Subject: Document Action: 'IETF Operational Notes' (RFC 4693) to Historic RFC

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:15:23 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IETF Operational Notes'
RFC 4693 as a Historic RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this RFC is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc4693/

Technical Summary

This document describes a new document series (IONs) intended for use
as a repository for IETF operations documents, which should be more
ephemeral than RFCs, but more referenceable than internet-drafts, and
with more clear handling procedures than a random Web page.

It proposes to establish this series as an RFC 3933 process
experiment.

Working Group Summary

During IETF Last Call, concern was expressed that ION documents
must not be used to change matters of IETF process that require
IETF consensus. This experiment doesn't change the IESG's
authority, but it creates a systematic way to document procedural
decisions. Text was added to clarify that IONs cannot
override BCPs. The disposition of ION documents if the
experiment is deemed a failure was clarified, as were other
points questioned during Last Call. Finally, the IESG needs
to affirm its support for the experiment.

Protocol Quality

Reviewed by Brian Carpenter