Subject: Last Call: <draft-kompella-l2vpn-l2vpn-07.txt> (Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Using BGP for Auto-discovery and Signaling) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:50:05 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Using BGP for Auto-discovery and
   Signaling'
  <draft-kompella-l2vpn-l2vpn-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-09-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (L2VPNs) based on Frame Relay or ATM
   circuits have been around a long time; more recently, Ethernet VPNs,
   including Virtual Private LAN Service, have become popular.
   Traditional L2VPNs often required a separate Service Provider
   infrastructure for each type, and yet another for the Internet and IP
   VPNs.  In addition, L2VPN provisioning was cumbersome.  This document
   presents a new approach to the problem of offering L2VPN services
   where the L2VPN customer's experience is virtually identical to that
   offered by traditional Layer 2 VPNs, but such that a Service Provider
   can maintain a single network for L2VPNs, IP VPNs and the Internet,
   as well as a common provisioning methodology for all services.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kompella-l2vpn-l2vpn/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kompella-l2vpn-l2vpn/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1149/