Subject: Protocol Action: 'Locally-served DNS Zones' to BCP (draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 06:15:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Locally-served DNS Zones'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones-15.txt) as a BCP

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones/

Technical Summary

Experience with the Domain Name System (DNS) has shown that 
there are a number of DNS zones all iterative resolvers and recursive 
nameservers should automatically serve, unless configured otherwise.
RFC 4193 specifies that this should occur for D.F.IP6.ARPA.  This 
document extends the practice to cover the IN-ADDR.ARPA zones for RFC
1918 address space and other well known zones with similar characteristics.

Working Group Summary
The working group strong but not unanimous consensus. Discussion 
arose around how exactly to seed the IANA registry that defines the 
list of zones to locally serve.

Document Quality

There are name server implementations that already use the feature 
described in this document.

Personnel

Peter Koch is shepherd for this document.