Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-infra-addrs-04.txt> (IPv4 and IPv6 Infrastructure Addresses in BGP Updates for Multicast VPN) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 06:29:30 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l3vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'IPv4 and IPv6 Infrastructure Addresses in BGP Updates for Multicast
   VPN'
  <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-infra-addrs-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-06-14. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

To provide Multicast VPN (MVPN) service, Provider Edge routers
originate BGP Update messages that carry Multicast-VPN ("MCAST-VPN")
BGP routes; they also originate unicast VPN routes that carry MVPN-
specific attributes.  These routes encode addresses from the
customer's address space, as well as addresses from the provider's
address space.  These two address spaces are independent, and the
address family (IPv4 or IPv6) of the two spaces may or may not be the
same.  These routes always contain an "address family" field that
specifies whether the customer addresses are IPv4 addresses or
whether they are IPv6 addresses.  However, there is no field that
explicitly specifies the address family of the provider addresses.
To ensure interoperability, this document specifies that provider
IPv4 addresses are always encoded in these update messages as four-
octet addresses, and that the distinction between IPv4 and IPv6 is
signaled solely by the length of the address field.  Specific cases
are explained in detail.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-infra-addrs/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-infra-addrs/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.