Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-opsawg-oam-overview-05.txt> (An Overview of Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) Mechanisms) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 08:49:02 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Operations and Management Area
Working Group WG (opsawg) to consider the following document:
- 'An Overview of Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM)
   Mechanisms'
  <draft-ietf-opsawg-oam-overview-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-07-20. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) is a general term
that refers to a toolset that can be used for fault detection and
localization, and for performance measurement. OAM mechanisms have
been defined for various layers in the protocol stack, and are used
with a variety of protocols.

This document presents an overview of the OAM mechanisms that have
been defined and are currently being defined by the IETF, as well as
a comparison to other OAM mechanisms that have been defined by the
IEEE and ITU-T.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-oam-overview/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-oam-overview/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.