Subject: Document Action: 'Guidelines for Extending the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 10:24:56 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Guidelines for Extending the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-guidelines-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-guidelines-04.txt

Technical Summary
  The RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) is used along with the Real-time
  Transport Protocol (RTP) to provide a control channel between media
  senders and receivers. This allows constructing a feedback loop to
  enable application adaptation and monitoring, among other uses. The
  basic reporting mechanisms offered by RTCP are generic, yet quite
  powerful and suffice to cover a range of uses. This document
  provides guidelines on extending RTCP if those basic mechanisms prove
  insufficient.
 
Working Group Summary
  There is nothing specific to note.

Document Quality
  This document does not define a protocol but provides informational
  guidelines on extending RTCP. The document received a high level of
  working group review.

Personnel
  Roni Even is the document shepherd.
  The responsible area director is Robert Sparks.