Subject: Document Action: 'LDP IGP Synchronization for broadcast networks' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-igp-sync-bcast-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:16:55 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'LDP IGP Synchronization for broadcast networks'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-igp-sync-bcast-06.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-igp-sync-bcast/

Technical Summary

  LDP IGP Synchronization ([RFC5443]) describes a mechanism to
  prevent black-holing traffic (e.g. VPN) when an interior gateway
  protocol (IGP) is operational on a link but Label Distribution
  Protocol (LDP) is not. If this mechanism is applied to broadcast
  links that have more than one LDP/IGP peer, the cost-out
  procedure can only be applied to the link as a whole but not an
  individual peer. When a new LDP peer comes up on a broadcast
  network, this can result in loss of traffic through other
  established peers on that network. This document describes a
  mechanism to address that use-case without dropping traffic. The
  mechanism does not introduce any protocol changes.

Working Group Summary

  Nothing worth noting.

Document Quality

  This is an Informational document.

  This is not a protocol extension but implementations that utilize
  the descibed mechanism are believed to exist.

  The document quality is good as well as the review.

Personnel

   Martin Vigoureux ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the responsible Area Director