Subject: Document Action: 'Mailing Lists and Internationalized Email Addresses' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 05:50:22 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Mailing Lists and Internationalized Email Addresses '
   <draft-ietf-eai-mailinglist-07.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-mailinglist-07.txt

Technical Summary
   This document describes considerations for mailing lists with
   the introduction of internationalized email addresses in RFC 5335
   and makes some specific recommendations on how mailing lists should
   act in various situations.

Working Group Summary
   The EAI Working Group produced this document and it is the result
   of solid consensus in the WG for these recommendations.

Document Quality
   Experimental implementations of this document are currently underway,
   though not completed.

Personnel
   Pete Resnick is the Document Shepherd. Alexey Melnikov is the 
   Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

In Section 1, change the 1st paragraph:

OLD:
   This document describes considerations for mailing lists with the
   introduction of internationalized email addresses.

NEW:
   This document describes considerations for mailing lists with the
   introduction of internationalized email addresses [RFC5335].

In Section 5, please change the 1st sentence of the 4th paragraph to
read:

OLD:
   These mailing list header fields contain URLs.

NEW:
   Except for the List-ID header field, these mailing list header
   fields contain URLs [RFC3986].

In Section 5, 10th paragraph change:

OLD:
    The List-ID header field uniquely identifies a list.

NEW:
    The List-ID header field provides an opaque value that
    uniquely identifies a list.

In Section 8, please replace the 1st paragraph with 2 paragraphs:

OLD:
    Security considerations are discussed in the Framework document
    [EAI-Framework].  No further security considerations are raised by
    this document.

NEW:
    Because use of both a UTF-8 address and an alt-address for
    the same entity introduces a potential ambiguity regarding
    the identity of list subscribers and message senders,
    implementers are advised to carefully handle authorization
    decisions regarding subscriptions, sender filters, and other
    common list administration features. For example, a binding
    between a UTF-8 address and an US-ASCII alt-address can be used
    by an attacker to deny another person admission to an EAI
    mailing list.

    Other relevant security considerations are discussed in
    the Framework document [EAI-Framework].

Please add [RFC5335] and [RFC3986] to the list of Normative References.