Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-af-04.txt> (RBridges: Appointed Forwarders) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:33:59 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transparent Interconnection of
Lots of Links WG (trill) to consider the following document:
- 'RBridges: Appointed Forwarders'
  <draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-af-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-09-13. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IETF TRILL (TRansparent Interconnection of Lots of Links)
   protocol provides least cost pair-wise data forwarding without
   configuration in multi-hop networks with arbitrary topology, safe
   forwarding even during periods of temporary loops, and support for
   multipathing of both unicast and multicast traffic. TRILL
   accomplishes this by using IS-IS (Intermediate System to Intermediate
   System) link state routing and by encapsulating traffic using a
   header that includes a hop count. Devices that implement TRILL are
   called RBridges.

   TRILL supports multi-access LAN (Local Area Network) links that can
   have multiple end stations and RBridges attached. Where multiple
   RBridges are attached to a link, native traffic to and from end
   stations on that link is handled by a subset of those RBridges called
   Appointed Forwarders, with the intent that native traffic in each
   VLAN (Virtual LAN) be handled by at most one RBridge.  The purpose of
   this document is to improve the documentation of the Appointed
   Forwarder mechanism.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-af/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-af/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.