Subject: RFC 6439 on Routing Bridges (RBridges): Appointed Forwarders

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:04:18 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6439

        Title:      Routing Bridges (RBridges): Appointed Forwarders 
        Author:     R. Perlman, D. Eastlake,
                    Y. Li, A. Banerjee,
                    F. Hu
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 36978
        Updates:    RFC6325

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-af-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6439.txt

The IETF TRILL (TRansparent Interconnection of Lots of Links)
protocol provides least cost pair-wise data forwarding without
configuration in multi-hop networks with arbitrary topology, safe
forwarding even during periods of temporary loops, and support for
multipathing of both unicast and multicast traffic.  TRILL
accomplishes this by using IS-IS (Intermediate System to Intermediate
System) link state routing and by encapsulating traffic using a
header that includes a hop count.  Devices that implement TRILL are
called "RBridges" (Routing Bridges).

TRILL supports multi-access LAN (Local Area Network) links that can
have multiple end stations and RBridges attached.  Where multiple
RBridges are attached to a link, native traffic to and from end
stations on that link is handled by a subset of those RBridges called
"Appointed Forwarders", with the intent that native traffic in each
VLAN (Virtual LAN) be handled by at most one RBridge.  The purpose of
this document is to improve the documentation of the Appointed
Forwarder mechanism; thus, it updates RFC 6325.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC