Subject: RFC 6045 on Real-time Inter-network Defense (RID)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 21:49:20 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6045

        Title:      Real-time Inter-network Defense (RID) 
        Author:     K. Moriarty
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      75
        Characters: 172817
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-moriarty-post-inch-rid-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6045.txt

Network security incidents, such as system compromises, worms,
viruses, phishing incidents, and denial of service, typically
result in the loss of service, data, and resources both human and
system.  Network providers and Computer Security Incident Response
Teams need to be equipped and ready to assist in communicating and
tracing security incidents with tools and procedures in place
before the occurrence of an attack.  Real-time Inter-network
Defense (RID) outlines a proactive inter-network communication method to
facilitate sharing incident handling data while integrating
existing detection, tracing, source identification, and mitigation
mechanisms for a complete incident handling solution.  Combining
these capabilities in a communication system provides a way to
achieve higher security levels on networks.  Policy guidelines for
handling incidents are recommended and can be agreed upon by a
consortium using the security recommendations and considerations.

RID has found use within the international research communities,
but has not been widely adopted in other sectors.  This publication
provides the specification to those communities that have adopted
it, and communities currently considering solutions for real-time
inter-network defense.  The specification may also accelerate
development of solutions where different transports or message
formats are required by leveraging the data elements and structures
specified here.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC