Subject: RFC 6248 on RFC 4148 and the IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) Registry of Metrics Are Obsolete

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:26:37 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6248

        Title:      RFC 4148 and the IP Performance Metrics (IPPM)
                    Registry of Metrics Are Obsolete 
        Author:     A. Morton
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 10192
        Obsoletes:  RFC4148
        Updates:    RFC4737, RFC5560, RFC5644, RFC6049

        I-D Tag:    draft-morton-ippm-rfc4148-obsolete-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6248.txt

This memo reclassifies RFC 4148, "IP Performance Metrics (IPPM)
Metrics Registry", as Obsolete, and withdraws the IANA IPPM Metrics
Registry itself from use because it is obsolete.  The current
registry structure has been found to be insufficiently detailed to
uniquely identify IPPM metrics.  Despite apparent efforts to find
current or even future users, no one responded to the call for
interest in the RFC 4148 registry during the second half of 2010.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC