Subject: Document Action: 'Data for Reachability of Inter/tra-NetworK SIP (DRINKS) Use cases and Protocol Requirements' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-drinks-usecases-requirements-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 06:55:00 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Data for Reachability of Inter/tra-NetworK SIP (DRINKS) Use cases and
   Protocol Requirements'
  (draft-ietf-drinks-usecases-requirements-06.txt) as an Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the Data for Reachability of
Inter/tra-NetworK SIP Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-drinks-usecases-requirements/

Technical Summary

  This document captures the use cases and associated requirements for
  interfaces that provision session establishment data into SIP Service
  Provider components, to assist with session routing.  Specifically,
  the current version of this document focuses on the provisioning of
  one such element, termed the registry.

Working Group Summary

  The WG agreed that for the development of the Session Peering
  Provisioning Protocol, an approach where use cases would drive
  requirements, and requirements in turn would then drive
  protocol development was the right approach. The use cases and
  requirements document has been developed over several (interim)
  meetings, and has not changed over the course of the last half
  year. 

Document Quality

  The document is a product of the DRINKS working group.
  It has been reviewed thoroughly by the potential user
  community (telecommunications service providers) who
  are also developing an open source implementation of
  the respective protocol that is driven by this use case
  document.  

Personnel

  Alexander Mayrhofer is the document shepherd for this document.
  Gonzalo Camarillo is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note:

Please, change the following on Section 5:

OLD:
" A provisioning protocol or interface that implements the described use cases MUST therefore provide data confidentiality, and MUST ensure message integrity for the provisioning flow.  Authentication and authorization of the provisioning entities are REQUIRED features of the protocol and interfaces."

NEW:

" A provisioning framework or protocol that implements the described use cases MUST therefore provide data confidentiality and message integrity.  Such frameworks and protocols MUST specify mechanisms to authenticate and authorize any entity that provisions data into the registry, i.e., that the entity is who it says it is, and is allowed to use the provisioning interface. The determination of whether such an entity is authorized to provision specific data elements (e.g., a certain public identifier or TN Range) - while REQUIRED - may be left to local policy."