Subject: Protocol Action: 'Certificate Management Service for The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 08:29:04 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Certificate Management Service for The Session Initiation Protocol
   (SIP)'
  <draft-ietf-sip-certs-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sip-certs/

Technical Summary

This draft defines a Credential Service that allows Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP) User Agents (UAs) to use a SIP event package to discover
the certificates of other users.  This mechanism allows user agents that
want to contact a given Address-of-Record (AOR) to retrieve that AOR's
certificate by subscribing to the Credential Service, which returns an
authenticated response containing that certificate.  The Credential
Service also allows users to store and retrieve their own certificates and
private keys. Several operational modes are defined, wherein the
credential service may act only as a distributor of the public key, may
also act as a distributor of the encrypted private key, or as the
repository and distributor of both the public and private key.

Working Group Summary

The working group process for this draft was unusually long, spanning
several years.

Document Quality
 
We are currently not aware of any publicly announced implementations of
this specification, although one can be built relatively trivially on top
of general purpose SIP Events servers, and we are aware of at least one
internal prototype implemented in this manner.

MIME type review was non-controversial and was initiated on March 12,
2007. Björn Höhrmann raised several points, which were resolved in the -04
version of this specification.

SIP Events review was performed by Adam Roach, with several issues being
noted and resolved in -03 of this specification.

Personnel

   Dean Willis is Proto Document Shepherd for this document. Robert
Sparks is the shepherding AD. Jon Peterson was the previous shepherding
AD.