Subject: Protocol Action: 'TRILL Use of IS-IS' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-isis-trill-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 09:10:02 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL Use of IS-IS'
  (draft-ietf-isis-trill-05.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-trill/

Technical Summary

   The IETF has standardized the TRILL protocol, which provides
   transparent Layer 2 forwarding using encapsulation with a hop count
   and IS-IS link state routing. This document specifies the data
   formats and code points for the IS-IS extensions to support TRILL.

Working Group Summary

   This document, draft-ietf-isis-ieee-aq and draft-ietf-isis-layer2 were 
   originally one document.Through the review process it was 
   determined that a split into a base document (draft-ietf-isis-layer2) 
   and draft-ietf-isis-trill and draft-ietf-isis-ieee-aq into separate
   documents. One solution to pass layer2 information in ISIS or at 
   least one specification was desired but, the IEEE and IETF have each
   defined their own mechanism. Given the divergence of solutions, a
   specification split was appropriate.

Document Quality

   There are known interoperable implementations of this technology 
   based in earlier versions of the drafts. Earlier versions were based
   on additional PDUs in the ISIS protocol which have been changed 
   to TLVs. It is reasonable that implementors can make the change 
   and that earlier interoperation demonstrates that the solution 
   is viable. 

Personnel

   David Ward is the Document Shepherd for this document.
   Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.