Subject: Protocol Action: 'SPF Authentication Failure Reporting using the Abuse Report Format' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-marf-spf-reporting-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:49:06 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'SPF Authentication Failure Reporting using the Abuse Report Format'
  (draft-ietf-marf-spf-reporting-10.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Messaging Abuse Reporting Format
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-marf-spf-reporting/

Technical Summary 

This memo presents extensions to the Abuse Reporting Format (ARF), 
and Sender Policy Framework (SPF) specifications to allow for 
detailed reporting of message authentication failures in an on-demand 
fashion. This memo updates RFC4408. 

Working Group Summary 

There was little controversy of note. The extensions presented here 
are useful to sites deploying SPF and seeking visibility into 
situations where mail covered by SPF is rejected or otherwise 
affected by local policy. Demand for this capability is increasing, 
especially from domains that are popular scam targets. 

Document Quality 

There are only a couple of known existing implementations, one made 
by a working group participant as the specification solidified to 
prove that it's viable. There are, however, several vendors that 
intend to implement this specificaiton and its adjuncts 
(draft-ietf-marf-redaction and draft-ietf-marf-dkim-reporting), along 
with other non-MARF specifications that provide this kind of feedback 
to respond to customer demand, upon publication. 

Personnel 

Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]> is the Document Shepherd. 
Pete Resnick <[email-masked]> is the responsible area director. 

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following change to the document:

OLD

     spf-rr-tag = "rr=" spf-rr-type 0* ( ":" spf-rr-type )

NEW

     spf-rr-tag = "rr=" spf-rr-type *( ":" spf-rr-type )