Subject: RFC 6226 on PIM Group-to-Rendezvous-Point Mapping

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 17:20:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6226

        Title:      PIM Group-to-Rendezvous-Point Mapping 
        Author:     B. Joshi, A. Kessler,
                    D. McWalter
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 24092
        Updates:    RFC4601

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pim-group-rp-mapping-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6226.txt

Each Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) router in
a PIM domain that supports Any Source Multicast (ASM) maintains
Group-to-RP mappings that are used to identify a Rendezvous Point
(RP) for a specific multicast group.  PIM-SM has defined an algorithm
to choose a RP from the Group-to-RP mappings learned using various
mechanisms.  This algorithm does not consider the PIM mode and the
mechanism through which a Group-to-RP mapping was learned.

This document defines a standard algorithm to deterministically
choose between several Group-to-RP mappings for a specific group.
This document first explains the requirements to extend the
Group-to-RP mapping algorithm and then proposes the new algorithm.  
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC