Subject: RFC 6094 on Summary of Cryptographic Authentication Algorithm Implementation Requirements for Routing Protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 20:04:05 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6094

        Title:      Summary of Cryptographic Authentication Algorithm 
                    Implementation Requirements for Routing Protocols 
        Author:     M. Bhatia, V. Manral
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 24583
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsec-igp-crypto-requirements-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6094.txt

The routing protocols Open Shortest Path First version 2 (OSPFv2),
Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS), and Routing
Information Protocol (RIP) currently define cleartext and MD5
(Message Digest 5) methods for authenticating protocol packets.
Recently, effort has been made to add support for the SHA (Secure
Hash Algorithm) family of hash functions for the purpose of
authenticating routing protocol packets for RIP, IS-IS, and OSPF.

To encourage interoperability between disparate implementations, it
is imperative that we specify the expected minimal set of algorithms,
thereby ensuring that there is at least one algorithm that all
implementations will have in common.

Similarly, RIP for IPv6 (RIPng) and OSPFv3 support IPsec algorithms
for authenticating their protocol packets.

This document examines the current set of available algorithms, with
interoperability and effective cryptographic authentication
protection being the principal considerations.  Cryptographic
authentication of these routing protocols requires the availability
of the same algorithms in disparate implementations.  It is desirable
that newly specified algorithms should be implemented and available
in routing protocol implementations because they may be promoted to
requirements at some future time.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC