Subject: Document Action: 'A Survey of Lower-than-Best-Effort Transport Protocols' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-ledbat-survey-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 07:50:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Survey of Lower-than-Best-Effort Transport Protocols'
  (draft-ietf-ledbat-survey-07.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Low Extra Delay Background Transport
Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ledbat-survey/

Technical Summary

This document provides a survey of transport protocols which are
designed to have a smaller bandwidth and/or delay impact on standard
TCP than standard TCP itself when they share a bottleneck with it.
Such protocols could be used for delay-insensitive "background"
traffic, as they provide what is sometimes called a "less than" (or
"lower than") best-effort service.

Working Group Summary

This document is a product of the LEDBAT WG. It has received reviews from
various WG participants. There were no controversies in the Last Call of
the document and the WG feels the document is ready for publication.

Document Quality

The algorithm that triggered this survey, which is still being worked on but
nears completion, is implemented by BitTorrent Inc. Special thanks to
Mirja Kühlewind, Wesley Eddy and Mayutan Arumaithurai for their thorough
reviews of the document.

Personnel

Rolf Winter ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd. Lars
Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed the document for the IESG.