Subject: RFC 6476 on Using Message Authentication Code (MAC) Encryption in the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:54:40 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6476

        Title:      Using Message Authentication Code (MAC) 
                    Encryption in the Cryptographic Message Syntax 
                    (CMS) 
        Author:     P. Gutmann
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 33186
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-gutmann-cms-hmac-enc-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6476.txt

This document specifies the conventions for using Message
Authentication Code (MAC) encryption with the Cryptographic Message
Syntax (CMS) authenticated-enveloped-data content type.  This mirrors
the use of a MAC combined with an encryption algorithm that's already
employed in IPsec, Secure Socket Layer / Transport Layer Security
(SSL/TLS) and Secure SHell (SSH), which is widely supported in
existing crypto libraries and hardware and has been extensively
analysed by the crypto community.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC