Subject: Protocol Action: 'Packet Loss and Delay Measurement for MPLS Networks' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-loss-delay-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 11:43:59 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Packet Loss and Delay Measurement for MPLS Networks'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-loss-delay-04.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-loss-delay/

Technical Summary

   The ability to measure and monitor one and two-way packet loss and delay 
   performance is a basic need of service providers delivering SLAs. These
   metrics are also realted to delay variation and channel throughput.

   This measurement capability also provides greater visibility for operators
   into the performance characteristics of their networks, thereby facilitating
   planning, troubleshooting, and evaluation.  This document specifies
   protocol mechanisms to enable the efficient and accurate measurement of
   these performance metrics in MPLS networks.

   This document specifies two closely-related protocols, one for packet
   loss measurement (LM), and one for packet delay measurement (DM).

Working Group Summary

   This document is an MPLS working group document. It is not part of the 
   MPLS-TP project, however the companion functionality for MPLS-based 
   Transport Networks makes reference to this document by defining a profile.
   The working group has reviewed this document with this fact in mind.

Document Quality

   The document is well reviewed in the MPLS working group 

Personnel

   Loa Andersson ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD