Subject: Protocol Action: 'Encapsulation Methods for Transport of Fibre Channel Traffic over MPLS Networks' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pwe3-fc-encap-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 06:51:12 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Encapsulation Methods for Transport of Fibre Channel Traffic over MPLS
   Networks'
  (draft-ietf-pwe3-fc-encap-16.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-fc-encap/

Technical Summary

A Fibre Channel pseudowire (PW) is used to carry Fibre Channel
traffic over an MPLS network. This enables service providers to take
advantage of MPLS to offer "emulated" Fibre Channel services. This
document specifies the encapsulation of Fibre Channel traffic within
a pseudowire. It also specifies the common procedures for using a PW
to provide a Fibre Channel service.

Working Group Summary

This document is a product of the PWE3 working group.

This draft originated as draft-roth-pwe3-fc-encap-01 in 2005, which
contained a basic specification for the transport of FC over MPLS
using PWs. Subsequently, there was significant debate about the
congestion control and QoS implications of FC, which requires a
reliable underlying transport. The document was reviewed by the
transport area resulting in the development of a TCP-friendly
congestion control protocol. However, this protocol was felt to
add significant complexity, and was removed from the draft and instead
the applicability of FC PWs limited to MPLS networks that are
provisioned and operated with very low loss rates.

Document Quality

There are no concerns about protocol quality.

Personnel

Matthew Bocci is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.