Subject: Results of IETF-conflict review for <draft-tsou-softwire-gwinit-6rd-06.txt>

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 13:39:23 -0700

The IESG has completed a review of <draft-tsou-softwire-gwinit-6rd>
consistent with RFC5742.

The IESG has concluded that this work is related to IETF work done
in the softwire WG, but this relationship does not prevent publishing.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tsou-softwire-gwinit-6rd/

The process for such documents is described at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

   This document proposes an alternative 6rd deployment model to that of
   RFC 5969.  The basic 6rd model allows IPv6 hosts to gain access to
   IPv6 networks across an IPv4 access network using 6-in-4 tunnels. 6rd
   requires support by a device (the 6rd-CE) on the customer site, which
   must also be assigned an IPv4 address.  The alternative model
   described in this document initiates the 6-in-4 tunnels from an
   operator-owned gateway collocated with the operator's IPv4 network
   edge, rather than from customer equipment.  The advantages of this
   approach are that it requires no modification to customer equipment
   and avoids assignment of IPv4 addresses to customer equipment.  The
   latter point means less pressure on IPv4 addresses in a high-growth
   environment.

Working Group Summary

  The software WG reviewed this document but there was no consensus
  to publish it as a WG document due to lack of interest.

Document Quality

   Ralph Droms reviewed the document and concluded that the IESG
   note included below is appropriate.

Personnel

   Ralph Droms is the responsible AD for the IESG review of this document.

IESG Note

 The IESG has concluded that this work is related to IETF work done
 in the softwire WG, but this relationship does not prevent publishing.