Subject: RFC 6550 on RPL: IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 04:37:19 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6550

        Title:      RPL: IPv6 Routing Protocol for 
                    Low-Power and Lossy Networks 
        Author:     T. Winter, Ed.,
                    P. Thubert, Ed.,
                    A. Brandt, J. Hui,
                    R. Kelsey, P. Levis,
                    K. Pister, R. Struik,
                    JP. Vasseur, R. Alexander
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      157
        Characters: 360651
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-roll-rpl-19.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6550.txt

Low-Power and Lossy Networks (LLNs) are a class of network in which
both the routers and their interconnect are constrained.  LLN routers
typically operate with constraints on processing power, memory, and
energy (battery power).  Their interconnects are characterized by
high loss rates, low data rates, and instability.  LLNs are comprised
of anything from a few dozen to thousands of routers.  Supported
traffic flows include point-to-point (between devices inside the
LLN), point-to-multipoint (from a central control point to a subset
of devices inside the LLN), and multipoint-to-point (from devices
inside the LLN towards a central control point).  This document
specifies the IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks
(RPL), which provides a mechanism whereby multipoint-to-point traffic
from devices inside the LLN towards a central control point as well
as point-to-multipoint traffic from the central control point to the
devices inside the LLN are supported.  Support for point-to-point
traffic is also available.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC