Subject: RFC 6353 on Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport Model for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:59:43 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6353

        Title:      Transport Layer Security (TLS) Transport 
                    Model for the Simple Network Management 
                    Protocol (SNMP) 
        Author:     W. Hardaker
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      65
        Characters: 148571
        Obsoletes:  RFC5953

        I-D Tag:    RFC 5953

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6353.txt

This document describes a Transport Model for the Simple Network
Management Protocol (SNMP), that uses either the Transport Layer
Security protocol or the Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)
protocol.  The TLS and DTLS protocols provide authentication and
privacy services for SNMP applications.  This document describes how
the TLS Transport Model (TLSTM) implements the needed features of an
SNMP Transport Subsystem to make this protection possible in an
interoperable way.

This Transport Model is designed to meet the security and operational
needs of network administrators.  It supports the sending of SNMP
messages over TLS/TCP and DTLS/UDP.  The TLS mode can make use of
TCP's improved support for larger packet sizes and the DTLS mode
provides potentially superior operation in environments where a
connectionless (e.g., UDP) transport is preferred.  Both TLS and DTLS
integrate well into existing public keying infrastructures.

This document also defines a portion of the Management Information
Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols.  In particular,
it defines objects for managing the TLS Transport Model for SNMP. 
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Integrated Security Model for SNMP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Draft Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC