Subject: Protocol Action: 'Carrying Q.850 Codes in Reason Header Fields in SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) Responses' to Proposed Standard (draft-jesske-dispatch-update3326-reason-responses-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:04:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Carrying Q.850 Codes in Reason Header Fields in SIP (Session
   Initiation Protocol) Responses'
  (draft-jesske-dispatch-update3326-reason-responses-05.txt) as a
Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jesske-dispatch-update3326-reason-responses/

          Technical Summary
            Currently, RFC3326 is non-specific as to the use of the
            Reason header field in SIP responses.  However, existing
            deployments have been using Reason header fields in responses
            to carry Q.850 reason codes for failure responses to INVITE
            requests that have been sent via gateways to PSTN systems.
            This document normatively describes the use of the Reason
            header field in SIP responses to carry Q.850 reason codes.

          Working Group Summary
            The DISPATCH WG and RAI Area supports the development and
            advancement of this document.

          Document Quality
            This document defines no new protocol elements.
            The document was thoroughly reviewed within the DISPATCH WG
            and within the RAI area.

          Personnel
            Mary Barnes is the document shepherd. Gonzalo Camarillo is the
            responsible Area director.

          RFC Editor Note

Make the following change in the first sentence of the Abstract and in the first sentence of the Overview Section.

OLD:
   Although the use of the Reason header field in responses is
   considered in general in RFC3326

NEW:
   Although the use of the SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) Reason header field in responses is
   considered in general in RFC3326

Change the author's email address from [email-masked] to [email-masked]