Subject: Document Action: 'Multisegment Pseudowires in Passive Optical Networks' to Informational RFC (draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 16:10:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multisegment Pseudowires in Passive Optical Networks'
  (draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-06.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the application of MPLS multi-segment
   pseudowires (MS-PWs) in a dual-technology environment comprising a 
   Passive Optical Network (PON) and an MPLS Packet Switched Network
   (PSN).

   PON technology may be used in mobile backhaul networks to support the
   end segments closest to the aggregation devices.  In these cases,
   there may be a very large number of Pseudowire (PW) Terminating
   Provider Edge nodes (T-PEs).  The MPLS control plane could be used to
   provision these end segments, but support for the necessary protocols
   would complicate the management of the T-PEs and would significantly
   increase their expense.  Alternatively, static, or management plane,
   configuration could be used to configure the end segments, but the
   very large number of such segments in a PON places a very heavy
   burden on the network manager.

   This document describes how to set up the end segment of an end-to-
   end MPLS PW over a Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Network (G-PON) or
   10 Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Network (XG-PON) using the G-PON
   and XG-PON management protocol, Optical Network Termination
   Management and Control Interface (OMCI).  This simplifies and speeds
   up PW provisioning compared with manual configuration.

   This document also shows how a MS-PW may be constructed from an end
   segment supported over a PON, and switched to one or more segments
   supported over an MPLS PSN.

Working Group Summary

  The PWE3 working group has had this work introduced on the mailing
  list and at two IETF meetings. Additionally, the WG was specifically
  requested to review the document on the understanding that a
  request had been made for AD Sponsorship.

  The WG concluded that although the draft is directly related to the
  charter and work of the WG, there was not sufficient interest within
  the WG to adopt the draft as a WG document. However, the WG were
  asked and did not object to the draft being advanced as AD Sponsored.

  Note that an IPR disclosure has been submitted for this document.

Document Quality

  This is an informational document with no implementation specifics.
  There are on-going discussions with operators about following the
  deployment models shown in this document.

Personnel

Daniel King is the Document Shepherd for this document.
Stewart Bryant is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Section 6
OLD
   This document describes a variation of a multi-segment pseudowire
   running over an MPLS PSN, in which one or both of the MPLS PSNs that
   provide connectivity between a T-PE and its associated S-PE is
   replaced by a G-PON/XG-PON PSN.  The security considerations that
   apply to the PW itself [RFC3985] [RFC4385] are unchanged by this
   change in PSN type.  For further considerations of PW security see
   the security considerations section of the specific PW type being
   deployed.

   G-PON/XG-PON [G.987.3] [G.984.3] includes security mechanisms that
   are as good as those provided in a well secured MPLS PSN.  The use of
   a G-PON/XG-PON PSN in place of an MPLS PSN therefore does not 
   increase the security risk of a multi-segment pseudowire.

   Protecting against an attack at the physical or data link layer of
   the PON is out of the scope of this document.
NEW
   This document describes a variation of a multi-segment pseudowire
   running over an MPLS PSN, in which one or both of the MPLS PSNs that
   provide connectivity between a T-PE and its associated S-PE is
   replaced by a G-PON/XG-PON PSN.  The security considerations that
   apply to the PW itself [RFC3985] [RFC4385] are unchanged by this
   change in PSN type.  For further considerations of PW security see
   the security considerations section of the specific PW type being
   deployed.

   G-PON/XG-PON [G.987.3] [G.984.3] includes security mechanisms that
   are as good as those provided in a well secured MPLS PSN.  The use of
   a G-PON/XG-PON PSN in place of an MPLS PSN therefore does not
   increase the security risk of a multi-segment pseudowire.

   Protecting against an attack at the physical or data link layer of
   the PON is out of the scope of this document.

   The MPLS control plane and management plane mechanisms are unchanged
   by this document.  This document introduces OMCI as a provisioning
   mechanism that runs between the OLT Controller and the ONT Controller
   across a GEM connection that is established at ONT initialization.
   In other words, the protocol runs on an in-fiber control channel.
   That means that injection and modification of OMCI messages would be
   very hard (harder, for example, than injection or modification in an
   MPLS ACH which has been accepted to provide adequate security by
   isolation ([RFC4385] and [RFC5586]).
END

---

Section 7.1
NEW
   [RFC5586]  Bocci, M., Vigoureux, M., and S. Bryant, "MPLS Generic
              Associated Channel", RFC 5586, June 2009.

   [RFC4385]  Bryant, S., Swallow, G., Martini, L., and D. McPherson,
              "Pseudowire Emulation Edge-to-Edge (PWE3) Control Word for
              Use over an MPLS PSN", RFC 4385, February 2006.
END