Subject: RFC 6462 on Report from the Internet Privacy Workshop

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:14:10 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6462

        Title:      Report from the Internet Privacy 
                    Workshop 
        Author:     A. Cooper
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       January 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 55638
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-privacy-workshop-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6462.txt

On December 8-9, 2010, the IAB co-hosted an Internet privacy workshop
with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), the Internet Society
(ISOC), and MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence
Laboratory (CSAIL).  The workshop revealed some of the fundamental
challenges in designing, deploying, and analyzing privacy-protective
Internet protocols and systems.  Although workshop participants and
the community as a whole are still far from understanding how best to
systematically address privacy within Internet standards development,
workshop participants identified a number of potential next steps.
For the IETF, these included the creation of a privacy directorate to
review Internet-Drafts, further work on documenting privacy
considerations for protocol developers, and a number of exploratory
efforts concerning fingerprinting and anonymized routing.  Potential
action items for the W3C included investigating the formation of a
privacy interest group and formulating guidance about fingerprinting,
referrer headers, data minimization in APIs, usability, and general
considerations for non-browser-based protocols.

Note that this document is a report on the proceedings of the
workshop.  The views and positions documented in this report are
those of the workshop participants and do not necessarily reflect the
views of the IAB, W3C, ISOC, or MIT CSAIL.  This document is not an 
Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational 
purposes.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC