Subject: RFC 6543 on Reserved IPv6 Interface Identifier for Proxy Mobile IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 16:59:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6543

        Title:      Reserved IPv6 Interface Identifier for 
                    Proxy Mobile IPv6 
        Author:     S. Gundavelli
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 10565
        Updates:    RFC5213

        I-D Tag:    draft-gundavelli-v6ops-pmipv6-address-reservations-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6543.txt

Proxy Mobile IPv6 (RFC 5213) requires that all mobile access gateways
use a fixed link-local address and a fixed link-layer address on any
of their access links that they share with mobile nodes.  This
requirement was intended to ensure that a mobile node does not detect
any change with respect to its Layer 3 attachment, even after it
roams from one mobile access gateway to another.  In the absence of
any reserved addresses for this use, coordination across vendors and
manual configuration of these addresses on all of the mobility
elements in a Proxy Mobile IPv6 domain are required.  This document
attempts to simplify this operational requirement by making a
reservation for special addresses that can be used for this purpose.
This document also updates RFC 5213.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC