Subject: Protocol Action: 'Localized Routing for Proxy Mobile IPv6' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-netext-pmip-lr-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 09:18:38 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Localized Routing for Proxy Mobile IPv6'
  (draft-ietf-netext-pmip-lr-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network-Based Mobility Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netext-pmip-lr/

Technical Summary

Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) is a network based mobility management
protocol that enables IP mobility for a host without requiring its
participation in any mobility-related signaling. PMIPv6 requires all
communications to go through the local mobility anchor. As this can
be suboptimal, localized routing (LR) allows mobile nodes attached to
the same or different mobile access gateways to route traffic by
using localized forwarding or a direct tunnel between the gateways.
This document proposes initiation, utilization and termination
mechanisms for localized routing between mobile access gateways
within a proxy mobile IPv6 domain. It defines two new signaling
messages, Localized Routing Initiation (LRI) and Local Routing
Acknowledgment (LRA), that are used to realize this mechanism.

Working Group Summary

This document has been presented and discussed at length in the
working group. It includes multiple contributors who are listed in
the Authors section. There is sufficient consensus behind the
document. The authors could not agree on the tunnelling mechanism
to be used between the MAGs. This has however been resolved based
on the solution that is presented in RFC5949 (Fast Handovers for
Proxy Mobile IPv6).

Document Quality

There are no known implementation of the protocol at the present
time. However there is strong interest in utilizing the
optimization feature in the context of network based mobility
solutions. The document quality is good and provides reasonable
clarity for an implementer who understands PMIP6 (RFC5213).

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is Basavaraj Patil, and the responsible
   Area Director is Brian Haberman.

RFC Editor Note

- Section 5.1

OLD:

When the LMA receives the PBU from nMAG for MN1, it
will see that localized routing is active for MN1.  It MUST hence
initiate LR at nMAG and update the LR state of MAG.

NEW:

When the LMA receives the PBU from nMAG for MN1, it
will see that localized routing is active for MN1.  The LMA MUST hence
initiate LR at nMAG and update the LR state of pMAG.

- Section 11.1

OLD:
        Reserved (R)

            This 8-bit field is unused for now.

NEW:
        Reserved (R)

            This 8-bit field is unused.