Subject: Protocol Action: 'Address Mapping of IPv6 multicast packets on Ethernet' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:22:52 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Address Mapping of IPv6 multicast packets on Ethernet '
   <draft-gundavelli-v6ops-l2-unicast-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gundavelli-v6ops-l2-unicast-06.txt

    Technical Summary 

   When transmitting an IPv6 packet to a multicast group, the
   destination address in the link-layer header is typically set to the
   corresponding mapped address of the destination address from the IP
   header.  However, it is not mandatory that the destination address in
   the link-layer header is always a mapped multicast equivalent of its
   IP destination address.  There are various deployment scenarios where
   there a need to transmit an IPv6 multicast message as an unicast
   message on the link-layer.  Unfortunately, the IPv6 specifications do
   not clearly state this.  This document explicitly clarifies this
   point and makes such packet construct and transmission legal and
   valid.
 
    Working Group Summary 

The working group reviewed and discussed the draft. There was a point of
rough consensus, but in general respondents said the document was
relevant, useful, and appropriate.

    Document Quality 

The document is readable to a native speaker of English. It is very
simple, and its two recommendations are clearly stated.

   Personel

Fred Baker is shepherd.