Subject: Protocol Action: 'TCP Candidates with Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-tcp-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 10:33:37 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TCP Candidates with Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE)'
  (draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-tcp-16.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-ice-tcp/

Technical Summary

Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) defines a mechanism for
NAT traversal for multimedia communication protocols based on the
offer/answer model of session negotiation. ICE works by providing a
set of candidate transport addresses for each media stream, which are
then validated with peer-to-peer connectivity checks based on Session
Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN). ICE provides a general framework
for describing candidates, but only defines UDP-based transport
protocols. This specification extends ICE to TCP-based media,
including the ability to offer a mix of TCP and UDP-based candidates
for a single stream.

Working Group Summary

This document is a product of the MMUSIC WG. The document has been in
progress for a while with significant Working Group interest,
contribution and review. There are no controversial issues.

Document Quality

The document has received significant review and the quality is good.
The chairs are aware of multiple implementations of the mechanism. 

Personnel

  Flemming Andreasen is the document's shepherd.
  Gonzalo Camarillo is the responsible AD.