Subject: Protocol Action: 'Deprecation of ICMP Source Quench messages' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tsvwg-source-quench-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 00:53:18 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Deprecation of ICMP Source Quench messages'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-source-quench-06.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Wesley Eddy and David Harrington.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-source-quench/

Technical Summary

This document provides a Standards-Track document that formally
deprecates the use of ICMP Source Quench messages by all IETF-defined
transport protocols. This formally updates RFC 792, RFC 1122, and
RFC 1812. Additionally, it recommends against implementation of RFC 1016.

Document Quality

The document standardises current understanding of how congestion
control should be designed and the new language reflects the lack
of actual use of this mechanism in deployed network
and current best practice. 

Personnel

Gorry Fairhurst is the document shepherd.  Wesley Eddy is the
responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

In Section 1, under the second paragraph, the first bullet has an
error.  Where it says "over 20 years", it should be "nearly 17
years", or something more accurate based on the date of the
reference provided in the sentence.