Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-18.txt> (Neighbor Discovery Optimization for Low Power and Lossy Networks (6LoWPAN)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:01:33 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 over Low power WPAN WG
(6lowpan) to consider the following document:
- 'Neighbor Discovery Optimization for Low Power and Lossy Networks
   (6LoWPAN)'
  <draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-18.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-01-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IETF 6LoWPAN working group defines IPv6 over Low-power Wireless
   Personal Area Networks such as IEEE 802.15.4.  This and other similar
   link technologies have limited or no usage of multicast signaling due
   to energy conservation.  In addition, the wireless network may not
   strictly follow traditional concept of IP subnets and IP links.  IPv6
   Neighbor Discovery was not designed for non-transitive wireless
   links.  The traditional IPv6 link concept and heavy use of multicast
   make the protocol inefficient and sometimes impractical in a low
   power and lossy network.  This document describes simple
   optimizations to IPv6 Neighbor Discovery, addressing mechanisms and
   duplicate address detection for 6LoWPAN and similar networks.  The
   document, thus updates RFC 4944 to specify the use of the
   optimizations defined here.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.