Subject: Document Action: 'Advisory Guidelines for 6to4 Deployment' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-advisory-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 09:13:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Advisory Guidelines for 6to4 Deployment'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-advisory-02.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-advisory/

Technical Summary 

   This document provides advice to network operators about deployment
   of the 6to4 technique for automatic tunneling of IPv6 over IPv4.  It
   is principally addressed to Internet Service Providers, including
   those that do not yet support IPv6, and to Content Providers.  Some
   advice to implementers is also included.  The intention of the advice
   is to minimise both user dissatisfaction and help desk calls.
 
Working Group Summary 

The IPv6 Operations Working Group discussed this in the first half of 2011. There is 
general consensus that the guidelines for improving 6to4 behavior are reasonable 
and helpful.

Document Quality 

The document was written by the original author of 6to4. Many of the people that 
commented in support of it observed that it was well written and informative. There 
are numerous 6to4 implementations; the issue in this context is that 6to4 was 
intended to have operational support when designed, and has been implemented 
largely without that operational support. As a result, it often doesn't perform as 
intended. This was discussed in Geoff Huston's talk in v6ops at IETF-80.

Personnel

Fred Baker is shepherd.