Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> (The WebSocket protocol) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 07:02:29 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the BiDirectional or
Server-Initiated HTTP WG (hybi) to consider the following document:
- 'The WebSocket protocol'
  <draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-07-25. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The WebSocket protocol enables two-way communication between a client
   running untrusted code running in a controlled environment to a
   remote host that has opted-in to communications from that code.  The
   security model used for this is the Origin-based security model
   commonly used by Web browsers.  The protocol consists of an opening
   handshake followed by basic message framing, layered over TCP.  The
   goal of this technology is to provide a mechanism for browser-based
   applications that need two-way communication with servers that does
   not rely on opening multiple HTTP connections (e.g. using
   XMLHttpRequest or <iframe>s and long polling).

   Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.