Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-gtsm-06.txt> (The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM) for Label Distribution Protocol (LDP)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 06:20:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document:
- 'The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM) for Label Distribution
   Protocol (LDP)'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-gtsm-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-05-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM) describes a generalized
   use of a packets Time to Live (TTL) (IPv4) or Hop Limit (IPv6) to
   verify that the packet was sourced by a node on a connected link,
   thereby protecting the router's IP control-plane from CPU utilization
   based attacks.  This technique improves security and is used by many
   protocols.  This document defines the GTSM use for the Label
   Distribution Protocol (LDP).

   This specification uses a bit reserved in RFC 5036 and therefore
   updates RFC 5036.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-gtsm/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-gtsm/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.