Subject: RFC 6245 on Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) Key Extension for Mobile IPv4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 17:54:44 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6245

        Title:      Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) Key 
                    Extension for Mobile IPv4 
        Author:     P. Yegani, K. Leung,
                    A. Lior, K. Chowdhury,
                    J. Navali
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 16823
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mip4-gre-key-extension-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6245.txt

The Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) specification contains a Key
field, which MAY contain a value that is used to identify a
particular GRE data stream.  This specification defines a new Mobile
IP extension that is used to exchange the value to be used in the GRE
Key field.  This extension further allows the Mobility Agents to set
up the necessary protocol interfaces prior to receiving the mobile
node traffic.  The new extension allows a Foreign Agent to request
GRE tunneling without disturbing the Home Agent behavior specified
for Mobile IPv4.  GRE tunneling with the Key field allows the
operators to have home networks that consist of multiple Virtual
Private Networks (VPNs), which may have overlapping home addresses.
When the tuple <Care of Address, Home Address, and Home Agent
Address> is the same across multiple subscriber sessions, GRE
tunneling will provide a means for the Foreign Agent and Home Agent
to identify data streams for the individual sessions based on the GRE
key.  In the absence of this key identifier, the data streams cannot
be distinguished from each other -- a significant drawback when using
IP-in-IP tunneling.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Mobility for IPv4 Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC