Subject: REVISED Last Call: <draft-ietf-oauth-v2-23.txt> (The OAuth 2.0 Authorization Protocol) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 06:59:08 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Web Authorization Protocol WG
(oauth) to consider the following document:
- 'The OAuth 2.0 Authorization Protocol'
  <draft-ietf-oauth-v2-23.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-02-07. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The OAuth 2.0 authorization protocol enables a third-party
   application to obtain limited access to an HTTP service, either on
   behalf of a resource owner by orchestrating an approval interaction
   between the resource owner and the HTTP service, or by allowing the
   third-party application to obtain access on its own behalf.  This
   specification replaces and obsoletes the OAuth 1.0 protocol described
   in RFC 5849.

There are a few downrefs to note:

* There is a normative reference to RFC 1750, which will be updated to
point to RFC 4086 before publication.

* There is a normative reference to RFC 2246 (TLS 1.0), which has been
obsoleted by RFC 5246 (TLS 1.2).  The document uses this reference to
note that TLS 1.0 is, at this writing, the most widely deployed
version.  The working group believes it is necessary to note that, and
that the reference be normative.

* There is a normative reference to Informational RFC 2818 (HTTP over 
TLS). This is an allowed downref.

* There is a normative reference to Informational RFC 4627
(application/json Media Type). This is an allowed downref.

* There is a normative reference to Informational RFC 4949 (Internet
Security Glossary).  This is an allowed downref.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-v2/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-v2/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.