Subject: RFC 6217 on Regional Broadcast Using an Atmospheric Link Layer

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:57:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6217

        Title:      Regional Broadcast Using an Atmospheric 
                    Link Layer 
        Author:     T. Ritter
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       1 April 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 19546
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ritter-regional-bcast-atmospheric-linklayer-00.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6217.txt

Broadcasting is a technology that has been largely discarded in
favor of technologies like multicast.  This document builds on
RFC 919 and describes a more efficient routing mechanism for
broadcast packets destined for multiple Local Area Networks (LANs)
or Metropolitan Area Networks (MANs) using an alternative link
layer.  It significantly reduces congestion on network equipment
and does not require additional physical infrastructure investment.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC