Subject: RFC 6566 on A Framework for the Control of Wavelength Switched Optical Networks (WSONs) with Impairments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6566

        Title:      A Framework for the Control 
                    of Wavelength Switched Optical Networks (WSONs) 
                    with Impairments 
        Author:     Y. Lee, Ed.,
                    G. Bernstein, Ed.,
                    D. Li, G. Martinelli
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 68851
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-impairments-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6566.txt

As an optical signal progresses along its path, it may be altered by
the various physical processes in the optical fibers and devices it
encounters.  When such alterations result in signal degradation,
these processes are usually referred to as "impairments".  These
physical characteristics may be important constraints to consider
when using a GMPLS control plane to support path setup and
maintenance in wavelength switched optical networks.

This document provides a framework for applying GMPLS protocols and
the Path Computation Element (PCE) architecture to support
Impairment-Aware Routing and Wavelength Assignment (IA-RWA) in wavelength
switched optical networks.  Specifically, this document discusses key
computing constraints, scenarios, and architectural processes: routing,
wavelength assignment, and impairment validation.  This document does
not define optical data plane aspects; impairment parameters; or
measurement of, or assessment and qualification of, a route;
rather, it describes the architectural and information components for
protocol solutions.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC