Subject: BCP 162, RFC 6302 on Logging Recommendations for Internet-Facing Servers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:46:55 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 162        
        RFC 6302

        Title:      Logging Recommendations for Internet-Facing Servers 
        Author:     A. Durand, I. Gashinsky,
                    D. Lee, S. Sheppard
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 10039
        See Also:   BCP0162

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-intarea-server-logging-recommendations-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6302.txt

In the wake of IPv4 exhaustion and deployment of IP address sharing
techniques, this document recommends that Internet-facing servers log
port number and accurate timestamps in addition to the incoming IP
address.  This memo documents an Internet Best Current Practice.

This document is a product of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC