Subject: Last Call: <draft-templin-aero-10.txt> (Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:03:31 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)'
  <draft-templin-aero-10.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-04-18. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Nodes attached to common multi-access link types (e.g., multicast-
   capable, shared media, non-broadcast multiple access (NBMA), etc.)
   can exchange packets as neighbors on the link, but may not always be
   provisioned with sufficient routing information for optimal neighbor
   selection.  Such nodes should therefore be able to discover a trusted
   intermediate router on the link that provides both forwarding
   services to reach off-link destinations and redirection services to
   inform the node of an on-link neighbor that is closer to the final
   destination.  This redirection can provide a useful route
   optimization, since the triangular path from the ingress link
   neighbor, to the intermediate router, and finally to the egress link
   neighbor may be considerably longer than the direct path from ingress
   to egress.  However, ordinary redirection may lead to operational
   issues on certain link types and/or in certain deployment scenarios.
   This document therefore introduces an Asymmetric Extended Route
   Optimization (AERO) capability that addresses the issues.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-aero/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-aero/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.