Subject: BCP 161, RFC 6291 on Guidelines for the Use of the "OAM" Acronym in the IETF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 09:53:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 161        
        RFC 6291

        Title:      Guidelines for the Use of 
                    the "OAM" Acronym in the IETF 
        Author:     L. Andersson, H. van Helvoort,
                    R. Bonica, D. Romascanu,
                    S. Mansfield
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 16696
        See Also:   BCP0161

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsawg-mpls-tp-oam-def-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6291.txt

At first glance, the acronym "OAM" seems to be well-known and
well-understood.  Looking at the acronym a bit more closely reveals a
set of recurring problems that are revisited time and again.

This document provides a definition of the acronym "OAM" (Operations,
Administration, and Maintenance) for use in all future IETF documents
that refer to OAM.  There are other definitions and acronyms that
will be discussed while exploring the definition of the constituent
parts of the "OAM" term.  This memo documents an Internet Best Current 
Practice.

This document is a product of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC