Subject: RFC 5851 on Framework and Requirements for an Access Node Control Mechanism in Broadband Multi-Service Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 17:52:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5851

        Title:      Framework and Requirements for an 
                    Access Node Control Mechanism in Broadband 
                    Multi-Service Networks 
        Author:     S. Ooghe, N. Voigt,
                    M. Platnic, T. Haag,
                    S. Wadhwa
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      47
        Characters: 116214
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ancp-framework-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5851.txt

The purpose of this document is to define a framework for an Access
Node Control Mechanism between a Network Access Server (NAS) and an
Access Node (e.g., a Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer
(DSLAM)) in a multi-service reference architecture in order to
perform operations related to service, quality of service, and
subscribers.  The Access Node Control Mechanism will ensure that the
transmission of the information does not need to go through distinct
element managers but rather uses a direct device-device
communication.  This allows for performing access-link-related
operations within those network elements, while avoiding impact on
the existing Operational Support Systems.

This document first identifies a number of use cases for which the
Access Node Control Mechanism may be appropriate.  It then presents
the requirements for the Access Node Control Protocol (ANCP) that
must be taken into account during protocol design.  Finally, it
describes requirements for the network elements that need to support
ANCP and the described use cases.  These requirements should be seen
as guidelines rather than as absolute requirements.  RFC 2119
therefore does not apply to the nodal requirements.  This document 
is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published 
for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Access Node Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC