Subject: Last Call: <draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation-16.txt> (Recommendations for the Remediation of Bots in ISP Networks) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 06:52:22 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Recommendations for the Remediation of Bots in ISP Networks'
  <draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation-16.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-10-21. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document contains recommendations on how Internet Service
   Providers can manage the effects of computers used by their
   subscribers, which have been infected with malicious bots, via
   various remediation techniques.  Internet users with infected
   computers are exposed to risks such as loss of personal data, as well
   as increased susceptibility to online fraud and/or phishing.  Such
   computers can also become an inadvertent participant in or component
   of an online crime network, spam network, and/or phishing network, as
   well as be used as a part of a distributed denial of service attack.
   Mitigating the effects of and remediating the installations of
   malicious bots will make it more difficult for botnets to operate and
   could reduce the level of online crime on the Internet in general
   and/or on a particular Internet Service Provider's network.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.