Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsext-xnamercode-00.txt> (xNAME RCODE and Status Bits Clarification) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:23:17 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the DNS Extensions WG (dnsext) to
consider the following document:
- 'xNAME RCODE and Status Bits Clarification'
  <draft-ietf-dnsext-xnamercode-00.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-02-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Domain Name System (DNS) has long provided means, such as CNAME
   (Canonical Name), where a query can be redirected to a different
   name. A DNS response header has an RCODE (Response Code) field, used
   for indicating errors, and response status bits. This document
   clarifies, in the case of such redirected queries, how the RCODE and
   status bits correspond to the initial query cycle (where the CNAME or
   the like was detected) and subsequent or final query cycles.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsext-xnamercode/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsext-xnamercode/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.