Subject: Protocol Action: 'MPLS-TP Identifiers' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 07:55:04 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'MPLS-TP Identifiers'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-07.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies identifiers for MPLS-TP objects. Included are
   identifiers which are compatible with existing IP, MPLS, GMPLS, and
   Pseudowire definitions.

   The identifiers apply to the ends of Label Switched Paths (LSPs) and 
   the ends of Pseudowires. They also apply to the identifiable objects
   within Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM)
   Maintenance Entities.

Working Group Summary 

   This document defines a format for MPLS-TP LSP Identifiers based on
   global node IDs (ie, IP addresses). 

   A previous version of this draft included MPLS-TP identifiers based on
   ICCs (ITU Carrier Codes). However, late in the process, technical 
   problems with the global uniqueness of the ICC format were discovered.
   Due to the anticipated delay in getting these issues resolved, the ICC
   based identifiers have been removed from the document. It is anticipated
   that a further document handling ICC based identifiers will be developed
   once the issues have been resolved by the ITU-T.

   There was a request from a few people to allow use of a global node ID
   for one end of an LSP and an ICC based ID for the other end of the same
   LSP. After extensive discussion on the MPLS WG email list, there was
   a clear consensus to progress the document without support for mixed 
   use. Clearly this could not be done in any case until the issues with the
   ICC based identifier have been resolved. Future work on "mixed mode"
   identifiers was not ruled out.

   Other than these issues there was little controversy, and the document
   is needed for important ongoing work on MPLS-TP.

Document Quality 
  
   The document has been extensively reviewed and is an important basis
   for ongoing work on MPLS-TP. Many of the identifiers using standard 
   IETF addressing fields are already implemented by default in MPLS and
   pseudowire systems. A number of vendors are building MPLS-TP
   solutions and will include identifier formats described in this document. 

Personnel

   Ross Callon ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD