Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 10:21:35 -0700

The Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime) working group in the Operations and Management Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)
------------------------------------------

 Charter

 Current Status: Active

 Chairs:
     Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
     Lionel Morand <[email-masked]>

 Operations and Management Area Directors:
     Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
     Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

 Operations and Management Area Advisor:
     Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:
     General Discussion: [email-masked]
     To Subscribe:       https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
     Archive:            http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dime/

Description of Working Group:

The Diameter Maintenance and Extensions WG will focus on maintenance and
extensions to the Diameter protocol required to enable its use for
authentication, authorization, accounting, charging in network access,
provisioning of configuration information within the network, and for
new AAA session management uses within the extensibility rules of the
Diameter base protocol.

The DIME working group plans to address the following items:

- Maintaining and/or progressing, along the standards track, the
Diameter Base protocol and Diameter Applications. This includes
extensions to Diameter Base protocol that can be considered as enhanced
features or bug fixes.

- Diameter application design guideline. This document will provide
guidelines for design of Diameter extensions. It will detail when to
consider reusing an existing application and when to develop a new
application.

- Protocol extensions for bulk and grouped AAA session management. The
aim of this work is to study and standardize a solution for handling
groups of AAA sessions within the Diameter base protocol context. The
solution would define how to identify and handle grouped AAA sessions in
commands and operations.

Additionally, Diameter-based systems require interoperability in order
to work. The working group, along with the AD, will need to evaluate any
potential extensions and require verification that the proposed
extension is needed, and is within the extensibility rules of Diameter
and AAA scope. Coordination with other IETF working groups and other
SDOs (e.g. 3GPP) will be used to ensure this.

Goals and Milestones:

Done     - Submit the following two Diameter Mobility documents to the 
           IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standards:* 'Diameter 
           Mobile IPv6: Support for Home Agent to Diameter Server 
           Interaction' * 'Diameter Mobile IPv6: Support for Network 
           Access Server to Diameter Server Interaction'
Done     - Submit 'Diameter API' to the IESG for consideration as an 
           Informational RFC
Done     - Submit 'Quality of Service Parameters for Usage with 
           Diameter' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
           Standard.
Done     - Submit 'Diameter QoS Application' to the IESG for 
           consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Support for EAP Re-authentication Protocol' 
           as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter User-Name and Realm Based Request Routing 
           Clarifications' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Proxy Mobile IPv6' as DIME working group 
           item
Done     - Submit 'Quality of Service Attributes for Diameter' to the 
           IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Proxy Mobile IPv6' to the IESG for 
           consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter User-Name and Realm Based Request Routing 
           Clarifications' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
           Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter NAT Control Application' as DIME working 
           group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Capabilities Update' as DIME working group 
           item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Credit Control Application MIB' to the IESG 
           for consideration as an Informational RFC
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Base Protocol MIB' to the IESG for 
           consideration as an Informational RFC
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Capabilities Update' to the IESG for 
           consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Extended NAPTR' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter' as DIME working 
           group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Support for Proxy Mobile IPv6 Localized 
           Routing' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Attribute-Value Pairs for Cryptographic Key 
           Transport' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Priority Attribute Value Pairs' as DIME 
           working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter IKEv2 PSK' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit Revision of 'Diameter Base Protocol' to the IESG for 
           consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Attribute-Value Pairs for Cryptographic Key 
           Transport' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
           Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Priority Attribute Value Pairs' to the IESG 
           for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit Revision of 'Diameter Network Access Server 
           Application - RFC 4005bis' as DIME working group item
Done     - Submit 'Diameter NAT Control Application' to the IESG for 
           consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter IKEv2 PSK' to the IESG for consideration as 
           a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Extended NAPTR' to the IESG for 
           consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done     - Submit 'Diameter Support for Proxy Mobile IPv6 Localized 
           Routing' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Mar 2012 - Submit 'Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter' to the IESG for 
           consideration as a Proposed Standard
Mar 2012 - Submit Revision of 'Diameter Network Access Server 
           Application - RFC 4005bis' to the IESG for consideration as a 
           Proposed Standard
May 2012 - Submit 'Diameter Application Design Guidelines' to the IESG 
           for consideration as a BCP document
Jul 2012 - Submit 'Diameter Support for EAP Re-authentication Protocol' 
           to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Aug 2012 - Submit 'problem statement and requirements for Diameter end-
           to-end security framework' as Dime working group item
Aug 2012 - Submit a document on 'Protocol extension for bulk and group 
           signaling' as a working group item
Dec 2012 - Submit 'problem statement and requirements for Diameter end-
           to-end security framework' to the IESG for consideration as 
           an Informational RFC
Aug 2013 - Submit a document on 'Protocol extension for bulk and group 
           signaling' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed 
           Standard