Subject: Document Action: 'Complaint Feedback Loop Operational Recommendations' to Informational RFC (draft-jdfalk-maawg-cfblbcp-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 07:15:57 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Complaint Feedback Loop Operational Recommendations'
  (draft-jdfalk-maawg-cfblbcp-03.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jdfalk-maawg-cfblbcp/

Technical Summary 

   The intent of a Complaint Feedback Loop is to provide Feedback
   Consumers with information necessary to mitigate Spam or the
   perception of Spam. Thus, feedback was originally only offered to
   mailbox, access and network providers - in other words, to ISPs - who
   would use the feedback to identify network compromises and fraudulent
   accounts, or to notify their downstream customer that there may be a
   problem.

   Senders of bulk, transactional, social or other types of email can
   also use this feedback to adjust their mailing practices, using Spam
   Complaints as an indicator of whether the Recipient wishes to
   continue receiving email.  Common reactions often include refining
   opt-in practices, mailing frequency, list management, message content
   and other measures.

   This document re-publishes practices recommended by the Messaging
   Anti-Abuse Working Group (MAAWG) related to Complaint Feedback Loops.

Working Group Summary

   Nothing to note; this document was developed in MAAWG, an industry
   consortium.

Document Quality

   A number of MAAWG member organizations have endorsed these
   recommendations and are implementing them in their mail systems.

Personnel

   Barry Leiba <[email-masked]> is the Document Shepherd
   Pete Resnick <[email-masked]> is the Responsible Area Director

RFC Editor Note

    Please make the following change to the second paragraph of the Abstract:

    OLD

        This paper is the result of cooperative efforts within the
        Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group, a trade organization
        separate from the IETF.  The original MAAWG document upon which
        this document is based was published in April, 2010.  This
        document is being published as an Informational RFC to make it
        widely available to the Internet community and simplify
        reference to this material from IETF work.

    NEW

        This document is the result of cooperative efforts within the
        Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group, a trade organization
        separate from the IETF.  The original MAAWG document upon which
        this document is based was published in April, 2010.  This
        document does not represent the consensus of the IETF, but
        rather is being published as an Informational RFC to make it
        widely available to the Internet community and simplify
        reference to this material from IETF work.

   The IESG would like to use the following 5741 boilerplate for this document:

   Status of this Memo

    This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it
    is published for informational purposes.

    This document is a product of the Internet Engineering Task Force
    (IETF).  It has been approved for publication by the Internet
    Engineering Steering Group (IESG). Not all documents approved by the
    IESG are a candidate for any level of Internet Standard; see Section
    2 of RFC 5741.

    Information about the current status of this document, any errata,
    and how to provide feedback on it may be obtained at
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5741.