Subject: Document Action: 'Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) Protocol Extensions' to Experimental RFC (draft-forte-lost-extensions-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:42:45 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) Protocol Extensions'
  (draft-forte-lost-extensions-08.txt) as an Experimental RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-forte-lost-extensions/

Technical Summary

An important class of location-based services answer the question "What
instances of this service are closest to me?" Examples include finding
restaurants, gas stations, stores, automated teller machines, wireless access
points (hot spots) or parking spaces. Currently, the Location-to-Service
Translation (LoST) protocol only supports mapping locations to a single service
based on service regions. This document describes an extension that allows
queries of the type "N nearest", "within distance X" and "served by".

Working Group Summary

This document was considered by the ECRIT working group, which declined to work
on this document in order to maintain a focus on emergency services (rather than
other uses of the LoST protocol). The main discussion among those interested
focused on the interaction with the emergency case, which was ultimately judged
to be manageable (see the Security Considerations).

Document Quality

The document has received reviews from several active members of the ECRIT
community. A review by Shida Schubert of an earlier version noted several
potential issues (mainly related to interoperability with RFC 5222), which have
been addressed in this version. 

Personnel

Richard Barnes is the document shepherd.
Robert Sparks is the responsible area director.