Subject: Protocol Action: 'Best Current Practice for Communications Services in support of Emergency Calling' to BCP (draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-20.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:28:16 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Best Current Practice for Communications Services in support of
   Emergency Calling'
  (draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-20.txt) as a BCP

This document is the product of the Emergency Context Resolution with
Internet Technologies Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp/

Technical Summary

This document describes how access networks, SIP user agents, proxy
servers and PSAPs support emergency calling, as outlined in
[I-D.ietf-ecrit-framework], which is designed to complement the present
document in section headings, numbering and content. This BCP succinctly
describes the requirements of end devices and applications, access
networks (including enterprise access networks), service providers and
PSAPs to achieve globally interoperable emergency calling on the Internet.

Working Group Summary

While there has been some past controversy around some of the exact
wording in this document, there is overall wg consensus that this document
- in its present form - should be published. The WG as a whole has been
working on the document. There was significant discussion around an
Applicability Statement. Text was submitted and rejected by the WG. See:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ecrit/current/msg06434.html

Document Quality

This document has had multiple WG reviews from key WG members. This
document was vetted via the Emergency Services Workshop at of it¹s several
meetings. Organizations participating include: 3GPP, 3GPP2, ETSI EMTEL,
NENA, IEEE, EENA, etc.

Personnel

   Robert Sparks is responsible AD. 

RFC Editor Note (applies to -20)

In section 6.6, ED-26/INT-20:
OLD:
bootstrapping, and does not use it MUST include
NEW:
bootstrapping, and does not use its own measurement to determine location, it MUST include