Subject: RFC 6108 on Comcast's Web Notification System Design

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:00:20 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6108

        Title:      Comcast's Web Notification System Design 
        Author:     C. Chung, A. Kasyanov,
                    J. Livingood, N. Mody,
                    B. Van Lieu
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       February 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 55329
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-livingood-web-notification-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6108.txt

The objective of this document is to describe a method of providing
critical end-user notifications to web browsers, which has been
deployed by Comcast, an Internet Service Provider (ISP).  Such a
notification system is being used to provide near-immediate
notifications to customers, such as to warn them that their traffic
exhibits patterns that are indicative of malware or virus infection.
There are other proprietary systems that can perform such
notifications, but those systems utilize Deep Packet Inspection (DPI)
technology.  In contrast to DPI, this document describes a system
that does not rely upon DPI, and is instead based in open IETF
standards and open source applications.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC