Subject: Protocol Action: 'IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:23:04 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm'
  <draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-23.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance
Avoidance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Harrington and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate/

Technical Summary

   This document is a product of the 2008-2010 effort to define a
   replacement for NAT-PT [RFC2766].  It is directly derivative from
   Erik Nordmark's "Stateless IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm (SIIT)"
   [RFC2765], which provides stateless translation between IPv4
   [RFC0791] and IPv6 [RFC2460], and between ICMPv4 [RFC0792] and ICMPv6
   [RFC4443].

Working Group Summary

This document represents WG consensus.
The primary issues raised dealt with fragment handling.
An investigation was done to determine how much of a problem not
getting ICMPv6 "packet too big" messages is on the public Internet,
and it was found to be a bigger problem than originally anticipated.
As such, this changed the WG opinion from rough consensus on
one approach to a strong consensus on a different appoach on
the final document.

Document Quality

several vendors are actively implementing the specification.

Personnel

Responsible AD: David Harrington 
Dave Thaler ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd. 
The document doesn't require IANA experts.

RFC Editor Note

  Please be sure IPv6 hex addresses are represented in lowercase hex, as per draft-ietf-6man-text-representation.