Subject: Last Call: <draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-03.txt> (Generic Connection Admission Control (GCAC) Algorithm Specification for IP/MPLS Networks) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 06:13:48 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Generic Connection Admission Control (GCAC) Algorithm Specification
   for IP/MPLS Networks'
  <draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-03.txt> as an Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-01-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document presents a generic connection admission control (GCAC)
   reference model and algorithm for IP/MPLS-based networks.  Service
   provider (SP) IP/MPLS networks need an MPLS GCAC mechanism, for
   example, to reject voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) calls when
   additional calls would adversely affect calls already in progress.
   Without MPLS GCAC, connections on congested links will suffer
   degraded quality.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm can be optionally
   implemented in vendor equipment and deployed by service providers.
   MPLS GCAC interoperates between vendor equipment and across multiple
   service provider domains.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm uses available
   standard mechanisms for MPLS based networks, such as RSVP, DSTE, PCE,
   NSIS, DiffServ, and OSPF.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm does not include
   aspects of CAC that might be considered vendor proprietary
   implementations, such as detailed path selection mechanisms.  MPLS
   GCAC functions are implemented in a distributed manner to deliver the
   objective QoS for specified QoS constraints.  The objective is that
   the source is able to compute a source route with high likelihood
   that MPLS GCAC via elements along the selected path will in fact
   admit the request.  In some cases (e.g., multiple AS) this objective
   cannot always be met, but the document summarizes methods that
   partially meet this objective.  MPLS GCAC is applicable to any
   service or flow that must meet an objective QoS (delay, jitter,
   packet loss rate) for a specified
   quantity of traffic.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.