Subject: Protocol Action: 'Authentication Failure Reporting using the Abuse Report Format' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-marf-authfailure-report-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 12:33:38 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Authentication Failure Reporting using the Abuse Report Format'
  (draft-ietf-marf-authfailure-report-10.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Messaging Abuse Reporting Format
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-marf-authfailure-report/

Technical Summary 

This memo registers an extension report type to ARF for use in 
reporting messages that fail one or more authentication checks 
performed on receipt of a message, with the option to include 
forensic information describing the specifics of the failure. 

Working Group Summary 

This memo underwent two Working Group Last Calls because of the amount 
of last-minute feedback generated during the first. There was no 
controversy of note. 

Document Quality 

There is substantial deployment of ARF, upon which these extensions are 
based. There is one widely deployed open source implementation of the 
extension with more under development which will see widespread use. 
Reviewers and expressions of intent to support included PayPal and Hotmail.

Personnel

   Murray S. Kucherawy <[email-masked]> is the Document Shepherd
   Pete Resnick <[email-masked]> is the Responsible Area Director