Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-19.txt> (ARP Mediation for IP Interworking of Layer 2 VPN) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:39:40 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l2vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'ARP Mediation for IP Interworking of Layer 2 VPN'
  <draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-19.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-04-26. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

The Virtual Private Wire Service (VPWS) [RFC4664] provides 
     point-to-point connections between pairs of Customer Edge (CE) 
     devices.  It does so by binding two Attachment Circuits (each 
     connecting a CE device with a Provider Edge, PE, device) to a 
     pseudowire (connecting the two PEs).  In general, the Attachment 
     Circuits must be of the same technology (e.g., both Ethernet, 
     both ATM), and the pseudowire must carry the frames of that 
     technology.  However, if it is known that the frames' payload 
     consists solely of IP datagrams, it is possible to provide a 
     point-to-point connection in which the pseudowire connects 
     Attachment Circuits of different technologies. This requires the 
     PEs to perform a function known as "ARP Mediation". ARP 
     Mediation refers to the process of resolving Layer 2 addresses 
     when different resolution protocols are used on either 
     Attachment Circuit. The methods described in this document are 
     applicable even when the CEs run a routing protocol between 
     them, as long as the routing protocol runs over IP.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1738/