Subject: RFC 6026 on Correct Transaction Handling for 2xx Responses to Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) INVITE Requests

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:13:56 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6026

        Title:      Correct Transaction Handling for 2xx 
                    Responses to Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
                    INVITE Requests 
        Author:     R. Sparks, T. Zourzouvillys
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 44035
        Updates:    RFC3261

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipcore-invfix-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6026.txt

This document normatively updates RFC 3261, the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP), to address an error in the specified handling of
success (2xx class) responses to INVITE requests.  Elements following
RFC 3261 exactly will misidentify retransmissions of the request as a
new, unassociated request.  The correction involves modifying the
INVITE transaction state machines.  The correction also changes the
way responses that cannot be matched to an existing transaction are
handled to address a security risk.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC