Subject: WG Review: sunset4 (sunset4)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:41:57 -0700

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area.  The 
IESG has not made any determination as yet. The following draft charter 
was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please 
send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, 
April 24, 2012.

sunset4 (sunset4)
-----------------------------------------
Status: Proposed Working Group
Last Updated: 2012-04-13

Chairs:
   TBD

Internet Area Directors:
   Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
   Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>   <TBD>

Internet Area Advisor:
   <TBD>

Area Advisors:
   OPS: <TBD>
   TSV: <TBD>
   RTG: <TBD>

Mailing Lists:
   <TBD, pending final WG name>

Description of Working Group:

The IETF is committed to the deployment of IPv6 to ensure the
evolution of the Internet.  However, the IPv4-only components of the
Internet must continue to operate as much as possible during the
transition from IPv4 to IPv6.

The Working Group will standardize technologies that facilitate the
graceful sunsetting of the IPv4 Internet in the context of the
exhaustion of IPv4 address space while IPv6 is deployed.  These
technologies will likely be less optimal than equivalent technologies
for IPv6-only and dual-stack networks.  The Working Group works only
on IPv4 protocols to facilitate IPv4 sunsetting.

The Working Group may work on fixing security bugs in existing
IPv4-specific protocols but is not chartered to add new security
functionality to those protocols.

The working group will provide a single venue for the consideration of
IPv4 sunsetting, while ensuring that any such technologies do not
impede the deployment of IPv6 and do not duplicate functions and
capabilities already available in existing technologies. Therefore,
along the lines of draft-george-ipv6-support, before the working
group adopts any technology, it must:

1) describe the problem to be solved and show that there is widespread
   demand for a solution
2) demonstrate that the problem can not be solved with existing
   technologies
3) provide a description of the proposed solution along with the
   impact on current IPv4-only use and its ability to promote the
   deployment of IPv6 

These steps will likely be described in the form of a use case and
requirements document.

Only after the above mentioned steps have been completed and the
results accepted by the community will the IETF consider adding new
work items to the Working Group charter. This new work may include
protocol specifications.

The work spans over multiple IETF areas including as Internet,
Operations, Transport and Routing. Therefore, cross-area coordination
and support is essential and required. Any work on IPv4 to IPv6
transition methods is out of scope.

The initial work items are:
* Review current CGN documents, including requirements for
  standardization, and determine is CGN is a suitable sunsetting 
  technology to become a work item
* Gap analysis of IPv4 features to facilitate IPv4 sunsetting

Milestones

2012-09 Complete review of CGN and, if necessary, propose CGN work
        items
2013-06 Send gap analysis on IPv4 sunsetting to IESG