Subject: Protocol Action: 'ECC in OpenPGP' to Proposed Standard (draft-jivsov-openpgp-ecc-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:39:05 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'ECC in OpenPGP'
  (draft-jivsov-openpgp-ecc-14.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jivsov-openpgp-ecc/

Technical Summary

   This document proposes an Elliptic Curve Cryptography
   extension to the OpenPGP public key format and specifies three
   Elliptic Curves that enjoy broad support by other standards,
   including NIST standards.  The document aims to standardize an
   optimal but narrow set of parameters for best interoperability
   and it does so within the framework it defines that can be
   expanded in the future to allow more choices.

Working Group Summary

   This document has been discussed and reviewed by members of
   the concluded OpenPGP WG.  The OpenPGP protocol has an
   reserved algorithm ID for ECC; this document suggests the use
   the participants of the of this algorithm ID.  There was a
   consensus between the participants of the discussion to use
   this document as the specification for the use of ECC in
   OpenPGP.

Document Quality

  There are two independent implementations of this ECC extension
  to OpenPGP: The Symantec PGP software implements it, and a beta
  version of the Free Software Foundation's GnuPG software fully
  implements it. 

Personnel

   Wener Koch ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
   Sean Turner ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

Please add the following to the end of the last sentence in the abstract:

and these Elliptic Curves