Subject: BCP 172, RFC 6472 on Recommendation for Not Using AS_SET and AS_CONFED_SET in BGP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 12:08:49 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 172        
        RFC 6472

        Title:      Recommendation for Not Using AS_SET 
                    and AS_CONFED_SET in BGP 
        Author:     W. Kumari, K. Sriram
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 10673
        See Also:   BCP0172

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-sets-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6472.txt

This document recommends against the use of the AS_SET and
AS_CONFED_SET types of the AS_PATH in BGPv4.  This is done to
simplify the design and implementation of BGP and to make the
semantics of the originator of a route more clear.  This will also
simplify the design, implementation, and deployment of ongoing work
in the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.  This memo documents
an Internet Best Current Practice.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC