Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc1948bis-01.txt> (Defending Against Sequence Number Attacks) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:38:52 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the TCP Maintenance and Minor
Extensions WG (tcpm) to consider the following document:
- 'Defending Against Sequence Number Attacks'
  <draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc1948bis-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-11-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document specifies an algorithm for the generation of TCP
   Initial Sequence Numbers (ISNs), such that the chances of an off-path
   attacker guessing the sequence numbers in use by a target connection
   are reduced.  This document revises (and formally obsoletes) RFC
   1948, and takes the ISN generation algorithm originally proposed in
   that document to Standards Track.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc1948bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc1948bis/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.