Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Framework for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Session Policies' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sip-session-policy-framework-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 07:18:36 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Framework for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Session Policies'
  (draft-ietf-sip-session-policy-framework-10.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sip-session-policy-framework/

Technical summary.

Proxy servers play a central role as an intermediary in the Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) as they define and impact policies on call
routing, rendezvous, and other call features.  This document specifies a
framework for SIP session policies that provides a standard mechanism by
which a proxy can define or influence policies on sessions, such as the
codecs or media types to be used.  It defines a model, an overall
architecture and new protocol mechanisms for session policies.

Working group summary.

There is consensus in the working group to publish this document. The
early stimulus for this work came from discussions at the joint IETF/3GPP
workshop held in San Francisco in January 2003.

Document Quality

This document was refined by several in-depth cross-area reviews.

Personnel

The document shepherd for this document is Keith Drage. The responsible
Area Director is Robert Sparks.