Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Kerberos (krb-wg)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:45:49 -0700 (PDT)

The Kerberos (krb-wg) working group in the Security Area of the IETF has 
been rechartered.  For additional information, please contact the Area 
Directors or the working group Chairs.

Kerberos (krb-wg)
--------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs: 
  Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
  Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
  Larry Zhu <[email-masked]>

Security Area Directors: 
 Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>  
 Sean Turner <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor: 
 Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg
  Archive: https://lists.anl.gov/pipermail/ietf-krb-wg/

Description of Working Group:

Kerberos over the years has been ported to virtually every operating
system.  There are at least two open source versions, with numerous
commercial versions based on these and other proprietary implementations.
Kerberos evolution has continued in recent years, with the development
of new crypto and preauthentication frameworks, support for initial
authentication using public keys, improved support for protecting
clients' long-term keys during initial authentication, support for
anonymous and partially-anonymous authentication, and numerous
extensions developed in and out of the IETF.

However, wider deployment and advances in technology bring with them
both new challenges and new opportunities, such as exploring support
for new mechanisms for initial authentication, new cryptographic
technologies, and better integration of Kerberos with other systems
for authentication, authorization, and identity management.
In addition, several key features remain undefined.

The Kerberos Working Group will continue to improve the core Kerberos
specification, develop extensions to address new needs and technologies
related to the areas described above, and produce specifications for
missing functionality.

Specifically, the Working Group will:

* Complete existing work, including:
   - DHCP Option               (draft-sakane-dhc-dhcpv6-kdc-option-10.txt)
   - KDC Data Model            (draft-ietf-krb-wg-kdc-model-09.txt)
   - One-Time Passwords        (draft-ietf-krb-wg-otp-preauth-16.txt)
   - IAKERB                    (draft-ietf-krb-wg-iakerb-02.txt)
   - Single-DES Deprecation    (draft-lha-des-die-die-die-05.txt)
   - IANA registry creation (draft-lha-krb-wg-some-numbers-to-iana)
   - Hash agility for GSS-KRB5 (draft-ietf-krb-wg-gss-cb-hash-agility-06.txt)
   - Hash agility for PKINIT   (draft-ietf-krb-wg-pkinit-alg-agility-05.txt)
   - Referrals                 (draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-12.txt)
   - Set/Change Password       (draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-set-passwd-08.txt)

* Prepare and advance one or more standards-track specifications which
  update the Kerberos version 5 protocol to support non-ASCII principal
  and realm names, salt strings, and passwords, and localized error
  reporting.  Maximizing backward compatibility is strongly desired.
  
* Prepare and advance one or more standards-track specifications which
  update the Kerberos version 5 protocol in a backward-compatible way
  to support extending the unencrypted portion of a Kerberos ticket.

* Prepare, review, and advance standards-track and informational
  specifications defining use of new cryptographic algorithms in the
  Kerberos protocol, on an ongoing basis.  

* Prepare, review, and advance standards-track and informational
  specifications defining use of new cryptographic algorithms in
  Kerberos using the RFC3961 framework.  Cryptographic algorithms
  intended for standards track status must be of good quality, have
  broad international support, and fill a definite need.

* Prepare, review, and advance standards-track and informational
  specifications defining new authorization data types for carrying
  supplemental information about the client to which a Kerberos ticket
  has been issued and/or restrictions on what the ticket can be used
  for. To enhance this ongoing authorization data work, a container
  format supporting the use cases of draft-sorce-krbwg-general-pac-01
  may be standardized.

* Prepare a standards-track protocol to solve the use cases addressed
  by draft-hotz-kx509-01 including new support for digital signatures.

* Prepare and advance one or more standards-track specifications
  which define mechanisms for establishing keys and configuration
  information used during authentication between Kerberos realms.
  
* Prepare and advance a standards-track specification defining a
  format for the transport of Kerberos credentials within other
  protocols.

* Today Kerberos requires a replay cache to be used in AP exchanges in
  almost all cases.  Replay caches are quite complex to implement
  correctly, particularly in clustered systems.  High-performance replay
  caches are even more difficult to implement.  The WG will pursue
  extensions to minimize the need for replay caching, optimize replay
  caching, and/or elide the need for replay caching.

* Produce an LDAP schema for management of the KDC's database.

Goals and Milestones:

Oct 2011  Internationalized error support to IESG
Dec 2011  Kerberos PAD authorization data to IESG
Aug 2011  draft-ietf-krb-wg-clear-text-cred to IESG
Aug 2011  draft-ietf-krbwg-camellia-cts to IESG
Sep 2011  DHCP option for Kerberos to IESG
Dec 2011  Consider adopting kx509bis in response to use cases in 
          draft-hotz-kx509-01
Aug 2011  draft-ietf-krb-wg-des-die-die-die to IESG
Oct 2011  draft-ietf-krb-wg-pkinit-alg-agility to IESG