Subject: RFC 6294 on Survey of Proposed Use Cases for the IPv6 Flow Label

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:37:02 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6294

        Title:      Survey of Proposed Use Cases 
                    for the IPv6 Flow Label 
        Author:     Q. Hu, B. Carpenter
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       June 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 43303
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-hu-flow-label-cases-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6294.txt

The IPv6 protocol includes a flow label in every packet header, but
this field is not used in practice.  This paper describes the flow
label standard and discusses the implementation issues that it
raises.  It then describes various published proposals for using the
flow label and shows that most of them are inconsistent with the
standard.  Methods to address this problem are briefly reviewed.  We
also question whether the standard should be revised.  This document 
is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC