Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for MIDI' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-payload-rfc4695-bis-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:01:52 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTP Payload Format for MIDI'
  (draft-ietf-payload-rfc4695-bis-02.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Payloads
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-payload-rfc4695-bis/

  Technical Summary

This memo describes a Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) payload
format for the MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) command
language.  The format encodes all commands that may legally appear on a
MIDI 1.0 DIN cable.  The format is suitable for interactive
applications (such as network musical performance) and content-
delivery applications (such as file streaming).  The format may be
used over unicast and multicast UDP and TCP, and it defines tools for
graceful recovery from packet loss.  Stream behavior, including the
MIDI rendering method, may be customized during session setup.  The
format also serves as a mode for the mpeg4-generic format, to support
the MPEG 4 Audio Object Types for General MIDI, Downloadable Sounds
Level 2, and Structured Audio.

    Working Group Summary

The first version of the document came out in 2007 and the document was
kept alive in order to capture any errata that will be discovered. The
authors now feel that the implementations are stable and that it is time
to publish the update.

    Document Quality

There are existing implementations and this update for RFC 4695 is based
on issues that were found by implementers.