Subject: RFC 6220 on Defining the Role and Function of IETF Protocol Parameter Registry Operators

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:26:05 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6220

        Title:      Defining the Role and Function 
                    of IETF Protocol Parameter Registry Operators 
        Author:     D. McPherson, Ed.,
                    O. Kolkman, Ed.,
                    J. Klensin, Ed.,
                    G. Huston, Ed.,
                    Internet Architecture Board
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       April 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 23733
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-iana-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6220.txt

Many Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) protocols make use of commonly
defined values that are passed in messages or packets.  To ensure 
consistent interpretation of these values between independent 
implementations, there is a need to ensure that the values and associated 
semantic intent are uniquely defined.  The IETF uses registry functions to 
record assigned protocol parameter values and their associated semantic 
intentions.  For each IETF protocol parameter, it is current practice for 
the IETF to delegate the role of Protocol Parameter Registry Operator to a
nominated entity.  This document provides a description of, and the
requirements for, these delegated functions.  This document is not an 
Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational 
purposes.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC