Subject: Document Action: 'The Remote Framebuffer Protocol' to Informational RFC (draft-levine-rfb-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 13:03:16 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Remote Framebuffer Protocol'
  (draft-levine-rfb-03.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-levine-rfb/

Technical Summary

This document provides a specification of the existing widely deployed
Remote Framebuffer Protocol used in VNC (Virtual Network Computing). 

Working Group Summary

This is not the product of a WG. It was discussed in the AVT working
group as that group has expertise in real time media transport such as the
images and key events used by this protocol.

Document Quality

Variants of this protocol are widely implemented by many vendors. 

Personnel

Cullen Jennings was the responsible Area Director for most of this document's
processing. Robert Sparks was the responsible Area Director for the remainder.

RFC Editor Note (applies to version -03) :

Please add the following paragraph to the end of section 8 just before the start of section 8.1 

NEW
   Future assignments to the IANA registries created by this specification 
   are to be made through either "Expert Review" or "IESG Approval" (if 
   there is no currently appointed expert) as defined in RFC 5226. 

and please add a normative reference to RFC 5226

Please make the following change to the IANA Considerations section:

OLD:
  IANA has allocated port 5900 to the RFB protocol; the other port
  numbers have been used informally and do not match IANA
  allocations.
NEW:
 IANA has allocated port 5900 to the RFB protocol. The other port
 numbers mentioned in section 2 are called out for historical context
 and do not match IANA allocations.