Subject: Protocol Action: 'Real-time Inter-network Defense (RID)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mile-rfc6045-bis-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 14:07:48 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Real-time Inter-network Defense (RID)'
  (draft-ietf-mile-rfc6045-bis-11.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Managed Incident Lightweight Exchange
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Sean Turner and Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mile-rfc6045-bis/

Technical Summary

Real-time Inter-network Defense (RID) outlines a proactive inter-network
communication method to facilitate sharing incident handling data while
integrating existing detection, tracing, source identification, and mitigation
mechanisms for a complete incident handling solution. Combining these
capabilities in a communication system provides a way to achieve higher
security levels on networks. The data in RID messages is represented in
an XML document using IODEF [RFC5070] and the RID XML schema defined in this
document.

Working Group Summary

There was extensive commentary on the pre-WG and WG mailing list on the document
indicative of review, correction, and consensus. The working group process has
been somewhat abbreviated, as the document is an update of an already-published
RFC to change its intended status (Informational to Standards Track) and to
apply minor updates. Consensus was reached without problems.

Document Quality

The document itself derived from the previously published (informational) RFC
6045. The XML schema was reviewed by two experts, one within the WG and one from
outside. In addition to the review received within the MILE WG, much of the
content within the document (both technical and editorial) has received
extensive review prior to its initial publication as RFC6045 in November 2010. 

Personnel

Brian Trammell ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
Sean Turner is the responsible Area Director.