Subject: Protocol Action: 'Procedures for Dynamically Signaled Hierarchical Label Switched Paths' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 09:15:07 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Procedures for Dynamically Signaled Hierarchical Label Switched Paths'
  <draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-hierarchy-bis-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-hierarchy-bis/

Technical Summary

Label Switched Paths (LSPs) set up in Multiprotocol Label Switching
(MPLS) or Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) networks can be used to form links
to carry traffic in those networks or in other (client) networks.

Protocol mechanisms already exist to facilitate the establishment of
such LSPs and to bundle TE links to reduce the load on routing
protocols. This document defines extensions to those mechanisms to
support identifying the use to which such LSPs are to be put and to
enable the TE link endpoints to be assigned addresses or unnumbered
identifiers during the signaling process.

The mechanisms defined in this document deprecates the technique
for the signaling of LSPs that are to be used as numbered TE links
described in RFC 4206.

Working Group Summary

As this document deprecates a technique used in RFC4206, an
informal survey was done and it was established that no
implementations exist using that technique.

Document Quality

There are no known implementations, but it is expected that several
vendors plan to implement.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd for this document is Deborah Brungard
The Responsible Area Director is Stewart Bryant.

RFC Editor Note

In Section 3.2:

OLD
A 32-bit identifier be assigned to each of the IGP instances
within a network, such that ingress and egress LSRs have the same
understanding of these numbers. 

NEW
A 32-bit identifier assigned to each of the IGP instances
within a network, such that ingress and egress LSRs have the same
understanding of these numbers. 
END

(i.e. delete the "be" at word 4 in the sentence)

In section 3.1.2

OLD
             1  IGP Instance Identifier TLV
             2  Component Link Identifier TLV 
NEW
             1  IGP Instance Identifier TLV
             2  Unnumbered Component Link Identifier TLV
             3  IPv4 Numbered Component Link Identifier TLV
             4  IPv6 Numbered Component Link Identifier TLV 
END