Subject: Protocol Action: 'Authentication-Results Registration For Vouch By Reference Results' to Proposed Standard (draft-kucherawy-authres-vbr-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:58:46 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Authentication-Results Registration For Vouch By Reference Results'
  (draft-kucherawy-authres-vbr-04.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Alexey Melnikov.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kucherawy-authres-vbr/

Technical Summary

   RFC 5451 defined a new header field for electronic mail messages
   that presents the results of a message authentication effort in a
   machine-readable format.  In the interim, a proposal for rudimentary
   domain-level reputation called Vouch By Reference [RFC 5518] was
   published and is now beginning to see popular use.

   This memo updates the registry of properties in Authentication-
   Results: message header fields to allow relaying of the results of a
   Vouch By Reference query.

Working Group Summary 

   Nothing to note. This is not a WG document.

Document Quality 

   This has been implemented for some time in opendkim, an open-source
   package supported by the document author.  The Spamhaus domain
   whitelist is providing market pressure for more implementations,
   as the authentication-results header field itself receives wider deployment.

Personnel

   Barry Leiba is the Document Shepherd for this document.
   Alexey Melnikov is the Responsible Area Director.