Subject: RFC 6327 on Routing Bridges (RBridges): Adjacency

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:06:45 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6327

        Title:      Routing Bridges (RBridges): Adjacency 
        Author:     D. Eastlake 3rd, R. Perlman,
                    A. Ghanwani, D. Dutt,
                    V. Manral
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 59014
        Updates:    RFC6325

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-adj-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6327.txt

The IETF TRILL (TRansparent Interconnection of Lots of Links) protocol
provides optimal pair-wise data forwarding without configuration, safe
forwarding even during periods of temporary loops, and support for
multipathing of both unicast and multicast traffic.  TRILL accomplishes
this by using IS-IS (Intermediate System to Intermediate System) link
state routing and by encapsulating traffic using a header that
includes a hop count.  Devices that implement TRILL are called
Routing Bridges (RBridges).

TRILL supports multi-access LAN (Local Area Network) links that can
have multiple end stations and RBridges attached.  This document
describes four aspects of the TRILL LAN Hello protocol used on such
links, particularly adjacency, designated RBridge selection, and MTU
(Maximum Transmission Unit) and pseudonode procedures, with state
machines.  There is no change for IS-IS point-to-point Hellos used on
links configured as point-to-point in TRILL.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC