Subject: RFC 6624 on Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Using BGP for Auto-Discovery and Signaling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:27:14 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6624

        Title:      Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks 
                    Using BGP for Auto-Discovery and Signaling 
        Author:     K. Kompella, B. Kothari,
                    R. Cherukuri
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 64693
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-kompella-l2vpn-l2vpn-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6624.txt

Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (L2VPNs) based on Frame Relay or ATM
circuits have been around a long time; more recently, Ethernet VPNs,
including Virtual Private LAN Service, have become popular.
Traditional L2VPNs often required a separate Service Provider
infrastructure for each type and yet another for the Internet and IP
VPNs.  In addition, L2VPN provisioning was cumbersome.  This document
presents a new approach to the problem of offering L2VPN services
where the L2VPN customer's experience is virtually identical to that
offered by traditional L2VPNs, but such that a Service Provider can
maintain a single network for L2VPNs, IP VPNs, and the Internet, as
well as a common provisioning methodology for all services.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC