Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using Counter Modes with Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) and Authentication Header (AH) to Protect Group Traffic' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:28:24 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using Counter Modes with Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) and
   Authentication Header (AH) to Protect Group Traffic'
  <draft-ietf-msec-ipsec-group-counter-modes-06.txt> as a Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Multicast Security Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-msec-ipsec-group-counter-modes/

Technical Summary

Counter modes have been defined for block ciphers such as the
Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).  Counter modes use a counter,
which is typically assumed to be incremented by a single sender.
This memo describes the use of counter modes when applied to the
Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) and Authentication Header (AH)
in multiple-sender group applications.

Working Group Summary

One of the main comments received (Alfred Hoenes) concerns the
need to make the proposal compatible with any AES-like block ciphers
(it was previously restricted to AES).  It has been addressed.
There was no controversial issue.

Document Quality

The document is small and easy to read.
I am not aware of the existence of an implementation but it's
likely one will be done, if not already the case.

Personnel

Vincent Roca is the shepherd.  Tim Polk is the responsible
Area Director.