Subject: IESG Statement on IESG Processing of RFC Errata concerning RFC Metadata

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:46:46 -0700 (PDT)

Date: 2011-06-13

This IESG statement describes the manner in which the IESG will
process RFC Errata concerning RFC Metadata [RFC5741]. Metadata
is used, for example, in the compilation of the RFC Index.

The Area Director responsible for processing the RFC erratum will review
the RFC and document history recorded in various IETF archives such as
the datatracker. Where the error is major, for example
an error in the document track, the Area Director SHOULD
reject the erratum, and initiate the publication of a replacement
RFC.

Where

- The error is minor, for example where there is a minor
  error in the list of updated RFCs, and
- The intent of the IETF community as determined from the RFC and the
  records is clear, and
- The RFC has been processed correctly in all other regards,
  the Area Director MAY accept the erratum. The Area Director MAY consult
  with the IESG in making this determination.

If the above minor error conditions are met, but the Area Director
responsible for processing the metadata is of the view that the best
interests of the community are served by holding the RFC erratum for
document update, or rejecting the erratum and initiating the
publication of a replacement RFC they MAY process the RFC erratum
accordingly.

Where there is doubt as to the intent of the IETF community or where the
RFC has not been processed in accordance with the rules governing the
proposed change to the RFC metadata, the RFC erratum MUST be rejected.