Subject: Document Action: 'Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Overview and Framework for Internationalized Email'
  <draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis-10.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Email Address Internationalization
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis/

Technical Summary

   Full use of electronic mail throughout the world requires that
   (subject to other constraints) people be able to use close
   variations on their own names (written correctly in their own
   languages and scripts) as mailbox names in email addresses.
   This document introduces a series of specifications that define
   mechanisms and protocol extensions needed to fully support
   internationalized email addresses.  These changes include an
   SMTP extension and extension of email header syntax to
   accommodate UTF-8 data.  The document set also includes
   discussion of key assumptions and issues in deploying fully
   internationalized email.  This document is an update of RFC
   4952; it reflects additional issues identified since that
   document was published.

Working Group Summary

   There were nothing controversal nor even rough for this document.

Document Quality

   This document does not describe any protocols in detail, that
   belongs to other documents.  Ernie Daindow, Tony Hansen,
   Shawn Steele, and Jiankang Yao reviewed the document
   thoroughly and suggested text to improve it. 

   The general protocol collection described in this document
   derives from prior Experimental protocols that were
   implemented and tested.  The results of those experiments,
   focusing on what should be done differently as a result, are
   discussed in this document.  At least those who implemented
   the Experimental protocols, and presumably some others, are
   likely to implement the standards-track protocols as soon as
   they are considered stable.  There appears to be significant
   worldwide demand for the facilities being specified by the
   EAI WG and outlined in this document.

Personnel

   Joseph Yee is the Document Shepherd. Alexey Melnikov is
   the Responsible Area Director.