Subject: Protocol Action: 'Raptor FEC Schemes for FECFRAME' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-fecframe-raptor-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 15:36:48 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Raptor FEC Schemes for FECFRAME'
  (draft-ietf-fecframe-raptor-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the FEC Framework Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-fecframe-raptor/

Technical Summary

   This document describes Fully-Specified Forward Error Correction
   (FEC) Schemes for the Raptor and RaptorQ codes and their application
   to reliable delivery of media streams in the context of FEC
   Framework.  The Raptor and RaptorQ codes are systematic codes, where
   a number of repair symbols are generated from a set of source symbols
   and sent in one or more repair flows in addition to the source
   symbols that are sent to the receiver(s) within a source flow.  The
   Raptor and RaptorQ codes offer close to optimal protection against
   arbitrary packet losses at a low computational complexity.  Six FEC
   Schemes are defined, two for protection of arbitrary packet flows,
   two that are optimised for small source blocks and another two for
   protection of a single flow that already contains a sequence number.
   Repair data may be sent over arbitrary datagram transport (e.g.  UDP)
   or using RTP.

Working Group Summary

   There has been controversy over this document in the past, but by now it
   represents WG consensus.

   IPR was declared, and announced in 2009
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/fecframe/current/msg00514.html
   updated in 2011 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/fecframe/current/msg00886.html,
   and updated in 2012 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/fecframe/current/msg00985.html
   The WG is aware of the IPR and is fine with the situation.  

Document Quality

   The document was reviewed by the WG and also by non-WG members.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Greg Shepherd
   Responsible Area Director: Martin Stiemerling