Subject: RFC 6457 on PCC-PCE Communication and PCE Discovery Requirements for Inter-Layer Traffic Engineering

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 16:21:37 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6457

        Title:      PCC-PCE Communication and PCE Discovery 
                    Requirements for Inter-Layer Traffic Engineering 
        Author:     T. Takeda, Ed.,
                    A. Farrel
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 29107
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-req-15.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6457.txt

The Path Computation Element (PCE) provides functions of path
computation in support of traffic engineering in networks controlled by
Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Generalized MPLS (GMPLS).

MPLS and GMPLS networks may be constructed from layered client/server
networks.  It is advantageous for overall network efficiency to
provide end-to-end traffic engineering across multiple network
layers.  PCE is a candidate solution for such requirements.

Generic requirements for a communication protocol between Path
Computation Clients (PCCs) and PCEs are presented in RFC 4657, "Path
Computation Element (PCE) Communication Protocol Generic
Requirements".  Generic requirements for a PCE discovery protocol are
presented in RFC 4674, "Requirements for Path Computation Element
(PCE) Discovery".

This document complements the generic requirements and presents
detailed sets of PCC-PCE communication protocol requirements and PCE
discovery protocol requirements for inter-layer traffic engineering.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Path Computation Element Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC