Subject: RFC 6205 on Generalized Labels for Lambda-Switch-Capable (LSC) Label Switching Routers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 02:48:01 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6205

        Title:      Generalized Labels for Lambda-Switch-Capable (LSC) 
                    Label Switching Routers 
        Author:     T. Otani, Ed.,
                    D. Li, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 27749
        Updates:    RFC3471

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-g-694-lambda-labels-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6205.txt

Technology in the optical domain is constantly evolving, and, as a
consequence, new equipment providing lambda switching capability
has been developed and is currently being deployed.

Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) is a family of protocols that can be
used to operate networks built from a range of technologies
including wavelength (or lambda) switching.  For this purpose,
GMPLS defined a wavelength label as only having significance
between two neighbors.  Global wavelength semantics are not
considered.

In order to facilitate interoperability in a network composed of
next generation lambda-switch-capable equipment, this document
defines a standard lambda label format that is compliant with
the Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) and Coarse Wavelength
Division Multiplexing (CWDM) grids defined by the International
Telecommunication Union Telecommunication Standardization Sector.
The label format defined in this document can be used in GMPLS
signaling and routing protocols.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC