Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for Scalable Video Coding' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avt-rtp-svc-27.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 06:49:42 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTP Payload Format for Scalable Video Coding'
  (draft-ietf-avt-rtp-svc-27.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Payloads
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-svc/

Technical Summary

This memo describes an RTP payload format for Scalable Video Coding
  (SVC) as defined in Annex G of ITU-T Recommendation H.264, which is
technically identical to Amendment 3 of ISO/IEC International Standard
14496-10.  The RTP payload format allows for packetization of one or more
Network Abstraction Layer (NAL) units in each RTP  packet payload, as well
as fragmentation of a NAL unit in multiple  RTP packets.  Furthermore, it
supports transmission of an SVC stream
  over a single as well as multiple RTP sessions.  The payload format
  defines a new media subtype name "H264-SVC", but is still backwards
  compatible to [I-D.ietf-avt-rtp-rfc3984bis] since the base layer,
  when encapsulated in its own RTP stream, must use the H.264 media
  subtype name ("H264") and the packetization method specified in [I-
  D.ietf-avt-rtp-rfc3984bis].  The payload format has wide
  applicability in videoconferencing, Internet video streaming, and
  high bit-rate entertainment-quality video, among others.

Working Group Summary

There was a very heated discussion before the two proposals were merged.
Once agreement was achieved the work progress smoothly using a design team.

The registration template was posted to [email-masked] for 2 weeks review:
 <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-types/current/msg00996.html>

Document Quality

This is a payload specification for H.264 scalable video coding. It is being
used in some streaming and video conferencing applications. It is referenced
by other standard bodies.

Personnel

Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Who is 
the Responsible Area Director?

Roni Even is the document shepherd.
The responsible area director is Gonzalo Camarillo.