Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Unicode code points and IDNA - Unicode 6.0' to Proposed Standard (draft-faltstrom-5892bis-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:29:55 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Unicode code points and IDNA - Unicode 6.0'
  (draft-faltstrom-5892bis-05.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-faltstrom-5892bis/

Technical Summary

This document specifies IETF consensus for IDNA derived character
properties related to the three code points, existing in Unicode 5.2,
that changed property values when version 6.0 was released. 

Working Group Summary

This document has been discussed in both the IDNAbis working group
list and the APPSAWG list.  Unicode 6.0 changes the GeneralCategory of
three code points, which changes their handling according to RFC 5892.
 This document handles that by allowing those code points to change
their IDNA status, rather than making exceptions for them.

One point of controversy involved the character U+19DA, which changes
its derived property from PVALID to DISALLOWED.  Some participants
objected, saying that this could cause previously valid names to
become invalid, and suggesting that an exception should be made for
U+19DA to allow it to remain PVALID.  Consensus was that because
U+19DA is unlikely to have been used in any names until now (so the
chance of harm is very low) and RFC 5892 had a preference for not
putting things in the exception list, it is best not to  make an exception
for this character.

Document Quality

This document is concise and clear, and is ready for publication.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Jiankang YAO <[email-masked]>
The Responsible AD is Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>