Subject: Protocol Action: 'Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes in XML Schema Definition Language' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 07:41:10 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Expressing SNMP SMI Datatypes in XML Schema Definition Language '
   <draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-opsawg-smi-datatypes-in-xsd-06.txt

Technical Summary

   This memo defines the IETF standard expression of Structure of
   Management Information (SMI) base datatypes in Extensible Markup
   Language (XML) Schema Definition (XSD) language.  The primary
   objective of this memo is to enable the production of XML documents
   that are as faithful to the SMI as possible, using XSD as the
   validation mechanism.

Working Group Summary

 The WG reviewed and discussed this ID & it was updated a number of 
 times before reaching consensus for submission to the IESG.

Document Quality

  Parts of the schema have been implemented and multiple vendors are   
  expected to fully implement it after it is published as a RFC.

Personnel

   Scott Bradner is the Document Shepherd for this document? Dan 
   Romascanu is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

RFC Editor, please make the following changes: 

1. In Section 1: 

OLD: 

   Values in varbinds corresponding to MIB objects defined with TC
   syntax are always encoded as the base SMI datatype underlying the TC
   syntax.  Thus, the XSD mappings defined in this memo provide support
   for values of MIB objects defined with TC syntax as well as for
   values of MIB objects defined with base SMI syntax.

NEW: 

   Values in varbinds corresponding to MIB objects defined with TC
   syntax are always encoded as the base SMI datatype underlying the TC
   syntax.  Thus, the XSD mappings defined in this memo provide support
   for values of MIB objects defined with TC syntax as well as for
   values of MIB objects defined with base SMI syntax. Using the 
   translation of TC into base SMI datatypes any MIB module that uses 
   TCs can be mapped into XSD using the mappings defined in this memo. 
   For example for IP addresses (both IPv4 and IPv6) the  mapping of the
   InetAddress TC (as per [RFC4001]) shall be used rather than the 
   mapping of the IpAddress base datatype.  

2. Add [RFC4001] as and Informative Reference. 

3. In Section 6: 

OLD: 

 Security considerations for any given SMI MIB module are likely to be
   relevant to any XSD/XML mapping of that MIB module;

NEW: 

 Security considerations for any given SMI MIB module will be
   relevant to any XSD/XML mapping of that MIB module;

4. In Section 4:

OLD:

 <xs:simpleType name="IpAddress">
      <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
         <xs:pattern value=
         "((0|(1[0-9]{0,2})|
           (2(([0-4][0-9]?)|(5[0-5]?)|([6-9]?)))|
          ([3-9][0-9]?))\.){3}
          (0|(1[0-9]{0,2})|
           (2(([0-4][0-9]?)|(5[0-5]?)|([6-9]?)))|
           ([3-9][0-9]?))"/>
     </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

NEW:

<xs:simpleType name="IpAddress">
     <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
         <xs:pattern value=
         "(([0-9]|[1-9][0-9]|1[0-9][0-9]|2[0-4][0-9]|25[0-5])\.){3}
            ([0-9]|[1-9][0-9]|1[0-9][0-9]|2[0-4][0-9]|25[0-5])"/>
     </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>