Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Multicast Mobility (multimob)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:30:04 -0800 (PST)

The Multicast Mobility (multimob) working group in the Internet Area of
the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please contact
the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Multicast Mobility (multimob)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
    Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
    Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
    Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
    Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
    Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
    Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
    General Discussion: [email-masked]
    To Subscribe:       https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multimob
    Archive:           
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/multimob/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

 The Multicast mobility (multimob) working group provides guidance
 for supporting multicast in a mobile environment. The scope of work
 will be limited to Proxy Mobile IPv6, IGMPv3/MLDv2 protocols and
 listener mobility. The group will work on extensions of Proxy Mobile
 IPv6 to improve its capability to handle multicast efficiently. Work
 requiring modifications to IGMPv3/MLDv2 is out of scope in this
 stage of this working group, however, as are modifications to
 multicast routing protocols.

 Specific goals for the group are: 

 - A solution to the tunnel convergence problem by separating
   multicast routing from a mobility anchor. Possible techniques are
   using native infrastructure, using a dedicated mobility anchor
   etc.

 - Mechanisms to optimize multicast traffic during a handover. Such
   mechanisms may include context transfer functionality.

 - Mechanisms needed to support multicast source mobility. Both any
   source multicast and source specific multicast source mobility
   will be covered.

 - Document the configuration of IGMPv3/MLDv2 in mobile environments

 The group shall primarily focus on Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) based
 networks when looking at the first three items. It is possible but
 not required that the solutions are applicable also for Mobile IPv6
 (MIPv6) based networks.

 For background, the PMIPv6 specification as defined in RFC 5213 does
 not describe how to support multicast. Some forms of multicast
 support can, however, be built in the involved nodes by using
 existing capabilities of multicast protocols and the underlying
 mobility protocols. The working group has already documented how
 existing mechanisms can be used to support multicast, without
 requiring any additions or changes to message types and parameters
 specified in RFC 5213, and assuming an unmodified mobile host. The
 current goals of the working group relate to improving the
 efficiency of this base solution.

 IGMPv3/MLDv2 has been specified for wired networks with shared links.
 Mobile nodes have needs that are specific to wireless networks and
 mobility (e.g. entering a dormant mode to conserve battery power,
 minimizing the latency for joining and leaving a group in support of
 movement).

 In performing its work, the working group will work closely with
 both the mobility community (NETEXT WG) and the multicast community
 (MBONED WG). The group will consider both source specific multicast
 and any source multicast multicast models.

 Future work, subject to rechartering, may study/evaluate extensions
 to IGMPv3/MLDv2 to support better operation in mobile environments.

Goals and Milestones:

Nov 2010 - Initial version of a document on how to tune IGMPv3/MLDv2 for

           mobility
Apr 2011 - Submit a document on how to tune IGMPv3/MLDv2 for mobility, 
           for publication as either Informational or Best Current 
           Practice
Jun 2011 - Initial version of document on PMIPv6 routing optimizations 
           to avoid tunnel convergence problem
Nov 2011 - Initial version of document on PMIPv6 handover optimizations
Nov 2011 - Initial version of document on PMIPv6 multicast source 
           mobility solution
Jun 2012 - Submit PMIPv6 routing optimizations document to IESG for 
           publication as Internet Standard
Nov 2012 - Submit PMIPv6 handover optimizations document to IESG for 
           publication as Internet Standard
Nov 2012 - Submit PMIPv6 multicast source mobility solution to IESG for 
           publication as Internet Standard
Dec 2012 - Decision to include additional optimization work involving 
           extensions to IGMPv3 or MLDv2
Dec 2012 - Recharter based on the above decisions (or close the group if 
           no new work is needed)