Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-alto-reqs-12.txt> (Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Requirements) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:36:21 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Application-Layer Traffic
Optimization WG (alto) to consider the following document:
- 'Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Requirements'
  <draft-ietf-alto-reqs-12.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-01-05. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Many Internet applications are used to access resources, such as
   pieces of information or server processes, which are available in
   several equivalent replicas on different hosts.  This includes, but
   is not limited to, peer-to-peer file sharing applications.  The goal
   of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to provide
   guidance to applications, which have to select one or several hosts
   from a set of candidates capable of providing a desired resource.
   This guidance shall be based on parameters that affect performance
   and efficiency of the data transmission between the hosts, e.g., the
   topological distance.  The ultimate goal is to improve performance
   (or Quality of Experience) in the application while reducing resource
   consumption in the underlying network infrastructure.

   This document enumerates requirements for specifying, assessing, or
   comparing protocols and implementations.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-reqs/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-reqs/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.