Subject: WG Action: Rechartered TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions (tcpm)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:28:36 -0700

The TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions (tcpm) working group in the
Transport Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional
information please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions (tcpm)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Michael Scharf <[email-masked]>
  Yoshifumi Nishida <[email-masked]>
  Pasi Sarolahti <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Wesley Eddy <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tcpm/

Charter of Working Group:

TCP is currently the Internet's predominant transport protocol. TCPM
is the working group within the IETF that handles small TCP changes,
i.e., minor extensions to TCP algorithms and protocol mechanisms.
The TCPM WG serves several purposes: 

* The WG mostly focuses on maintenance issues (e.g., bug fixes) and
modest changes to the protocol, algorithms, and interfaces that
maintain TCP's utility.

* The WG is a venue for moving current TCP specifications along the
standards track (as community energy is available for such efforts). 

* The focus of the working group is TCP. In cases where small
changes are directly applicable to other transports (e.g., SCTP or
DCCP), the mappings to other transports may be specified alongside
that for TCP, but other significant additions and changes to other
transports are not in scope.

TCPM also provides a venue for standardization of incremental
enhancements of TCP's standard congestion control, but such changes
may require additional review by the IRTF Congestion Control
Research Group (ICCRG). Fundamental changes to TCP or its congestion
control algorithms (e.g., departure from loss-based congestion
control) will be handled by other working groups or will require
rechartering.

TCP's congestion control algorithms are the model followed by
alternate transports (e.g., SCTP or DCCP), which are standardized in
other working groups, such as the Transport Area WG (tsvwg). In the
past, the IETF has worked on several documents about algorithms that
are specified for multiple protocols (e.g., TCP and SCTP) in the
same document. Which WG shepherds such documents will be determined
on a case-by-case basis. In any case, the TCPM WG will remain in
close contact with other relevant WGs working on these protocols to
ensure openness and stringent review from all angles.

New TCPM milestones that fall within the scope specified within the
charter can be added after consensus on acceptance in the working
group and approval by the responsible Area Director.

Milestones:
  Done     - Submit FRTO draft to IESG for publication as an Experimental
RFC
  Done     - Submit TCP Roadmap document to IESG for publication as a 
Best Current Practices RFC
  Done     - Submit NCR Reordering Mitigation draft to the IESG for
publication as an Experimental RFC
  Done     - Submit overview of spoofing attacks against TCP to IESG for
publication as an Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit User TimeOut option document to the IESG for 
publication as a Proposed Standard RFC
  Done     - Submit SYN flooding document to the IESG for publication as
an Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit soft errors document to the IESG for publication as
an Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit In-Window Attack draft to IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard RFC
  Done     - Submit ECN-SYN document to the IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard RFC
  Done     - Submit revision of RFC 2581 to the IESG for publication as a
Draft Standard
  Done     - Submit TCP Authentication Option document to the IESG for
Proposed Standard RFC
  Done     - Submit ICMP attack document to the IESG for publication as
an Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit TCP Early-Retransmit document to the IESG for
Experimental RFC
  Jul 2009 - Submit update to RFC 1323 to the IESG for Proposed Standard
RFC
  Done     - Submit MSS text revision originally from RFC 1323 appendix
to the IESG for Proposed Standard RFC
  Done     - Submit TCP Urgent Pointer draft to IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard RFC
  Aug 2010 - Submit document on security hardening of TCP implementations
to the IESG for publication as a Best Current Practices RFC
  Done     - Submit document on the use of SACK data to trigger loss
recovery to the IESG for Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit document on mitigation of 'Long Connectivity
Disruptions' to the IESG for Experimental
  Done     - Submit document on moving undeployed TCP extensions to
Historic status to the IESG for publication as an Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit RFC2988bis document to the IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit document updating the NewReno RFC 3782 to the IESG
for publication as Proposed Standard
  Sep 2011 - Submit document on increasing the initial window to IESG as
Experimental
  Done     - Submit RFC1948bis document to the IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard
  May 2012 - Submit document on a proportional rate reduction mechanism
to the IESG as Experimental
  Sep 2012 - Submit document on shared use of experimental TCP options to
the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard RFC
  Sep 2012 - Submit document on a TCP fast open mechanism to the IESG for
publication as an Experimental RFC