Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-soc-overload-design-06.txt> (Design Considerations for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Overload Control) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:44:07 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the SIP Overload Control WG (soc) to
consider the following document:
- 'Design Considerations for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Overload
   Control'
  <draft-ietf-soc-overload-design-06.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-06-14. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Overload occurs in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) networks when
   SIP servers have insufficient resources to handle all SIP messages
   they receive.  Even though the SIP protocol provides a limited
   overload control mechanism through its 503 (Service Unavailable)
   response code, SIP servers are still vulnerable to overload.  This
   document discusses models and design considerations for a SIP
   overload control mechanism.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-soc-overload-design/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-soc-overload-design/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.