Subject: Protocol Action: 'Sender RTT Estimate Option for DCCP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-rtt-option-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 12:36:20 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Sender RTT Estimate Option for DCCP'
  (draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-rtt-option-06.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-rtt-option/

Technical Summary

The document describes problems in the current DCCP CCID-3 and CCID-4
receiver-based algorithm for estimating round-trip time, and proposes
an enhancement to round-trip time evaluation by using a new Sender
round-trip time estimate DCCP option. With the option, it is possible
to measure RTT at the sender, and communicate the measured value to
receiver, which results in more reliable RTT samples.

Working Group Summary

The document is a product of the DCCP WG, receiving sufficient review along
its preparation. There were no controversies in WG Last Call, and the
WG is in agreement to publish this document.

Document Quality

The document is based on observations from a real DCCP implementation
on Linux kernel, and its authors are closely familiar with the
implementation. The document reviewers include one of the authors of
the original DCCP specification.

Personnel

Document shepherd is Pasi Sarolahti ([email-masked]).
Responsible Area Director is Wesley Eddy.