Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-03.txt> (The Threat Analysis and Requirements for Cryptographic Authentication of Routing Protocols' Transports) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:05:09 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Keying and Authentication for
Routing Protocols WG (karp) to consider the following document:
- 'The Threat Analysis and Requirements for Cryptographic Authentication
   of Routing Protocols' Transports'
  <draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-08-15. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Different routing protocols exist and each employs its own mechanism
   for securing the protocol packets on the wire.  While most already
   have some method for accomplishing cryptographic message
   authentication, in many cases the existing methods are dated,
   vulnerable to attack, and employ cryptographic algorithms that have
   been deprecated.  The "Keying and Authentication for Routing
   Protocols" (KARP) effort aims to overhaul and improve these
   mechanisms.

   This document has two main parts - the first describes the threat
   analysis for attacks against routing protocols' transports and the
   second enumerates the requirements for addressing the described
   threats.  This document, along with the KARP design guide will be
   used by KARP design teams for specific protocol review and overhaul.
   This document reflects the input of both the IETF's Security Area and
   Routing Area in order to form a jointly agreed upon guidance.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.