Subject: Protocol Action: 'IS-IS Extensions Supporting IEEE 802.1aq Shortest Path Bridging' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-isis-ieee-aq-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 06:08:23 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IS-IS Extensions Supporting IEEE 802.1aq Shortest Path Bridging'
  (draft-ietf-isis-ieee-aq-05.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-ieee-aq/

Technical Summary

802.1aq Shortest Path Bridging (SPB) is being standardized by the
IEEE as the next step in the evolution of the various spanning tree
and registration protocols. 802.1aq allows for true shortest path
forwarding in a mesh network context utilizing multiple equal cost
paths. This permits it to support much larger layer 2 topologies,
with faster convergence, and vastly improved use of the mesh
topology. Combined with this is single point provisioning for
logical connectivity membership (E-LINE/E-LAN/E-TREE etc).

The control protocol for 802.1aq is IS-IS augmented with a
small number of TLVs while the encapsulating data paths are
respectively 802.1ad (Provider Bridges) and 802.1ah (Provider
Backbone Bridges). This memo documents those TLVs while
providing some overview.

Note that 802.1aq requires no state machine or other substantive
changes to ISIS. It is an intention that 802.1aq be simply a new
NLPID and set of TLVs.

Working Group Summary

There are known, multiple implementations and there has been public
interoperability testing. An implementation report is forthcoming though
not part of this draft.

Document Quality

There are known, multiple implementations and there has been public
interoperability testing. An implementation report is forthcoming though not
part of this draft. 

Personnel

   David Ward is the Document Shepherd for this document.
   Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

As discussed at IETF80

Please will you proceed with this document to generate the final
text, including getting the document through auth48 and allocating
an RFCnumber. However then please hold the document until
the authors provide the definitive reference for [802.1aq].