Subject: RFC 6451 on Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) Protocol Extensions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 12:08:36 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6451

        Title:      Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) Protocol 
                    Extensions 
        Author:     A. Forte, H. Schulzrinne
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 45682
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-forte-lost-extensions-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6451.txt

An important class of location-based services answers the question,
"What instances of this service are closest to me?"  Examples include
finding restaurants, gas stations, stores, automated teller machines,
wireless access points (hot spots), or parking spaces.  Currently,
the Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) protocol only supports
mapping locations to a single service based on service regions.  This
document describes an extension that allows queries of the type "N
nearest", "within distance X", and "served by".  This document defines 
an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC