Subject: Feedback on Day Passes

From: The IAOC <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:04:33 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

As part of the IAOC presentation in Beijing, I said that the IAOC will be
making a decision on Day Passes in the middle of December.  I would like
your feedback on the Day Pass experiment.

As reported in Beijing, the goal of the Day Pass experiment is to "Goal
is to access convenience to IETF attendees without significant impact on
revenue"

Usage has been:

124 in Hiroshima ($200)
135 in Anaheim ($200)
71 in Maastricht ($350)
47 in Beijing ($350)

While this looks like a trend toward lower usage (possibly driven by
higher fees), it's hard to tell if this trend will continue or reverse.

Possible reasons to continue offering Day Passes:

- No significant negative impact on overall revenue.  Hard to tell what
  percentage of people would buy full registration instead.

- Useful for people buying the day passes.

Possible reasons to discontinue offering Day Passes:

- Caused unexpected effect on Nomcom qualification.

- Encourages drop in for a single session and discourages full IETF
experience,
  meetings in the hall, and cross area fertilization.

- Not being used heavily.

- Could impact revenue if usage increased.

I appreciate you feedback.  Feedback can be sent to me directly
([email-masked]), the IAOC list ([email-masked]), or to the IETF list
([email-masked]).  Try to avoid all three :-)

Thanks,
Bob