Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-spfbis-experiment-09.txt> (Resolution of The SPF and Sender ID Experiments) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 05:44:17 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the SPF Update WG (spfbis) to
consider the following document:
- 'Resolution of The SPF and Sender ID Experiments'
  <draft-ietf-spfbis-experiment-09.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-06-09. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In 2006 the IETF published a suite of protocol documents comprising
   SPF and Sender ID, two proposed email authentication protocols.  Both
   of these protocols enable one to publish via the Domain Name System a
   policy declaring which mail servers were authorized to send email on
   behalf of the domain name being queried.  There was concern that the
   two would conflict in some significant operational situations,
   interfering with message delivery.

   The IESG required the publication of all of these documents (RFC4405,
   RFC4406, RFC4407, and RFC4408) with Experimental status, and
   requested that the community observe deployment and operation of the
   protocols over a period of two years from the date of publication to
   determine a reasonable path forward.

   After six years, sufficient experience and evidence have been
   collected that the experiments thus created can be considered
   concluded.  This document presents those findings.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spfbis-experiment/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-spfbis-experiment/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.