Subject: Re: Informational RFC to be: <draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-11.txt>

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 14:02:21 -0700

The IESG recommends that 'Considerations for Information Services and
Operator Services Using SIP'
<draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-11.txt> NOT be published as
an Informational RFC.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance/

The process for such documents is described at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

  A portion of the document's abstract:

   This document aims to identify how Operator and Information Services 
   can be implemented using existing or currently proposed SIP 
   mechanisms, to identity existing protocol gaps, and to provide a set 
   of Best Current Practices to facilitate interoperability. For 
   Operator Services, the intention is to describe how current operator 
   services can continue to be provided to PSTN based subscribers via a 
   SIP based operator services architecture. It also looks at how 
   current operator services might be provided to SIP based subscribers 
   via such an architecture, but does not consider the larger question 
   of the need for or usefulness or suitability of each of these 
   services for SIP based subscribers

Personnel

  Robert Sparks shepherded the IESG 5742 review

RFC Editor Note

  The IESG has concluded that publication could potentially disrupt
  the IETF work done in the DISPATCH working group and recommends 
  not publishing the document at this time.

  The IESG has further concluded that this work is related to IETF
  work being done in the MEDIACTRL working group, but this relationship
  does not prevent publishing.

  This document defines the use of an "oli" parameter for tel URIs, pointing
  to TS24229 for the definition of the parameter. There is ongoing community
  discussion in the DISPATCH Working group about whether to define the parameter
  using the official process required for tel URIs or to solve the problem using
  a different mechanism. 

  The document hypothesizes a set of solutions noting that the "newly formed
  MEDIACTRL working group" might consider them. The MEDIACTRL working group is
  now nearing completion and has addressed the problems in ways different from
  those proposed in the document. This relationship does not prevent publication.

  If after review the RFC Editor does intend to publish this document, the IESG would like the opportunity 
  to include an  "IESG Note" with this document explaining the specific relationship this document has 
  to IETF work.