Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using MAC-authenticated Encryption in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)' to Proposed Standard (draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:18:31 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using MAC-authenticated Encryption in the Cryptographic Message Syntax
   (CMS)'
  (draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-06.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies the conventions for using MAC-authenticated
   encryption with the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) authenticated-
   enveloped-data content type. This mirrors the use of a MAC combined
   with an encryption algorithm that's already employed in IPsec, SSL/ TLS,
   and SSH, which is widely supported in existing crypto libraries and
   hardware, and has been extensively analysed by the crypto community.

Working Group Summary

   This document was discussed in the S/MIME WG list. It's just a new
   algorithm for an existing standards-track S/MIME mechanism, so there
   wasn't any controversy over anything.

Document Quality

   There's an existing implementation that's been deployed for about a
   year, and two more that have indicated they're implementing it (I'd have
   to check the current status, since I don't want to say "X has comitted
   to put it in their next release" on their behalf).

Personnel

   Peter Gutmann is the Document Shepherd.
   Sean Turner is the Responsible AD.