Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-bmwg-2544-as-04.txt> (RFC 2544 Applicability Statement: Use on Production Networks Considered Harmful) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:03:08 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Benchmarking Methodology WG
(bmwg) to consider the following document:
- 'RFC 2544 Applicability Statement: Use on Production Networks
   Considered Harmful'
  <draft-ietf-bmwg-2544-as-04.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-06-26. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Benchmarking Methodology Working Group (BMWG) has been developing key
   performance metrics and laboratory test methods since 1990, and
   continues this work at present.  Recent application of the methods
   beyond their intended scope is cause for concern.  The methods
   described in RFC 2544, where overload is a possible outcome, would no
   doubt be harmful to user traffic performance on a production network.
   This memo clarifies the scope of RFC 2544 and other benchmarking work
   for the IETF community.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-2544-as/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-2544-as/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.