Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-ecrit-lost-sync-17.txt> (Synchronizing Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) Protocol based Service Boundaries and Mapping Elements) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 05:17:05 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Emergency Context Resolution
with Internet Technologies WG (ecrit) to consider the following document:
- 'Synchronizing Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) Protocol based
   Service Boundaries and Mapping Elements'
  <draft-ietf-ecrit-lost-sync-17.txt> as an Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-04-18. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) protocol is an XML-based
   protocol for mapping service identifiers and geodetic or civic
   location information to service URIs and service boundaries.  In
   particular, it can be used to determine the location-appropriate
   Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for emergency services.

   The main data structure, the <mapping> element, used for
   encapsulating information about service boundaries is defined in the
   LoST protocol specification and circumscribes the region within which
   all locations map to the same service Uniform Resource Identifier
   (URI) or set of URIs for a given service.

   This document defines an XML protocol to exchange these mappings
   between two nodes.  This mechanism is designed for the exchange of
   authoritative <mapping> elements between two entities.  Exchanging
   cached <mapping> elements, i.e. non-authoritative elements, is
   possible but not envisioned.  In any case, this document can also be
   used without the LoST protocol even though the format of the
   <mapping> element is re-used from the LoST specification.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-lost-sync/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-lost-sync/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1257/