Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-17.txt> (ARP Mediation for IP Interworking of Layer 2 VPN) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 06:54:44 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l2vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'ARP Mediation for IP Interworking of Layer 2 VPN'
  <draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-17.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-09-12. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

     The Virtual Private Wire Service (VPWS) [RFC4664] provides
     point-to-point connections between pairs of Customer Edge (CE)
     devices.  It does so by binding two Attachment Circuits (each
     connecting a CE device with a Provider Edge, PE, device) to a
     pseudowire (connecting the two PEs).  In general, the Attachment
     Circuits must be of the same technology (e.g., both Ethernet,
     both ATM), and the pseudowire must carry the frames of that
     technology.  However, if it is known that the frames' payload
     consists solely of IP datagrams, it is possible to provide a
     point-to-point connection in which the pseudowire connects
     Attachment Circuits of different technologies. This requires the
     PEs to perform a function known as "ARP Mediation". ARP
     Mediation refers to the process of resolving Layer 2 addresses
     when different resolution protocols are used on either
     Attachment Circuit. The methods described in this document are
     applicable even when the CEs run a routing protocol between
     them, as long as the routing protocol runs over IP.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.