Subject: Protocol Action: 'Diameter Base Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dime-rfc3588bis-33.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 09:20:34 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Diameter Base Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-dime-rfc3588bis-33.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Diameter Maintenance and Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Ronald Bonica.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dime-rfc3588bis/

Technical Summary

   The Diameter base protocol is intended to provide an Authentication,
   Authorization and Accounting (AAA) framework for applications such as
   network access or IP mobility in both local and roaming situations.
   This document specifies the message format, transport, error
   reporting, accounting and security services used by all Diameter
   applications.  The Diameter base protocol as defined in this document
   obsoletes RFC 3588 and must be supported by all new Diameter
   implementations.

Working Group Summary

  The document spent almost four years in the WG, which is
  unreasonably long time. This was not a result of large 
  controversy, but rather ensuring nothing important breaks
  in backwards compatibility. At IETF-79 the WG decided to include 
  in this version of Diameter support for Diameter over SCTP and 
  asked for the document to be updated and brought up again to the 
  WG and IETF consensus before it is submitted to IESG evaluation. 
  Three IETF Last Calls where hold. 

Document Quality

  FreeDiameter (www.freediameter.net) implements a previous
  version of the specification.

  A number of vendors have indicated interest on implementing
  the specification due it correcting several known flaws.

Personnel

 Jouni Korhonen is the Document Shepherd for this document.
 Dan Romascanu is the Responsible Area Director.