Subject: Protocol Action: 'Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) for Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:25:06 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) for Stream Control
   Transmission Protocol (SCTP)'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-dtls-for-sctp-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Harrington and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-dtls-for-sctp/

Technical Summary

This document describes the usage of the Datagram Transport Layer
Security (DTLS) protocol over the Stream Control Transmission Protocol
(SCTP). Security features provided by DTLS over SCTP include
authentication, message integrity and privacy of user messages.
Applications using DTLS over SCTP can use almost all transport features
provided by SCTP and its extensions.

Working Group Summary

The WG contributed to this work and participated in review of this
document. It has the support of the TSVWG.

Document Quality

There are no implementation reports for this specification, but there is
an OpenSSL implementation. The WG review considered related work on RFC 
5238, and this resulted in some changes to the final specification to 
align the two methods. The document is now thought to be ready to
publish as a Standards Track RFC.

Personnel

Document Shepherd:  Gorry Fairhurst, TSVWG Chair
Responsible Area Director: David Harrington  
The document does not require IANA experts