Subject: RFC 6582 on The NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery Algorithm

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 14:13:10 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6582

        Title:      The NewReno Modification to TCP's 
                    Fast Recovery Algorithm 
        Author:     T. Henderson, S. Floyd,
                    A. Gurtov, Y. Nishida
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 35413
        Obsoletes:  RFC3782

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tcpm-rfc3782-bis-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6582.txt

RFC 5681 documents the following four intertwined TCP
congestion control algorithms: slow start, congestion avoidance, fast
retransmit, and fast recovery.  RFC 5681 explicitly allows
certain modifications of these algorithms, including modifications
that use the TCP Selective Acknowledgment (SACK) option (RFC 2883),
and modifications that respond to "partial acknowledgments" (ACKs
that cover new data, but not all the data outstanding when loss was
detected) in the absence of SACK.  This document describes a specific
algorithm for responding to partial acknowledgments, referred to as
"NewReno".  This response to partial acknowledgments was first proposed
by Janey Hoe.  This document obsoletes RFC 3782.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC