Subject: Nomcom 2010-11: Call for Volunteers

From: NomCom Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:47:08 -0700 (PDT)

The IETF nominating committee process for 2010-11 has begun. The IETF
nominating committee appoints folks to fill the open slots on the IAOC,
the IAB, and the IESG. The 10 nominating committee members are selected
randomly from a pool of volunteers. The more volunteers, the better chance
we have of choosing a random yet representative cross section of the IETF
population.  The details of the operation of the nomcom can be found in
RFC 3777.  
 
Volunteers must have attended 3 of the past 5 IETF meetings - per RFC
3777, that is 3 of the past 5 meetings as of the time this announcement
goes out to start the solicitation. If you qualify, and are willing to
forgo appointment to any of the positions for which the nominating
committee is responsible, please volunteer. 
 
The list of people and posts whose terms end with the March 2011 IETF
meeting, and thus the positions for which the nominating committee is
responsible, are as follows:
 
IAOC:
     Henk Uijterwaal

IAB: 
     Marcelo Bagnulo
     Vijay Gill
     John Klensin
     Danny McPherson
     Jon Peterson
     Dave Thaler
 
IESG:
     IETF Chair / GEN AD (currently held by Russ Housley)
     APP AD (currently held by Alexey Melnikov)
     INT AD (currently held by Ralph Droms)
     OPS AD (currently held by Ron Bonica)
     RAI AD (currently held by Robert Sparks)
     RTG AD (currently held by Adrian Farrel)
     SEC AD (currently held by Tim Polk)
     TSV AD (currently held by Lars Eggert)

The primary activity for this nomcom will begin just prior to IETF-78 in
Maastricht and should be completed in early January 2011.  The nomcom will
be collecting requirements from the community, as well as talking to
nominees and to community members about nominees. There will be weekly
conference calls to ensure progress. Thus, being a nomcom member does
require some time commitment. 
 
Please volunteer by sending an email before 17:00 PDT (24:00 UTC) July 8,
2010 as
follows:
 
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Nomcom 2010-11 Volunteer
 
Please include the following information in the body:
 
<Your Full Name>  // As you enter in the IETF Registration Form,
                  // First/Given name followed by Last/Family Name
<Current Primary Affiliation>
                  // typically what goes in the Company field
                  // in the IETF Registration Form
[<all email addresses used to Register for the past 5 IETF meetings>]
<Preferred email address>  //
<Telephone number>         // For confirmation if selected
 
Please expect an email response from me within 3 days stating whether
or not you are qualified.  If you don't receive a response, please re-send
your email with the tag "Duplicate:" added to the subject line.
 
If you are not yet sure you would like to volunteer, please consider that
nomcom members play a very important role in shaping the leadership of the
IETF.  Ensuring the leadership of the IETF is fair and balanced and
comprised of those who can lead the IETF in the right direction is an
important responsibility that rests on the IETF participants at large. 
Volunteering for the nomcom is a good way of contributing in that
direction.
 
I will be publishing a more detailed target timetable, as well as details
of the randomness seeds to be used for the RFC 3797 selection process
within the next couple weeks.
 
Thank you and I hope to hear from you,

Thomas Walsh
Chair, Nomcom 2010-11
Email: [email-masked] 
[email-masked]