Subject: Re: Informational RFC to be: <draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-10.txt>

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:45:02 -0700

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'Overview of Email DNSBL
Best Practise' <draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-10.txt> as an
Informational RFC.

The IESG wants to make the IRSG aware of its concern that there is
a potential for confusion between the IETF "Best Current Practice" (BCP)
series and the use of the term "Best Practise" in the title and the abstract
as well as the use of the acronym "BCP" in the page header of each
page and in sections 1.2 and 3.6. Anything that the IRSG can do to
avoid this confusion would be appreciated.

The IESG would also like the IRSG to review the comments in
the datatracker
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists/) related
to this document and determine whether or not they merit incorporation
into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot and the comment
log.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists/

The process for such documents is described at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

   The rise of spam and other anti-social behavior on the Internet has
   led to the creation of shared DNS-based lists ("DNSBLs") of IP
   addresses or domain names intended to help guide email filtering.
   This memo summarizes guidelines of accepted best practise for the
   management of public DNSBLs by their operators as well as for the
   proper use of such lists by mail server administrators (DNSBL users),
   and it provides useful background for both parties.  It is not
   intended to advise on the utility or efficacy of particular DNSBLs or
   the DNSBL concept in general, nor to assist end users with questions
   about spam.

Working Group Summary

   This document is a product of the Anti-Spam Research Group and
   represents the consensus of that group.

Document Quality

   This document is a research publication of the IRTF.

Personnel

   Pete Resnick <[email-masked]> is the responsible Area Director.

IESG Note

   The IESG has concluded that this work is related to IETF work done
   in the MARF WG and the as-yet-unchartered REPUTE BOF, but this relationship
   does not prevent publishing.