Subject: Document Action: 'SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) Usage of the Offer/Answer Model' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-sipping-sip-offeranswer-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:25:59 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) Usage of the Offer/Answer Model'
  (draft-ietf-sipping-sip-offeranswer-18.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipping-sip-offeranswer/

Technical Summary

   The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) utilizes the offer/answer model
   to establish and update multimedia sessions using the Session
   Description Protocol (SDP).  The description of the offer/answer
   model in SIP is dispersed across multiple RFCs.  This document
   summarizes all the current usages of the offer/answer model in SIP
   communication. Also, this document tries to incorporate the
   results of the discussions on the controversial issues to avoid
   repeating the same discussions later.

   This document does not make normative changes.  Rather, it recommends
   how to use the existing standards to best effect.

Working Group Summary

  This document began in the SIPPING working group, which reached 
   consensus to request publication of an earlier version. After IETF
   Last Call, the community identified several significant changes and
   additions to the document. There has been discussion around whether
   the document should be PS or BCP instead of informational, with the 
   consensus being that this document should be published as is to capture
   discussion to date and inform any future efforts to update the various
   proposed standards it references.

Document Quality

  This document has received detailed revew from Christer Holmberg, Rajeev
   Seth, Nataraju A B, Byron Campen, Jonathan Rosenberg, Gonzalo Camarillo,
   Yang Gao, and Ben Campbell.

Personnel

   Mary Barnes is the document's shepherd, Robert Sparks is the responsible AD.