Subject: Protocol Action: 'IANA Procedures for Maintaining the Timezone Database' to BCP (draft-lear-iana-timezone-database-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 11:34:59 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IANA Procedures for Maintaining the Timezone Database'
  (draft-lear-iana-timezone-database-04.txt) as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lear-iana-timezone-database/

Technical Summary

   Timezone information serves as a basic protocol element in protocols,
   such as the calendaring suite and DHCP.  The Timezone (TZ) Database
   specifies the indices used in various protocols, as well as their
   semantic meanings, for all localities throughout the world.  This
   database has been meticulously maintained and distributed free of
   charge by a group of volunteers, coordinated by a single volunteer
   who is now planning to retire.  This memo specifies IANA procedures
   involved with maintenance of the TZ database and associated code,
   including how to submit proposed updates, how decisions for inclusion
   of those updates are made, and the selection of a designated expert
   BY AND FOR the timezone community.  The intent of this memo is, to
   the extent possible, document existing practice and provide a means
   to ease succession.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of an IETF Working Group.

Document Quality

   This document has been discussed extensively in the IETF 
   Applications Area, as well as within the timezone community.
   There is rough consensus that the approach outlined in the 
   document is a valid direction for migrating the timezone
   database to a new home.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd / Responsible Area Director is
   Peter Saint-Andre.