Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-alt-09.txt> (LISP Alternative Topology (LISP+ALT)) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 07:47:15 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Locator/ID Separation Protocol
WG (lisp) to consider the following document:
- 'LISP Alternative Topology (LISP+ALT)'
  <draft-ietf-lisp-alt-09.txt> as an Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-10-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a simple distributed index system to be used
   by a Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) Ingress Tunnel Router
   (ITR) or Map Resolver (MR) to find the Egress Tunnel Router (ETR)
   which holds the mapping information for a particular Endpoint
   Identifier (EID).  The MR can then query that ETR to obtain the
   actual mapping information, which consists of a list of Routing
   Locators (RLOCs) for the EID.  Termed the Alternative Logical
   Topology (ALT), the index is built as an overlay network on the
   public Internet using the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) and the
   Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE).  Using these proven protocols,
   the ALT can be built and deployed relatively quickly without any
   changes to the existing routing infrastructure.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-alt/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-alt/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.