Subject: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 18:07:40 -0400

The IESG is considering the following Statement on the Day Pass
Experiment.  The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks on
a policy statement, and the IESG actively solicits comments on this
action.  Please send substantive comments to the [email-masked] mailing
lists by 2010-05-20. Exceptionally, comments may be sent to
[email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

= = = = = = = =

RFC 3777 requires that voting members of the nominating committee
(NomCom) be selected from volunteers that have attended at least three
of the last five IETF meetings.  The IAOC is conducting a day pass
experiment, making it necessary to augment the NomCom eligibility rules
to address IETF participants that make use of a day pass.  An update to
RFC 3777 to will be needed to address this situation if at the end of
the experiment the IAOC decides to make day passes a regular meeting
registration alternative; however, a BCP update for an experiment is
overkill.

The IESG observes that attending a single day of the IETF meeting is not
sufficient for a new participant to learn the culture of the IETF or the
qualities that would make an effective IETF leader.  Further, ongoing
exposure to the IETF standards process is necessary to appreciate the
significance and importance of cross-area review.

The eligibility requirements of volunteers for NomCom voting member
positions are provided in RFC 3777, which includes:

   14. Members of the IETF community must have attended at least 3 of
       the last 5 IETF meetings in order to volunteer.

In the context of the day pass experiment, this is interpreted to mean:

   14. IETF participants must have attended at least 3 of the last 5
       IETF meetings in order to volunteer, and that use of a day pass
       does not count as IETF meeting attendance.

---

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 15:48:33 -0400

This is an update to the Last Call that is currently in progress.

The IESG is considering the following Statement on the Day Pass
Experiment.  The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks on
this statement, and the IESG actively solicits comments on this
statement.  Please send substantive comments to the [email-masked]
mailing lists by 2010-05-20. Exceptionally, comments may be sent to
[email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

So far, only one person has registered for the IETF 78 meeting with a
day pass, and that person has not paid yet.

= = = = = = = =

RFC 3777 requires that voting members of the nominating committee
(NomCom) be selected from volunteers that have attended at least three
of the last five IETF meetings.  The IAOC is conducting a day pass
experiment, making it necessary to clarify the NomCom eligibility rules
to address IETF participants that make use of a day pass.  An update to
RFC 3777 will be needed to address this situation if at the end of the
experiment the IAOC decides to make day passes a regular meeting
registration alternative.  This statement provides guidance until an
update to RFC 3777 is proposed, reviewed, and approved.

   14. IETF participants must have attended at least 3 of the last 5
       IETF meetings in order to volunteer.  Use of a day pass for
       meetings prior to April 2010 counts as IETF meeting attendance;
       however, use of a day pass for meetings after to April 2010 will
       not count as IETF meeting attendance.