Subject: Protocol Action: 'Additional CMS Revocation Information Choices' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:37:56 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Additional CMS Revocation Information Choices '
   <draft-turner-additional-cms-ri-choices-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-turner-additional-cms-ri-choices-06.txt

Technical Summary

The Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) allows revocation information to be
conveyed as part of the SignedData, EnvelopedData, AuthenticatedData, and
AuthEnvelopedData content types.  The preferred format for revocation
information is the Certificate Revocation List (CRL), but an extension
mechanism supports other revocation information choices.  This document
defines two additional revocation information formats for Online
Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) responses and Server-Based Certificate
Validation Protocol (SCVP).

Working Group Summary

This I-D was forwarded to the S/MIME WG, but there was not enough
interest to support adopting it as a WG item.  Nevertheless, there were a
few key members who provided comments off-list on the I-D.

The discussions on the draft centered on the handling of unsigned SCVP
mechanism; there was no controversy w.r.t. the OCSP mechanism.  The
changes to SCVP mechanism include allowing the request to be optionally
included, requiring that the SCVP response be signed, and bolstering the
security considerations.

Document Quality

This I-D is short at 8 pages (2 pages of technical content).  There are
no known implementations at this time.

Personnel

Carl Wallace is the document Shepherd.  Tim Polk is the responsible
Security Area AD.

RFC Editor Note

In section 6, please make the following substitution:

OLD

   This document makes use of object identifiers.  These object 
   identifiers are defined in an arc delegated by IANA to the PKIX 
   Working Group.  No further action by IANA is necessary for this 
   document or any anticipated updates. 

NEW

   This document makes use of object identifiers.  These
   object identifiers are defined in an arc delegated by
   IANA to the PKIX Working Group.  The current contents
   of the arc are located here:

      http://www.imc.org/ietf-pkix/pkix-oid.asn

   They were obtained by sending a request to
   [email-masked].  When the PKIX WG closes,
   this arc and registration procedures will be transferred
   to IANA. No further action by IANA is necessary for this
   document or any anticipated updates.