Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: vCard and CardDAV (vcarddav)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 10:02:22 -0700 (PDT)

The vCard and CardDAV (vcarddav) working group in the Applications Area 
of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please 
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

vCard and CardDAV (vcarddav)
-----------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group
Last Updated: 2011-8-04

Chairs:
  Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Directors:
  Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
  Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor:
  Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>

Mailing List:
  Address:	[email-masked]
  To Subscribe:	http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav
  Archive:	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/

Description of Working Group:

A personal address book (PAB) contains a read/write copy of attributes
describing a user's interpersonal contacts. This is distinct from a
directory which contains a primarily read-only copy of users within an
organization. While these two data objects share a large number of
common attributes, their use and access patterns are fundamentally
different. The IETF has a standards-track data format (vCard 4.0) and an
access protocol (CardDAV) for the interchange of both PABs and user
directory entry data objects.

Having completed its work on the base vCard and CardDAV specifications,
the VCARDDAV working group currently focuses on extensions to those two
technologies. In particular, the WG will complete the following work:

(1) A limited set of extensions to vCard (and its XML representation) as
well as to CardDAV. Extensions are accepted for group consideration
based on normal IETF consensus rules and in consultation with the
responsible Area Director.

(2) A lossless mapping between LDAP and vCard 4.0.

Goals and Milestones

Sep 2011        Submit simple extensions to IESG as Proposed Standard
               - draft-ietf-vcarddav-kind-app
               - draft-ietf-vcarddav-birth-death-extensions

Nov 2011        Adopt draft for LDAP mapping as working group item
               - draft-cal-resource-schema or its equivalent will be
                 taken as the starting point

Dec 2011        Submit social networking extensions to IESG as Proposed
               Standard
               - draft-george-vcarddav-vcard-extension will be taken
                 as the starting point

Dec 2011        Submit OMA extensions to IESG as Proposed Standard
               - draft-cauchie-vcarddav-oma-cab-extensions will be
                 taken as the starting point

Dec 2011        Submit CardDAV extensions to IESG as Proposed Standard
               - draft-daboo-carddav-directory-gateway will be taken
                 as the starting point

April 2012      Submit LDAP mapping to IESG as Proposed Standard