Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: DNS Extensions (dnsext)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 10:22:16 -0800 (PST)

The DNS Extensions (dnsext) working group in the Internet Area of the IETF
has been rechartered.  For additional information, please contact the Area
Directors or the working group Chairs.

DNS Extensions (dnsext)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
 Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
 Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Directors:
 Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
 Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
 Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
 Address:       [email-masked]
 To Subscribe:  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsext
 Archive:       http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsext/

Description of Working Group:

The DNS has a large installed base and repertoire of protocol
specifications. The DNSEXT working group will actively advance DNS
protocol-related RFCs on the standards track while thoroughly
reviewing further proposed extensions. The scope of the DNSEXT WG is
confined to the DNS protocol, particularly changes that affect DNS
protocols "on the wire" or the internal processing of DNS data. DNS
operations are out of scope for the WG.

The WG will consider work in the following areas:

* DNSSEC and TSIG/TKEY algorithm maintenance
* Mechanisms that complement, or are alternatives to, TSIG and SIG(0)
* Hardening DNS protocol and providing guidance to implementers
* Advancing existing DNS-related Proposed Standard RFCs to Draft/Full
  Standard
* Obsoleting DNS-related RFCs
* Improving DNS zone synchronization mechanisms
* Examining transport protocols, possibly adding new ones
* Mechanisms to alias DNS trees or parts thereof

Before formal adoption of any work item at least 5 working group
participants must publicly state that the item is within charter and
is a worthwhile item for further study.

The DNSEXT WG will conduct the specified RFC5395 review of RR
templates as they are posted, and EDNS0 Option templates if EDNS0-bis
updates registration requirements.

The WG will review DNS protocol related work which may originate
elsewhere in the IETF, including AD-sponsored submissions or drafts
in other working group.

Goals and Milestones:

Apr 2011      RFC3597-bis Unknown RR advanced to IESG for PS
Jun 2011      DNSKEY Registry fixes and allocation procedure advanced
              to IESG
Jun 2011      DNAME-bis to IESG
Oct 2011      DNSSEC Errata document to IESG
Jun 2011      EDNS0-bis update advanced to IESG
Aug 2011      Algorithm signaling document to IESG
Nov 2011      Requirements and current state survey document to IESG
              for publication 
Nov 2011      Decision about new protocol elements, if any
Dec 2011      If new protocol elements, recharter
Dec 2011      IXFR-only to IESG