Subject: Protocol Action: 'An IPv6 Routing Header for Source Routes with RPL' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:47:05 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An IPv6 Routing Header for Source Routes with RPL'
  (draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-07.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header/

  Technical Summary 

        In Low power and Lossy Networks (LLNs), memory constraints on
        routers may limit them to maintaining at most a few routes.  In
        some configurations, it is necessary to use these memory
        constrained routers to deliver datagrams to nodes within the LLN.
        The Routing for Low Power and Lossy Networks (RPL) protocol can
        be used in some deployments to store most, if not all, routes on
        one (e.g. the Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG) root) or few routers
        and forward the IPv6 datagram using a source routing technique
        to avoid large routing tables on memory constrained routers.
        This document specifies a new IPv6 Routing header type for
        delivering datagrams within a RPL domain.

    Working Group Summary 

        This document was reviewed by the 6man and RPL WGs and
        represents the consensus of those groups.

    Document Quality 

        Several external groups have indicated their plans to
        carry out large-scale deployments using the RPL option
        defined in this document.

   Personnel

       Brian Haberman ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
       Jari Arkko is the responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

  In the IANA consideration section, please remove the duplicated "assigned assigned":

   This document defines a new IPv6 Routing Type, the "RPL Source Route
   Header", and hass been assigned assigned number TBD by IANA.