Subject: RFC 6082 on Deprecating Unicode Language Tag Characters: RFC 2482 is Historic

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 21:50:44 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6082

        Title:      Deprecating Unicode Language Tag Characters: 
                    RFC 2482 is Historic 
        Author:     K. Whistler, G. Adams,
                    M. Duerst, R. Presuhn, Ed., 
                    J. Klensin
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      4
        Characters: 6633
        Obsoletes:  RFC2482

        I-D Tag:    draft-presuhn-rfc2482-historic-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6082.txt

RFC 2482, "Language Tagging in Unicode Plain Text", describes a
mechanism for using special Unicode language tag characters to
identify languages when needed without more general markup such as
that provided by XML.  The Unicode Consortium has deprecated that
facility and strongly recommends against its use.  RFC 2482 has been
moved to Historic status to reduce the possibility that Internet
implementers would consider that system an appropriate mechanism for
identifying languages.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC