Subject: Document Action: 'DECoupled Application Data Enroute (DECADE) Problem Statement' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-decade-problem-statement-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 07:53:36 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'DECoupled Application Data Enroute (DECADE) Problem Statement'
  (draft-ietf-decade-problem-statement-06.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Decoupled Application Data Enroute
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-decade-problem-statement/

Technical Summary

   Peer-to-peer (P2P) applications have become widely used on the
   Internet today and make up a large portion of the traffic in many
   networks.  In P2P applications, one technique for reducing the
   transit and uplink P2P traffic is to introduce storage capabilities
   within the network.  Traditional caches (e.g., P2P and Web caches)
   provide such storage, but they are complex (due to explicitly
   supporting individual P2P application protocols and cache refresh
   mechanisms) and they do not allow users to manage access to content
   in the cache.  For example, content providers wishing to use in-
   network storage cannot easily control cache access and resource usage
   policies to satisfy their own requirements.  This document discusses
   the introduction of in-network storage for P2P applications, and
   shows the need for a standard protocol for accessing this storage.

Working Group Summary

The WG strongly supports this document for publication. Many WG members have
read and agreed with it.

Document Quality

 This is a problem statement document, and provides the motivations for the
DECADE effort and its scope. Optimizing peer-to-peer applications are the
primary motivation for DECADE, and the document authors and reviewers are well-
versed in P2P technology. The document was reviewed by DECADE WG members, 
the WG Chairs, and key non-WG contributors, particularly by Akbar Rahman, Roni Even, 
David Bryan, Ning Zong, Börje Ohlmann and Tao Ma.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Richard Woundy ([email-masked]) 
   Responsible Area Director: Martin Stiemerling ([email-masked])