Subject: Proposed IAOC Administrative Procedures

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 10:15:49 -0700 (PDT)

All;

The IAOC is considering the adoption of IAOC Administrative Procedures
and seeks your comments before adoption.  These procedures address such
matters as quorums, voting, election and removal of the chair,
compensation and expenses, and recusal.  

The proposed procedures are set out below to facilitate your review and
comment.

Thanks

Ray
IETF Administrative Director

IAOC Administrative Procedures 5-27-10

1.	The IAOC shall hold at least ten meetings each calendar year, as face
to face meetings, as teleconferences at which all participants can speak
and hear each other, or as a combination. 

	a.  Notice of the place and time of each regular meeting of the IAOC
shall be provided to each member by email at least ten days before the
date of the meeting.

	b.  Special meetings of the IAOC may be called at any time by the Chair,
or by a majority of the members of the IAOC then in office.  Special
meetings shall be held at such place or places as may be designated in the
notice for the meeting.

2.	The IAOC shall select one member to serve as the Chair.  
	a. Members eligible to serve as Chair are the NomCom, IESG and IAB
appointees to the IAOC, which does not include the IETF and IAB Chairs.

	b. The term of the Chair shall be one year from the time of selection or
the 	remaining time of his or her tenure, whichever is less.  An
individual may serve any number of terms as Chair, if selected by the IAOC
members.

	c. The Chair serves at the pleasure of the IAOC and may be removed from
that position at any time by a two-thirds vote of the IAOC, not counting
the IAOC chair, at a meeting or Special Meeting at which such action was
in the notice of the meeting.

	d. The Chair shall (i) have the authority to manage the activities of
the IAOC and (ii) convene and preside over meetings of the IAOC, but shall
have no other powers or authority beyond his or her powers as an IAOC
member.   If the Chair is not available, then any other voting member may
convene or preside over meetings of the IAOC in the  absence of the Chair.

3.  A quorum for a meeting of the IAOC shall be a majority of the IAOC
then in office.  All decisions of the members must be approved by majority
vote of the members then in office. 

		a.  Except for removal of the Chair, any action of the IAOC may be
taken by e-vote upon the request of the Chair, or by consensus of the
members.  

		b.  Actions of the IAOC, whether taken at a meeting or by e-vote, shall
be duly recorded in minutes and retained in the IAOC's records.

4.	The IAOC shall from time to time appoint a Secretary, who shall record
and publish minutes of the meetings.

5.	The IAOC shall from time to time appoint a Legal Counsel to the IAOC.

6.	The IETF Administrative Director is authorized to execute decisions of
the IAOC on behalf of the IAOC.

7.	The IAOC voting members shall not receive any compensation for their
services as IAOC members from the IASA, ISOC, or IETF.   Expenses for
voting members of the IAOC may be reimbursed upon approval of the IAOC
Chair, or by a consensus of the IAOC, for exceptional cases only.

8.	The IAOC shall be guided by RFC 4071, as amended and supplemented.  

9.	Members shall at all times act in a disinterested manner and consider
only the benefit to the IETF standards process and community as a whole in
discussions and decisions. The Members shall promptly disclose any
material conflict of interest and recuse themselves from related
decisions. 

10.	 These procedures may be amended by a motion passed by a meeting of
the IAOC. Substantive amendments will be posted in advance for a two week
period for comments from the IETF community.