Subject: Protocol Action: 'Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN) Extensions for TCP Allocations' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:05:26 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN) Extensions for TCP
   Allocations'
  <draft-ietf-behave-turn-tcp-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance
Avoidance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Harrington and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-turn-tcp/

Technical Summary

This specification defines a protocol that allows the host to control the
operation of a relay and to exchange packets with its peers using
the relay.  TURN differs from some other relay control protocols in
that it allows a client to communicate with multiple peers using a
single relay address.

The TURN protocol was designed to be used as part of the ICE
(Interactive Connectivity Establishment) approach to NAT traversal,
though it can be also used without ICE.

Working Group Summary

There is good consensus in the WG to publish this document. 

Document Quality

There are already implementations of it. And a significant number of
vendors have indicated that they are or will implement it. 

Personnel

Dan Wing, [email-masked] is the Document Shepherd for this document. 
David Harrington, [email-masked], is the Responsible Area
Director.

RFC Editor Note

    Please be sure IPv6 hex addresses are represented in lowercase hex, as per draft-ietf-6man-text-representation.