Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Transport Area Working Group (tsvwg)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:20:45 -0700 (PDT)

The Transport Area Working Group (tsvwg) working group in the Transport 
Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, 
please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Transport Area Working Group (tsvwg)
------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  James Polk <[email-masked]>
  Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Directors:
  Wesley Eddy <[email-masked]>
  David Harrington <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Advisor:
  David Harrington <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe:       https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg
  Archive:            http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tsvwg/

Description of Working Group:

The Transport Area receives occasional proposals for the development and 
publication of RFCs dealing with transport topics that are not in scope 
of an existing working group or do not justify the formation of a new 
working group. TSVWG will serve as the forum for developing such work 
items in the IETF.

The TSVWG mailing list is an open discussion forum for such work items, 
when they arise. The working group meets if there are active proposals 
that require discussion. The working group milestones are updated as 
needed to reflect the current work items and their associated 
milestones.

The currently active TSVWG work items mostly fall under the
Following topics:

(A) Maintenance of the Stream Control Transmission Protocol
(SCTP), which involves bug fixes to the SCTP specifications and their 
progression along the standards track. This work item also includes a 
small number of modular extensions to SCTP. In order to maintain stable 
specifications, additional work on SCTP in TSVWG requires Area Director 
approval.

(B) Maintenance of the Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) which 
involves bug fixes to RSVP specifications and their progression along 
the standards track.  This work item may also include a small number 
of extensions to both RSVP and Integrated Services or advisory documents 
to address specific application scenarios. In order to maintain stable 
specifications, additional work on RSVP and/or Integrated Services in 
TSVWG requires Area Director approval.

(C) Maintenance of IP Differentiated Services (DiffServ) mechanisms, 
which involves mostly advisory documents on the use of DiffServ in 
specific application scenarios. Other work items related to DiffServ 
require Area Director approval.

(D) Selected other work items, which are mostly in TSVWG for historic 
reasons.

Additional work that does not fall under one of the above topics in 
TSVWG must satisfy four conditions:
(1) WG consensus on the suitability and projected quality of the 
proposed work item. 
(2) A core group of WG participants with sufficient energy and expertise 
to advance the work item according to the proposed schedule. 
(3) Commitment from the WG as a whole to provide sufficient and timely 
review of the proposed work item.
(4) Agreement by the ADs, who, depending on the scope of the proposed 
work item, may decide that an IESG review is needed first.

Goals and Milestones:
 
Done      Updates to RFC 793 to resolve conflict between diffserv and 
          TCP interpretation of IP Precedence submitted for publication 
          as Proposed Standard
Done      Addition to RFC 2018 to use TCP SACK for detecting unnecessary 
          retransmissions submitted for publication as Proposed Standard
Done      Submit I-D on TCP Congestion Window Validation to IESG for 
          consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done      Submit I-D on Computing TCP's Retransmission Timer to IESG for 
          consideration as a Proposed Standard.
Done      Submit revised ID for ECN to IESG for consideration as a 
          proposed standard
Done      Submit ID on UDP-lite to IESG for consideration as a proposed 
          standard
Done      TCP-Friendly Rate Control (TFRC) unicast congestion control 
          algorithm submitted to IESG for consideration as a proposed 
          standard
Done      Submit ID for SCTP unreliable transport mode to IESG for 
          consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done      Submit 'Alternate Semantics for the ECN Field' to IESG for 
          consideration as BCP
Done      Submit 'Aggregation of RSVP Reservations over MPLS TE/DS-TE 
          Tunnels' to IESG for consideration as PS
Done      Submit Submit 'QoS Signaling in a Nested Virtual Private 
          Network' to IESG for consideration as Informational
Done      Submit 'Generic Aggregate RSVP Reservations' to IESG for 
          consideration as PS
Done      Submit 'Quick-Start for TCP and IP' to IESG for consideration 
          as Experimental
Done      Submit 'TCP Extended Statistics MIB' to IESG for consideration 
          as PS
Done      Submit 'Authenticated Chunks for Stream Control Transmission 
          Protocol' to IESG as consideration as PS
Done      Submit 'Padding Chunk and Parameter for SCTP' to IESG for 
          consideration as PS
Done      Submit 'SCTP Dynamic Address Reconfiguration' to IESG for 
          consideration as Proposed Standard
Done      Submit revision of 'Stream Control Transmission Protocol' to 
          IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard
Done      Submit 'Security Attacks Found Against SCTP and Current 
          Countermeasures' to IESG for consideration as Informational
Done      Submit 'Specifying New Congestion Control Algorithms' to IESG 
          for consideration as Best Current Practice
Done      Submit 'Aggregation of DiffServ Service Classes' to IESG for 
          consideration as Informational
Done      Submit 'Explicit Congestion Marking in MPLS' to IESG for 
          consideration as Proposed Standard
Done      Submit 'User-Defined Errors for RSVP' to IESG for 
          consideration as Proposed Standard
Done      Submit 'RSVP Extensions for Emergency Services' to IESG for 
          consideration as Proposed Standard
Done      Submit 'DSCPs for Capacity-Admitted Traffic' to IESG for 
          consideration as Proposed Standard
Done      Submit 'RSVP Proxy Approaches' to IESG for consideration as 
          Informational
Done      Submit 'RSVP Extensions for Path-Triggered RSVP Receiver 
          Proxy' to IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard
Done      Submit 'UDP Usage Guidelines for Application Designers' to 
          IESG for consideration as Best Current Practice
Done      Request publication of 'Support for RSVP in Layer 3 VPNs' as 
          Proposed Standard RFC
Done      Submit 'Port Randomization for Transport Protocols' to the 
          IESG for consideration as a Best Current Practice
Done      Submit 'Applicability of Keying Methods for RSVP Security' to 
          IESG for consideration as Informational
Done      Request publication of 'IANA Procedures for the Transport 
          Protocol Port Number Space' as BCP RFC
Done      Request publication of 'Datagram Transport Layer Security for 
          Stream Control Transmission' as Proposed Standard
Done      Request publication of 'Layered Encapsulation of Congestion 
          Notification' as Proposed Standard
Done      Submit 'SCTP Chunk Flags Registration' to IESG for 
          consideration as a Proposed Standard
May 2011  Submit 'SCTP Stream Reconfiguration' to IESG for consideration 
          as a Proposed Standard
May 2011  Submit 'Sockets API Extensions for SCTP' to IESG for 
          consideration as Informational
Aug 2011  Submit 'Byte and Packet Congestion Notification' to IESG for 
          consideration as Informational RFC
Oct 2011  Submit 'Deprecation of ICMP Source Quench messages' to IESG 
          for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Dec 2011  Submit 'SCTP NAT Support' to IESG for consideration as a 
          Proposed Standard