Subject: BCP 153, RFC 6598 on IANA-Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:19:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 153        
        RFC 6598

        Title:      IANA-Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared 
                    Address Space 
        Author:     J. Weil, V. Kuarsingh,
                    C. Donley, C. Liljenstolpe,
                    M. Azinger
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 22055
        Updates:    RFC5735
        See Also:   BCP00153

        I-D Tag:    draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-15.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6598.txt

This document requests the allocation of an IPv4 /10 address block to
be used as Shared Address Space to accommodate the needs of Carrier-
Grade NAT (CGN) devices.  It is anticipated that Service Providers
will use this Shared Address Space to number the interfaces that
connect CGN devices to Customer Premises Equipment (CPE).

Shared Address Space is distinct from RFC 1918 private address space
because it is intended for use on Service Provider networks.
However, it may be used in a manner similar to RFC 1918 private
address space on routing equipment that is able to do address
translation across router interfaces when the addresses are identical
on two different interfaces.  Details are provided in the text of
this document.

This document details the allocation of an additional special-use
IPv4 address block and updates RFC 5735.  This memo documents an 
Internet Best Current Practice.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC