Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Procedures for the Management of the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry' to BCP (draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:14:04 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Procedures for the
   Management of the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number
   Registry'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-10.txt) as a BCP

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports/

Technical Summary

   This document defines the procedures that the Internet Assigned
   Numbers Authority (IANA) uses when handling assignment and other
   requests related to the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port
   Number Registry. It also discusses the rationale and principles
   behind these procedures and how they facilitate the long-term
   sustainability of the registry. This document updates IANA's
   procedures by obsoleting the previous procedures for TCP and UDP
   and updates procedures for other IETF transports. It also updates
   the DNS SRV specification

Working Group Summary

   This document is a product of the TSVWG, and was reviewed in working
   group meetings and via the tsvwg list.

Document Quality

   The document was reviewed by the WG, and reviewed by the group. In
   particular, Alfred Hoenes ([email-masked]) and Allison Mankin
   ([email-masked]) contributed test, ideas and reviews. The document has
   also received an AD review, which has been posted to the WG.

Personnel

   Gorry Fairhurst is the Document Shepherd for this document.
   Alexey Melnikov is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Add to the end of Introduction a new paragraph:

   At the time of writing of this document the internal procedures of Expert Review
   teams, including that of IANA's port review team, are not documented in
   any RFC and this document doesn't change that.

In Section 7.2, 1st paragraph, last sentence:

OLD:
   These principles and general advice to users on
   port use are expected to change over time and are therefore
   documented separately, please see [I-D.touch-tsvwg-port-use].

NEW:
   These principles and general advice to users on
   port use are expected to change over time.

In Section 7.2, 5th paragraph:

OLD:
o  IANA strives to assign only one assigned port number per service
      or application

NEW:
o  IANA strives to assign only one assigned port number per service
      or application

Note: At the time of writing of this document there is no IETF consensus
on when it is appropriate to use a second port for an insecure version of
a protocol.

In Section 7.2, 13th paragraphs:

OLD:
   These principles of port conservation are explained further in
   [I-D.touch-tsvwg-port-use].  That document explains in further detail
   how ports are used in various ways, notably:

NEW:
   Ports are used in various ways, notably:

In Section 8.1.1, 13th paragraph, last sentence:

OLD:
      Note that
      the applicant MUST NOT use the requested port prior to the
      completion of the assignment.

NEW:
      Note that the applicant MUST NOT use the requested port
      in implementations deployed for use on the public Internet prior to the
      completion of the assignment, because there is no guaranty that
      IANA will assign the requested port.

Please make the following reference Normative:

 [RFC4960]  Stewart, R., "Stream Control Transmission Protocol",
	              RFC 4960, September 2007.

Please delete the following Informative reference:

  [I-D.touch-tsvwg-port-use]