Subject: RFC 6010 on Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Content Constraints Extension

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:08:30 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6010

        Title:      Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Content 
                    Constraints Extension 
        Author:     R. Housley, S. Ashmore,
                    C. Wallace
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      38
        Characters: 87495
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-housley-cms-content-constraints-extn-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6010.txt

This document specifies the syntax and semantics for the
Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) content constraints extension.
This extension is used to determine whether a public key is
appropriate to use in the processing of a protected content.  In
particular, the CMS content constraints extension is one part of the
authorization decision; it is used when validating a digital
signature on a CMS SignedData content or validating a message
authentication code (MAC) on a CMS AuthenticatedData content or CMS
AuthEnvelopedData content.  The signed or authenticated content type
is identified by an ASN.1 object identifier, and this extension
indicates the content types that the public key is authorized to
validate.  If the authorization check is successful, the CMS content
constraints extension also provides default values for absent
attributes.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC