Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Transport Layer Security (tls)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:55:54 -0700 (PDT)

The Transport Layer Security (tls) working group in the Security Area of 
the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please 
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Transport Layer Security (tls)
----------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group
Last modified: 2011-05-19

Current status: Active Working Group

Chairs: 
  Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
  Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]>

Area Director: 
  Sean Turner <[email-masked]> 

Tech Advisor: 
  Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

Mailing List 
  Address:       [email-masked] 
  To Subscribe:  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls 
  Archive:       http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/

Description of Working Group

The TLS Working Group was established in 1996 to standardize a
'transport layer' security protocol. The working group began with SSL
version 3.0. The TLS Working Group has completed a series of
specifications that describe the Transport Layer Security protocol
versions 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2, extensions to the protocol, and new
ciphersuites to be used with TLS.

The primary goals of the WG are to maintain:
- The TLS protocol, RFC 5246;
- The DTLS protocol, draft-ietf-tls-rfc4347-bis.

Significant changes to the protocol, such as a new version 1.3, are not
within scope of the working group unless they are explicitly added to
the charter.

The secondary goals of the WG are to publish:
- Guidelines for Specifying the Use of TLS/DTLS;
- Recommendations for use of TLS (e.g., server ID);
- Extensions to TLS and DTLS; and,
- Cipher suites.

Goals and Milestones

Dec 2011 - Heartbeat Extension Sent to IESG