Subject: RFC 6029 on A Survey on Research on the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 18:35:55 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6029

        Title:      A Survey on Research on 
                    the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) 
                    Problem 
        Author:     I. Rimac, V. Hilt,
                    M. Tomsu, V. Gurbani,
                    E. Marocco
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       October 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 48615
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-p2prg-alto-survey-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6029.txt

A significant part of the Internet traffic today is generated by
peer-to-peer (P2P) applications used originally for file sharing, and
more recently for real-time communications and live media streaming.
Such applications discover a route to each other through an overlay
network with little knowledge of the underlying network topology.  As
a result, they may choose peers based on information deduced from
empirical measurements, which can lead to suboptimal choices.  This
document, a product of the P2P Research Group, presents a survey of
existing literature on discovering and using network topology
information for Application-Layer Traffic Optimization.  This 
document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC