Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-bit-06.txt> (Pseudowire Preferential Forwarding Status Bit) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 09:00:32 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to
Edge WG (pwe3) to consider the following document:
- 'Pseudowire Preferential Forwarding Status Bit'
  <draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-bit-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-03-21. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a mechanism for standby status signaling of
   redundant pseudowires (PWs) between their termination points. A set
   of redundant PWs is configured between provider edge (PE) nodes in
   single-segment pseudowire (SS-PW) applications, or between
   terminating provider edge (T-PE) nodes in multi-segment pseudowire
   (MS-PW) applications.

   In order for the PE/T-PE nodes to indicate the preferred PW to use
   for forwarding PW packets to one another, a new status bit is needed
   to indicate a preferential forwarding status of Active or Standby for
   each PW in a redundant set.

   In addition, a second status bit is defined to allow peer PE nodes to
   coordinate a switchover operation of the PW.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-bit/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-redundancy-bit/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.