Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-grow-no-more-unallocated-slash8s-03.txt> (Time to Remove Filters for Previously Unallocated IPv4 /8s) to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:30:24 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Global Routing Operations WG
(grow) to consider the following document:
- 'Time to Remove Filters for Previously Unallocated IPv4 /8s'
  <draft-ietf-grow-no-more-unallocated-slash8s-03.txt> as a BCP

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-10-12. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   It has been common for network administrators to filter IP traffic
   from and BGP prefixes of unallocated IPv4 address space.  Now that
   there are no longer any unallocated IPv4 /8s, this practise is more
   complicated, fragile and expensive.  Network administrators are
   advised to remove filters based on the registration status of the
   address space.

   This document explains why any remaining packet and BGP prefix
   filters for unallocated IPv4 /8s should now be removed on border
   routers and documents those IPv4 unicast prefixes that should not be
   routed across the public Internet.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-no-more-unallocated-slash8s/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-no-more-unallocated-slash8s/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.