Subject: Document Action: 'BCP 47 Extension T - Transformed Content' to Informational RFC (draft-davis-t-langtag-ext-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 17:10:36 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'BCP 47 Extension T - Transformed Content'
  (draft-davis-t-langtag-ext-07.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-davis-t-langtag-ext/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies an Extension to BCP 47 which provides subtags
   for specifying the source language or script of transformed content,
   including content that has been transliterated, transcribed, or
   translated, or in some other way influenced by the source.  It also
   provides for additional information used for identification.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of a WG. However, it did get
   extensive review on the [email-masked] mailing list through July and
   August of 2010. There were a number of comments on the content of the
   document that have been addressed by the authors diligently. There
   was also a protracted discussion about the party responsible for the
   *contents* of this subtag: BCP47 defines the procedure to register
   the subtag itself (as this document does), but the registry entry
   delegates the *contents* of the subtag to an authority defined in the
   registry. In this document, the authority for the contents of the "t"
   subtag is the Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR) at the Unicode
   Consortium. Though this is the way BCP47 anticipates management of a
   subtag, several people were concerned that this subtag was of general
   interest and therefore having the Unicode Consortium be in charge of
   the contents was problematic and that it should be done in the IETF.
   After extensive discussion, text was added make the process in the
   Unicode Consortium more open and inclusive and this made for (at
   least rough) consensus on the issue. There were also concerns raised
   about the data at the CLDR pointed to by the registry are to be
   contained in a ".zip" file, but commenters seemed to be satisfied
   that the data was alternatively available as documented in the draft.

Document Quality

   The review on the [email-masked] list was extensive and key players
   from both inside and outside the Unicode Consortium community
   have commented on the document and had their concerns addressed.

Personnel

   Pete Resnick <[email-masked]> is the responsible AD
   and document shepherd.