Subject: Document Action: 'Internet Protocols for the Smart Grid' to Informational RFC (draft-baker-ietf-core-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 08:41:54 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internet Protocols for the Smart Grid'
  (draft-baker-ietf-core-15.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-baker-ietf-core/

Technical Summary

  This document identifies the key protocols of the Internet Protocol
  Suite for use in the Smart Grid.  The target audience is those people
  seeking guidance on how to construct an appropriate Internet Protocol
  Suite profile for the Smart Grid.  In practice, such a profile would
  consist of selecting what is needed for Smart Grid deployment from the
  picture presented here.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not the product of any IETF WG.

  The community that developed this document was much larger than usual
  IETF documents.  It included IETF participants in the Smart Power
  Directorate and the SmartPower-Interest mail list, the Zigbee
  Alliance, US NIST experts, various power companies and their
  supporting vendors operating within the Smart Grid Interoperability
  Panel (SGIP), and corresponding contributors in Japan and Europe.

Document Quality

  The document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

  The Internet Protocol Suite is not uniformly used in the electrical
  grid, but is presumed and built on in a variety of communication
  specifications it uses.  Examples include IEC 61850, IEC 14908, ANSI
  C12.22, and quite a few others.  This document is an annotated
  bibliography of documents those communities have stated are useful.