Subject: Protocol Action: 'Pseudowire (PW) OAM Message Mapping' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pwe3-oam-msg-map-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 10:21:17 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Pseudowire (PW) OAM Message Mapping'
  (draft-ietf-pwe3-oam-msg-map-16.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-oam-msg-map/

Technical Summary

This document specifies the mapping and notification of defect states
between a pseudowire (PW) and the Attachment Circuits (ACs) of the
end-to-end emulated service. It standardizes the behavior of Provider
Edges (PEs) with respect to PW and AC defects. It addresses ATM, Frame
Relay, TDM, and SONET/SDH PW services, carried over MPLS, MPLS/IP and
L2TPV3/IP Packet Switched Networks (PSNs).

Working Group Summary

One of the work items in the PWE3 Working Group Charter is to "Specify
Operations and Management (OAM) mechanisms for all PW types, suitable for
operation over both IP/L2TPv3 and MPLS PSNs, and capable of providing the
necessary interworking with the OAM mechanisms of the emulated service."
This document addresses this work item for ATM, Frame Relay, TDM, and
SONET/SDH pseudowires. A separate document will address Ethernet
pseudowires. 

Document Quality

There are no concerns about document quality.

Personnel

Andrew Malis, [email-masked] is the Document Shepherd for
this document. Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.