Subject: RFC 6456 on Multi-Segment Pseudowires in Passive Optical Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:16:46 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6456

        Title:      Multi-Segment Pseudowires in Passive Optical 
                    Networks 
        Author:     H. Li, R. Zheng,
                    A. Farrel
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 27499
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6456.txt

This document describes the application of MPLS multi-segment
pseudowires (MS-PWs) in a dual-technology environment comprising a
Passive Optical Network (PON) and an MPLS Packet Switched Network
(PSN).

PON technology may be used in mobile backhaul networks to support the
end segments closest to the aggregation devices.  In these cases,
there may be a very large number of pseudowire (PW) Terminating
Provider Edge (T-PE) nodes.  The MPLS control plane could be used to
provision these end segments, but support for the necessary protocols
would complicate the management of the T-PEs and would significantly
increase their expense.  Alternatively, static, or management plane,
configuration could be used to configure the end segments, but the
very large number of such segments in a PON places a very heavy
burden on the network manager.

This document describes how to set up the end segment of an end-to-
end MPLS PW over a Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Network (G-PON) or
10 Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Network (XG-PON) using the G-PON
and XG-PON management protocol, Optical Network Termination
Management and Control Interface (OMCI).  This simplifies and speeds
up PW provisioning compared with manual configuration.

This document also shows how an MS-PW may be constructed from an end
segment supported over a PON, and switched to one or more segments
supported over an MPLS PSN.  This document is not an Internet Standards 
Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC