Subject: RFC 6408 on Diameter Straightforward-Naming Authority Pointer (S-NAPTR) Usage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 22:11:03 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6408

        Title:      Diameter Straightforward-Naming Authority Pointer 
                    (S-NAPTR) Usage 
        Author:     M. Jones, J. Korhonen,
                    L. Morand
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 32490
        Updates:    RFC3588

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dime-extended-naptr-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6408.txt

The Diameter base protocol specifies mechanisms whereby a given realm
may advertise Diameter nodes and the supported transport protocol.
However, these mechanisms do not reveal the Diameter applications
that each node supports.  A peer outside the realm would have to
perform a Diameter capability exchange with every node until it
discovers one that supports the required application.  This document
updates RFC 3588, "Diameter Base Protocol", and describes an
improvement using an extended format for the Straightforward-Naming
Authority Pointer (S-NAPTR) application service tag that allows for
discovery of the supported applications without doing Diameter
capability exchange beforehand.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Diameter Maintanence and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC