Subject: RFC 6606 on Problem Statement and Requirements for IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Network (6LoWPAN) Routing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 09:38:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6606

        Title:      Problem Statement and Requirements for 
                    IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area 
                    Network (6LoWPAN) Routing 
        Author:     E. Kim, D. Kaspar,
                    C. Gomez, C. Bormann
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 75436
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6lowpan-routing-requirements-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6606.txt

IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs) are
formed by devices that are compatible with the IEEE 802.15.4
standard.  However, neither the IEEE 802.15.4 standard nor the
6LoWPAN format specification defines how mesh topologies could be
obtained and maintained.  Thus, it should be considered how 6LoWPAN
formation and multi-hop routing could be supported.

This document provides the problem statement and design space for
6LoWPAN routing.  It defines the routing requirements for 6LoWPANs,
considering the low-power and other particular characteristics of the
devices and links.  The purpose of this document is not to recommend
specific solutions but to provide general, layer-agnostic guidelines
about the design of 6LoWPAN routing that can lead to further analysis
and protocol design.  This document is intended as input to groups
working on routing protocols relevant to 6LoWPANs, such as the IETF
ROLL WG.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; 
it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the IPv6 over Low power WPAN Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC