Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-behave-ftp64-10.txt> (An FTP ALG for IPv6-to-IPv4 translation) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:48:13 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Behavior Engineering for
Hindrance Avoidance WG (behave) to consider the following document:
- 'An FTP ALG for IPv6-to-IPv4 translation'
  <draft-ietf-behave-ftp64-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-06-03. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) has a very long history, and despite
   the fact that today, other options exist to perform file transfers,
   FTP is still in common use.  As such, it is important that in the
   situation where some client computers only have IPv6 connectivity
   while many servers are still IPv4-only and IPv6-to-IPv4 translators
   are used to bridge that gap, FTP is made to work through these
   translators as best it can.

   FTP has an active and a passive mode, both as original commands that
   are IPv4-specific, and as extended, IP version agnostic commands.
   The only FTP mode that works without changes through an IPv6-to-IPv4
   translator is extended passive.  However, many existing FTP servers
   do not support this mode, and some clients do not ask for it.  This
   document specifies a middlebox that may solve this mismatch.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-ftp64/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-ftp64/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1322/

IPR has been disclosed and announced to the mailing list,
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/search/?option=document_search&document_sea
rch=draft-ietf-behave-ftp64
and there has been no subsequent WG discussion about this IPR disclosure.