Subject: Document Action: 'The "about" URI Scheme' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:53:38 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The "about" URI Scheme'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme-07.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-about-uri-scheme/

Technical Summary

This document specifies the "about" URI scheme, that is widely used
by Web browsers and some other applications to designate access to
their internal resources.

Working Group Summary

There was a little controversial discussion about IANA registration policy
in choosing between FCFS and Specification Required.  There were some
who wanted to specify more about-tokens and their details, but consensus
came down to being minimal. This document got reasonable rough
consensus for FCFS.

Document Quality

There are multiple existing implementations of about: URIs.  The main point
of this document is to register a scheme that's been in use for some time, and
to document its usage.

Personnel

Jiankang Yao is the Document Shepherd.
Barry Leiba is the Responsible Area Director.

IANA Note

The AD has talked with IANA about how the registry might be presented.
The document shows it as a table and a registration template.  IANA will
decide on the final presentation, working with the editor and AD as needed.