Subject: Document Action: 'ANSI C12.22, IEEE 1703 and MC12.22 Transport Over IP' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:38:32 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'ANSI C12.22, IEEE 1703 and MC12.22 Transport Over IP '
   <draft-c1222-transport-over-ip-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-c1222-transport-over-ip-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
  The ANSI C12.22 / IEEE P1377 / MC1222 standards provide a set of
  application layer messaging services that are applicable for the
  enterprise (e.g. meter data management systems and head-end systems)
  and End Device components (e.g. meters) of an Advanced Metering
  Infrastructure (AMI) for the SmartGrid.  The C12.22 services are
  tailored for, but not limited to, the exchange of the C12.19 Table
  data Elements defined and co-published in ANSI C12.19, IEEE P1377
  and MC1219. The cited recent versions of the Utility End Device
  communication standards were developed under the auspices of ANSI
  C12 SC17 WG1, ANSI C12 SC17 WG2.  For that reason, the terminology
  used in this RFC is based on the ANSI C12.22-2008 and ANSI
  C12.19-2008 definitions as revised by IEEE P1703 and IEEE
  P1377. ANSI C12.22 is an application messaging protocol component
  that may be used over any underlying transport network.  This RFC
  defines the requirements governing the transmission of ANSI C12.22
  Messages (APDUs) via the TCP and UDP transports of the Internet. In
  addition it describes the characteristics and use of the C12.22
  Internet Network Segment, the C12.22 Node address
  encapsulation-encoding conveyed in some C12.22 Messages (APDUs) and
  ANSI C12.19 Table Elements stored by Internet Nodes. The RFC also
  provides information on the use of the C12.22 assigned UDP and TCP
  port numbers and the C12.22 Node's use of the TCP and UDP transports
  according to the C12.22 Node’s accepted registration attributes. The
  mapping between the C12.22 connection-type parameters and the use of
  TCP and UDP transports by C12.22 Nodes are provided.
 
Working Group Summary
 
  This document was created by technical experts of the ANSI C12.22
  and ANSI C12.19 Standards, based on they first hand implementation
  knowledge of existing C12.22 implementations for the Internet. Its
  content is an expression on the aggregate experience of all known
  implementations of ANSI C12.22 for the SmartGrid using the
  internet. This document is referenced by other Standards and
  technical specifications, such as EEI/AEIC Guidelines for
  interoperability. During the preparation of this RFC no IETF working
  group was involved, thus it has not yet been considered by an IETF
  working group. However, it was reviewed by a number of commentators
  via the Gen-art review process. All comments that were received were
  considered and corrections were applied the latest raft of this RFC.
 
Document Quality    
 
  The document was reviewed by both IETF Gen-art reviewers and by
  C12.22 industry experts from leading meter manufacturers, utilities
  and middle ware integrators. The document describes target Internet
  implementations by major meter manufacturers such as Itron,
  Landis+Gyr; middleware providers such as SmartSynch, Trilliant and
  Future DOS. The document has been reviewed by expert individuals
  from leading technology providers such as Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent and
  Itron. All of their comments were reviewed and consensus resolutions
  were applied to the latest draft. As such we believe that at this
  stage the document has no more outstanding substantive issues.

Personnel

   Fred Baker <[email-masked]> is the Document Shepherd.  Ralph
   Droms <[email-masked]> is the responsible AD.