Subject: RFC 6455 on The WebSocket Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 14:18:10 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6455

        Title:      The WebSocket Protocol 
        Author:     I. Fette, A. Melnikov
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      71
        Characters: 162067
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-17.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6455.txt

The WebSocket Protocol enables two-way communication between a client
running untrusted code in a controlled environment to a remote host
that has opted-in to communications from that code.  The security
model used for this is the origin-based security model commonly used
by web browsers.  The protocol consists of an opening handshake
followed by basic message framing, layered over TCP.  The goal of
this technology is to provide a mechanism for browser-based
applications that need two-way communication with servers that does
not rely on opening multiple HTTP connections (e.g., using
XMLHttpRequest or <iframe>s and long polling).  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC