Subject: Protocol Action: 'xCard: vCard XML Representation' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 10:44:42 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'xCard: vCard XML Representation'
  (draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-11.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the vCard and CardDAV Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Peter Saint-Andre and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml/

Technical Summary

  This document defines the XML representation of the vCard data 
   format for representing and exchanging a variety of information 
   about individuals and other entities (e.g., formatted and structured 
   name and delivery addresses, email address, multiple telephone 
   numbers, photograph, logo, audio clips, etc.).

Working Group Summary

   This document is a product of VCARDDAV WG.

   The document was nearly done around August 2010.  Some late 
   comments were received after that, asking for better alignment of 
   the vCard 4.0 format with "hCard" and "PoCo" (Portable Contacts)
   formats. Most of the suggestions were applied, modulo removal of 
   some properties for which there was no WG consensus to remove 
   them.

Document Quality

   The document was reviewed by multiple VCARDDAV WG participants.
   Other groups like the XSF depend on this format and are willing to
   to implement/deploy the XML mapping of vCard 4.0.

   The two-week media type review was completed on 
   [email-masked] mailing list.  It was requested on April 7th 2011: 
   <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-types/current/msg01183.html>

   Several implementers expressed desire to implement the spec.
   Some communities like XSF (see 
   <http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0292.html>) are also referencing this 
   spec.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is Alexey Melnikov.

   The Responsible Area Director is Peter Saint-Andre.