Subject: Protocol Action: 'Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) for RTP over UDP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtcore-ecn-for-rtp-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:25:58 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) for RTP over UDP'
  (draft-ietf-avtcore-ecn-for-rtp-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-ecn-for-rtp/

Technical Summary

  This memo specifies how Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) can be
  used with the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) running over UDP,
  using RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) as a feedback mechanism.  It
  defines a new RTCP Extended Report (XR) block for periodic ECN
  feedback, a new RTCP transport feedback message for timely reporting
  of congestion events, and a Session Traversal Utilities for NAT
  (STUN) extension used in the optional initialization method using
  Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE).  Signalling and
  procedures for negotiation of capabilities and initialization methods
  are also defined.

Working Group Summary

  There were no controversy about the proposed solution and there was
  consensus on all discussion points

Document Quality

 There is at least one research implementation and there is fairly strong commercial
 interest. There was interest in this work by other standard bodies like 3GPP and 
 ITU-T SG16 who need to reference it.

 The SDP attributes and ICE options defined in the document were sent to
 review in MMUSIC on September 30, 2011

Personnel

  Roni Even is the document shepherd.
  Robert Sparks is the responsible area director.