Subject: RFC 6252 on A Framework of Media-Independent Pre-Authentication (MPA) for Inter-Domain Handover Optimization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:50:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6252

        Title:      A Framework of Media-Independent Pre-Authentication 
                    (MPA) for Inter-Domain Handover Optimization 
        Author:     A. Dutta, Ed.,
                    V. Fajardo, Y. Ohba,
                    K. Taniuchi, H. Schulzrinne
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       June 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      57
        Characters: 149395
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-mobopts-mpa-framework-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6252.txt

This document describes Media-independent Pre-Authentication (MPA), a
new handover optimization mechanism that addresses the issues on
existing mobility management protocols and mobility optimization
mechanisms to support inter-domain handover.  MPA is a mobile-
assisted, secure handover optimization scheme that works over any
link layer and with any mobility management protocol, and is most
applicable to supporting optimization during inter-domain handover.
MPA's pre-authentication, pre-configuration, and proactive handover
techniques allow many of the handoff-related operations to take place
before the mobile node has moved to the new network.  We describe the
details of all the associated techniques and their applicability for
different scenarios involving various mobility protocols during
inter-domain handover.  We have implemented the MPA mechanism for
various network-layer and application-layer mobility protocols, and
we report a summary of experimental performance results in this
document.

This document is a product of the IP Mobility Optimizations (MOBOPTS)
Research Group.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC