Subject: Document Action: 'I'm Being Attacked by PRISONER.IANA.ORG!' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 14:55:31 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'I'm Being Attacked by PRISONER.IANA.ORG!'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help-06.txt) as an
Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help/

 Technical Summary.

Many sites connected to the Internet make use of IPv4 addresses 
which are not globally unique.  Examples are the addresses designated 
in RFC1918 for private use within individual sites.

Since queries sent to AS112 servers are usually not intentional, the 
replies received back from those servers are typically unexpected. 
Unexpected inbound traffic can trigger alarms on intrusion detection 
systems and firewalls, and operators of such systems often mistakenly 
believe that they are being attacked.

This document provides background information and technical advice 
to those firewall operators.

Working Group Summary

The working group was supportive of this and the associated AS112 
operations document.  Nothing particularly controversial came up.

Document Quality

This document is for end user consumption.

Personnel

Shepherd is Peter Koch.