Subject: Document Action: 'Sockets API Extensions for Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-32.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:17:32 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Sockets API Extensions for Stream Control Transmission Protocol
(SCTP)'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-32.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Wesley Eddy and David Harrington.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket/

Technical Summary

 The sockets API has provided a standard mapping of the Internet
Protocol suite to many operating systems. Both TCP [RFC0793] and UDP
[RFC0768] have benefited from this standard representation and access
method across many diverse platforms. SCTP is a new protocol that
provides many of the characteristics of TCP but also incorporates
semantics more akin to UDP. This document defines a method to map
the existing sockets API for use with SCTP, providing both a base for
access to new features and compatibility so that most existing TCP
applications can be migrated to SCTP with few (if any) changes.

Working Group Summary
 
There is strong consensus in the TSVWG among the participants
involved in SCTP behind this document.  There were several reviews
during the WGLC, implemented many times, and there were no
significant dissenting views expressed.

Protocol Quality
 
This SCTP Socket API is implemented in many code bases, namely

FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris by the coauthors

Thomas Dreibholz <[email-masked]> in the
well-known SCTPLIB userland SCTP implementation, and in RSPLIB

Irene Rüngeler in the INET framework which is a
widely used part of the OMNeT++ simulation environment.

"Becke, Martin" <[email-masked]> the
described API as co-author of the measurement tool netperfmeter.

Robin Seggelmann <[email-masked]>
implemented SCTP support for OpenSSL and the API draft.

Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
(a coauthor) the ID was also used for the SCTP
kernel implementations in HP-UX and AIX. The
FreeBSD implementation has been ported to Windows and Mac OS X.

Jon Leighton <[email-masked]>
implementations including creating SCTP enabled
versions of NSPR, Firefox and Chrome, on multiple platforms.

RFC Editor Note

In the code samples in Appendix A and B, please add <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE ENDS> at the beginning and end of each of the example code files.