Subject: Document Action: 'IPv6 Deployment in Internet Exchange Points (IXPs)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:47:27 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IPv6 Deployment in Internet Exchange Points (IXPs) '
   <draft-ietf-v6ops-v6inixp-09.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-v6inixp-09.txt

Technical Summary 

This document provides guidance on IPv6 deployment in Internet Exchange
Points (IXP). It includes information regarding the switch fabric
configuration, the addressing plan and general organizational tasks that
need to be performed. IXPs are mainly a layer 2 infrastructure and in many
cases the best recommendations suggest that the IPv6 data, control and
management plane should not be handled differently than in IPv4.

Working Group Summary 

The working group is generally supportive of the recommendations of this
document.

Document Quality 

The document makes clear recommendations on how one would deploy IPv6 in
an IXP. In general, this is done by reference to IPv4, which IXPs also
support; it recommends that one follows the same procedures one does for
IPv4. Where there are differences, notably in the format of the addresses
used, it is clear and straightforward. For example, it recommends against
the use of ULAs due to the need to perform reverse DNS verification, and
prefers global addresses, and gives several examples of addressing
conventions that have been found useful in IXP deployments.

Personnel

Fred Baker is shepherd for this document.