Subject: RFC 6055 on IAB Thoughts on Encodings for Internationalized Domain Names

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:19:53 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6055

        Title:      IAB Thoughts on Encodings for 
                    Internationalized Domain Names 
        Author:     D. Thaler, J. Klensin,
                    S. Cheshire
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       February 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 58799
        Updates:    RFC2130

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-idn-encoding-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6055.txt

This document explores issues with Internationalized Domain Names
(IDNs) that result from the use of various encoding schemes such as
UTF-8 and the ASCII-Compatible Encoding produced by the Punycode
algorithm.  It focuses on the importance of agreeing on a single
encoding and how complicated the state of affairs ends up being as a
result of using different encodings today.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC