Subject: RFC 6127 on IPv4 Run-Out and IPv4-IPv6 Co-Existence Scenarios

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 22:11:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6127

        Title:      IPv4 Run-Out and IPv4-IPv6 Co-Existence 
                    Scenarios 
        Author:     J. Arkko, M. Townsley
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 48227
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-arkko-townsley-coexistence-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6127.txt

When IPv6 was designed, it was expected that the transition from IPv4
to IPv6 would occur more smoothly and expeditiously than experience
has revealed.  The growth of the IPv4 Internet and predicted
depletion of the free pool of IPv4 address blocks on a foreseeable
horizon has highlighted an urgent need to revisit IPv6 deployment
models.  This document provides an overview of deployment scenarios
with the goal of helping to understand what types of additional tools
the industry needs to assist in IPv4 and IPv6 co-existence and
transition.

This document was originally created as input to the Montreal co-
existence interim meeting in October 2008, which led to the
rechartering of the Behave and Softwire working groups to take on new
IPv4 and IPv6 co-existence work.  This document is published as a
historical record of the thinking at the time, but hopefully will
also help readers understand the rationale behind current IETF tools
for co-existence and transition.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC