Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: [email-masked]

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:19:22 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/arp222/
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/arp222

Description: This list discusses issues associated with large amount of
virtual machines being introduced to data center. 

Virtual machines allow one physical server to support multiple hosts (20,
30, or hundreds of). As virtual machines are introduced to the Data Center
(DC), the number of hosts within one subnet can grow dramatically.  This
DC growth could tremendously impact to networks and hosts. Data Centers
can span multiple subnets in a single site or multiple sites across a
single AS or multiple ASes.

One issue is frequent ARP requests from hosts. All hosts send out
frequent ARP requests due to their cache being aged out in minutes. With
tens of thousands of hosts (each with a distinct MAC address) in one Data
Center (DC), the amount of ARP packets per second is potentially in the
1,000 to 10,000/second.

For additional information, please contact the list administrators, Linda
Dunbar and Sue Hares.