Subject: RFC 6189 on ZRTP: Media Path Key Agreement for Unicast Secure RTP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 12:20:33 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6189

        Title:      ZRTP: Media Path Key Agreement 
                    for Unicast Secure RTP 
        Author:     P. Zimmermann, A. Johnston, Ed.,
                    J. Callas
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      115
        Characters: 293784
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-zimmermann-avt-zrtp-22.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6189.txt

This document defines ZRTP, a protocol for media path Diffie-Hellman
exchange to agree on a session key and parameters for establishing
unicast Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) sessions for Voice
over IP (VoIP) applications.  The ZRTP protocol is media path keying
because it is multiplexed on the same port as RTP and does not
require support in the signaling protocol.  ZRTP does not assume a
Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) or require the complexity of
certificates in end devices.  For the media session, ZRTP provides
confidentiality, protection against man-in-the-middle (MiTM) attacks,
and, in cases where the signaling protocol provides end-to-end
integrity protection, authentication.  ZRTP can utilize a Session
Description Protocol (SDP) attribute to provide discovery and
authentication through the signaling channel.  To provide best effort
SRTP, ZRTP utilizes normal RTP/AVP (Audio-Visual Profile) profiles.
ZRTP secures media sessions that include a voice media stream and can
also secure media sessions that do not include voice by using an
optional digital signature.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC