Subject: RFC 6043 on MIKEY-TICKET: Ticket-Based Modes of Key Distribution in Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:23:45 -0700 (PDT)

[Note: this announcement should have been sent on 3 March 2011.]

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6043

        Title:      MIKEY-TICKET: Ticket-Based Modes of Key 
                    Distribution in Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY) 
        Author:     J. Mattsson, T. Tian
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      58
        Characters: 139516
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-mattsson-mikey-ticket-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6043.txt

The Multimedia Internet KEYing (MIKEY) specification describes a key
management scheme for real-time applications.  In this document, we
note that the currently defined MIKEY modes are insufficient to
address deployment scenarios built around a centralized key
management service.  Interest in such deployments is increasing.
Therefore, a set of new MIKEY modes that work well in such scenarios
are defined.  The new modes use a trusted key management service and
a ticket concept, similar to that in Kerberos.  The new modes also
support features used by many existing applications, where the exact
identity of the other endpoint may not be known at the start of the
communication session.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC