Subject: RFC 6304 on AS112 Nameserver Operations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:58:52 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6304

        Title:      AS112 Nameserver Operations 
        Author:     J. Abley, W. Maton
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 34002
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-ops-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6304.txt

Many sites connected to the Internet make use of IPv4 addresses that
are not globally unique.  Examples are the addresses designated in
RFC 1918 for private use within individual sites.

Devices in such environments may occasionally originate Domain Name
System (DNS) queries (so-called "reverse lookups") corresponding to
those private-use addresses.  Since the addresses concerned have only
local significance, it is good practice for site administrators to
ensure that such queries are answered locally.  However, it is not
uncommon for such queries to follow the normal delegation path in the
public DNS instead of being answered within the site.

It is not possible for public DNS servers to give useful answers to
such queries.  In addition, due to the wide deployment of private-use
addresses and the continuing growth of the Internet, the volume of
such queries is large and growing.  The AS112 project aims to provide
a distributed sink for such queries in order to reduce the load on
the IN-ADDR.ARPA authoritative servers.  The AS112 project is named
after the Autonomous System Number (ASN) that was assigned to it.

This document describes the steps required to install a new AS112
node and offers advice relating to such a node's operation.  This 
document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC