Subject: RFC 6332 on Multicast Acquisition Report Block Type for RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Extended Reports (XRs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:20:11 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6332

        Title:      Multicast Acquisition Report Block Type 
                    for RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Extended 
                    Reports (XRs) 
        Author:     A. Begen, E. Friedrich
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 35217
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtext-multicast-acq-rtcp-xr-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6332.txt

In most RTP-based multicast applications, the RTP source sends inter-
related data.  Due to this interdependency, randomly joining RTP
receivers usually cannot start consuming the multicast data right
after they join the session.  Thus, they often experience a random
acquisition delay.  An RTP receiver can use one or more different
approaches to achieve rapid acquisition.  Yet, due to various
factors, performance of the rapid acquisition methods usually varies.
Furthermore, in some cases, the RTP receiver can do a simple
multicast join (in other cases, it is compelled to do so).  For
quality reporting, monitoring, and diagnostic purposes, it is
important to collect detailed information from the RTP receivers
about their acquisition and presentation experiences.  This document
addresses this issue by defining a new report block type, called the
Multicast Acquisition (MA) report block, within the framework of RTP
Control Protocol (RTCP) Extended Reports (XRs) (RFC 3611).  This
document also defines the necessary signaling of the new MA report
block type in the Session Description Protocol (SDP).  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC