Subject: RFC 6383 on Advice on When It Is Safe to Start Sending Data on Label Switched Paths Established Using RSVP-TE

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:09:28 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6383

        Title:      Advice on When It Is 
                    Safe to Start Sending Data on 
                    Label Switched Paths Established Using RSVP-TE 
        Author:     K. Shiomoto, A. Farrel
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 26456
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-shiomoto-ccamp-switch-programming-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6383.txt

The Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) has been extended to support
Traffic Engineering (TE) in Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and
Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) networks.  The protocol enables signaling
exchanges to establish Label Switched Paths (LSPs) that traverse
nodes and link to provide end-to-end data paths.  Each node is
programmed with "cross-connect" information as the signaling messages
are processed.  The cross-connection information instructs the node
how to forward data that it receives.

End points of an LSP need to know when it is safe to start sending
data so that it is not misdelivered, and so that safety issues
specific to optical data-plane technology are satisfied.  Likewise,
all label switching routers along the path of the LSP need to know
when to program their data planes relative to sending and receiving
control-plane messages.

This document clarifies and summarizes the RSVP-TE protocol exchanges
with relation to the programming of cross-connects along an LSP for
both unidirectional and bidirectional LSPs.  This document does not
define any new procedures or protocol extensions, and defers
completely to the documents that provide normative references.  The
clarifications set out in this document may also be used to help
interpret LSP establishment performance figures for MPLS-TE and GMPLS
devices.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; 
it is
published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC