Subject: Protocol Action: 'Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-regs-14.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:39:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-regs-14.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-regs/

Technical Summary

This document defines procedures for the specification and
registration of media types for use in HTTP, MIME and other Internet
protocols.

Working Group Summary

The document was developed by seasoned experts in media types,
and was preceded by significant discussion. The process has been
mostly smooth, but for a great deal of wordsmithing and then picking
nits in the smithed words.  That process could go on forever, and
sometimes seems to.

Document Quality

The document updates media type registration procedures based on
experience since the publication of RFC4288. The procedures created
there and in its antecedent have been around for a long time; this
document merely refines them.  The aforementioned wordsmithing
has given us a solid document.

Personnel

Murray Kucherawy is the Document Shepherd.
Barry Leiba is the responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor notes:

Section 3.1
OLD
   The first procedure is used for registering registrations from IETF
   Consensus documents
NEW
   The first procedure is used for registrations from IETF
   Consensus documents