Subject: Protocol Action: 'xCal: The XML format for iCalendar' to Proposed Standard (draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:46:59 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'xCal: The XML format for iCalendar'
  (draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-10.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml/

Technical Summary

   This specification defines "xCal", an XML representation of the
   iCalendar data format specified in RFC 5545.  iCalendar is a 
   widely deployed interchange format for calendaring and scheduling 
   data.  While many applications and services consume and generate 
   calendar data, iCalendar is a specialized format that requires its own 
   parser/generator.  In contrast, XML-based formats are widely used 
   for interoperability between applications, and the many tools that 
   generate, parse, and manipulate XML make it easier to work with 
   than iCalendar.  xCal is defined as a straightforward mapping into
   XML from iCalendar, so that iCalendar data can be converted to XML,
   and then back to iCalendar, without losing any semantic meaning in
   the data.  Anyone creating xCal calendar data according to this
   specification will know that their data can be converted to a valid
   iCalendar representation as well.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of an IETF Working Group.

Document Quality

   The document has been reviewed on the [email-masked] list, and 
   also on the [email-masked] list to ensure consistency with the 
   XML representation of vCard.  The calendar+xml media type 
   registration was first posted to the media type review list on 
   2010-09-02 and all feedback was incorporated.  There are
   several implementations completed or in progress.  In addition, 
   OASIS is making this specification the basis of their WS-Calendar 
   work, which is expected to induce further implementations.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd / Responsible Area Director is 
   Peter Saint-Andre.