Subject: RFC 6654 on Gateway-Initiated IPv6 Rapid Deployment on IPv4 Infrastructures (GI 6rd)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 21:09:59 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6654

        Title:      Gateway-Initiated IPv6 Rapid Deployment on 
                    IPv4 Infrastructures (GI 6rd) 
        Author:     T. Tsou, C. Zhou,
                    T. Taylor, Q. Chen
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       July 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 16949
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-tsou-softwire-gwinit-6rd-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6654.txt

This document proposes an alternative IPv6 Rapid Deployment on IPv4
Infrastructures (6rd) deployment model to that of RFC 5969.  The
basic 6rd model allows IPv6 hosts to gain access to IPv6 networks
across an IPv4 access network using 6-in-4 tunnels. 6rd requires
support by a device (the 6rd customer edge, or 6rd-CE) on the
customer site, which must also be assigned an IPv4 address.  The
alternative model described in this document initiates the 6-in-4
tunnels from an operator-owned Gateway collocated with the operator's
IPv4 network edge rather than from customer equipment, and hence is
termed "Gateway-initiated 6rd" (GI 6rd).  The advantages of this
approach are that it requires no modification to customer equipment
and avoids assignment of IPv4 addresses to customer equipment.  The
latter point means less pressure on IPv4 addresses in a high-growth
environment.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC