Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Profile for Route Origin Authorizations (ROAs)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 12:06:42 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Profile for Route Origin Authorizations (ROAs)'
  (draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format-12.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format/

Technical Summary

This document defines a standard profile for Route Origin
Authorizations (ROAs).  A ROA is a digitally signed object that
provides a means of verifying that an IP address block holder has
authorized an Autonomous System (AS) to originate routes to that one
or more prefixes within the address block.

Working Group Summary

The working group intently discussed the potential need for multiple
signatures for a ROA.  The eventual consensus was that the potential was
extremely rare and multiple signatures would be painful to understand
and diagnose in operational use.  The wg decided that single signatures
should be all that was required.

Document Quality

The document is well written and straightforward. Multiple
implementations of the RPKI exist, all of which implement this object.

The document makes use of the generic signed object draft.  That has the
intended effect of concentrating the discussion on the aspects of a
ROA signed object that are unique to the ROA.

Personnel

Sandra Murphy is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.