Subject: Protocol Action: 'Mechanism for performing LSP-Ping over MPLS tunnels' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-enhanced-dsmap-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 07:30:55 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Mechanism for performing LSP-Ping over MPLS tunnels'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-enhanced-dsmap-11.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-enhanced-dsmap/

Technical Summary

This documents describes methods for performing lsp-ping traceroute
over mpls tunnels. The techniques specified in [RFC4379] outline a
traceroute mechanism that includes FEC validation and ECMP path
discovery. Those mechanisms are insufficient and do not provide
details in case the FEC being traced traverses one or more mpls
tunnels and in case where LSP stitching is in use. This document
defines enhancements to the downstream-mapping TLV [RFC4379] to make
it more extensible and to enable retrieval of detailed information.
Using the enhanced TLV format along with the existing definitions of
[RFC4379], this document describes procedures by which a traceroute
request can correctly traverse mpls tunnels with proper FEC and label
validations.

Working Group Summary

The document has been reviewed by the MPLS working and has been
progressed in parallel with draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-p2mp through the
working group last call process.

Document Quality

The document is well reviewed by the MPLS working groups. 

Personnel

Ross Callon is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.