Subject: RFC 6210 on Experiment: Hash Functions with Parameters in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and S/MIME

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:34:09 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6210

        Title:      Experiment: Hash Functions with Parameters 
                    in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) 
                    and S/MIME 
        Author:     J. Schaad
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 28339
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-schaad-smime-hash-experiment-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6210.txt

New hash algorithms are being developed that may include parameters.
Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) has not currently defined any hash
algorithms with parameters, but anecdotal evidence suggests that
defining one could cause major problems.  This document defines just
such an algorithm and describes how to use it so that experiments can
be run to find out how bad including hash parameters will be.  
This document defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet
community.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC