Subject: RFC 6388 on Label Distribution Protocol Extensions for Point-to-Multipoint and Multipoint-to-Multipoint Label Switched Paths

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 18:29:00 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6388

        Title:      Label Distribution Protocol Extensions for 
                    Point-to-Multipoint and Multipoint-to-Multipoint
                    Label Switched Paths 
        Author:     IJ. Wijnands, Ed.,
                    I. Minei, Ed.,
                    K. Kompella,
                    B. Thomas
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      39
        Characters: 86457
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-p2mp-15.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6388.txt

This document describes extensions to the Label Distribution Protocol (LDP)
for the setup of point-to-multipoint (P2MP) and multipoint-to-multipoint
(MP2MP) Label Switched Paths (LSPs) in MPLS networks.
These extensions are also referred to as multipoint LDP.  Multipoint
LDP constructs the P2MP or MP2MP LSPs without
interacting with or relying upon any other multicast tree
construction protocol.  Protocol elements and procedures for this
solution are described for building such LSPs in a
receiver-initiated manner.  There can be various applications for
multipoint LSPs, for example IP multicast or support
for multicast in BGP/MPLS Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (L3VPNs).
Specification of how such applications can use an LDP signaled 
multipoint LSP is outside the scope of this document.  
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC