Subject: Protocol Action: 'CalDAV Scheduling Extensions to WebDAV' to Proposed Standard (draft-desruisseaux-caldav-sched-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:10:10 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'CalDAV Scheduling Extensions to WebDAV'
  (draft-desruisseaux-caldav-sched-12.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-desruisseaux-caldav-sched/

Technical Summary 
    Scheduling is a core function of a calendaring system and this
    extension defines the process by which CalDAV clients and servers
    can use iCalendar (RFC 5545) and iTIP (RFC 5546) to accomplish that
    in a manner that ensures data consistency between organizer and
    attendee views of a scheduled event.

Working Group Summary 
    Discussion has taken place on the CalDAV mailing list over a long
    period of time as the document has evolved. There has been an
    "informal" last call on the document. In addition, there are now
    several implementations of the protocol in various client/server
    CalDAV products. Further discussions and interoperability testing
    has occurred in the Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium.

Document Quality     
    This document has been discussed and reviewed on the CalDAV
    (<[email-masked]>) mailing list. The original draft
    was developed in 2006, with a substantial re-working in 2007.
    Experienced calendar/CalDAV developers have been involved in its
    development, and new implementors have appeared over time too. There
    are already many deployed implementations of this protocol (many
    documented here http://caldav.calconnect.org/implementations.html),
    with feedback from those deployments having been incorporated into
    the specification. The specification has been the subject of regular
    interoperability tests at Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium
    events.

Personnel
   The Document Shepherd is Mike Douglass.
   The Responsible Area Director is Peter Saint-Andre.

RFC Editor Note
    Introduction, last paragraph:
    OLD
        Discussion of this Internet-Draft is taking place on the mailing
        lists at <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/caldav> and
        <http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-caldav>.
    NEW
        This specification has been under development for a number of years,
        and most current implementations of CalDAV support it.  With the
        publication of this document, it is expected that all new CalDAV
        implementations will support it by default.  Interoperability tests
        have been performed regularly.  Significant issues with incompatible
        CalDAV implementations are not anticipated.