Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-17.txt> (Guidelines for Use of the RTP Monitoring Framework) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 13:00:00 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance WG (avtcore) to consider the following document:
- 'Guidelines for Use of the RTP Monitoring Framework'
  <draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-17.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-08-02. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This memo proposes an extensible RTP monitoring framework for
   extending RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) with a new RTCP Extended
   Reports (XR) block type to report new metrics regarding media
   transmission or reception quality.  In this framework, a new XR block
   should contain a single metric or a small number of metrics relevant
   to a single parameter of interest or concern, rather than containing
   a number of metrics which attempt to provide full coverage of all
   those parameters of concern to a specific application.  Applications
   may then "mix and match" to create a set of blocks which covers their
   set of concerns.  Where possible, a specific block should be designed
   to be re-usable across more than one application, for example, for
   all of voice, streaming audio and video.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.