Subject: RFC 5998 on An Extension for EAP-Only Authentication in IKEv2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 17:04:05 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5998

        Title:      An Extension for EAP-Only Authentication 
                    in IKEv2 
        Author:     P. Eronen, H. Tschofenig,
                    Y. Sheffer
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 33477
        Updates:    RFC5996

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipsecme-eap-mutual-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5998.txt

IKEv2 specifies that Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
authentication must be used together with responder authentication
based on public key signatures.  This is necessary with old EAP
methods that provide only unilateral authentication using, e.g., one-
time passwords or token cards.

This document specifies how EAP methods that provide mutual
authentication and key agreement can be used to provide extensible
responder authentication for IKEv2 based on methods other than public
key signatures.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC