Subject: RFC 5971 on GIST: General Internet Signalling Transport

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 12:14:23 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5971

        Title:      GIST: General Internet Signalling Transport 
        Author:     H. Schulzrinne, R. Hancock
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      154
        Characters: 381127
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp-20.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5971.txt

This document specifies protocol stacks for the routing and transport
of per-flow signalling messages along the path taken by that flow
through the network.  The design uses existing transport and security
protocols under a common messaging layer, the General Internet
Signalling Transport (GIST), which provides a common service for
diverse signalling applications.  GIST does not handle signalling
application state itself, but manages its own internal state and the
configuration of the underlying transport and security protocols to
enable the transfer of messages in both directions along the flow
path.  The combination of GIST and the lower layer transport and
security protocols provides a solution for the base protocol
component of the "Next Steps in Signalling" (NSIS) framework.  
This document defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet
community.

This document is a product of the Next Steps in Signaling Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC