Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist-07.txt> (Distribution of diverse BGP paths.) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 10:42:53 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Global Routing Operations WG
(grow) to consider the following document:
- 'Distribution of diverse BGP paths.'
  <draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist-07.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-07-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The BGP4 protocol specifies the selection and propagation of a single
   best path for each prefix.  As defined and widely deployed today BGP
   has no mechanisms to distribute alternate paths which are not
   considered best path between its speakers.  This behaviour results in
   number of disadvantages for new applications and services.

   This document presents an alternative mechanism for solving the
   problem based on the concept of parallel route reflector planes.
   Such planes can be built in parallel or they can co-exist on the
   current route reflection platforms.  Document also compares existing
   solutions and proposed ideas that enable distribution of more paths
   than just the best path.

   This proposal does not specify any changes to the BGP protocol
   definition.  It does not require upgrades to provider edge or core
   routers nor does it need network wide upgrades.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.