Subject: RFC 6525 on Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Stream Reconfiguration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:07:21 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6525

        Title:      Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) 
                    Stream Reconfiguration 
        Author:     R. Stewart, M. Tuexen,
                    P. Lei
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 72734
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-strrst-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6525.txt

Many applications that use the Stream Control Transmission Protocol
(SCTP) want the ability to "reset" a stream.  The intention of
resetting a stream is to set the numbering sequence of the stream
back to 'zero' with a corresponding notification to the application
layer that the reset has been performed.  Applications requiring this
feature want it so that they can "reuse" streams for different
purposes but still utilize the stream sequence number so that the
application can track the message flows.  Thus, without this feature,
a new use of an old stream would result in message numbers greater
than expected, unless there is a protocol mechanism to "reset the
streams back to zero".  This document also includes methods for
resetting the transmission sequence numbers, adding additional
streams, and resetting all stream sequence numbers.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC