Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Codecs and Profiles Parameters for "Bucket" Media Types' to Proposed Standard (draft-gellens-mime-bucket-bis-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 13:33:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Codecs and Profiles Parameters for "Bucket" Media Types'
  (draft-gellens-mime-bucket-bis-09.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gellens-mime-bucket-bis/

Technical Summary

   Several MIME type/subtype combinations exist that can contain
   different media formats.  A receiving agent thus needs to examine the
   details of such media content to determine if the specific elements
   can be rendered given an available set of codecs.  Especially when
   the end system has limited resources, or the connection to the end
   system has limited bandwidth, it is helpful to know from the Content-
   Type alone if the content can be rendered.

   This document specifies two parameters, "codecs" and "profiles",
   which are used with various MIME types or type/subtype combinations
   to allow for unambiguous specification of the codecs and/or profiles
   employed by the media formats contained within.  This document
   obsoletes RFC 4281; RFC 4281 defines the "codecs" parameter, which
   this document retains in a backwards compatible manner with minor
   clarifications; the "profiles" parameter is added by this document.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of a WG. It was reviewed by the
   Apps Review Team and got external review in MPEG DASH, the
   MPEG file format group, 3GPP SA4 and its equivalent 3GPP2 group,
   internal review by the Quicktime team at Apple, and comments from
   the MPEG21 chair.

Document Quality

   The MPEG DASH spec relies on this mechanism, but there are no
   known implementations to date.

Personnel

   Pete Resnick <[email-masked]> is shepherd and AD.