Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extensible Markup Language Evidence Record Syntax' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:16:35 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Extensible Markup Language Evidence Record Syntax'
  (draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers-11.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Long-Term Archive and Notary Services
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ltans-xmlers/

Technical Summary

   In many scenarios, users must be able to demonstrate the (time of) existence,
   integrity and validity of data including signed data for long or undetermined
   periods of time. This document specifies XML syntax and processing rules for
   creating evidence for  long-term non-repudiation of existence of data.
   ERS-XML incorporates alternative syntax  and processing rules to ASN.1
   ERS syntax by using XML language.

Working Group Summary

   The WG process was uneventful. The document is an XML
   equivalent of ERS [RFC4998].

   Author's Note: some of the authors of the document are not native
   English speakers.  There was review and correction of language/grammar
   and the AD suggested at the last WG meeting (in Maastricht) that it is ok
   to submit the draft for IETF LC and leverage  the superior professional
   editing skills of the RFC editor for final language adjustments if necessary.

Document Quality

 There are a few existing implementations of the protocol.
 The specification may pick-up further implementations after its release
 as RFC (i.e. when implementers can rely on it being stable).

Personnel

   Carl Wallace is the Document Shepherd.  Tim Polk is the 
   Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

The reference [TS-ENTRUST] is obsolete.  Please ensure the authors provide a
new stable reference before publication.