Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for MPEG-4 Audio/Visual Streams' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-payload-rfc3016bis-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:38:40 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTP Payload Format for MPEG-4 Audio/Visual Streams'
  (draft-ietf-payload-rfc3016bis-03.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Payloads
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-payload-rfc3016bis/

Technical Summary

"This document describes Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) payload formats
for carrying each of MPEG-4 Audio and MPEG-4 Visual bitstreams without using
MPEG-4 Systems. For the purpose of directly mapping MPEG-4 Audio/Visual
bitstreams onto RTP packets, it provides specifications for the use of RTP
header fields and also specifies fragmentation rules. It also provides
specifications for Media Type registration and the use of Session
Description Protocol (SDP). The audio payload format described in this
document has some limitations for new system designs [RFC3640] is
preferred."

Working Group Summary

The draft was submitted to address inconsistency between RFC3016 and its use
in 3GPP that defined an additional parameter. The individual draft was
submitted in February 2009. It had some reviews until the WGLC but there
were no controversy. During the WGLC there were some comments that were
addressed and there were no open issues before we submitted it to
publication.

Document Quality

The media type review was posted on April 28, 2011.

The document updates RFC3016 to support existing implementations that comply
with the specification in 3GPP PSS. Based on the reviews we are not aware of
any implementation that use RFC3016 not based on 3GPP PSS specification. 

RFC Editor Note (applies to -03)

In the abstract:
s/Therefore, for new/Therefore, new/
s/interopeable/interoperable/
s/discussed backwards/discusses backwards/