Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet Key Exchange Protocol: IKEv2' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:17:45 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Internet Key Exchange Protocol: IKEv2 '
   <draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2bis-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Sean Turner and Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2bis-11.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes version 2 of the Internet Key Exchange (IKE)
   protocol.  IKE is a component of IPsec used for performing mutual
   authentication and establishing and maintaining security associations
   (SAs).  This document replaces and updates RFC 4306, and includes all
   of the clarifications from RFC 4718.

Working Group Summary

   This document is the product of the IPSECME WG.  There were no
   notable issues with the WG process. There were the usual heated
   discussions, one of which had to be resolved by a design
   team. But, the eventual result has a wide consensus. 

Document Quality

   There are multiple implementations of the IKEv2 protocol. Since
   this document essentially clarifies the protocol (with only a tiny
   amount of actual protocol changes), we expect all IPsec
   vendors to ensure that their implementation is in line with this
   document.

Personnel

   Yaron Sheffer ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
   Sean Turner ([email-masked]) is the Responsible Area Director.
   The IANA Expert(s) for the registries
   in this document is Tero Kivinen ([email-masked]).