Subject: Protocol Action: 'Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:48:03 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)'
  (draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-09.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance
Avoidance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Harrington and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih/

Technical Summary

   Bump-In-the-Host (BIH) is a host-based IPv4 to IPv6 protocol
   translation mechanism that allows a class of IPv4-only applications
   that work through NATs to communicate with IPv6-only peers.  The host
   on which applications are running may be connected to IPv6-only or
   dual-stack access networks.  BIH hides IPv6 and makes the IPv4-only
   applications think they are talking with IPv4 peers by local
   synthesis of IPv4 addresses.  This draft obsoletes RFC 2767 and RFC
   3338.

Working Group Summary

The primary point of earlier contention was with respect to whether
this NAT46-in-a-host could be placed behind a NAT64 and achieve NAT464.
The WG consensus was that that case should be disallowed, and the 
present document reflects that consensus.

Document Quality

This document obsoletes two previous RFCs on implementation, and
updates them based on implementation experience.  At least one 
implementation is in progress for the new document, and others
are expected. 

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Dave Thaler
   Responsible Area Director: David Harrington