Subject: WG Action: Conclusion of Security Issues in Network Event Logging (syslog)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:30:24 -0700 (PDT)

The Security Issues in Network Event Logging (syslog) working group in
the Security Area has concluded. The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk
and Sean Turner.

The syslog working group has completed its charter items, and is
officially closing. The mailing list will be retained for future
discussions involving syslog.

The syslog working group was primarily focused on standardizing the
syslog protocol for logging system events. Initially developed on the
University of California Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) TCP/IP
system implementations, syslog became the defacto standard. The SYSLOG
working group standardized the protocol within the IETF. In total the
working group published eight RFCs, including The Syslog Protocol (RFC
5424), Transmission of Syslog Messages over UDP (RFC 5426), Transport
Layer Security (TLS) Transport Mapping for Syslog (RFC 5245), and
Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Transport Mapping for Syslog
(RFC 6012).

I would like to thank all of the IETF participants who have
contributed to the various documents produced by the syslog working
group and to the successful completion of these important
deliverables. We especially thank Chris Lonvick and David Harrington
who have chaired the working group from its inception.

I would also like to recognize Eric Allman, who is the original
inventor and author of the syslog daemon and protocol.

The syslog mailing list will remain open and the list archive will be
retained.

- Sean Turner