Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Quick Crash Detection Method for IKE' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipsecme-failure-detection-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 06:33:13 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Quick Crash Detection Method for IKE'
  (draft-ietf-ipsecme-failure-detection-08.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and
Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Sean Turner and Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-failure-detection/

Technical Summary

   When an IPsec tunnel between two IKEv2 peers is
   disconnected due to a restart of one peer, it can take
   as much as several minutes for the other peer to discover
   that the reboot has occurred. This delays the recovery
   of the tunnel. This document describes an IKEv2
   extension that allows discovery of the reboot almost
   immediately after the rebooted system is active again.

Working Group Summary

   There was consensus both that this is a problem that
   needs to be solved and for the proposed solution.

Document Quality

   Some vendors expressed interest in implementing this in their
   IPsec gateways. 

Personnel

   Paul Hoffman ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
   Sean Turner ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.
   Tero Kivinen ([email-masked]) is the expert reviewer.