Subject: Protocol Action: 'AS-wide Unique BGP Identifier for BGP-4' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-idr-bgp-identifier-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 08:31:16 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'AS-wide Unique BGP Identifier for BGP-4'
  (draft-ietf-idr-bgp-identifier-14.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-identifier/

Technical Summary

The base BGP specification defined the BGP Identifier as "a valid
IPv4 host address".  This is problematic in some contexts
including IPv6-only networks.  This document relaxes the
definition to be a 4-octet unsigned, non-zero integer, and relaxes
the "uniqueness" requirement so that only AS-wide uniqueness of
the BGP Identifiers is required. These revisions to the base BGP
specification do not introduce any backward compatibility issue.

Working Group Summary

 The document has received extensive WG review and is generally
 non-controversial and clearly needed.

Document Quality

There are several existing implementations, and furthermore the
document makes no on-the-wire protocol changes and is backward
compatible.  The document does not use RFC 2119 language but I
don't view this as a problem. 

Personnel

John Scudder is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

At the end of the abstract please add:

 This document updates RFC 4271.

========