Subject: Results of IETF-conflict review for <draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-6to4-provider-managed-tunnel-06.txt>

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 09:38:59 -0700

The IESG has completed a review of
<draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-6to4-provider-managed-tunnel> consistent with
RFC5742.  This review is applied to all non-IETF streams.

The IESG has no problem with the publication of '6to4 Provider Managed
Tunnels' <draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-6to4-provider-managed-tunnel-06.txt> as
an Informational RFC.

The IESG would also like the RFC-Editor to review the comments in
the datatracker
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-6to4-provider-managed-tunnel/)
related to this document and determine whether or not they merit
incorporation into the document. Comments may exist in both the ballot
and the history log.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-6to4-provider-managed-tunnel/

The process for such documents is described at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

   6to4 Provider Managed Tunnels (6to4-PMT) provide a framework which
   can help manage 6to4 [RFC3056] tunnels operating in an anycast
   [RFC3068] configuration.  The 6to4-PMT framework is intended to serve
   as an option to operators to help improve the experience of 6to4
   operation when conditions of the network may provide sub-optimal
   performance or break normal 6to4 operation. 6to4-PMT provides a
   stable provider prefix and forwarding environment by utilizing
   existing 6to4 relays with an added function of IPv6 Prefix
   Translation.  This operation may be particularly important in NAT444
   infrastructures where a customer endpoint may be assigned a non-
   RFC1918 address thus breaking the return path for anycast [RFC3068]
   based 6to4 operation.  The 6to4-PMT model has successfully been used
   in a production network and has been implemented as open source code
   and by a major routing vendor.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not the product of any IETF WG.

Document Quality

  This draft was considered by the V6OPS WG and considered to be out of scope. 
  However, no significant defects in the document were identified.

Personnel

  Ron Bonica is the document shepherd

IESG Note

   The IESG has concluded that this work is related to IETF work done
   in the V6OPS WG, but this relationship does not prevent publishing.