Subject: RFC 6384 on An FTP Application Layer Gateway (ALG) for IPv6-to-IPv4 Translation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 17:18:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6384

        Title:      An FTP Application Layer Gateway 
                    (ALG) for IPv6-to-IPv4 Translation 
        Author:     I. van Beijnum
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 38126
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-behave-ftp64-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6384.txt

The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) has a very long history, and despite
the fact that today other options exist to perform file transfers,
FTP is still in common use.  As such, in situations where some client
computers only have IPv6 connectivity while many servers are still
IPv4-only and IPv6-to-IPv4 translators are used to bridge that gap,
it is important that FTP is made to work through these translators to
the best possible extent.

FTP has an active and a passive mode, both as original commands that
are IPv4-specific and as extended, IP version agnostic commands.  The
only FTP mode that works without changes through an IPv6-to-IPv4
translator is extended passive.  However, many existing FTP servers
do not support this mode, and some clients do not ask for it.  This
document specifies a middlebox that may solve this mismatch.  
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC