Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using the Generic Associated Channel Label for Pseudowire in MPLS-TP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw-01.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:35:49 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using the Generic Associated Channel Label for Pseudowire in MPLS-TP'
  (draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw-01.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw/

Technical Summary

This document describes the requirements for using the Generic
Associated Channel Label (GAL) in Pseudowires (PWs) in MPLS-TP
networks, and provides an update to the description of GAL usage
in RFC5586 by removing the restriction that is imposed on using
GAL for PWs especially in MPLS-TP environments. This is required
to allow PWs that do not use a PW control word to be used in MPLS-TP
and for them to use the full range of MPLS-TP OAM supported by the G-ACh.

This document is a product of the PWE3 working group.

This document is STANDARDS TRACK.

Working Group Summary

There is consensus in  the working group for this change to RFC5586.

Document Quality

There are no concerns with document quality. 

Personnel

Matthew Bocci ([email-masked]) is 
the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant ([email-masked]) is the Responsible 
Area Director

RFC Editor Note

In abstract
s/[RFC5586]/RFC5586/

Section 1
s/associated control channel/Associated Channel/  (per RFC 5085)
s/generalizes this for use in the/generalizes this for use as the/
s/but places restrictions on GAL usage with PWs. /but prohibits GAL usage with PWs./

In section 3

OLD
[RFC3985] architectures appropriate
NEW
[RFC3985] architectures as appropriate
END

s/but not for PWs using an MPLS-TP PSN./ but not for PWs in an MPLS-TP network./ 

... and at the very bottom of section 3

OLD
      is replaced by:

          In MPLS-TP, the GAL MUST be used with packets on a G-ACh on
          LSPs, Concatenated Segments of LSPs, and with Sections, and
          MAY be used with PWs. It MUST always be at the bottom of the
          label stack (i.e., S bit set to 1). However, in other MPLS
          environments, this document places no restrictions on where
          the GAL may appear within the label stack.

NEW

      is replaced by:

          In MPLS-TP, the GAL MUST be used with packets on a G-ACh on
          LSPs, Concatenated Segments of LSPs, and with Sections, and
          MAY be used with PWs. The presence of a GAL indicates that
          an ACH immediately follows the MPLS label stack.  
END