Subject: Protocol Action: 'PPP TRILL Protocol Control Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pppext-trill-protocol-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:55:40 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'PPP TRILL Protocol Control Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-pppext-trill-protocol-08.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pppext-trill-protocol/

Technical Summary

        The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) defines a Link Control
	Protocol (LCP) and a method for negotiating the use of
	multi-protocol traffic over point-to-point links.  This
	document describes PPP support for Transparent Interconnection
	of Lots of Links (TRILL) Protocol, allowing direct
	communication between Routing Bridges (RBridges) via PPP
	links.

Working Group Summary
 
       There is consensus in the WG to publish this document.  There
	was some discussion in the working group about IS-IS System
	IDs, and the draft reflects the consensus.

       Note that the document author is the working group chair.
       There is no document shepherd due to this, and the responsible
       Area Director has verified that WG discussions were conducted
       properly and that there was consensus to send the document
       forward.

Document Quality

       There is a long list of vendors implementing TRILL, but at
	this point there are none that have announced support for
	TRILL over PPP.  The PPP extensions described here are
	trivial, and the overall system implementation issues have
	been discussed in detail with several of the TRILL WG
	participants.  No significant implementation, deployment, or
	interoperability concerns exist.

	Significant reviewers include Bill Simpson, Donald Eastlake,
	and Vern Schryver.

Personnel

   There is no Document Shepherd. The responsible
   Area Director is Jari Arkko.

RFC Editor Note

 N.A.