Subject: Document Action: 'Use of Status-Server Packets in the Remote Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS) Protocol' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 10:49:34 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Use of Status-Server Packets in the Remote Authentication Dial In User 
   Service (RADIUS) Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-radext-status-server-09.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the RADIUS EXTensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-radext-status-server-09.txt

Technical Summary

This document specifies a deployed extenion to RADIUS which enables
clients to query the status of a RADIUS server.  While the
Status-Server Code (12) was defined as experimental in RFC 2865
Section 3, details of the protocol's operation have not been
documented until now.  

Working Group Summary

This document has completed RADEXT WG last call, with the primary
areas of discussion relating to security and ID field usage. 

The RADEXT WG elected to recommend this document for publication
as an Informational RFC rather than as a standards-Track RFC due
to concerns about problems with deployed implementations.  The
fixes recommended within the document are compatible with
existing servers that receive Status-Server packets, but impose new
security requirements on clients that send Status-Server packets.

Document Quality

The document has been reviewed by IETF RADEXT WG members. 
An expert review has been carried out by Ignacio Goyret. 

Status-Server has been implemented by multiple vendors, 
including RADIATOR, FreeRADIUS and Cistron.  It is currently
in use within EDUROAM, an educational roaming consortium
with more than one million users worldwide.  As
a result, the document reflects operational experience.

Personnel

Bernard Aboba is the document shepherd for this document. 
Dan Romascanu is the responsible AD.