Subject: RFC 6540 on IPv6 Support Required for All IP-Capable Nodes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:48:00 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 177
        RFC 6540

        Title:      IPv6 Support Required for All 
                    IP-Capable Nodes 
        Author:     W. George, C. Donley,
                    C. Liljenstolpe, L. Howard
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 12883
        See Also:   BCP0177

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-intarea-ipv6-required-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6540.txt

Given the global lack of available IPv4 space, and limitations in
IPv4 extension and transition technologies, this document advises
that IPv6 support is no longer considered optional.  It also cautions
that there are places in existing IETF documents where the term "IP"
is used in a way that could be misunderstood by implementers as the
term "IP" becomes a generic that can mean IPv4 + IPv6, IPv6-only, or
IPv4-only, depending on context and application.  This memo documents 
an Internet Best Current Practice.

This document is a product of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC