Subject: Protocol Action: 'Protocol for Access Node Control Mechanism in Broadband Networks' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ancp-protocol-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 09:53:30 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Protocol for Access Node Control Mechanism in Broadband Networks'
  (draft-ietf-ancp-protocol-17.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Access Node Control Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ancp-protocol/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the Access Node Control Protocol (ANCP).
   ANCP operates between a Network Access Server (NAS) and an Access
   Node (e.g., a Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM))
   in a multi-service reference architecture in order to perform QoS-
   related, service-related and subscriber-related operations.  Use
   cases for ANCP are documented in RFC 5851.  As well as describing
   the base ANCP protocol, this document specifies capabilities for
   Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) topology discovery, line
   configuration, and remote line connectivity testing.  The design of
   ANCP allows for protocol extensions in other documents if they are
   needed to support other use cases and other access technologies.

   ANCP is based on GSMPv3 (RFC 3292), but with many modifications and
   extensions, to the point that the two protocols are not
   interoperable.

   This document is a product of the ANCP working group.

   This document is Standards Track.

Working Group Summary

   The origin of the working group can be traced back to the WT-147
   "Layer 2 Control Protocol" document from the Broadband Forum. The
   ANCP protocol developed in the ANCP working group as a result of
   that document is typically used in the access and aggregation
   portions of a broadband access network, and also in inter-provider
   environments. This draft specifies the base protocol for ANCP,
   which is itself derived from GSMP.

Document Quality

   The document specifies the base protocol for ANCP which has a
   number of implementations.

Personnel

   Matthew Bocci <[email-masked]> is the document
   shepherd.  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> is the responsible
   Area Director.