Subject: RFC 6181 on Threat Analysis for TCP Extensions for Multipath Operation with Multiple Addresses

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:35:35 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6181

        Title:      Threat Analysis for TCP Extensions 
                    for Multipath Operation with Multiple Addresses 
        Author:     M. Bagnulo
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 44251
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mptcp-threat-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6181.txt

Multipath TCP (MPTCP for short) describes the extensions proposed for
TCP so that endpoints of a given TCP connection can use multiple
paths to exchange data.  Such extensions enable the exchange of
segments using different source-destination address pairs, resulting
in the capability of using multiple paths in a significant number of
scenarios.  Some level of multihoming and mobility support can be
achieved through these extensions.  However, the support for multiple
IP addresses per endpoint may have implications on the security of
the resulting MPTCP.  This note includes a threat analysis for MPTCP.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Multipath TCP Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC