Subject: RFC 5936 on DNS Zone Transfer Protocol (AXFR)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:55:50 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5936

        Title:      DNS Zone Transfer Protocol (AXFR) 
        Author:     E. Lewis, A. Hoenes, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 66337
        Updates:    RFC1034, RFC1035

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-axfr-clarify-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5936.txt

The standard means within the Domain Name System protocol for
maintaining coherence among a zone's authoritative name servers
consists of three mechanisms.  Authoritative Transfer (AXFR) is one
of the mechanisms and is defined in RFC 1034 and RFC 1035.

The definition of AXFR has proven insufficient in detail, thereby
forcing implementations intended to be compliant to make assumptions,
impeding interoperability.  Yet today we have a satisfactory set of
implementations that do interoperate.  This document is a new
definition of AXFR -- new in the sense that it records an accurate
definition of an interoperable AXFR mechanism.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC