Subject: RFC 6424 on Mechanism for Performing Label Switched Path Ping (LSP Ping) over MPLS Tunnels

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 18:29:51 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6424

        Title:      Mechanism for Performing Label Switched 
                    Path Ping (LSP Ping) over MPLS 
                    Tunnels 
        Author:     N. Bahadur, K. Kompella,
                    G. Swallow
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 48270
        Updates:    RFC4379

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-enhanced-dsmap-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6424.txt

This document describes methods for performing LSP ping (specified in
RFC 4379) traceroute over MPLS tunnels and for traceroute of stitched
MPLS Label Switched Paths (LSPs).  The techniques outlined in RFC
4379 are insufficient to perform traceroute Forwarding Equivalency
Class (FEC) validation and path discovery for an LSP that goes over
other MPLS tunnels or for a stitched LSP.  This document deprecates
the Downstream Mapping TLV (defined in RFC 4379) in favor of a new
TLV that, along with other procedures outlined in this document, can
be used to trace such LSPs.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC