Subject: Protocol Action: 'Sieve Notification Using Presence Information' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sieve-notify-presence-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:42:06 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Sieve Notification Using Presence Information'
  (draft-ietf-sieve-notify-presence-04.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sieve-notify-presence/

Technical Summary

   The SIEVE notify presence extension adds an option to the notify
   extension to allow sending SIEVE notifications based on
   the presence status of the owner of the SIEVE script.

   The security considerations section covers several identified
   security concerns.

Working Group Summary

   This document has been discussed and reviewed in the SIEVE Working
   Group. There is consensus in the Working Group to publish this
   document as a Proposed Standard.

Document Quality

   Several implementers have indicated they will implement
   this extension as time allows.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
   AD: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

RFC Editor Note

Please add a reference to RFC 3921 in the first line of section 2 paragraph 3:

   Note that, while the items below are documented as similar to items in XMPP [RFC3921].

Please add the following text to the end of the 3rd paragraph of Section 4:

      When caching presence tests, the server must be careful not to violate
      access controls that the presence server might have.  Thus, cached results
      MUST NOT be used outside the context in which they were retrieved.  If,
      for example, a script running on behalf of Adam requests presence information
      for Barbara, that information MAY be cached for a future script running on
      behalf of Adam, but MUST NOT be used to satisfy the same query in a script
      running on behalf of Cindy -- because the presence server will have to decide
      whether Cindy has access to that information.