Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:18:08 -0800 (PST)

The Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime) working group in the 
Operations and Management Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For 
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the working 
group Chairs.

Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)
-----------------------------------------
Current Status: Active

Last Modified: 2012-01-19

Chairs:
    Lionel Morand <[email-masked]>
    Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
    Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
    Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
    Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
    General Discussion: [email-masked]
    To Subscribe:       https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
    Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dime/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

The Diameter Maintenance and Extensions WG will focus on maintenance and
extensions to the Diameter protocol required to enable its use for
authentication, authorization, accounting, charging in network access,
provisioning of configuration information within the network, and for
new AAA session management uses within the extensibility rules of the
Diameter base protocol. 

The DIME working group plans to address the following items:

- Maintaining and/or progressing, along the standards track, the
Diameter Base protocol and Diameter Applications. This includes
extensions to Diameter Base protocol that can be considered as enhanced
features or bug fixes.

- Diameter application design guideline. This document will provide
guidelines for design of Diameter extensions. It will detail when to
consider reusing an existing application and when to develop a new
application.

- Protocol extensions for the management of Diameter entities. This work
focuses on the standardization of Management Information Bases (MIBs) to
configure Diameter entities (such as the Diameter Base protocol or
Diameter Credit Control nodes). The usage of other management protocols
for configuring Diameter entities may be future work within the group.

- Protocol extensions for bulk and grouped AAA session management. The
aim of this work is to study and standardize a solution for handling
groups of AAA sessions within the Diameter base protocol context. The
solution would define how to identify and handle grouped AAA sessions in
commands and operations.

Additionally, Diameter-based systems require interoperability in order
to work. The working group, along with the AD, will need to evaluate any
potential extensions and require verification that the proposed
extension is needed, and is within the extensibility rules of Diameter
and AAA scope. Coordination with other IETF working groups and other
SDOs (e.g. 3GPP) will be used to ensure this.

Goals and Milestones:

Done     - Submit the following two Diameter Mobility documents to the
          IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standards:* 'Diameter 
          Mobile IPv6: Support for Home Agent to Diameter Server 
          Interaction' * 'Diameter Mobile IPv6: Support for Network 
          Access Server to Diameter Server Interaction'
Done     - Submit 'Diameter API' to the IESG for consideration as an
          Informational RFC
Done     - Submit 'Quality of Service Parameters for Usage with
          Diameter' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
          Standard.
Done     - Submit 'Diameter QoS Application' to the IESG for
          consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Support for EAP Re-authentication
          Protocol' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter User-Name and Realm Based Request Routing
          Clarifications' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Proxy Mobile IPv6' as DIME working group
          item
Done     - Submit 'Quality of Service Attributes for Diameter' to the
          IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Proxy Mobile IPv6' to the IESG for
          consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter User-Name and Realm Based Request Routing
          Clarifications' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
          Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter NAT Control Application' as DIME working
          group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Capabilities Update' as DIME working group
          item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Credit Control Application MIB' to the
          IESG for consideration as an Informational RFC
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Base Protocol MIB' to the IESG for
          consideration as an Informational RFC
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Capabilities Update' to the IESG for
          consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Extended NAPTR' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter' as DIME
          working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Support for Proxy Mobile IPv6 Localized
          Routing' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Attribute-Value Pairs for Cryptographic
          Key Transport' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Priority Attribute Value Pairs' as DIME
          working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter IKEv2 PSK' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit Revision of 'Diameter Base Protocol' to the IESG for
          consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Attribute-Value Pairs for Cryptographic
          Key Transport' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
          Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Priority Attribute Value Pairs' to the
          IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit Revision of 'Diameter Network Access Server
          Application - RFC 4005bis' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter NAT Control Application' to the IESG for
          consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter IKEv2 PSK' to the IESG for consideration
          as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Extended NAPTR' to the IESG for
          consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Support for Proxy Mobile IPv6 Localized
           Routing' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
           Standard
Mar 2012 - Submit 'Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter' to the IESG
            for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Mar 2012 - Submit Revision of 'Diameter Network Access Server
            Application - RFC 4005bis' to the IESG for consideration as
            a Proposed Standard
May 2012 - Submit 'Diameter Application Design Guidelines' to the IESG
            for consideration as a BCP document Standard
Jul 2012 - Submit 'Diameter Support for EAP Re-authentication Protocol'
            to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Aug 2012 - Submit 'problem statement and requirements for Diameter
            end-to-end security framework' as Dime working group item.
Aug 2012 - Submit a document on 'Protocol extension for bulk and group
            signaling' as a working group item
Dec 2012 - Submit 'problem statement and requirements for Diameter
            end-to-end security framework' to the IESG for
            consideration as an Informational RFC.
Aug 2013 - Submit a document on 'Protocol extension for bulk and group
            signaling' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
            Standard