Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-03.txt> (Deprecating Use of the "X-" Prefix in Application Protocols) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:47:50 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Applications Area Working Group
WG (appsawg) to consider the following document:
- 'Deprecating Use of the "X-" Prefix in Application Protocols'
  <draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash-03.txt> as a Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-03-15. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Historically, designers and implementers of application protocols
   have often distinguished between "standard" and "non-standard"
   parameters by prefixing the latter with the string "X-" or similar
   constructions.  In practice, this convention causes more problems
   than it solves.  Therefore, this document deprecates the "X-"
   convention for textual parameters in application protocols.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-xdash/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.