Subject: RFC 6246 on Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) Interoperability with Customer Edge (CE) Bridges

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:27:35 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6246

        Title:      Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) 
                    Interoperability with Customer Edge (CE) Bridges 
        Author:     A. Sajassi, Ed.,
                    F. Brockners, 
                    D. Mohan, Ed.,
                    Y. Serbest
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 51024
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6246.txt

One of the main motivations behind Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) is 
its ability to provide connectivity not only among customer routers and
servers/hosts but also among customer IEEE bridges.  VPLS is expected to
deliver the same level of service that current enterprise users are 
accustomed to from their own enterprise bridged networks or their 
Ethernet Service Providers.

When customer edge (CE) devices are IEEE bridges, then there are certain
issues and challenges that need to be accounted for in a VPLS network.  The
majority of these issues have been addressed in the IEEE 802.1ad
standard for provider bridges and they can be leveraged for VPLS
networks.  This document extends the provider edge (PE) model described in
RFC 4664 based on IEEE 802.1ad bridge module, and it illustrates a clear
demarcation between the IEEE bridge module and IETF LAN emulation
module.  By doing so, it shows that the majority of interoperability
issues with CE bridges can be delegated to the 802.1ad bridge
module, thus removing the burden on the IETF LAN emulation module
within a VPLS PE.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC