Subject: Protocol Action: 'Use of the Content-Disposition Header Field in the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 01:34:01 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Use of the Content-Disposition Header Field in the Hypertext Transfer
   Protocol (HTTP)'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-09.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp/

Technical Summary

   RFC 2616 defines the Content-Disposition response header field,
   but points out that it is not part of the HTTP/1.1 Standard.
   This specification takes over the definition and registration of
   Content-Disposition, as used in HTTP, and clarifies
   internationalization aspects.

Working Group Summary

   During Last Call, it was asserted that the draft should also specify
   error handling for browsers in detail. We improved some aspects
   of this in ways that were compatible with existing behaviour,
   but did not attempt to proactively specify additional error handling,
   as we didn't see broad engagement in the discussion from implementers.
   This resolution was not contentious. 

Document Quality

   There are many existing implementations;
   see <http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc2231/>.
   Based on public statements and bug activity, we believe that
   implementations will continue to improve.

Personnel

   Mark Nottingham is the Document Shepherd for this document.
   Alexey Melnikov is the Responsible Area Director.