Subject: Protocol Action: 'Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Event Notification Extension for Notification Rate Control' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sipcore-event-rate-control-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:31:40 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Event Notification Extension for
   Notification Rate Control'
  (draft-ietf-sipcore-event-rate-control-09.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-event-rate-control/

      Technical Summary
        This document specifies mechanisms for adjusting the rate
        of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) event notifications.
        These mechanisms can be applied in subscriptions to all SIP
        event packages.

      Working Group Summary
        Many working group members tended to express mild confusion
        or bewilderment upon first encountering the behavior described
        in section 5 (minimum notification rate). It is worth noting
        that this is the exact behavior that is required by the
        GEOPRIV work. This confusion is typically ameliorated when
        they are presented with use cases similar to those being
        considered by GEOPRIV.

      Document Quality
        Martin Thompson provided significant input to the document
        on behalf of the GEOPRIV working group, who is an immediate
        customer for this document. Brian Rosen identified the
        suitability of this mechanism in satisfying GEOPRIV's
        requirements, and made the initial proposal for the minimum
        rate mechanism for that purpose.