Subject: Protocol Action: 'Sieve Extension: Externally Stored Lists' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:28:19 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Sieve Extension: Externally Stored Lists'
  (draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-10.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists/

Technical Summary

    The Sieve scripting language can be used to implement whitelisting,
    blacklisting, personal distribution lists, and other sorts of list
    matching.  Currently, this requires that all members of such lists be
    hardcoded in the script itself.  Whenever a member of a list is added
    or deleted, the script needs to be updated and possibly uploaded to a
    mail server.
    
    This document defines a Sieve extension for accessing externally
    stored lists -- lists whose members are stored externally to the
    script, such as using LDAP (RFC 4510), ACAP (RFC 2244), CardDAV (work
    in progress), or relational databases.

Working Group Summary

    This extension started as an individual submission in 2007 and
    was adopted as a WG document in July 2009. The basic premise
    has remained the same throughout all revisions of the
    document.
    
    Much of the WG discussion surrounded refining the syntax and
    the nature of the value used to represent an external list.
    The WG came to consensus on the use of a URI, and then defined
    a new URI scheme for its own use. However, subsequent review
    and discussion on the URI review mailing list lead to the WG
    dropping its proposal for a new URI scheme. Instead the WG
    created a new URN sub-namespace for sieve parameters and
    defined how that is used in the extension (with an abbreviated
    syntactic form required for script compactness). The URN
    approach now represents WG consensus.
    
    In addition, an apps review team review was done. The one
    major issue from that review was addressed by the addition of
    text to the Security Considerations section. The one minor
    issue was discussed and no action was deemed necessary.

Document Quality

    At least one commercial implementation of this specification exists
    (fully updated to the latest version). One other commercial vendor,
    and one open source vendor have indicated they will support this
    specification.

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Cyrus Daboo <mailto:[email-masked]>
AD: Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>