Subject: Protocol Action: 'With-defaults capability for NETCONF' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:09:02 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'With-defaults capability for NETCONF'
  (draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults-14.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network Configuration Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-with-defaults/

Technical Summary

   The NETCONF protocol defines ways to read and edit configuration data
   from a NETCONF server.  In some cases, part of this data may not be
   set by the NETCONF client, but rather a default value known to the
   server is used instead.  In many situations the NETCONF client has a
   priori knowledge about default data, so the NETCONF server does not
   need to save it in a NETCONF configuration datastore or send it to
   the client in a retrieval operation reply.  In other situations the
   NETCONF client will need this data from the server.  Not all server
   implementations treat this default data the same way.  This document
   defines a capability-based extension to the NETCONF protocol that
   allows the NETCONF client to identify how defaults are processed by
   the server, and also defines new mechanisms for client control of
   server processing of default data.

Working Group Summary

  The working group went over several versions of the document. The
comments and
  reviews helped improve the document a lot and brought us to consensus on
the 9th
  revision of the document.

Document Quality

  There are preliminary implementations of this protocol and
  updates to comply with this spec are in plan. Others are planning to
implement
  this spec too. 

Personnel

   Bert Wijnen is the Document Shepherd.  Dan Romascanu is the 
   Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

sec 1, para 1, add missing word

OLD:

    A priori knowledge can be obtained, e.g., a document formally describing the
    data models supported by the NETCONF server.

NEW:

    A priori knowledge can be obtained, e.g., from a document formally describing the
    data models supported by the NETCONF server.

---------------------------------------------

sec 1.2 point 1: change word

OLD:

        The actual nodes omitted depends on the defaults handling behavior
        used by the server.

NEW:

        The actual nodes omitted depend on the defaults handling behavior
        used by the server.      
---------------------------------------------

sec 2, para 1, new last sentence

OLD:

    Instead of forcing a single implementation strategy, this document
    allows a server to advertise a particular style of defaults handling,
    and the client can adjust accordingly.

NEW:

    Instead of forcing a single implementation strategy, this document
    allows a server to advertise a particular style of defaults handling,
    and the client can adjust accordingly.  Client implementations are
    expected to be powerful enough to support all three of the
    server basic defaults handling modes.

---------------------------------------------

sec 8, para 2, sentence 2: change word

OLD:

    The security consideration of [I-D.ietf-netconf-4741bis] apply
    to this document as well.

NEW:

    The security consideration of [I-D.ietf-netconf-4741bis] applies
    to this document as well.