Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-dtls-heartbeat-03.txt> (Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Heartbeat Extension) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 17:48:42 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Layer Security WG
(tls) to consider the following document:
- 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Datagram Transport Layer Security
   (DTLS) Heartbeat Extension'
  <draft-ietf-tls-dtls-heartbeat-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-10-18. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes the Heartbeat Extension for the Transport
   Layer Security (TLS) and Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)
   protocol.

   The Heartbeat Extension provides a new protocol for TLS/DTLS allowing
   the usage of keep-alive functionality without performing a
   renegotiation and a basis for path maximum transmission unit (PMTU)
   discovery for DTLS.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-dtls-heartbeat/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-dtls-heartbeat/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.