Subject: Document Action: 'Allocation of a Generic Associated Channel Type for ITU-T MPLS Transport Profile Operation, Maintenance, and Administration (MPLS-TP OAM)' to Informational RFC (draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 06:19:17 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Allocation of a Generic Associated Channel Type for ITU-T MPLS
   Transport Profile Operation, Maintenance, and Administration (MPLS-
   TP OAM)'
  (draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point-04.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-betts-itu-oam-ach-code-point/

Technical Summary

   This document assigns a Generic Associated Channel (G-ACh) Type for
   carrying ITU-T MPLS Transport Profile Operations, Administration, and
   Management (MPLS-TP OAM) messages in the MPLS Generic Associated
   Channel.

   This document does not contain technical details of OAM for MPLS-TP
   networks. Those details are found in ITU-T determined Recommendation
   G.8113.1 that is a normative reference.

Working Group Summary

   This document is an individual submission via AD sponsorship aiming to
   gain IETF consensus. It is not the product of a working group.

   IETF last call was notified to the MPLS and PWE3 working groups.

   This document does not make any comment on the judgement of the
   working groups in their technical decisions about which MPLS-TP OAM
   to standardise, but does observe that the MPLS WG selected a different
   OAM mechanism and that the IETF community considers the development
   of two sets of MPLS-TP OAM to be a bad idea.

   IETF last call saw an active debate, and the document has been updated
   to address the comments raised.

Document Quality

   This document does not contain protocol details.

   Reports have been received suggesting implementation of G.8113.1 by four
   vendors with successful interoperability testing, and suggesting that more 
   than 350,000 nodes have been deployed "that implement or will be
   upgraded to implement" the function described in G.8113.1. 

   The publication of this document will be held in the normal way until the
   publication of the normative reference has been achieved. It is 
   understood that this will require approval of G.8113.1 by the ITU-T.

Personnel

   Huub van Helvoort ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Sponsoring AD.

RFC Editor Note

Section1 para 2

s/Generic Associated Channel (G-ACh) Type/Generic Associated Channel (G-ACh) Type [RFC5586]

---

Section 6.1

OLD
[G.8113.1]   ITU-T Recommendation ''Operations, Administration and
             Maintenance mechanism for MPLS-TP in Packet Transport
             Network (PTN)'' 10/12,
             http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.8113.1/en
             (Note to RFC editor: This link will become valid after
             G.8113.1 is approved)
NEW
[G.8113.1]   ITU-T Recommendation ''Operations, Administration and
             Maintenance mechanism for MPLS-TP in Packet Transport
             Network (PTN)'' <date>,
             http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.8113.1/en
             [Notes to RFC editor:
             This link will become valid after G.8113.1 is approved.
             Please insert date of approval of G.8113.1.]
END

---

  The RFC Editor should note that there is a normative reference to an
  unpublished ITU-T Recommendation, [G.8113.1]. The RFC Editor is
  requested to proceed as far as possible through the publication 
  process for this RFC (including author review of the edited text) so
  that publication of the RFC can follow rapidly upon notification from 
  the ITU-T should they decide to approve and publish their
  Reccomendation. 

  Note that this will require coordination with the IANA as noted in the
  IANA Note below.

---

IESG Note

  The IESG notes that the IETF has developed a set of OAM
  tools for MPLS-TP that have been published as Standards
  Track RFCs. A list of the relevant RFCs can be found in 
  RFC xxxx.  The approval of this document and the
  assignment of an ACh Type does not constitute
  endorsement by the IETF of the alternate MPLS-TP OAM
  documented in G.8113.1. The IESG recommends instead
  that the RFCs noted above should be implemented.

[RFC Editor - please replace xxxx with the RFC number 
assigned to draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-analysis.]

---

IANA Note

  IANA allocations should only be made against stable references.
  IANA is requested to make the allocation requested in this 
  publication only once the ITU-T informs the IETF that G.8113.1
  has passed all formal approvals and has been forwarded to their 
  secretariat for final publication.