Subject: RFC 5884 on Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) for MPLS Label Switched Paths (LSPs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 12:39:30 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5884

        Title:      Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) for 
                    MPLS Label Switched Paths (LSPs) 
        Author:     R. Aggarwal, K. Kompella,
                    T. Nadeau, G. Swallow
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 27734
        Updates:    RFC1122

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5884.txt

One desirable application of Bidirectional Forwarding Detection
(BFD) is to detect a Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label
Switched Path (LSP) data plane failure.  LSP Ping is an existing
mechanism for detecting MPLS data plane failures and for verifying
the MPLS LSP data plane against the control plane.  BFD can be used
for the former, but not for the latter.  However, the control plane
processing required for BFD Control packets is relatively smaller
than the processing required for LSP Ping messages.  A combination of
LSP Ping and BFD can be used to provide faster data plane failure
detection and/or make it possible to provide such detection on a
greater number of LSPs.  This document describes the applicability of
BFD in relation to LSP Ping for this application.  It also describes
procedures for using BFD in this environment.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC