Subject: Document Action: 'The application/zlib and application/gzip media types' to Informational RFC (draft-levine-application-gzip-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:41:30 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The application/zlib and application/gzip media types'
  (draft-levine-application-gzip-03.txt) as Informational RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-levine-application-gzip/

Technical Summary

   This document defines the 'application/gzip' and 'application/zlib'
   media types for compressed data using the gzip and zlib compression
   formats.

Working Group Summary

   This document is not the product of a WG. However, it has
   gotten review by several people well-versed in MIME, including
   the Expert Reviewer for the media types registry.

Document Quality

   There are many applications that have used these media types,
   but they have never been formally registered. This registration
   fills an obvious hole. As noted above, several reviewers,
   including the appropriate Expert Review reviewer, were satisfied
   with the document. The document was reviewed on the ietf-types
   mailing list as well.

Personnel

   Pete Resnick is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

   ADs have pointed out inconsistent capitalization of the term
   "zlib" in the document, and use of references of the form
   "Section [named-section]", which might be difficult to read.
   The RFC Editor should address these as it sees fit within
   its own editorial policy.