Subject: RFC 5946 on Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) Extensions for Path-Triggered RSVP Receiver Proxy

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:09:56 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5946

        Title:      Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) Extensions 
                    for Path-Triggered RSVP Receiver Proxy 
        Author:     F. Le Faucheur, J. Manner,
                    A. Narayanan, A. Guillou,
                    H. Malik
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 81414
        Updates:    RFC2205

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-proxy-proto-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5946.txt

Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) signaling can be used to make
end-to-end resource reservations in an IP network in order to
guarantee the Quality of Service (QoS) required by certain flows.
With conventional RSVP, both the data sender and receiver of a given
flow take part in RSVP signaling.  Yet, there are many use cases
where resource reservation is required, but the receiver, the sender,
or both, is not RSVP-capable.  Where the receiver is not RSVP-
capable, an RSVP router may behave as an RSVP Receiver Proxy, thereby
performing RSVP signaling on behalf of the receiver.  This allows
resource reservations to be established on the segment of the end-to-
end path from the sender to the RSVP Receiver Proxy.  However, as
discussed in the companion document "RSVP Proxy Approaches", RSVP
extensions are needed to facilitate operations with an RSVP Receiver
Proxy whose signaling is triggered by receipt of RSVP Path messages
from the sender.  This document specifies these extensions.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC