Subject: Document Action: 'Known Issues and Best Practices for the Use of Long Polling and Streaming in Bidirectional HTTP' to Informational RFC (draft-loreto-http-bidirectional-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 12:38:07 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Known Issues and Best Practices for the Use of Long Polling and
   Streaming in Bidirectional HTTP'
  (draft-loreto-http-bidirectional-07.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-loreto-http-bidirectional/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the known issues and the best practices
   related to the use of HTTP, as it exists today, to enable
   "bidirectional HTTP".  The two existing mechanisms, called "HTTP long
   polling" and "HTTP streaming" are described.

Working Group Summary

   This document was not the product of a working group, but
   participants in HTTPBIS and HYBI were active in its creation and
   later discussion.

Document Quality

   This document provides an analysis of existing uses of HTTP
   for bidirectional communication.  The document has been reviewed by
   HTTP experts (inc. Mark Nottingham) and it includes information based
   on experience with frameworks that implement these mechanisms (Greg
   Wilkins develops one such framework).

Personnel

   Martin Thomson is the Document Shepherd. Alexey Melnikov
   is the Responsible Area Director.