Subject: Last Call: <draft-shiomoto-ccamp-switch-programming-05.txt> (Advice on When It is Safe to Start Sending Data on Label Switched Paths Established Using RSVP-TE) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 08:09:40 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Advice on When It is Safe to Start Sending Data on Label Switched
   Paths Established Using RSVP-TE'
  <draft-shiomoto-ccamp-switch-programming-05.txt> as an Informational
RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-07-18. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) has been extended to support
   Traffic Engineering (TE) in Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and
   Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) networks. The protocol enables signaling
   exchanges to establish Label Switched Paths (LSPs) that traverse
   nodes and links to provide end-to-end data paths. Each node is
   programmed with "cross-connect" information as the signaling messages
   are processed. The cross-connection information instructs the node
   how to forward data that it receives.

   End points of an LSP need to know when it is safe to start sending
   data so that it is not misdelivered, and so that safety issues
   specific to optical data plane technology are satisfied. Likewise,
   all label switching routers along the path of the LSP need to know
   when to program their data planes relative to sending and receiving
   control plane messages.

   This document clarifies and summarises the RSVP-TE protocol exchanges
   with relation to the programming of cross-connects along an LSP for
   both unidirectional and bidirectional LSPs. This document does not
   define any new procedures or protocol extensions, and defers
   completely to the documents that provide normative references. The
   clarifications set out in this document may also be used to help
   interpret LSP establishment performance figures for MPLS-TE and GMPLS
   devices.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shiomoto-ccamp-switch-programming/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shiomoto-ccamp-switch-programming/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.