Subject: Protocol Action: 'IANA Registration of the 'image' Media Type for the Session Description Protocol (SDP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-salgueiro-mmusic-image-iana-registration-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:56:51 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IANA Registration of the 'image' Media Type for the Session
   Description Protocol (SDP)'
  (draft-salgueiro-mmusic-image-iana-registration-09.txt) as a Proposed
Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-salgueiro-mmusic-image-iana-registration/

    Technical Summary

        This document describes the usage of the 'image' media type
  and registers it with IANA as a top-level media type for the
  Session Description Protocol (SDP).  This media type is
  primarily used by SDP to negotiate and establish T.38 media
  streams.

    Working Group Summary

    While this is not an official document of the MMUSIC working
        group, the document has been reviewed in the MMUSIC WG. It is
        widely supported by its members and external bodies. Has
        received substantial review, including an unofficial
        WGLC. There is consensus to proceed forward with the
        document. Since this document is registering a missing token
        in an existing registry, it was decided to expedite the
        document in the sake of simplicity and speedness.

    Document Quality   

        There are implementations and RFCs documenting the usage of
        the "image" media type in SDP. This document adds it to the
        SDP parameters registry. 

Personnel

  Miguel Angel Garcia is the document shepherd.
  Gonzalo Camarillo is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor's Note:

OLD:

  The 'image' media type for the Session Description Protocol
  is used to describes a media stream that represents a still
  image.  The media subtype further describes the specific
  format of the image.  Currently, the 'image' media type for
  SDP is used ubiquitously by the SIP control protocol to
  establish T.38 media streams.

NEW:

The 'image' media type for the Session Description Protocol
is used to describe a media stream whose content consists of
one or more separate images that require appropriate hardware to
display. The media subtype further describes the specific format
of the image. Currently, the 'image' media type for SDP is used
ubiquitously by the SIP control protocol to establish T.38 media streams.