Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-raptorq-06.txt> (RaptorQ Forward Error Correction Scheme for Object Delivery) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 08:24:37 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Reliable Multicast Transport WG
(rmt) to consider the following document:
- 'RaptorQ Forward Error Correction Scheme for Object Delivery'
  <draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-raptorq-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-06-17. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

This is a second IETF Last Call. At IESG request, an updated IPR disclosure 
related to this document was filed by Qualcomm Incorporated to clarify the 
licensing terms vis-a-vis different applications of the technology.  
See the following link: https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1553/
Because of this updated IPR disclosure, an additional RMT Working Group Last Call 
was conducted.  The only resultant working group email discussion to the revised IPR
was that it was an improvement in that it more clearly covered unicast as well as
multicast use cases of the technology.  The following URL points to the mailing
list archive message thread regarding this additional WGLC:
 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rmt/current/msg01547.html

Although IPR is in place, this forward error correction
technique is just one of several types that the RMT WG has specified and other,
unencumbered techniques have been defined.  Thus, the RMT WG had  previously discussed 
this matter concluding that it wished to publish this document regardless of the IPR
since this new FEC code is one of multiple alternatives that can  be used to implement
the RMT higher-level protocols, as such the possible IPR covering this does not
preclude the unencumbered implementation of the RMT Protocols.  The IPR licensing terms presented by Qualcomm appear to be reasonable.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-raptorq/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-raptorq/