Subject: RFC Series Editor Appointment

From: "IAB Chair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 20:57:51 -0500

The Internet Architecture Board is pleased to announce the appointment of
Heather Flanagan as the RFC Series Editor (RSE).   Ms. Flanagan will assume
the responsibilities from the Acting RSE, Olaf Kolkman, and begin her tenure
on January 1, 2012.  The contract negotiated by the IAOC includes an initial
term of two years and a presumptive renewal of two years.
 
Ms. Flanagan was selected by the RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC) based
upon her experience, education, skills and energy she will bring to the
position.

Ms. Flanagan is currently the Project Coordinator for the COmanage project,
an effort funded by a grant from NSF and Internet2 to create a collaboration
management platform, prior to that she was Director of Systems
Administration, IT Services at Stanford University.

Her technical background is complemented by a Masters of Science of Library
Science from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill that will prove
invaluable in the accessing and indexing of RFCs.

Ms. Flanagan brings a high degree of energy and enthusiasm to the position.
Her interpersonal skills as a facilitator and good listener will enable her
to work well with the capable staff at the RFC Production Center and with
the community in reaching consensus on a variety of issues facing the RFC
Series.

The RSOC selection followed a lengthy process that included announcing the
position inside and outside the community, several rounds of interviews,
reference checks, and face-to-face interviews in Taipei at IETF 82.  More
than thirty-five applications were received, two-thirds of which were from
outside the community.

We express our congratulations to Ms. Flanagan.  We also want to extend our
thanks to Ray Pelletier and the RSOC chaired by Fred Baker for their role in
bringing the RSE selection process to a successful conclusion; to Olaf
Kolkman for his service to the community as Acting RSE;  to Joel Halpern for
his ongoing work as editor of the RFC Editor Model v2 document; and to the
RFC Production Center for its customary diligence in the editing and
publishing of RFCs this year, likely the second most productive in RFC
publication history.

We look forward to working with the new RSE; we wish her well; and know that
the community will work with Heather for the betterment of the RFC Series. 

For the IAB,
Bernard Aboba
IAB Chair