Subject: Protocol Action: 'Integrity Check Value and Timestamp TLV Definitions for MANETs' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-manet-packetbb-sec-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 14:17:40 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Integrity Check Value and Timestamp TLV Definitions for MANETs'
  (draft-ietf-manet-packetbb-sec-09.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-packetbb-sec/

Technical Summary 

   The document defines the mechanism for including a cryptographic
   signature for the key items in an RFC 5444 formatted packet. The
   document also specifies how mutable fields in the packet should
   be handled, such that the resulting signature can be correctly 
   verified by a recipient.  

Working Group Summary 

   The document has been reviewed by the working group quite carefully.
   The document reflects the consensus of the working group. 

Document Quality 

    The document has received careful review. The shepherd does not 
    know of any existing implementations at this time. 

Personnel

   Stan Ratliff ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD

RFC Editor Note

Section 1

OLD
   o  One common method for generating ICVs as a cryptographic function,
      calculated over the hash value of the content to be signed.
NEW
   o  One common method for generating ICVs as a cryptographic function,
      calculated over the hash value of the content.
END      

---

Section 3

OLD
   In Section 12, an example method
   for calculating such ICVs is given, using a cryptographic function
   over the hash value of the content to be signed.
NEW
   In Section 12, an example method
   for calculating such ICVs is given, using a cryptographic function
   over the hash value of the content.
END

---

Section 12.1

OLD
   <key-id>  is a field specifying the key identifier of the key that
      was used to sign the message, which allows unique identification
      of different keys with the same originator.
NEW
   <key-id>  is a field specifying the key identifier of the key that
      was used to calculate the ICV of the message, which allows unique
      identification of different keys with the same originator.
END