Subject: RFC 6330 on RaptorQ Forward Error Correction Scheme for Object Delivery

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:57:17 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6330

        Title:      RaptorQ Forward Error Correction Scheme 
                    for Object Delivery 
        Author:     M. Luby, A. Shokrollahi,
                    M. Watson, T. Stockhammer,
                    L. Minder
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      69
        Characters: 169852
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-raptorq-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6330.txt

This document describes a Fully-Specified Forward Error Correction
(FEC) scheme, corresponding to FEC Encoding ID 6, for the RaptorQ FEC
code and its application to reliable delivery of data objects.

RaptorQ codes are a new family of codes that provide superior
flexibility, support for larger source block sizes, and better coding
efficiency than Raptor codes in RFC 5053.  RaptorQ is also a fountain
code, i.e., as many encoding symbols as needed can be generated on
the fly by the encoder from the source symbols of a source block of
data.  The decoder is able to recover the source block from almost
any set of encoding symbols of sufficient cardinality -- in most
cases, a set of cardinality equal to the number of source symbols is
sufficient; in rare cases, a set of cardinality slightly more than
the number of source symbols is required.

The RaptorQ code described here is a systematic code, meaning that
all the source symbols are among the encoding symbols that can be
generated.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC