Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-cdni-problem-statement-06.txt> (Content Distribution Network Interconnection (CDNI) Problem Statement) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 06:54:41 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Content Delivery Networks
Interconnection WG (cdni) to consider the following document:
- 'Content Distribution Network Interconnection (CDNI) Problem Statement'
  <draft-ietf-cdni-problem-statement-06.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-06-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) provide numerous benefits: reduced
   delivery cost for cacheable content, improved quality of experience
   for End Users and increased robustness of delivery.  For these
   reasons they are frequently used for large-scale content delivery.
   As a result, existing CDN Providers are scaling up their
   infrastructure and many Network Service Providers (NSPs) are
   deploying their own CDNs.  It is generally desirable that a given
   content item can be delivered to an End User regardless of that End
   User's location or attachment network.  This is the motivation for
   interconnecting standalone CDNs so they can interoperate as an open
   content delivery infrastructure for the end-to-end delivery of
   content from Content Service Providers (CSPs) to End Users.  However,
   no standards or open specifications currently exist to facilitate
   such CDN interconnection.

   The goal of this document is to outline the problem area of CDN
   interconnection for the IETF CDNI (CDN Interconnection) working
   group.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-problem-statement/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-problem-statement/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.