Subject: Document Action: 'Routing Loop Attack using IPv6 Automatic Tunnels: Problem Statement and Proposed Mitigations' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-tunnel-loops-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 16:37:55 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Routing Loop Attack using IPv6 Automatic Tunnels: Problem Statement
   and Proposed Mitigations'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-tunnel-loops-07.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-tunnel-loops/

Technical Summary

   This document is concerned with security vulnerabilities in IPv6-in-
   IPv4 automatic tunnels.  These vulnerabilities allow an attacker to
   take advantage of inconsistencies between the IPv4 routing state and
   the IPv6 routing state.  The attack forms a routing loop which can be
   abused as a vehicle for traffic amplification to facilitate DoS
   attacks.  The first aim of this document is to inform on this attack
   and its root causes.  The second aim is to present some possible
   mitigation measures.

Working Group Summary

   The initial version of the document was published 10/20/09.
   Subsequent to IETF 78 the document was accepted as a working group
   document. Last call was completed on 10/12/10.

Document Quality

   This work has benefited from discussions on the V6OPS, 6MAN and
   SECDIR mailing lists.  Remi Despres, Christian Huitema, Dmitry
   Anipko, Dave Thaler and Fernando Gont are acknowledged for their
   contributions.

Personnel

Joel Jaegli is documet sheperd.