Subject: RFC 6182 on Architectural Guidelines for Multipath TCP Development

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:24:05 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6182

        Title:      Architectural Guidelines for Multipath TCP 
                    Development 
        Author:     A. Ford, C. Raiciu,
                    M. Handley, S. Barre,
                    J. Iyengar
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 68772
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mptcp-architecture-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6182.txt

Hosts are often connected by multiple paths, but TCP restricts
communications to a single path per transport connection.  Resource
usage within the network would be more efficient were these multiple
paths able to be used concurrently.  This should enhance user
experience through improved resilience to network failure and higher
throughput.

This document outlines architectural guidelines for the development
of a Multipath Transport Protocol, with references to how these
architectural components come together in the development of a
Multipath TCP (MPTCP).  This document lists certain high-level design
decisions that provide foundations for the design of the MPTCP
protocol, based upon these architectural requirements.  This document 
is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Multipath TCP Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC