Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-multihoming-without-ipv6nat-00.txt> (IPv6 Multihoming without Network Address Translation) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:41:01 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Operations WG (v6ops) to
consider the following document:
- 'IPv6 Multihoming without Network Address Translation'
  <draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-multihoming-without-ipv6nat-00.txt> as an
Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-06-21. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

Network Address and Port Translation (NAPT) works well for conserving
global addresses and addressing multihoming requirements, because an
IPv4 NAPT router implements three functions: source address
selection, next-hop resolution and optionally DNS resolution.  For
IPv6 hosts one approach could be the use of IPv6 NAT.  However, NAT
should be avoided, if at all possible, to permit transparent host-to-
host connectivity.  In this document, we analyze the use cases of
multihoming.  We also describe functional requirements for
multihoming without the use of NAT in IPv6 for hosts and small IPv6
networks that would otherwise be unable to meet minimum IPv6
allocation criteria.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-multihoming-without-ipv6nat/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-multihoming-without-ipv6nat/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.