Subject: Protocol Action: 'OSPFv3 as a PE-CE routing protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-l3vpn-ospfv3-pece-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:16:23 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'OSPFv3 as a PE-CE routing protocol'
  (draft-ietf-l3vpn-ospfv3-pece-11.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stewart Bryant and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-ospfv3-pece/

Technical Summary

The initial BGP/MPLS IP VPN specification enabled PE routers to learn routes
within customer sites through static routing, or through a dynamic routing
protocol instantiated on the PE-CE link.

Specifically, RFC4364 includes support for dynamic routing protocols such as
BGP, RIP, and OSPFv2. The OSPFv2 as the Provider/Customer Edge Protocol for
BGP/MPLS IP Virtual Private Networks specification (RFC4577) further updates the
operation of OSPFv2 as the PE-CE routing protocol by detailing additional
extensions to enable intra-domain routing connectivity between OSPFv2-based
customer sites.

This document defines the mechanisms required to enable the operation of OSPFv3
as the PE-CE Routing Protocol in BGP MPLS/IP VPNs.  In doing so, it reuses, and
extends where necessary, the "BGP/MPLS IP VPN" method for IPv6 VPNs defined in
RFC4659, and OSPFv2 as the PE-CE routing protocol defined in RFC4577.  This
document also includes the specifications for maintaining intra-domain routing
connectivity between OSPFv3-based customer sites across a SP backbone.

Working Group Summary

This document is a product of L3VPN WG. The document underwent WG Last Calls in
both the L3VPN and OSPF WGs.

Document Quality

There is at least one known implementation of this protocol.

Personnel

   Ben Niven-Jenkins is the Document Shepherd for this document. 
   Stewart Bryant  is the Responsible Area Director.