Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dane-protocol-21.txt> (The DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol: TLSA) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 14:02:19 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the DNS-based Authentication of
Named Entities WG (dane) to consider the following document:
- 'The DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) Transport Layer
   Security (TLS) Protocol: TLSA'
  <draft-ietf-dane-protocol-21.txt> as Proposed Standard

This is a 2nd IETF LC on this document. The reason is that there 
were quite a few text changes, though no protocol changes, as a 
result of the 1st IETF LC and we'd like to check if the comments 
have been addressed in an acceptable (note: not perfectl!) manner.

The difference between -19 and -21 can be seen at:

https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-ietf-dane-protocol-19&difftype=--html&submit=Go!&url2=draft-ietf-dane-protocol-21

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-05-31. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Encrypted communication on the Internet often uses Transport Level
   Security (TLS), which depends on third parties to certify the keys
   used.  This document improves on that situation by enabling the
   administrators of domain names to specify the keys used in that
   domain's TLS servers.  This requires matching improvements in TLS
   client software, but no change in TLS server software.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dane-protocol/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dane-protocol/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.