Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-fecframe-framework-15.txt> (Forward Error Correction (FEC) Framework) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:32:30 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the FEC Framework WG (fecframe) to
consider the following document:
- 'Forward Error Correction (FEC) Framework'
  <draft-ietf-fecframe-framework-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG reviewed this draft and requested substantial changes. This
is a second Last Call, running for one week, to ensure the community 
has an opportunity to review the changes.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-06-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a framework for using Forward Error
   Correction (FEC) codes with applications in public and private IP
   networks to provide protection against packet loss.  The framework
   supports applying FEC to arbitrary packet flows over unreliable
   transport and is primarily intended for real-time, or streaming,
   media.  This framework can be used to define Content Delivery
   Protocols that provide FEC for streaming media delivery or other
   packet flows.  Content Delivery Protocols defined using this
   framework can support any FEC scheme (and associated FEC codes) which
   is compliant with various requirements defined in this document.
   Thus, Content Delivery Protocols can be defined which are not
   specific to a particular FEC scheme, and FEC schemes can be defined
   which are not specific to a particular Content Delivery Protocol.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-fecframe-framework/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-fecframe-framework/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.