Subject: Protocol Action: 'IS-IS Registry Extension for Purges' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-isis-reg-purge-01.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:19:12 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IS-IS Registry Extension for Purges'
  (draft-ietf-isis-reg-purge-01.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-reg-purge/

Note that I have re-issued a LC on this document in response to the
following Gen-Art Note

"Procedural concern: The last call did not included the note that for 
historical reasons the registry this document updates was established 
by an Informational RFC (RFC 3563) and therefore this Proposed 
Standard has a normative dependence upon that Informationl RFC.  
(The downref notice.) I can not imagine anyone objecting to the downref, 
but I thought our procedures require that the notice be included. "

Technical Summary

At present an IS-IS purges do not contain any information
identifying the Intermediate System (IS) that generates the purge.
This makes it difficult to locate the source IS.

To address this issue, the purge-tlv document defines a TLV
to be added to purges to record the system ID of the IS generating it. 
Since normal LSP flooding does not change LSP contents, 
this TLV should propagate with the purge.

This RFC documents which TLVs can appear in different types of IS-IS
PDUs, but does not document which TLVs can be found in zero Remaining
Lifetime LSP (a.k.a., purges). This RFC extends the existing registry to
record the set of TLVs that are permissible in purges.

Working Group Summary

This document has working group consensus.

Document Quality

There is one known implementation 

Personnel

   David Ward is the Document Shepherd for this document.
   Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Please add at the end of the abstract:

This document updates RFC3563, RFC5304 and 5310.