Subject: Protocol Action: 'IP Router Alert Considerations and Usage' to BCP (draft-ietf-intarea-router-alert-considerations-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:25:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IP Router Alert Considerations and Usage'
  (draft-ietf-intarea-router-alert-considerations-10.txt) as a BCP

This document is the product of the Internet Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-router-alert-considerations/

Technical Summary

   The IP Router Alert Option is an IP option that alerts transit
   routers to more closely examine the contents of an IP packet.  RSVP,
   PGM, IGMP/MLD, MRD and GIST are some of the protocols that make use
   of the IP Router Alert option.  This document discusses security
   aspects and usage guidelines around the use of the current IP Router
   Alert option.  Specifically, it provides recommendation against using
   the Router Alert in the end-to-end open Internet as well as identify
   controlled environments where protocols depending on Router Alert can
   be used safely.  It also provides recommendation about protection
   approaches for Service Providers.  Finally it provides brief
   guidelines for Router Alert implementation on routers.

Working Group Summary

   The normal WG process was followed and the document as it stands now
   reflects WG consensus with nothing special worth mentioning.

Document Quality

   The document was given adequate reviews. The Document Shepherd has
   no concerns about the depth or breadth of these reviews.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Julien Laganier. The responsible Area Director is
   Ralph Droms.