Subject: Protocol Action: 'RADIUS Design Guidelines' to BCP (draft-ietf-radext-design-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:47:38 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RADIUS Design Guidelines'
  (draft-ietf-radext-design-19.txt) as a BCP

This document is the product of the RADIUS EXTensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-radext-design/

Technical Summary

  This document provides guidelines for the design of attributes used
  by the Remote Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS) protocol.
  It is expected that these guidelines will prove useful to authors and
  reviewers of future RADIUS attribute specifications, both within the
  IETF as well as other Standards Development Organizations (SDOs). 

Working Group Summary

    There have been 2 WGLCs on the document.  Much of the discussion on
    the document has centered around the design guidelines 
    surrounding complex attributes, as well as the relationship of the
    RADIUS Vendor-Specific Attribute (VSA) and the Standard attribute
    space.  There was also considerable discussion relating to the
    process for review of RADIUS attributes specified by SDOs.  
    Ultimately, a consensus developed behind a model similar to that
    described in [RFC4663].

Document Quality

   This is a BCP aiming to help authors and reviewers of future RADIUS  
   attribute specifications. The RADIUS protocol is widely implemented and
   deployed. The document was extensively discussed in the Working Group
   and underwent two IETF Last Calls. Gonzalo Camarillow reviewed the  
   document for GenART.  

Personnel

   Bernard Aboba is the Document Shepherd, Dan Romascanu is the 
   Responsible Area Director.