Subject: Protocol Action: 'Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)' to Full Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:03:46 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) '
  RFC 5652 as a Full Standard

This document is the product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Sean Turner.

A URL of this RFC is:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5652.txt

Technical Summary

   This document specifies the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS),
   which is used to digitally sign, digest, authenticate, or encrypt
   arbitrary message content.  

Working Group Summary

   RFC 5652 was a product of the smime working group.
   CMS is widely referenced, and is a key building block for
   specifications developed by the S/MIME, ltans, and keyprov
   working groups.

Document Quality

   The community has accumulated significant operational experience
   with the Cryptographic Message Syntax in a variety of security 
   protocols.  The technical maturity and high level of confidence is
   clearly demonstrated by the continued use of CMS as a building
   block for these standards efforts.

   Two or more interoperable implementations were identified for
   all features when this specification was promoted to Draft Standard.  
   The implementation report for RFC 3852 is available at:

       http://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation/report-rfc3852.txt

Personnel

   Tim Polk is the  Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

In section 5.3, third paragraph in the list beginning with
"The fields of type SignerInfo have the following meanings:", 
please make the following substitution:

s/associated SignerData./associated SignedData./