Subject: Protocol Action: 'DNS-Based Service Discovery' to Proposed Standard (draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:11:16 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DNS-Based Service Discovery'
  (draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd-11.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd/

Technical Summary
 
   This document describes a convention for naming and structuring DNS
   resource records. Given a type of service that a client is looking
   for, and a domain in which the client is looking for that service,
   this convention allows clients to discover a list of named
   instances of that desired service, using standard DNS queries. The
   service described in this document is referred to as DNS-based
   Service Discovery, or DNS-SD.
 
Working Group Summary
 
    This document is AD-sponsored.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   An earlier revision of this document was reviewed by the IETF and
   the IESG for publication as Informational.  The current revision
   has been updated based on feedback from the earlier reviews.  Ralph
   Droms reviewed the current revision.  DNS-SD is widely implemented.