Subject: RFC 5839 on An Extension to Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Events for Conditional Event Notification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 17:53:40 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5839

        Title:      An Extension to Session Initiation 
                    Protocol (SIP) Events for Conditional Event 
                    Notification 
        Author:     A. Niemi, D. Willis, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 52999
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipcore-subnot-etags-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5839.txt

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) events framework enables
receiving asynchronous notification of various events from other SIP
user agents.  This framework defines the procedures for creating,
refreshing, and terminating subscriptions, as well as fetching and
periodic polling of resource state.  These procedures provide no
tools to avoid replaying event notifications that have already been
received by a user agent.  This memo defines an extension to SIP
events that allows the subscriber to condition the subscription
request to whether the state has changed since the previous
notification was received.  When such a condition is true, either the
body of a resulting event notification or the entire notification
message is suppressed.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC