Subject: Protocol Action: 'Using DNS SRV to Specify a Global File Name Space with NFS version 4' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-dns-srv-namespace-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:32:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Using DNS SRV to Specify a Global File Name Space with NFS version 4'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-dns-srv-namespace-13.txt) as a Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-dns-srv-namespace/

Technical Summary

     The NFS version 4 protocol provides a natural way for a
     collection of NFS file servers to collaborate in providing an
     organization-wide file name space.  The DNS SRV RR allows a
     simple and appropriate way for an organization to publish the
     root of its name space, even to clients that might not be
     intimately associated with such an organization.  The DNS SRV RR
     can be used to join these organization-wide file name spaces
     together to allow construction of a global, uniform NFS version 4
     file name space.

Working Group Summary

     This NFSv4 name space discovery mechanism is an important first
     step to federating NFSv4 file servers.  Once an organization
     appropriate NFSv4 file server is located, the NFSv4 protocol,
     with the use of the FedFS backend services, will provide
     cohesive access to an organization's overall distributed file
     system name space.

Document Quality

     This document describes a effective use of a well-known mechanism.
     The mechanism has been prototyped and the working group is 
     comfortable with the future success of the mechanism.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd:Spencer Shepler ([email-masked])
   Responsible Area Director: Martin Stiemerling ([email-masked])