Subject: Document Action: 'An IANA registry for Level of Assurance (LoA) Profiles' to Informational RFC (draft-johansson-loa-registry-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 09:18:37 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An IANA registry for Level of Assurance (LoA) Profiles'
  (draft-johansson-loa-registry-06.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-johansson-loa-registry/

Technical Summary

The notion of a "Level of Assurance" (LoA for short) is a common way to
express "strength" or "quality" of a digital identiy. Federations and trust
frameworks define such LoAs by establishing conditions on identity proofing,
credentials management and authentication strength. Protocols that carry
identity information (eg ABFAB, SAML or OpenID Connect) reference LoAs to
express the quality of an identity claim or assertion.

This document establishes an IANA registry for Level of Assurance Profiles. The
registry is intended to be used as an aid to discovering such LoA definitions in
protocols that use an LoA concept, including SAML 2.0 and OpenID Connect.

Working Group Summary

This work has been done as an individual contribution and is not part of any
IETF WG. The work has been socialized in and reviewed by the identity community
where identity assurance is discussed, including the Kantara Identity Assurance
WG and the Kantara Federation Interoperability WG and the OpenID Connect
community.

Document Quality

There is a concrete demand for the registry from vendors that implement
identity protocols aswell as from organizations that implement trust
frameworks. 

Personnel

Tim Polk ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
Sean Turner ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.