Subject: RFC 6471 on Overview of Best Email DNS-Based List (DNSBL) Operational Practices

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:04:37 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6471

        Title:      Overview of Best Email DNS-Based 
                    List (DNSBL) Operational Practices 
        Author:     C. Lewis, M. Sergeant
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       January 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 49264
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6471.txt

The rise of spam and other anti-social behavior on the Internet has
led to the creation of shared DNS-based lists (DNSBLs) of IP
addresses or domain names intended to help guide email filtering.
This memo summarizes guidelines of accepted best practice for the
management of public DNSBLs by their operators as well as for the
proper use of such lists by mail server administrators (DNSBL users),
and it provides useful background for both parties.  It is not
intended to advise on the utility or efficacy of particular DNSBLs or
the DNSBL concept in general, nor to assist end users with questions
about spam.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC