Subject: Protocol Action: 'Moving A6 to Historic Status' to Informational RFC (draft-jiang-a6-to-historic-00.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:14:41 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Moving A6 to Historic Status'
  (draft-jiang-a6-to-historic-00.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jiang-a6-to-historic/

Technical Summary

   This document provides a summary of issues and discusses the
   current usage status of A6 DNS records and moves the A6
   specifications to Historic status, providing clarity to
   implementers and operators.

Working Group Summary

   No major issues raised. Document was discussed on the DNSEXT list,
   but the chairs considered that the WG already had too many other
   unfinished items so this document is being processed as AD-sponsored.

Document Quality

   The document itself is clear.  The whole point is that the feature
   is not deployed and is not considered useful.

Personnel

   Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> is the Sponsoring and
   Responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following editorial changes prior to publication:

Change the Abstract:

OLD:

   This document provides a summary of issues and discusses the current 
   usage status of A6 DNS records and moves the A6 specifications to 
   Historic status, providing clarity to implementers and operators.

NEW:

   This document provides a summary of issues and discusses the current 
   usage status of A6 DNS records and moves the RFC 2874 to 
   Historic status, providing clarity to implementers and operators.

Change the last paragraph of Section 1:

OLD:

   deployment, this document moves the A6 specifications to Historic 
   status, thereby clarifying that implementers and operators should 
   represent IPv6 addresses in the DNS only by using AAAA records. 

NEW:

   deployment, this document moves RFC 2874 [RFC2874]  to Historic 
   status, thereby clarifying that implementers and operators should 
   represent IPv6 addresses in the DNS only by using AAAA records. 

Change Section 6:

OLD:

   IANA is requested to change the annotation of the A6 RR type from 
   "Experimental" to "Obsolete" in the DNS Parameters registry.

NEW:

   IANA is requested to change the annotation of the A6 RR type (code
   38) from "Experimental" to "Obsolete" in the DNS Parameters
   registry.