Subject: RFC 6190 on RTP Payload Format for Scalable Video Coding

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 17:20:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6190

        Title:      RTP Payload Format for Scalable 
                    Video Coding 
        Author:     S. Wenger, Y.-K. Wang,
                    T. Schierl, A. Eleftheriadis
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      100
        Characters: 250504
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avt-rtp-svc-27.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6190.txt

This memo describes an RTP payload format for Scalable Video Coding
(SVC) as defined in Annex G of ITU-T Recommendation H.264, which is
technically identical to Amendment 3 of ISO/IEC International Standard
14496-10.  The RTP payload format allows for packetization of one or
more Network Abstraction Layer (NAL) units in each RTP packet payload,
as well as fragmentation of a NAL unit in multiple RTP packets.
Furthermore, it supports transmission of an SVC stream over a single
as well as multiple RTP sessions.  The payload format defines a new
media subtype name "H264-SVC", but is still backward compatible to RFC
6184 since the base layer, when encapsulated in its own RTP stream,
must use the H.264 media subtype name ("H264") and the packetization
method specified in RFC 6184.  The payload format has wide
applicability in videoconferencing, Internet video streaming, and
high-bitrate entertainment-quality video, among others.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Payloads Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC