Subject: Document Action: 'Rationale for update to the IPv6 flow label specification' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-6man-flow-update-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:43:45 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Rationale for update to the IPv6 flow label specification'
  (draft-ietf-6man-flow-update-07.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-flow-update/

Technical Summary 

       Various published proposals for use of the IPv6 flow label are
       incompatible with its original specification in RFC 3697.
       Furthermore, very little practical use is made of the flow label,
       partly due to some uncertainties about the correct interpretation of
       the specification.  This document discusses and motivates changes to
       the specification in order to clarify it, and to introduce some
       additional flexibility.

Working Group Summary 

        This document was reviewed by the 6man WG and
        represents the consensus of that groups.

Document Quality 

        This document has been reviewed by the members and co-chairs
        of the 6MAN working group.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is Brian Haberman, and the responsible Area Director is Jari Arkko.

RFC Editor Note

  Please change in Section 2:
  OLD:
  It is not made clear by the rule that there is an implied distinction
  between stateless models (in which case no assumption may be made)
  and stateful models (in which the router has explicit knowledge).
  NEW:
  It is   not made clear by the rule that there is an implied distinction
  between stateless models (in which there is no signaling, so no specific
  assumption about the meaning of the flow label value can be made)
  and stateful models (in which there is signaling and the router has explicit
  knowledge about the label).