Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Framework for Session Initiation Protocol User Agent Profile Delivery' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 05:08:50 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Framework for Session Initiation Protocol User Agent Profile
   Delivery'
  <draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework-18.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal
Investigation Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies a framework to enable configuration of
  Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agents in SIP
  deployments. The framework provides a means to deliver profile 
  data that User Agents need to be functional, automatically and 
  with minimal or no User and Administrative intervention. The 
  framework describes how SIP User Agents can discover sources, 
  request profiles and receive notifications related to profile
  modifications. As part of this framework, a new SIP event package 
  is defined for notification of profile changes. The framework 
  provides minimal data retrieval options to ensure interoperability. 
  The framework does not include specification of the profile data 
  within its scope.

Working Group Summary

  This document was a product of the SIPPING working group

Document Quality

  This document defines a new SIP event package and profile
  types for configuring SIP User agents. The document has been 
  thoroughly reviewed by members of the SIPPING WG and members 
  of a design team that focused on SIP User agent configuration.
  Tina Tsou provided an early OPS-DIR review of version -15 of
  this document. There are implementations of this protocol in use. 

Personnel

  Mary Barnes is the WG chair shepherd. Robert Sparks is the
  responsible Area director.