Subject: RFC 6074 on Provisioning, Auto-Discovery, and Signaling in Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (L2VPNs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:32:56 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6074

        Title:      Provisioning, Auto-Discovery, and Signaling in 
                    Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (L2VPNs) 
        Author:     E. Rosen, B. Davie,
                    V. Radoaca, W. Luo
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 76543
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6074.txt

Provider Provisioned Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (L2VPNs) may
have different "provisioning models", i.e., models for what
information needs to be configured in what entities.  Once
configured, the provisioning information is distributed by a
"discovery process".  When the discovery process is complete, a
signaling protocol is automatically invoked to set up the mesh of
pseudowires (PWs) that form the (virtual) backbone of the L2VPN.
This document specifies a number of L2VPN provisioning models, and
further specifies the semantic structure of the endpoint identifiers
required by each model.  It discusses the distribution of these
identifiers by the discovery process, especially when discovery is
based on the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP).  It then specifies how
the endpoint identifiers are carried in the two signaling protocols
that are used to set up PWs, the Label Distribution Protocol (LDP),
and the Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol version 3 (L2TPv3).  [STANDARDS-
TRACK]

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC