Subject: Document Action: 'BCP 47 Extension U' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 09:54:01 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'BCP 47 Extension U'
  <draft-davis-u-langtag-ext-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-davis-u-langtag-ext/

Technical Summary

   The document specifies the 'u-' extension to BCP 47 language tags,
   which provides subtags that specify locale-oriented properties
   (such as calendar, collation, currency, time zone) according to
   work done by the Unicode Consortium in the context of CLDR (Common
   Language Data Repository) and LDML (Locale Data Markup Language).

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of any IETF working group.

Document Quality

   The document has been reviewed by various language tagging and
   localization experts. In the context of CLDR (Common Language Data
   Repository) and LDML (Locale Data Markup Language), the proposed
   extension will be used widely. Uses in other localization contexts
   are also possible, because this extension provides a very
   convenient way to extend IETF language tags (BCP47) with the
   usually small missing bits of information to designate a locale.

Personnel

   Martin J. Duerst is the Document Shepherd. Alexey Melnikov is the 
   Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

   Please add RFC 2119 to the list of Normative References.

   Please update the "Comments" field in the IANA registration template (in Section 2.2) to read:

OLD:
 Comments: Subtags for the identification of language and cultural
     variations. Used to set behavior in locale APIs. Data is
     located in the "common/bcp47" directory inside the referenced
     URL. Unicode Technical Standard #35 (LDML) provides additional
     reference material defining the keys and values.

NEW:
 Comments: Subtags for the identification of language and cultural
     variations. Used to set behavior in locale APIs. Data is
     located in the "common/bcp47" directory inside the referenced
     URL. Unicode Technical Standard #35 (LDML) provides additional
     reference material defining the keys and values.
     For more details please see <http://cldr.unicode.org/index/bcp47-extension>.