Subject: Document Action: 'Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)' to Experimental RFC (draft-templin-aero-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:07:47 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)'
  (draft-templin-aero-12.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-aero/

Technical Summary

  Nodes attached to common multi-access link types (e.g., multicast-
   capable, shared media, non-broadcast multiple access (NBMA), etc.)
   can exchange packets as neighbors on the link, but may not always be
   provisioned with sufficient routing information for optimal neighbor
   selection.  Such nodes should therefore be able to discover a trusted
   intermediate router on the link that provides both forwarding
   services to reach off-link destinations and redirection services to
   inform the node of an on-link neighbor that is closer to the final
   destination.  This redirection can provide a useful route
   optimization, since the triangular path from the ingress link
   neighbor, to the intermediate router, and finally to the egress link
   neighbor may be considerably longer than the direct path from ingress
   to egress.  However, ordinary redirection may lead to operational
   issues on certain link types and/or in certain deployment scenarios.
   This document therefore introduces an Asymmetric Extended Route
   Optimization (AERO) capability that addresses the issues.

Working Group Summary

  This document is an independent document, not reviewed
  by any IETF Working group.

Document Quality

There are no current implementations of this protocol.
  The document shepherd and sponsoring AD have both
  provided significant review and comments which have
  been incorporated by the author.

Personnel

  The document shepherd for this document is Joel M. Halpern.
  The  sponsoring AD for this document is Stewart Bryant