Subject: Protocol Action: 'Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) Base Notifications' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-netconf-system-notifications-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 08:23:54 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) Base Notifications'
  (draft-ietf-netconf-system-notifications-07.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network Configuration Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-system-notifications/

Technical Summary

   The NETCONF protocol provides mechanisms to manipulate configuration
   datastores.  However, client applications often need to be aware of
   common events such as a change in NETCONF server capabilities, that
   may impact management applications.  Standard mechanisms are needed
   to support the monitoring of the base system events within the
   NETCONF server.  This document defines a YANG module that allows a
   NETCONF client to receive notifications for some common system
   events.

Working Group Summary

   The document has been longly discussed in the Working Group,
   including several WG Last Calls. The comments and reviews helped
   to improve the document a lot and the current version reflects the
   consensus of the Working Group.
   There was some debate on the scope of the draft. Kent Watsen was
   the only person who proposed the document to cover a much bigger
   scope. The system-startup notification has been removed after some
   discussion.
   The last WGLC did raise only minor issues. The changes have been
   accepted by the WG with some additional discussion and bug fixing.

Document Quality

   It is expected that NETCONF implementations will be extended once
   this document gets published as proposed standard to support system 
  notifications. 

Personnel

   Mehmet Ersue is the Document Shepherd for this document
   Dan Romascanu is the Responsible Area Director.