Subject: Protocol Action: 'Email Greylisting: An Applicability Statement for SMTP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-appsawg-greylisting-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:07:26 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Email Greylisting: An Applicability Statement for SMTP'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-greylisting-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-greylisting/

Technical Summary
Preferred techniques for handling email abuse explicitly identify good
actors and bad actors, giving each significantly differential service.
 In some cases an actor does not have a known reputation; this can
justify providing degraded service, until there is a basis for
provider better service.  This latter approach is known as
"greylisting".  Broadly, the term refers to any degradation of service
for an unknown or suspect source, over a period of time.

Working Group Summary
There was nothing of note.  Because this is documenting existing
practice, there was broad agreement no real debate about the technical
details.  Document development was mostly a matter of wordsmithing and
clarifying, to make sure the text was accurate and complete.

Document Quality
This technique is quite widely implemented, and has been discussed in
the community for some time.  This is documenting that implementation,
demonstrating how to apply SMTP to this use case.

Personnel
Document shepherd: Alexey Melnikov
Responsible AD: Barry Leiba