Subject: Protocol Action: 'Dual-Stack Lite Broadband Deployments Following IPv4 Exhaustion' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 06:17:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Dual-Stack Lite Broadband Deployments Following IPv4 Exhaustion'
  (draft-ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite-11.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Softwires Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite/

Technical Summary

   This document revisits the dual-stack model and introduces the dual-
   stack lite technology aimed at better aligning the costs and benefits
   of deploying IPv6. Dual-stack lite enables a broadband service
   provider to share IPv4 addresses among customers by combining two
   well-known technologies: IP in IP (IPv4-in-IPv6) and Network Address
   Translation (NAT).

Working Group Summary

   This document was discussed in depth and well-reviewed. There is some
   disagreement over small details, but overall WG consensus is strong to
   publish this document.

Document Quality

   There are multiple, independent, interoperable implementations of this
   protocol today. Several service providers have announced plans to deploy
   or interest in deploying. 

Personnel

   The responsible Area Director is Jari Arkko, as the normal
   sponsor for the SOFTWIRE WG, Ralph Droms, is one of the
   authors of this document.