Subject: CORRECTED Document Action: 'IPFIX Mediation: Problem Statement'

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 07:45:36 -0700 (PDT)

to Informational RFC

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPFIX Mediation: Problem Statement '
   <draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement-09.txt> as an
Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IP Flow Information Export Working
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement-09.txt

Technical Summary

   Flow-based measurement is a popular method for various network
   monitoring usages.  The sharing of flow-based information for
   monitoring applications having different requirements raises some
   open issues in terms of measurement system scalability, flow-based
   measurement flexibility, and export reliability that IPFIX Mediation
   may help resolve.  This document describes some problems related to
   flow-based measurement that network administrators have been facing,
   and then describes IPFIX Mediation applicability examples along with
   the problems.

Working Group Summary

Flow-based measurement is a popular method for various network
monitoring usages. The sharing of flow-based information for
monitoring applications having different requirements raises some
open issues in terms of measurement system scalability, flow-based
measurement flexibility, and export reliability that IPFIX Mediation
may help resolve. This document describes some problems related to
flow-based measurement that network administrators have been facing,
and then describes IPFIX Mediation applicability examples along with
the problems. The WG reached consensus for publication. 

Document Quality

The document underwent two WG last calls in the IPFIX WG.

Personnel

Juergen Quittek is shepherding this document. Dan Romascanu is the
responsible Area director.