Subject: Protocol Action: 'Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Encrypted Key Package Content Type' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 11:06:51 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Encrypted Key Package Content Type '
   <draft-turner-encryptedkeypackagecontenttype-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-turner-encryptedkeypackagecontenttype-02.txt

Technical Summary

This document specifies a content type for encrypted key packages.  It
is a choice of: EnvelopedData, EncryptedData, or AuthEnvelopedData.  The
rationale for it's use is based on the CMS content constraints
documented in draft-housley-cms-content-constraints-extn.  This document
also defines an attribute that provides a hint as to which key should be
used to decrypt the content when the EncryptedData choice is used.

The specification includes two normative references to I-Ds that will be
published as Informational RFCs (they are currently in the RFC Editor
Queue):
draft-ietf-pkix-new-asn1; draft-ietf-smime-new-asn1.  Both have been
added to the downref registry.

Working Group Summary

This document is not the product of an IETF Working Group.

Document Quality

The document is short, but provides enough background to explain why why
the content type is needed.

Personnel

Carl Wallace is the document Shepherd.  Tim Polk is the
responsible Security Area AD.

RFC Editor Note

In section 5, please make the following substitution

OLD:

   All OIDs are registered in an arc delegated by IANA to the SMIME
Working Group.

NEW:

   All OIDs are registered in an arc delegated by RSADSI to the SMIME
Working Group.