Subject: Protocol Action: 'Guidelines for Considering New Performance Metric Development' to BCP (draft-ietf-pmol-metrics-framework-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 08:58:40 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Guidelines for Considering New Performance Metric Development'
  (draft-ietf-pmol-metrics-framework-12.txt) as a BCP

This document is the product of the Performance Metrics for Other Layers
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pmol-metrics-framework/

Technical Summary

   This document describes a framework and a process for developing
   performance metrics of protocols and applications transported over
   over IETF-specified protocols, and that can be used to characterize
   traffic on live networks and services.

Working Group Summary

There were no areas of controversy, as the elements of reasonable
performance metrics appear to be agreed in the practicing community.

Document Quality

This framework has already been used in the review of several RFCs as RFC 5814 and RFC 6076.

Personnel

   Al Morton is the Document Shepherd. Dan Romascanu is the 
   Responsible Area Director.