Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Protocol for Provisioning Resource Certificates' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sidr-rescerts-provisioning-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:59:25 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Protocol for Provisioning Resource Certificates'
  (draft-ietf-sidr-rescerts-provisioning-11.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-rescerts-provisioning/

Technical Summary

This document defines a framework for certificate management
interactions between a resource issuer ("Issuer") and a resource
recipient ("Subject") through the specification of a protocol for
interaction between the two parties.  The protocol supports the
transmission of requests from the Subject, and corresponding
responses from the Issuer encompassing the actions of certificate
issuance, certificate revocation and certificate status information
reports.  This protocol is intended to be limited to the application
of resource certificate management and is not intended to be used as
part of a more general certificate management framework.

Working Group Summary

The working group progress with this draft has been smooth.  The most
contentious issue related to the use of TLS in the protocol.  While the
use of TLS seemed to be a generally good idea, the operational
difficulties reported by users and implementers and the lack of any clear
benefit from TLS convinced the working group to remove it from the protocol.

Document Quality

The document is well written and clear. There are independent
implementations of this protocol and planned implementations, not by
vendors but by RIRs who are the critical deployment points of this
protocol.

Personnel

Sandra Murphy is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.