Subject: RFC 6256 on Using Self-Delimiting Numeric Values in Protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 22:12:04 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6256

        Title:      Using Self-Delimiting Numeric Values in 
                    Protocols 
        Author:     W. Eddy, E. Davies
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       May 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 40765
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-dtnrg-sdnv-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6256.txt

Self-Delimiting Numeric Values (SDNVs) have recently been introduced
as a field type in proposed Delay-Tolerant Networking protocols.
SDNVs encode an arbitrary-length non-negative integer or arbitrary-
length bitstring with minimum overhead.  They are intended to provide
protocol flexibility without sacrificing economy and to assist in
future-proofing protocols under development.  This document describes
formats and algorithms for SDNV encoding and decoding, along with
notes on implementation and usage.  This document is a product of the
Delay-Tolerant Networking Research Group and has been reviewed by
that group.  No objections to its publication as an RFC were raised. 
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC