Subject: IESG Statement on NomCom Eligibility and Day Passes

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 10:53:38 -0700 (PDT)

RFC 3777 requires that voting members of the nominating committee
(NomCom) be selected from volunteers that have attended at least three
of the last five IETF meetings. The IAOC is conducting a day pass
experiment, making it necessary to clarify the NomCom eligibility rules
to address IETF participants that make use of a day pass. An update to
RFC 3777 will be needed to address this situation if at the end of the
experiment the IAOC decides to make day passes a regular meeting
registration alternative. This statement provides guidance until an
update to RFC 3777 is proposed, reviewed, and approved.

The eligibility requirements of volunteers for NomCom voting member
positions are provided in RFC 3777, which includes:

14. Members of the IETF community must have attended at least 3 of
the last 5 IETF meetings in order to volunteer.

In the context of the day pass experiment, this is interpreted to mean:

14. IETF participants must have attended at least 3 of the last 5
IETF meetings in order to volunteer. Use of a day pass for
meetings prior to April 2010 counts as IETF meeting attendance;
however, use of a day pass for meetings after to April 2010 will
not count as IETF meeting attendance.