Subject: RFC 5897 on Identification of Communications Services in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:24:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5897

        Title:      Identification of Communications Services in 
                    the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
        Author:     J. Rosenberg
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 60349
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipping-service-identification-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5897.txt

This document considers the problem of service identification in the
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP).  Service identification is the
process of determining the user-level use case that is driving the
signaling being utilized by the user agent (UA).  This document
discusses the uses of service identification, and outlines several
architectural principles behind the process.  It identifies perils
when service identification is not done properly -- including fraud,
interoperability failures, and stifling of innovation.  It then
outlines a set of recommended practices for service identification.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC