Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Path Computation Element (pce)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:50:14 -0700 (PDT)

The Path Computation Element (pce) working group in the Routing Area of 
the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please 
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Path Computation Element (pce)
-----------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group
Last Updated: 2011-08-11

Chairs:
  JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
  Julien Meuric <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Directors:
  Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Secretary:
  Daniel King <[email-masked]>

Mailing List:
  Address:	[email-masked]
  To Subscribe:	http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce
  Archive:	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pce/

Description of Working Group:

The PCE Working Group is chartered to specify the required protocols so
as to enable a Path Computation Element (PCE)-based architecture for the
computation of paths for MPLS and GMPLS Point to Point and Point to
Multi-point Traffic Engineered LSPs.

In this architecture path computation does not necessarily occur on the
head-end (ingress) LSR, but on some other path computation entity that
may physically not be located on each head-end LSR.

The PCE WG works on application of this model within a single domain
or within a group of domains (where a domain is a layer, IGP area or
Autonomous System with limited visibility from the head-end LSR). At
this time, applying this model to large groups of domains such as the
Internet is not thought to be possible, and the PCE WG will not spend
energy on that topic.

The WG specifies the PCE communication Protocol (PCEP) and needed
extensions for communication between LSRs (termed Path Computation
Clients - PCCs) and PCEs, and between cooperating PCEs. Security
mechanisms such as authentication and confidentiality are included.

The WG determines requirements for extensions to existing routing and
signaling protocols in support of the PCE architecture and the signaling
of inter-domain paths (e.g. RSVP-TE and its GMPLS variations). Any
necessary extensions will be produced in collaboration with the Working
Groups responsible for the protocols.

The WG also works on the mechanisms to for multi-layer path computation
and PCEP extensions for communication between several network layers.

The WG defines the required PCEP extensions for Wavelength Switched
Optical Networks (WSON) while keeping consistency with the GMPLS
architecture specified in the CCAMP WG.

Work Items:

- PCEP extensions for MPLS and GMPLS Traffic Engineered LSP path
  computation models involving PCE(s). This includes the case of
  computing the paths of intra and inter-domain TE LSPs. Such path
  computation includes the generation of primary, protection and
  recovery paths, as well as computations for (local/global)
  reoptimization and load balancing. Both intra- and inter-domain
  applications are covered.
- In cooperation with protocol specific Working Group (e.g., MPLS,
  CCAMP), development of LSP signaling (RSVP-TE) extensions required
  to support PCE-based path computation models.
- Specification of PCEP extensions for communication in the various
  GMPLS-controlled networks, including WSON.
- Definition of PCEP extensions for path computation in multi-layer
  networks.

Goals and Milestones:

Done      Submit first draft of PCE architecture document
Done      Submit first draft of PCE discovery requirements and protocol 
          extensions documents
Done      Submit first draft of the PCE communication protocol 
          requirements
Done      Submit first draft of the definition of objective metrics
Done      Submit first draft of the PCE communication protocol 
          specification
Done      Submit PCE architecture specification to the IESG to be 
          considered as Informational RFC
Done      Submit first draft of the MIB module for the PCE protocol
Done      Submit PCE communication protocol requirements to the IESG to 
          be considered as an Informational RFC
Done      Submit PCE discovery protocol extensions specifications to the 
          IESG to be considered as a Proposed Standard
Done      Submit PCE communication protocol specification to the IESG to 
          be considered as a Proposed Standard
Done      Submit first draft of the PCE P2MP communication requirements
Done      Submit first draft of the PCE P2MP PCEP protocol extensions
Done      Submit PCE P2MP communication requirements to the IESG to be 
          considered as an Informational RFC
Done      Submit PCE P2MP PCEP protocol extensions to the IESG to be 
          considered as an Proposed Standard RFC
Done      Submit applicability and metrics documents to the IESG
Oct 2011  Submit WSON requirements to the IESG to be considered as an 
          Informational RFC
Dec 2011  Submit extensions for hierarchical PCE path computation model 
          as WG document
Jan 2012  Submit the PCEP MIB to the IESG to be considered as a Proposed 
          Standard
Jan 2012  Submit P2MP MIB as a WG document
Feb 2012  Submit the discovery MIB to the IESG to be considered as a 
          Proposed Standard
Feb 2012  Submit inter-layer extensions to the IESG to be considered as 
          a Proposed Standard
Mar 2012  Submit inter-area/AS applicability statement to the IESG as an 
          informational RFC
Mar 2012  Submit PCEP extensions for WSON as a WG document
Apr 2012  Submit the GMPLS requirements to the IESG to be considered as 
          an Informational RFC
Jun 2012  Submit PCEP extensions for GMPLS to the IESG to be considered 
          as a Proposed Standard
Aug 2012  Submit PCEP extensions for WSON to the IESG to be considered 
          as a Proposed Standard
Oct 2012  Submit P2MP MIB to the IESG to be considered as a Proposed 
          Standard
Feb 2013  Submit extensions for hierarchical model to the IESG to be 
          considered as a Proposed Standard
Mar 2013  Evaluate WG progress, recharter or close