Subject: RFC 6554 on An IPv6 Routing Header for Source Routes with the Routing Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks (RPL)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 04:38:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6554

        Title:      An IPv6 Routing Header for 
                    Source Routes with the Routing Protocol 
                    for Low-Power and Lossy Networks (RPL) 
        Author:     J. Hui, JP. Vasseur,
                    D. Culler, V. Manral
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 30270
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6554.txt

In Low-Power and Lossy Networks (LLNs), memory constraints on routers
may limit them to maintaining, at most, a few routes.  In some
configurations, it is necessary to use these memory-constrained
routers to deliver datagrams to nodes within the LLN.  The Routing
Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks (RPL) can be used in some
deployments to store most, if not all, routes on one (e.g., the
Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG) root) or a few routers and forward the
IPv6 datagram using a source routing technique to avoid large routing
tables on memory-constrained routers.  This document specifies a new
IPv6 Routing header type for delivering datagrams within a RPL
routing domain.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC