Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:28:51 -0800 (PST)

The Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill) working group in
the Internet Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group
Chairs.

Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
  Donald Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
  Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  Address:        [email-masked]
  To Subscribe:   http://www.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge
  Archive:        http://www.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge

Description of Working Group:

The TRILL WG has specified a solution for shortest-path frame
routing in multi-hop IEEE 802.1-compliant Ethernet networks with
arbitrary topologies, using an existing link-state routing protocol
technology and encapsulation with a hop count.

The current work of the working group is around operational and
deployment support for the protocol. This includes a MIB module and
other pieces needed for operations, but also additional ways to
extend and optimize TRILL for the properties of the networks on
which it is deployed.

The WG will work on the following items:

(1) A MIB module for TRILL which specifies the unique pieces needed
for the protocol while reusing what is in the IS-IS MIB module and
the IEEE 802.1 MIB modules for pieces that are not unique to TRILL
(draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-mib).

(2) Development, within the TRILL protocol context, of requirements
and specifications for broadcast/multicast (multi-destination) frame
reduction; e.g., ARP/ND (Neighbor Discovery) reduction through
use of the TRILL ESADI protocol.

(3) Refinement of TRILL Header Options, as initially defined in
draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-protocol and specification of an initial
base set of options (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-options).

(4) Provide documentation for the handling of Operations,
Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) in networks using TRILL. Any
documentation will take into consideration any existing OAM
mechanisms that might apply to TRILL.

(5) Publish an implementation report for TRILL.

(6) Analyze use of IS-IS security in TRILL and determine if any work
is needed to accommodate the specific application of IS-IS security
in TRILL forwarding.

(7) Publish a description of the adjacency state machine in TRILL
(draft-ietf-trill-adj).

The trill WG will continue to work with other IETF working groups
such as the isis WG, and SDO groups such as IEEE 802.1 through
established inter-WG relationships and SDO liaison processes,
including early and WG last call review by the isis WG of documents
modifying the IS-IS protocol. The trill WG will have a Routing Area
Advisor for advice on the IS-IS protocol and liaison with the isis
WG. 

Goals and Milestones:

Done      Initial WG draft on VLAN Mapping 
          (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-vlan-mapping)
Done      Initial WG draft TRILL Header Options 
          (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-options)
Done      Initial WG draft on RBridge MIB module 
          (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-mib)
Done      Initial WG draft on trill adjacency state machine 
          (draft-ietf-trill-adj)
Feb 2011  Submit trill adjacency state machine to IESG for publication 
          as Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-adj)
Feb 2011  Submit RBridge MIB module to IESG for publication as Proposed 
          Standard (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-mib)
Mar 2011  Submit TRILL Header Options to IESG for publication as 
          Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-options)
Mar 2011  Initial WG draft on ARP/ND optimizations
Mar 2011  Initial WG draft on RBridge OAM (draft-bond-trill-rbridge-oam)
May 2011  Submit TRILL ARP/ND optimizations to IESG for publication as 
          Proposed Standard
Jun 2011  Submit RBridge support of Data Center Bridging to IESG for 
          publication as Proposed Standard 
          (draft-eastlake-trill-rbridge-dcb)
Jul 2011  Submit RBridge OAM to IESG for publication as Proposed 
          Standard
Jul 2012  Re-charter or shut down the WG