Subject: Last Call: <draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-03.txt> (Multisegment Pseudowires in Passive Optical Networks) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 06:09:19 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Multisegment Pseudowires in Passive Optical Networks'
  <draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-06-28. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

This document describes the application of MPLS multi-segment
pseudowires (MS-PWs) in a dual-technology environment comprising a
Passive Optical Network (PON) and an MPLS Packet Switched Network
(PSN).

PON technology may be used in mobile backhaul networks to support the
end segments closest to the aggregation devices.  In these cases,
there may be a very large number of PW Terminating Provider Edge
nodes (T-PEs).  The MPLS control plane could be used to provision
these end segments, but support for the necessary protocols would
complicate the management of the T-PEs and would significantly
increase their expense.  Alternatively, static, or management plane,
configuration could be used to configure the end segments, but the
very large number of such segments in a PON places a very heavy
burden on the network manager.

This document describes how to set up the end segment of an end-to-
end MPLS PW over a Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Network (GPON)
using the GPON management protocol, Optical Network Termination
Management and Control Interface (OMCI).  This simplifies and speeds
up PW provisioning.

This document also shows how a MS-PW may be constructed from an end
segment supported over a PON, and stitched to one or more segments
supported over an MPLS PSN.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1438/