Subject: Document Action: 'Considerations for Deploying the Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP Sessions (RAMS) Method' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-avtext-rams-scenarios-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:12:20 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Considerations for Deploying the Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP
   Sessions (RAMS) Method'
  (draft-ietf-avtext-rams-scenarios-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rams-scenarios/

Technical Summary

  The Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP Sessions (RAMS) solution is a
  method based on RTP and RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) that enables an
  RTP receiver to rapidly acquire and start consuming the RTP multicast
  data.  Upon a request from the RTP receiver, an auxiliary unicast RTP
  retransmission session is set up between a retransmission server and
  the RTP receiver, over which the reference information about the new
  multicast stream the RTP receiver is about to join is transmitted at
  an accelerated rate.  This often precedes, but may also accompany,
  the multicast stream itself.  When there is only one multicast stream
  to be acquired, the RAMS solution works in a straightforward manner.
  However, when there are two or more multicast streams to be acquired
  from the same or different multicast RTP sessions, care should be
  taken to configure each RAMS session appropriately.  This document
  provides example scenarios and discusses how the RAMS solution could
  be used in such scenarios.

Working Group Summary

 The document is a product of the AVTEXT working group. All controversial issues
 were issues of the preceding RAMS document already published in RFC 6285, and
 this document raised no new issues.

Document Quality

 There are existing implementations of RFC 6285. This document merely gives some
 example scenarios of the usage of RFC 6285.

Personnel

 Keith Drage is the document shepherd. 
 Gonzalo Camarillo is the responsible area director.