Subject: RFC 6604 on xNAME RCODE and Status Bits Clarification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:02:24 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6604

        Title:      xNAME RCODE and Status Bits 
                    Clarification 
        Author:     D. Eastlake 3rd
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 10790
        Updates:    RFC1035, RFC2308, RFC2672

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-xnamercode-00.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6604.txt

The Domain Name System (DNS) has long provided means, such as the CNAME
(Canonical Name), whereby a DNS query can be redirected to a different
name.  A DNS response header has an RCODE (Response Code) field, used
for indicating errors, and response status bits.  This document
clarifies, in the case of such redirected queries, how the RCODE and
status bits correspond to the initial query cycle (where the CNAME or
the like was detected) and subsequent or final query cycles.  
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC