Subject: BCP 171, RFC 6441 on Time to Remove Filters for Previously Unallocated IPv4 /8s

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 17:16:30 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 171        
        RFC 6441

        Title:      Time to Remove Filters for 
                    Previously Unallocated IPv4 /8s 
        Author:     L. Vegoda
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 8646
        See Also:   BCP0171

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-grow-no-more-unallocated-slash8s-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6441.txt

It has been common for network administrators to filter IP traffic
from and BGP prefixes of unallocated IPv4 address space.  Now that
there are no longer any unallocated IPv4 /8s, this practise is more
complicated, fragile, and expensive.  Network administrators are
advised to remove filters based on the registration status of the
address space.

This document explains why any remaining packet and BGP prefix
filters for unallocated IPv4 /8s should now be removed on border
routers and documents those IPv4 unicast prefixes that should not be
routed across the public Internet.  This memo documents an Internet 
Best Current Practice.

This document is a product of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC