Subject: Protocol Action: 'The SSL Protocol Version 3.0' to Historic (draft-mavrogiannopoulos-ssl-version3-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:41:26 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The SSL Protocol Version 3.0'
  (draft-mavrogiannopoulos-ssl-version3-06.txt) as a Historic

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mavrogiannopoulos-ssl-version3/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies Version 3.0 of the Secure Sockets Layer
   (SSL V3.0) protocol, a security protocol that provides communications
   privacy over the Internet.  The protocol allows client/server
   applications to communicate in a way that is designed to prevent
   eavesdropping, tampering, or message forgery.

Working Group Summary

   The document was proposed to be published as a TLS WG item, but
   the consensus to the discussion was that the WG was not needed
   to publish a Historic document.

Document Quality

   The document describes the SSL 3.0 protocol which is widely
   implemented by various vendors.

Personnel

   Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos is the Document Shepherd.
   Sean Turner is the Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

  Please retain the Foreword section.

  Please add the following to the beginning of the Abstract:

    This document is published as a historical record
    of the SSL v3.0  protocol.  The original Abstract follows.