Subject: Protocol Action: 'The 'mailto' URI Scheme' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 07:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The 'mailto' URI Scheme '
   <draft-duerst-mailto-bis-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duerst-mailto-bis-10.txt

Technical Summary

   This document defines the format of Uniform Resource Identifiers
   (URI) to identify resources that are reached using Internet mail.  It
   adds better internationalization and compatibility with IRIs (RFC
   3987) to the previous syntax of 'mailto' URIs (RFC 2368).

Working Group Summary

   This is an individual submission, however it is related to work
   in the IRI WG and comments were solicited on the IRI WG mailing list.

Document Quality

   There are multiple implementations of RFC 2368 today.
   Some existing implementations also claim to support UTF-8 in mailto:
   URIs, which this spec now allows.

Personnel

   Alexey Melnikov is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

In Section 2, change the following sentence (4th paragraph from the end
of the section) to read:

OLD:
   However, the latter form is NOT RECOMMENDED because different user
   agents handle this case differenty.

NEW:
   However, the latter form is NOT RECOMMENDED because different user
   agents handle this case differenty. In particular some existing
   clients ignore "to" hfvalues.

In Section 3, add to the end of the last paragraph a new sentence:

NEW:
   For example, there may be headers that are totally safe but not
   known to the MUA, so the MUA MAY choose to show them to the user.

Please add the following sentence to the end of 2nd paragraph of Section
7:

ADD:
   Users are strongly encouraged to ensure that the mailto URI presented
   to them matches the address included in the To: line of the email
   message.

In Section 7, please replace the 7th paragraph to read:

OLD:
   Programs manipulating 'mailto' URIs SHOULD take great care to not
                                       ^^^^^^
   inadvertedly double-escape or double-unescape 'mailto' URIs, and to
   make sure that escaping and unescaping conventions relating to URIs
   and relating to mail addresses are applied in the right order.

NEW:
   Programs manipulating 'mailto' URIs have to take great care to not
                                       ^^^^^^^
   inadvertedly double-escape or double-unescape 'mailto' URIs, and to
   make sure that escaping and unescaping conventions relating to URIs
   and relating to mail addresses are applied in the right order.