Subject: Document Action: 'US Secure Hash Algorithms (SHA and SHA based HMAC and HKDF)' to Informational RFC (draft-eastlake-sha2b-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:35:42 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'US Secure Hash Algorithms (SHA and SHA based HMAC and HKDF)'
  (draft-eastlake-sha2b-07.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eastlake-sha2b/

Technical Summary

  The United States of America has adopted a suite of secure hash
  algorithms (SHAs), including four beyond SHA-1, as part of a Federal
  Information Processing Standard (FIPS), specifically SHA-224, SHA-256,
  SHA-384, and SHA-512.  This document makes open source code performing
  the SHA hash functions conveniently available to the Internet
  community. The sample code supports input strings of arbitrary bit
  length. Much of the text herein was adapted by the authors from FIPS
  180-2.

  This document replaces RFC 4634, fixing errata and adding code for an
  HMAC-based extract-and-expand key derivation function, HKDF (RFC
  5869). As with RFC 4634, code to perform SHA based HMACs is also
  included.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not the product of any IETF WG.

Document Quality

  The document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.