Subject: RFC 6534 on Loss Episode Metrics for IP Performance Metrics (IPPM)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 12:01:58 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6534

        Title:      Loss Episode Metrics for IP 
                    Performance Metrics (IPPM) 
        Author:     N. Duffield, A. Morton,
                    J. Sommers
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 45147
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ippm-loss-episode-metrics-04.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6534.txt

The IETF has developed a one-way packet loss metric that measures the
loss rate on a Poisson and Periodic probe streams between two hosts.
However, the impact of packet loss on applications is, in general,
sensitive not just to the average loss rate but also to the way in
which packet losses are distributed in loss episodes (i.e., maximal
sets of consecutively lost probe packets).  This document defines
one-way packet loss episode metrics, specifically, the frequency and
average duration of loss episodes and a probing methodology under
which the loss episode metrics are to be measured.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC