Subject: Protocol Action: 'Compression Format for IPv6 Datagrams in Low Power and Lossy Networks (6LoWPAN)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6lowpan-hc-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:24:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Compression Format for IPv6 Datagrams in Low Power and Lossy Networks
   (6LoWPAN)'
  (draft-ietf-6lowpan-hc-15.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 over Low power WPAN Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lowpan-hc/

Technical Summary

This document specifies an IPv6 header compression format for IPv6
packet delivery in 6LoWPAN networks that replaces the header
compression format specified in RFC 4944.  The compression format
relies on shared context to allow compression of arbitrary prefixes.
(How the information is maintained in that shared context is out of
scope; among others, this information can be distributed throughout
the 6LoWPAN using the 6LoWPAN-ND protocol.)  This document specifies
compression of multicast addresses and a framework for compressing
next headers.  UDP header compression is specified within this
framework.

Working Group Summary

This document represents the consensus of the 6LoWPAN community to
deprecate the header compression content of RFC 4944 and replace it
with a new specification.  There has been strong consensus that the
compression of arbitrary prefixes is sufficiently important to justify
this significant change.

Document Quality

The document is a product of the 6LoWPAN working group and has been
reviewed in detail by a significant number of 6LoWPAN working group
members.  The principal content of the document has been technically
stable for about a year, during which certain fringe cases were
identified by implementers and addressed in minor updates to the
specification.  The specification has been picked up widely in the
6LoWPAN community and has been subject to extensive interoperability
testing in vendor organizations such as ZigBee and IPSO.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>.  The
responsible AD is Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following changes in section 4.3.2:

OLD:

   The
   Upper Layer MAY only provide the authorization in the following
   cases:

NEW:

   The Upper Layer MUST NOT provide the authorization unless one of the
   the following cases is satisfied:

OLD:

   The Upper Layer MUST NOT provide the authorization when neither of
   the above two cases applies.

NEW:

   (delete sentence)

OLD:

    A compressor MUST verify the UDP Checksum before it is elided and
    SHOULD ensure that the additional integrity check is in place before
    verifying and eliding the checksum.
 
NEW:
    
    A compressor MUST verify the UDP Checksum before it is elided and
    MUST ensure that the additional integrity check is in place before
    verifying and eliding the checksum.