Subject: Protocol Action: 'IPv6 Subnet Model: the Relationship between Links and Subnet Prefixes' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 07:59:43 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPv6 Subnet Model: the Relationship between Links and Subnet Prefixes '
   <draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-12.txt

Technical Summary

   IPv6 specifies a model of a subnet that is different than the IPv4
   subnet model.  The subtlety of the differences has resulted in
   incorrect implementations that do not interoperate.  This document
   spells out the most important difference; that an IPv6 address isn't
   automatically associated with an IPv6 on-link prefix.  This document
   also updates (partially due to security concerns caused by incorrect
   implementations) a part of the definition of on-link from [RFC4861].

Working Group Summary

   This document represents the consensus of the 6MAN Working Group.
   
Document Quality

   This document has been reviewed by members of the 6MAN Working Group.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd is Brian Haberman. Responsible Area Director
   is Jari Arkko.