Subject: Protocol Action: 'Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID Discovery' to Draft Standard

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:31:35 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID Discovery '
 RFC 5343 as a Draft Standard

This document is the product of the Operations and Management Area Working
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this RFC is:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5343.txt

Technical Summary

  The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) version three (SNMPv3)
  requires that an application know the identifier (snmpEngineID) of
  the remote SNMP protocol engine in order to retrieve or manipulate
  objects maintained on the remote SNMP entity.

  This document introduces a well-known localEngineID and a discovery
  mechanism that can be used to learn the snmpEngineID of a remote SNMP
  protocol engine.  The proposed mechanism is independent of the
  features provided by SNMP security models and may also be used by
  other protocol interfaces providing access to managed objects.

  This document updates RFC 3411.

Working Group Summary

  The document is being advanced from Proposed Standard to Draft   
  Standard together with RFC 5590, RFC 5591, and RFC 5953.

Document Quality

  Two independent implementations of SNMP Context EngineID
  Discovery have been developed, tested, and found to be
  interoperable. The developers of both implementation agree that
  RFC 5343 is sufficiently clear to allow for interoperable
  implementations. The implementation report is available at
 
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/implementation/report-rfc5343-5590-5591-5953.txt

Personnel

   Dan Romascanu is the responsible Area Director.