Subject: RFC 5895 on Mapping Characters for Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA) 2008

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:38:46 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5895

        Title:      Mapping Characters for Internationalized Domain 
                    Names in Applications (IDNA) 2008 
        Author:     P. Resnick, P. Hoffman
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       September 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 16556
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-resman-idna2008-mappings-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5895.txt

In the original version of the Internationalized Domain Names in
Applications (IDNA) protocol, any Unicode code points taken from user
input were mapped into a set of Unicode code points that "made
sense", and then encoded and passed to the domain name system (DNS).
The IDNA2008 protocol (described in RFCs 5890, 5891, 5892, and 5893)
presumes that the input to the protocol comes from a set of
"permitted" code points, which it then encodes and passes to the DNS,
but does not specify what to do with the result of user input.  This
document describes the actions that can be taken by an implementation
between receiving user input and passing permitted code points to the
new IDNA protocol.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC