Subject: RFC 6697 on Handover Keying (HOKEY) Architecture Design

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:28:33 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6697

        Title:      Handover Keying (HOKEY) Architecture Design 
        Author:     G. Zorn, Ed.,
                    Q. Wu, T. Taylor,
                    Y. Nir, K. Hoeper,
                    S. Decugis
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 44243
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-hokey-arch-design-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6697.txt

The Handover Keying (HOKEY) Working Group seeks to minimize handover
delay due to authentication when a peer moves from one point of
attachment to another.  Work has progressed on two different
approaches to reduce handover delay: early authentication (so that
authentication does not need to be performed during handover), and
reuse of cryptographic material generated during an initial
authentication to save time during re-authentication.  A basic
assumption is that the mobile host or "peer" is initially
authenticated using the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP),
executed between the peer and an EAP server as defined in RFC 3748.

This document defines the HOKEY architecture.  Specifically, it
describes design objectives, the functional environment within which
handover keying operates, the functions to be performed by the HOKEY
architecture itself, and the assignment of those functions to
architectural components.  It goes on to illustrate the operation of
the architecture within various deployment scenarios that are
described more fully in other documents produced by the HOKEY Working
Group.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification;
it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Handover Keying Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC