Subject: Protocol Action: 'Update to MIME regarding Charset Parameter Handling in Textual Media Types' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-appsawg-mime-default-charset-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:10:42 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Update to MIME regarding Charset Parameter Handling in Textual Media
   Types'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-mime-default-charset-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-mime-default-charset/

Technical Summary

This document changes RFC 2046 rules regarding default charset 
parameter values for text/* media types to better align with common 
usage by existing clients and servers. 

Working Group Summary

This is part of a trio of related documents that had good support from 
within the working group. Apart from this, the development and processing 
were not unusual. 

Document Quality

The document alters MIME character set defaults to match current 
practices. The current media type registration designated expert 
(Ned Freed) has reviewed and agrees with the material in the document. 

Personnel

The document shepherd is Murray Kucherawy.
The responsible AD is Barry Leiba