Subject: Protocol Action: 'Multicast DNS' to Proposed Standard (draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:27:07 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multicast DNS'
  (draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-15.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns/

Technical Summary

   Multicast DNS (mDNS) provides the ability to do DNS-like operations
   on the local link in the absence of any conventional unicast DNS
   server. In addition, mDNS designates a portion of the DNS namespace
   to be free for local use, without the need to pay any annual fee, and
   without the need to set up delegations or otherwise configure a
   conventional DNS server to answer for those names.

Working Group Summary

   This document is AD-sponsored.

Document Quality

   An earlier revision of this document was reviewed by the IETF and
   the IESG for publication as Informational.  The current revision
   has been updated based on feedback from the earlier reviews.  Ralph
   Droms reviewed the current revision.  mDNS is widely implemented.

Personnel

   Ralph Droms ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.