Subject: Document Action: 'IP Flow Anonymization Support' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-ipfix-anon-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:07:14 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IP Flow Anonymization Support'
  (draft-ietf-ipfix-anon-06.txt) as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the IP Flow Information Export Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipfix-anon/

Technical Summary

   This document describes anonymisation techniques for IP flow data and
   the export of anonymised data using the IPFIX protocol.  It
   categorizes common anonymisation schemes and defines the parameters
   needed to describe them.  It provides guidelines for the
   implementation of anonymised data export and storage over IPFIX, and
   describes an information model and Options-based method for
   anonymisation metadata export within the IPFIX protocol or storage in
   IPFIX Files

Working Group Summary

   This draft was initiated by WG members from ETH Zurich, and
   reviewed by other members, mostly European, who have similar research
   interests.  Although this seems a somewhat complicated way to transmit
   and store anonymised data, it is believed to be a significant step towards
   a common way to carry metadata about how the
   anonymisation was done along with the data itself.  Although there was
   considerable discussion within the working group, consensus was
   reached without any problems.

Document Quality

   This is an Experimental document, intended for the Network Research and
   Network Security communities.  It is submitted as an Experimental
   document as a way of encouraging multiple implementations,
   in order to gain experience with it.  When sufficient experience will be gained
   with this, it mahy be brought back to the Working Group to be considered
   as a new Standards Track work item.

Personnel

   Nevil Brownlee is the Document Shepherd. Dan Romascanu is the 
   Responsible Area Director.