Subject: Protocol Action: 'Teredo Extensions' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:52:10 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Teredo Extensions '
   <draft-thaler-v6ops-teredo-extensions-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thaler-v6ops-teredo-extensions-08.txt

Technical Summary

  This document specifies a set of extensions to the Teredo protocol.  
  These extensions provide additional capabilities to Teredo, including
  support for more types of NATs, and support for more efficient 
  communication (fewer signaling packets).

  A companion document, draft-krishnan-v6ops-teredo-update specifies a
  set of security updates for Teredo that mitigate a number of security
  concerns.

  Microsoft's own spec [MS-TERE] combined teredo-update and
  teredo-extensions applies to both.

  It's also worth noting that a third document
  draft-ietf-v6ops-tunnel-security-concerns discusses security issues
  and potential mitigations regarding tunneling more generally.

Working Group Summary

  Draft-krishnan-v6ops-teredo-update is closely related to
  draft-thaler-v6ops-teredo-extensions.  The "Teredo update"
  is a set of simple security fixes to the base Teredo protocol
  to reflect what actually got implemented and deployed.
  (The history is that Symantec originally wrote the security concerns
  document and made a number of security recommendations, which mostly
  match what Vista and Windows 7 actually do, and the recommendations
  were what then became teredo-update.  When the WG reviewed the
  recommendations, the only ones that had WG consensus turned out to
  be the same ones that Vista and Windows 7 did, and the other things
  were either removed or made MAY's to reflect WG consensus.)

  Remi Denis made very useful comments publically during the WGLCs.
  In addition, the TC previously did thorough reviews.

Document Quality

  One "full" implementation is known to exist - Windows 7 includes
  all extensions specified, and Vista includes almost all of them.  
  However, separate partial implementations were done by test suite
  compliance developers and parser developers.
  
Personnel

   There is no document shepherd. Jari Arkko is the responsible
   Area Director.