Subject: Document Action: 'The application/pkcs10 Media Type' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:37:02 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The application/pkcs10 Media Type '
   <draft-turner-application-pkcs10-media-type-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-turner-application-pkcs10-media-type-05.txt

Technical Summary

This document allows the IANA registration to point to an active
document. The application/pkcs10 media type was originally part of
S/MIMEv2 [RFC2311], which was not the product of an IETF WG, along with
application/pkcs7-mime and application/pkcs7-signature. When the SMIME
WG produced S/MIMEv3 [RFC2633], it did not include the
application/pkcs10 text and unfortunately when PKCS#10 was published as
RFC 2986 the application/pkcs10 text was not incorporated there .
Recently, S/MIMEv3.2 was published and S/MIMEv2 was moved to historic.
This means that the IANA registration no longer points to an active
document. This document fills that role with text for
application/pkcs10 adapted from RFC 2311 and an IANA registration
request for application/pkcs10.

Working Group Summary

This document is not the product of an IETF Working Group.

Document Quality

The text for formation of the application/pkcs10 media type is adapted
from RFC 2311. Only minor changes were made, as can be seen in the
diffs between version -00 and -01.

Personnel

Russ Housley is the document Shepherd. Tim Polk is the
responsible Security Area AD.

RFC Editor Note

In Section 2.1, please make the following substitution:

OLD:

When the media type application/pkcs10 is used, the body MUST be a 
CertificationRequest, encoded using the Basic Encoding Rules (BER) 
[X.690].

Although BER is specified, instead of the more restrictive 
Distinguished Encoding Rules (DER) [X.690], a typical application will 
use DER since the CertificationRequest's CertificationRequestInfo has 
to be DER-encoded in order to be signed.

A robust application SHOULD output DER, but allow BER or DER on input.

NEW:

When the media type application/pkcs10 is used, the body MUST be a 
CertificationRequest.

A robust application SHOULD output DER, but allow BER or DER on input.