Subject: RFC 6085 on Address Mapping of IPv6 Multicast Packets on Ethernet

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:33:45 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6085

        Title:      Address Mapping of IPv6 Multicast 
                    Packets on Ethernet 
        Author:     S. Gundavelli, M. Townsley,
                    O. Troan, W. Dec
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      3
        Characters: 4968
        Updates:    RFC2464

        I-D Tag:    draft-gundavelli-v6ops-l2-unicast-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6085.txt

When transmitting an IPv6 packet with a multicast destination
address, the IPv6 destination address is mapped to an Ethernet
link-layer multicast address.  This document clarifies that a mapping of
an IPv6 packet with a multicast destination address may in some
circumstances map to an Ethernet link-layer unicast address.  
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC