Subject: Document Action: 'A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Extension for the Identification of Services' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:16:22 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Extension for the Identification
   of Services'
  <draft-drage-sipping-service-identification-05.txt> as an Informational
RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-drage-sipping-service-identification/

Technical Summary
 
   This document describes private extensions to the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP) that enable a network of trusted SIP servers to assert
   the service of authenticated users.  The use of these extensions is
   only applicable inside an administrative domain with previously
   agreed-upon policies for generation, transport and usage of such
   information.  This document does NOT offer a general service
   identification model suitable for use between different trust
   domains, or use in the Internet at large.

   The document also defines a URN to identify both services and UA
   applications.  This URN can be used within the SIP header fields
   defined in this document to identify services, and also within the
   framework defined for caller preferences and callee capabilities to
   identify usage of both services and applications between end UAs.

Working Group Summary
 
   This document is a contribution by an individual working in 
   coordination with the 3GPP. The SIPPING working group was 
   aware of this document and the plan to advance it as an individual
   submission.

Document Quality

   See above

Personnel
 
   Robert Sparks is the responsible Area Director