFC3261.
  
  NEW:
    Accordingly, this document updates RFC3261 as follows:  the
    <IPv6address> and <IPv4address> production rules from RFC3261
    MUST NOT be used and instead, the production rules of the same
    name in RFC3986 (and reproduced above) MUST be used.  This
    will render <hexpart>, <hexseq> and <hex4> production rules
    in RFC3261 obsolete; as such, these three production rules
    --- namely, <hexpart>, <hexseq> and <hex4> --- from RFC3261
    MUST NOT be used.

       The use of the <IPv4address>  production rule from
       RFC3986 no longer allows syntactically valid --- though
       semantically invalid --- SIP URIs of the form
       "sip:[email-masked]".