Subject: RFC 6306 on Hierarchical IPv4 Framework

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 17:31:04 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6306

        Title:      Hierarchical IPv4 Framework 
        Author:     P. Frejborg
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       July 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      65
        Characters: 160667
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-frejborg-hipv4-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6306.txt

This document describes a framework for how the current IPv4 address
space can be divided into two new address categories: a core address
space (Area Locators, ALOCs) that is globally unique, and an edge
address space (Endpoint Locators, ELOCs) that is regionally unique.  In
the future, the ELOC space will only be significant in a private
network or in a service provider domain.  Therefore, a 32x32 bit
addressing scheme and a hierarchical routing architecture are
achieved.  The hierarchical IPv4 framework is backwards compatible
with the current IPv4 Internet.

This document also discusses a method for decoupling the location and
identifier functions -- future applications can make use of the
separation.  The framework requires extensions to the existing Domain
Name System (DNS), the existing IPv4 stack of the endpoints, middleboxes,
and routers in the Internet.  The framework can be implemented
incrementally for endpoints, DNS, middleboxes, and routers.  This document 
defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the IRTF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC