Subject: RFC 5909 on Securing Neighbor Discovery Proxy: Problem Statement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:33:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5909

        Title:      Securing Neighbor Discovery Proxy: Problem 
                    Statement 
        Author:     J-M. Combes, S. Krishnan,
                    G. Daley
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 50433
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-csi-sndp-prob-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5909.txt

Neighbor Discovery Proxies are used to provide an address presence on
a link for nodes that are no longer present on the link.  They allow
a node to receive packets directed at its address by allowing another
device to perform Neighbor Discovery operations on its behalf.

Neighbor Discovery Proxy is used in Mobile IPv6 and related protocols
to provide reachability from nodes on the home network when a Mobile
Node is not at home, by allowing the Home Agent to act as proxy.  It
is also used as a mechanism to allow a global prefix to span multiple
links, where proxies act as relays for Neighbor Discovery messages.

Neighbor Discovery Proxy currently cannot be secured using Secure
Neighbor Discovery (SEND).  Today, SEND assumes that a node
advertising an address is the address owner and in possession of
appropriate public and private keys for that node.  This document
describes how existing practice for proxy Neighbor Discovery relates
to SEND.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Cga & Send maIntenance Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC