Subject: RFC 6201 on Device Reset Characterization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 02:47:27 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6201

        Title:      Device Reset Characterization 
        Author:     R. Asati, C. Pignataro,
                    F. Calabria, C. Olvera
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 34695
        Updates:    RFC1242, RFC2544

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bmwg-reset-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6201.txt

An operational forwarding device may need to be restarted
(automatically or manually) for a variety of reasons, an event
called a "reset" in this document.  Since there may be an
interruption in the forwarding operation during a reset, it is
useful to know how long a device takes to resume the forwarding
operation.

This document specifies a methodology for characterizing reset (and
reset time) during benchmarking of forwarding devices and provides
clarity and consistency in reset test procedures beyond what is
specified in RFC 2544.  Therefore, it updates RFC 2544.  This document
also defines the benchmarking term "reset time" and, only in this,
updates RFC 1242.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC