Subject: Protocol Action: 'On the implementation of the TCP urgent mechanism' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 06:56:06 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'On the implementation of the TCP urgent mechanism '
   <draft-ietf-tcpm-urgent-data-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-urgent-data-07.txt

Technical Summary

  This document analyzes how current TCP implementations process TCP
  urgent indications, and how the behavior of some widely-deployed
  middle-boxes affect how urgent indications are processed by end
  systems.  This document updates the relevant specifications such that
  they accommodate current practice in processing TCP urgent
  indications, provides advice to applications that make use of the
  urgent mechanism, and raises awareness about the reliability of TCP
  urgent indications in the current Internet.

Working Group Summary

  Nothing exceptional occurred during the working group process for this
  document.

Document Quality

  This document specifically is aimed at bringing the specification and
  existing implementations into line clearly with each other.  The
  implementation practices in this document have been adopted in multiple
  implementations and this document provides guidance to aid in future
  compatibility with applications in new and old TCP implementations.

Personnel

  Wesley Eddy ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
  Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed this document for the IESG.