Subject: Protocol Action: 'EAP Extensions for EAP Re-authentication Protocol (ERP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-hokey-rfc5296bis-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 08:51:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'EAP Extensions for EAP Re-authentication Protocol (ERP)'
  (draft-ietf-hokey-rfc5296bis-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Handover Keying Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hokey-rfc5296bis/

Technical Summary

	The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) is a generic framework
   	supporting multiple types of authentication methods.  In systems
   	where EAP is used for authentication, it is desirable to avoid
   	repeating the entire EAP exchange with another authenticator.  This
   	document specifies extensions to EAP and the EAP keying hierarchy to
   	support an EAP method-independent protocol for efficient re-
   	authentication between the peer and an EAP re-authentication server
   	through any authenticator.  The re-authentication server may be in
   	the home network or in the local network to which the peer is
   	connecting.

	This memo obsoletes RFC 5296.

Working Group Summary

	The document is a product of the Hokey working group. The document has 
        working group consensus.

Document Quality

	The document simplifies the usage scenarios identified 
        and optimizes the procedure, protocol for the specific 
        usage scenario. This document has gotten sufficient review 
        from people with both OPS and Security background. The  
        quality of the document is good.

Personnel

   Tina Tsou is the document shepherd.
   Stephen Farrell is the responsible AD