Subject: Protocol Action: 'The SEED Cipher Algorithm and Its Use with the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:36:49 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The SEED Cipher Algorithm and Its Use with the Secure Real-time 
   Transport Protocol (SRTP) '
   <draft-ietf-avt-seed-srtp-14.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-seed-srtp-14.txt

Technical Summary

This document describes the use of the SEED [RFC4269] block cipher
algorithm in the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) [RFC3711] for
providing confidentiality for the Real-time Transport Protocol  (RTP)
[RFC3550] traffic and for the control traffic for RTP, the Real-time
Transport Control Protocol (RTCP) [RFC3550]. 

Working Group Summary

The document has been reviewed by the AVT working group to ensure
consistency with SRTP.

Document Quality

There are implementations of SEED and this draft specifies how to use 
it for SRTP

Personnel

Roni Even is the document shepherd.
Robert Sparks is the Responsible AD (Cullen Jennings was the prior
responsible AD). 
Review was provided by David McGrew and Eric Rescorla.

RFC Editor Note:

1. Replace existing entire text in Section 1.1 with the following text 
(the following text is copied verbatum from RFC4162):

SEED is a symmetric encryption algorithm that was developed by Korea
Information Security Agency (KISA) and a group of experts, beginning
in 1998.  The input/output block size of SEED is 128-bit and the key
length is also 128-bit.  SEED has the 16-round Feistel structure.  A
128-bit input is divided into two 64-bit blocks and the right 64-bit
block is an input to the round function with a 64-bit subkey
generated from the key scheduling.

SEED is easily implemented in various software and hardware because
it is designed to increase the efficiency of memory storage and the
simplicity of generating keys without degrading the security of the
algorithm.  In particular, it can be effectively adopted in a
computing environment that has a restricted resources such as mobile
devices, smart cards, and so on.

SEED is a national industrial association standard [TTASSEED] and is
widely used in South Korea for electronic commerce and financial
services operated on wired & wireless PKI.

The algorithm specification and object identifiers are described in
[SEED-ALG].  The SEED homepage,
http://www.kisa.or.kr/seed/seed_eng.html, contains a wealth of
information about SEED, including detailed specification, evaluation
report, test vectors, and so on.

2. Section 5,

OLD:
  "Mandatory-to-implement" means conformance to the specification, and
  that Table 1 does not supersede a similar table in Section 5 of
  [RFC3711]. An RTP implementation that supports SEED MUST implement
  the modes listed in Table 1.
NEW:
  "Mandatory-to-implement" means conformance to this specification, and
.............................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                            "to this specification"
  that Table 1 does not supersede a similar table in Section 5 of
  [RFC3711].  An RTP implementation that supports SEED MUST implement
  the modes listed in Table 1.