Subject: Re:Informational RFC to be:draft-resman-idna2008-mappings-01.txt

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:12:20 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'Mapping Characters in
IDNA2008' <draft-resman-idna2008-mappings-01.txt> as an Informational RFC.

The IESG would also like the RFC-Editor to review the comments in
the datatracker 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=19932&rfc_flag=0)
related to this document and determine whether or not they merit 
incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot 
and the comment log. 

The IESG contact person is Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-resman-idna2008-mappings-01.txt

The process for such documents is described at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html.

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

   In the original version of the Internationalized Domain Names in
   Applications (IDNA) protocol, any Unicode code points taken from user
   input were mapped into a set of Unicode code points that "made
   sense", and then encoded and passed to the domain name system (DNS).
   The IDNA2008 protocol presumes that the input to the protocol comes
   from a set of "permitted" code points, which it then encodes and
   passes to the DNS, but does not specify what to do with the result of
   user input.  This document describes the actions that can be taken by
   an implementation between user input and passing permitted code
   points to the new IDNA protocol.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of a WG. Although it is related
   to work completed in the (former) IDNABIS WG, that WG decided that
   mapping of user input to protocol data units was out of scope.

Document Quality

   The document provides a helpful overview of mapping issues related 
   to handling of internationalized domain names, with one suggested 
   mapping along with relevant warnings so that implementers will take
   proper care in choosing appropriate mappings for their applications.
   The document has been reviewed by the responsible Area Director, who
   deems it of good quality.

Personnel

   The responsible Area Director is Peter Saint-Andre.

RFC Editor Note

   This document expands upon IETF work already completed in the former
   IDNABIS WG but does not conflict with the results of that IETF work
   in any way; therefore it is appropriate for publication by the RFC
   Editor in the Independent Submission stream.