Subject: RFC 6148 on DHCPv4 Lease Query by Relay Agent Remote ID

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:49:07 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6148

        Title:      DHCPv4 Lease Query by Relay 
                    Agent Remote ID 
        Author:     P. Kurapati, R. Desetti,
                    B. Joshi
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 26185
        Updates:    RFC4388

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-by-remote-id-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6148.txt

Some relay agents extract lease information from the DHCP messages
exchanged between the client and DHCP server.  This lease information
is used by relay agents for various purposes like antispoofing and
prevention of flooding.  RFC 4388 defines a mechanism for relay
agents to retrieve the lease information from the DHCP server when
this information is lost.  The existing lease query mechanism is
data-driven, which means that a relay agent can initiate the lease
query only when it starts receiving data to and from the clients.  In
certain scenarios, this model is not scalable.  This document first
looks at issues in the existing mechanism and then proposes a new
query type, query by Remote ID, to address these issues.
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC