Subject: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:03:32 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider the following document:
- 'IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared CGN Space'
 <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> as a BCP

On its December 15, 2011 telechat, the IESG reviewed version 10 of this 
document and requested various changes. These changes are reflected in 
the draft version 14 and the IESG now solicits community input on the 
changed text only. Please send substantive comments to the [email-masked] 
mailing lists by 2012-02-16. Exceptionally, comments may be sent to 
[email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of 
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

  This document requests the allocation of an IPv4 /10 address block to
  be used as Shared Address Space to accommodate the needs of Carrier
  Grade Network Address Translation (CGN) devices.  It is anticipated
  that Service Providers will use this Shared Address Space to number
  the interfaces that connect CGN devices to Customer Premise Equipment
  (CPE).

  Shared Address Space is distinct from RFC1918 private address space
  because it is intended for use on Service Provider networks.
  However, it may be used as RFC 1918 private address space in certain
  circumstances.  Details are provided in the text of this document.

  As this document proposes the allocation of an additional special-use
  IPv4 address block, it updates RFC 5735.

The following text captures the most salient change between version 10 and 14 of this document:

  Shared Address Space is IPv4 address space designated for Service
     Provider use with the purpose of facilitating CGN deployment.  Also,
     Shared Address Space can be used as additional [RFC1918] space when
     at least one of the following conditions is true:

     o  Shared Address Space is not also used on the Service Provider side
        of the CPE.

     o  CPE routers behave correctly when using the same address block on
        both the internal and external interfaces.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.