Subject: Document Action: 'Recommendations for the Remediation of Bots in ISP Networks' to Informational RFC (draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation-20.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:19:41 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Recommendations for the Remediation of Bots in ISP Networks'
  (draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation-20.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation/

Technical Summary

  This document contains recommendations on how Internet Service
  Providers can manage the effects of computers used by their 
  subscribers, which have been infected with malicious bots, via
  various remediation techniques.  Internet users with infected
  computers are exposed to risks such as loss of personal data, as well
  as increased susceptibility to online fraud and/or phishing.  Such
  computers can also become an inadvertent participant in or component
  of an online crime network, spam network, and/or phishing network, as
  well as be used as a part of a distributed denial of service attack. 
  Mitigating the effects of and remediating the installations of
  malicious bots will make it more difficult for botnets to operate and
  could reduce the level of online crime on the Internet in general
  and/or on a particular Internet Service Provider's network.

Working Group Summary

   N/A - This document is an Individual Submission sponsored by an
   Area Director.

Document Quality

  The document reflects accepted best practice promulgated by The
  Messaging  Anti-Abuse Working Group (MAAWG) (http://www.maawg.org) outside the
  IETF.  The document has been reviewed on the IETF OPSEC mailing list notably by
  Joel Jaeggli and Danny McPherson among others. 

Personnel

          Document Shepherd: Elwyn Davies
          Responsible/Sponsoring Area Director: Stephen Farrell