Subject: IETF 88 in Vancouver

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:42:59 -0700 (PDT)

The IAOC is pleased to announce Vancouver, BC, Canada as the site for IETF 88 from November 3 - 8, 2013.  
This will be the IETF's fifth meeting in Vancouver, the others being 18, 64, 70 and 84.  

IETF 88 was targeted to be held in Asia-Pacific, however after a 7 month search we were unable to find a 
venue on our dates, that was reasonably priced for attendees and sponsors, met our meeting space and
technology requirements, and had an acceptable visa policy.  We looked at a total of 43 venues in 11 cities 
including:

 Singapore
 Hong Kong
 Kuala Lumpur
 Shanghai
 Manila
 Seoul
 Vietnam
 Macau
 Auckland
 Bangkok, and 
 Honolulu and Waikoloa

 In some venues guest room rates were over $300 a night, and for others the meeting space cost was among
the very highest we have ever seen.  

Those disqualifying factors together with our commitment to completing venue selections three years in
advance compelled us to make a decision and move on.

The venue in Vancouver had been pre-qualified, has a guest room rate of $169 CAD including Internet, 
complimentary meeting space and a Welcome Reception sponsorship.  And for the first time we negotiated
an option for a future meeting with the same attractive features.  

While Vancouver clearly isn't in the Asia-Pacific region, it at least minimizes travel from many places in Asia.

Our commitment to finding Asia-Pacific venues is unwavering, however as we have reported at Plenary we 
have experienced difficulties.  We are moving ahead.  We have a site visit scheduled in October for IETF 91
in 2014 and have a solid Host interest for 2015.  Furthermore we are investigating the use of paid 3rd party
intermediaries to negotiate arrangements in the region.  

We welcome your assistance and volunteering to Host or sponsor meetings in Asia-Pacific, and elsewhere.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director