Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement-09.txt> (The Common Log Format (CLF) for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): Framework and Data Model) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 13:01:30 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the SIP Common Log Format WG
(sipclf) to consider the following document:
- 'The Common Log Format (CLF) for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP):
   Framework and Data Model'
  <draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement-09.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-12-20. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Well-known web servers such as Apache and web proxies like Squid
   support event logging using a common log format.  The logs produced
   using these de-facto standard formats are invaluable to system
   administrators for trouble-shooting a server and tool writers to
   craft tools that mine the log files and produce reports and trends.
   Furthermore, these log files can also be used to train anomaly
   detection systems and feed events into a security event management
   system.  The Session Initiation Protocol does not have a common log
   format, and as a result, each server supports a distinct log format
   that makes it unnecessarily complex to produce tools to do trend
   analysis and security detection.  We propose a common log file format
   for SIP servers that can be used uniformly by user agents, proxies,
   registrars, redirect servers as well as back-to-back user agents.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.