Subject: RFC 6561 on Recommendations for the Remediation of Bots in ISP Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 18:47:11 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6561

        Title:      Recommendations for the Remediation of 
                    Bots in ISP Networks 
        Author:     J. Livingood, N. Mody,
                    M. O'Reirdan
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 74562
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-oreirdan-mody-bot-remediation-20.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6561.txt

This document contains recommendations on how Internet Service
Providers can use various remediation techniques to manage the
effects of malicious bot infestations on computers used by their
subscribers.  Internet users with infected computers are exposed to
risks such as loss of personal data and increased susceptibility to
online fraud.  Such computers can also become inadvertent
participants in or components of an online crime network, spam
network, and/or phishing network as well as be used as a part of a
distributed denial-of-service attack.  Mitigating the effects of and
remediating the installations of malicious bots will make it more
difficult for botnets to operate and could reduce the level of online
crime on the Internet in general and/or on a particular Internet
Service Provider's network.  This document is not an Internet 
Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC