Subject: Document Action: 'Sanctions Available for Application to Violators of IETF IPR Policy' to Informational RFC (draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:39:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Sanctions Available for Application to Violators of IETF IPR Policy'
  (draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions-07.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions/

Technical Summary

  The IETF has developed and documented Intellectual Property Rights
  (IPR) policies that govern the behavior of all IETF participants with
  respect to patents and patent filings about which they might
  reasonably be aware.

  The IETF takes conformance to these IPR policies very seriously.
  However, there has been some ambiguity as to what the appropriate
  sanctions are for the violation of these policies, and how and by whom
  those sanctions are to be applied.

  This document discusses these issues and provides a suite of potential
  actions that may be taken within the IETF community.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not the product of any IETF WG.

  There was no big controversy but there were comments when this was
  discussed on the IETF discuss list.

Document Quality

  The document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.  Stephen
  Farrell is the document shepherd, and he also did a review.

Note to the RFC Editor

  In Section 9, please change "Liebe" to "Leiba".