Subject: RFC 6575 on Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) Mediation for IP Interworking of Layer 2 VPNs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:48:20 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6575

        Title:      Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) Mediation 
                    for IP Interworking of Layer 2 
                    VPNs 
        Author:     H. Shah, Ed.,
                    E. Rosen, Ed.,
                    G. Heron, Ed.,
                    V. Kompella, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 65881
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-19.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6575.txt

The Virtual Private Wire Service (VPWS), detailed in RFC 4664, provides
point-to-point connections between pairs of Customer Edge (CE)
devices.  It does so by binding two Attachment Circuits (each
connecting a CE device with a Provider Edge (PE) device) to a
pseudowire (connecting the two PEs).  In general, the Attachment
Circuits must be of the same technology (e.g., both Ethernet or
both ATM), and the pseudowire must carry the frames of that
technology.  However, if it is known that the frames' payload
consists solely of IP datagrams, it is possible to provide a
point-to-point connection in which the pseudowire connects
Attachment Circuits of different technologies.  This requires the
PEs to perform a function known as "Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
Mediation".  ARP Mediation refers to the process of resolving Layer 2
addresses when different resolution protocols are used on either
Attachment Circuit.  The methods described in this document are
applicable even when the CEs run a routing protocol between
them, as long as the routing protocol runs over IP.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC