Subject: Document Action: 'The Canonical Link Relation' to Informational RFC (draft-ohye-canonical-link-relation-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:01:59 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Canonical Link Relation'
  (draft-ohye-canonical-link-relation-05.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ohye-canonical-link-relation/

Technical Summary

   RFC 5988 specified a way to define relationships between links on
   the web.  This document describes a new type of such relationship,
   "canonical", which designates the preferred URI from a set of
   identical or vastly similar ones.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of a working group.  It emerged
   from a registration request on the [email-masked] list and
   received comprehensive review on the [email-masked] list.
   The discussion was fairly straightforward.  Some questions were
   raised about the need for the "canonical" link relation type and 
   about support for non-HTTP URIs.  Those issues have been 
   addressed in the most recent version.

Document Quality

   Reviews occurred on the [email-masked] list and the
   [email-masked] list, resulting in good quality for the
   specification.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd  / Responsible Area Director is
   Peter Saint-Andre.

RFC Editor Note

OLD
   In designating a canonical URI, please see [RFC3986] for information
   on URI encoding.

NEW
   Internationalization considerations for link relations are provided
   in Section 8 of [RFC5988].