Subject: RFC 6625 on Wildcards in Multicast VPN Auto-Discovery Routes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:27:27 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6625

        Title:      Wildcards in Multicast VPN Auto-Discovery 
                    Routes 
        Author:     E. Rosen, Ed.,
                    Y. Rekhter, Ed.,
                    W. Hendrickx, 
                    R. Qiu
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 35348
        Updates:    RFC6514

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-wildcards-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6625.txt

In Multicast Virtual Private Networks (MVPNs), customer multicast
flows are carried in "tunnels" through a service provider's network.
The base specifications for MVPN define BGP multicast VPN
"auto-discovery routes" and specify how to use an auto-discovery
route to advertise the fact that an individual customer multicast
flow is being carried in a particular tunnel.  However, those
specifications do not provide a way to specify, in a single such
route, that multiple customer flows are being carried in a single
tunnel.  Those specifications also do not provide a way to advertise
that a particular tunnel is to be used by default to carry all
customer flows, except in the case where that tunnel is joined by all
the provider edge routers of the MVPN.  This document eliminates
these restrictions by specifying the use of "wildcard" elements in
the customer flow identifiers.  With wildcard elements, a single
auto-discovery route can refer to multiple customer flows or even to
all customer flows. [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC