Subject: Protocol Action: 'Sieve Email Filtering: Include Extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sieve-include-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 20:14:01 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Sieve Email Filtering: Include Extension'
  (draft-ietf-sieve-include-15.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sieve-include/

Technical Summary

   The Sieve Email Filtering "include" extension permits users to
   include one Sieve script inside another. This can make managing large
   scripts or multiple sets of scripts much easier, and allows a site
   and its users to build up libraries of scripts. Users are able to
   include their own personal scripts or site-wide scripts.

Working Group Summary

   This was a popular extension within the working group. It was under
   active development for about a year and a half, during which time a
   number of suggestions were discussed, and issues were ironed out. It
   then went dormant for a year because the editors (also the two
   chairs) were very busy, and the working group as a whole was very
   quiet. Once revived, it was finished up with final editing. There are
   no controversies at this point, and there were no major controversies
   during the document's development.

Document Quality

   The issues that were worked out during document development were
   mostly dealing with how to specify the included scripts, how multiple
   included scripts interact, and how to resolve conflicts among the
   different scripts. The working group expects that this isn't the
   final version, and that it will be updated after more experience in
   practical use -- that is, what's here is appropriate for Proposed
   Standard. There are at least two implementations of draft versions,
   and at least two other implementors plan to implement the final
   version.

Personnel

   Barry Leiba <[email-masked]> is the Document Shepherd.
   Pete Resnick <[email-masked]> is the Responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

   Section 3.5, end of second paragraph (typo "foreverpart"):
   OLD
   A "stop" in an included script, even
   within a "foreverpart" loop, still halts all script execution

   NEW
   A "stop" in an included script, even
   within a "foreverypart" loop, still halts all script execution