Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dane-protocol-19.txt> (The DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) Protocol for Transport Layer Security (TLS)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:41:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the DNS-based Authentication of
Named Entities WG (dane) to consider the following document:
- 'The DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) Protocol for
   Transport Layer Security (TLS)'
  <draft-ietf-dane-protocol-19.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-04-25. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Encrypted communication on the Internet often uses Transport Level
   Security (TLS), which depends on third parties to certify the keys
   used.  This document improves on that situation by enabling the
   administrators of domain names to specify the keys used in that
   domain's TLS servers.  This requires matching improvements in TLS
   client software, but no change in TLS server software.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dane-protocol/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dane-protocol/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.