Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Location Dereferencing Protocol Using HELD' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-geopriv-deref-protocol-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:23:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Location Dereferencing Protocol Using HELD'
  (draft-ietf-geopriv-deref-protocol-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-geopriv-deref-protocol/

Technical Summary 

This document describes how to use the Hypertext Transfer Protocol 
(HTTP) over Transport Layer Security (TLS) as a 
dereferencing protocol to resolve a reference to a Presence Information 
Data Format Location Object (PIDF-LO).  The 
document assumes that a Location Recipient possesses a URI that can be 
used in conjunction with the HELD protocol to 
request the location of the Target.

Working Group Summary 

This document describes a profile of the HELD protocol, which was the 
topic of extensive discussions about authorization 
and privacy during its development.  Those discussions extended somewhat 
to this document as well, but have been 
resolved with appropriate discussion of possible authorization policies 
and their implications.

Document Quality 

This document is a profile of HELD, which currently has multiple 
interoperable implementations.  This document is a part 
of the NENA i3 specification for IP-based emergency calling in the US.

Personnel

Robert Sparks is the responsible Area Director.
Richard Barnes is the document shepherd.