Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure -- HTTP Transfer for CMP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-transport-protocols-20.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:23:37 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure -- HTTP Transfer for CMP'
  (draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-transport-protocols-20.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509)
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Sean Turner and Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pkix-cmp-transport-protocols/

Technical Summary

CMP was designed [RFC 2510] to be carried over various transport
protocols, and the initial specification described how to do so for TCP,
HTTP, FTP, and MIME (at varying levels of detail). The current version
of CMP [RFC 4210] included an informative reference to a document that
was supposed to define how to carry CMP over various transport
protocols. That document expired in 2000, leaving no updated, detailed
description for how to transport CMP messages. This document was
prepared to replace that old one. The authors of this document
resurrected the HTTP part of that document, after the original authors
indicated that they were not available to work on this document.

Working Group Summary

As noted above, this document attracted little interest in the WG,
because it focuses on use of CMP (which is not popular) in the 3GPP
environment (which is equally uninteresting to most WG members).

Document Quality

The document is reasonably well written and fairly clear (modulo some
spelling errors), especially considering that the authors are not native
English speakers. 

Personnel

Steve Kent ([email-masked]) is the Document Shepherd.
Sean Turner ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD.