Subject: Document Action: 'Applicability of Keying Methods for RSVP Security' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-security-groupkeying-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:27:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Applicability of Keying Methods for RSVP Security'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-security-groupkeying-11.txt) as an Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Harrington and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-security-groupkeying/

Technical Summary

The Resource reSerVation Protocol [RFC2205] allows hop-by-hop 
authentication of RSVP neighbors, as specified in [RFC2747].  In this 
mode, an integrity object is attached to each RSVP message to 
transmit a keyed message digest.  This message digest allows the 
recipient to verify the identity of the RSVP node that sent the 
message, and to validate the integrity of the message.  Through the 
inclusion of a sequence number in the scope of the digest, the digest 
also offers replay protection.

This document discusses a variety of keying methods and their 
applicability to different RSVP deployment environments, for both 
message integrity and encryption.  It is meant as a comparative guide 
to understand where each RSVP keying method is best deployed, and the 
limitations of each method.  Furthermore, it discusses how RSVP hop 
by hop authentication is impacted in the presence of non-RSVP nodes, 
or subverted nodes, in the reservation path.

The document "RSVP Security Properties" ([RFC4230]) provides an 
overview of RSVP security, including RSVP Cryptographic 
Authentication [RFC2747], but does not discuss key management.  It 
states that "RFC 2205 assumes that security associations are already 
available".  The present document focuses specifically on key 
management with different key types, including group keys.  Therefore 
this document complements [RFC4230].

Working Group Summary

Understanding that 'strong' consensus is nearly impossible in an open 
area WG such as TSVWG, with 5-6 sub-groups within this WG divided 
along technology focuses -- there is unwavering consensus in the WG 
amongst interested parties to publish this document. It has been 
reviewed by several people in the WG last call. Comments raised have 
been addressed, including those from the Sec-dir.

A question was raised by the AD about the wording in the IPR declaration
(does the non-assert include Informational documents?)
The WG discussed this IPR declaration and have no objection to publishing.

Document Quality
 
   Key members of the WG have reviewed this document.
   This was reviewed by the RSVP Directorate.
    Stephen Kent provided a detailed secdir review.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd:  James Polk. 
   Responsible Area Director:  David Harrington
   There are no IANA registrations specified by this document.