Subject: Protocol Action: 'Indicating Email Handling States in Trace Fields' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-appsawg-received-state-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:53:11 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Indicating Email Handling States in Trace Fields'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-received-state-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-received-state/

Technical Summary
This document registers a trace field clause for use in indicating
transitions between handling queues or processing states, including
enacting inter- and intra-host message transitions. This might
include message quarantining, mailing list moderation, timed
delivery, queueing for further analysis, content conversion, or other
similar causes, as well as optionally identifying normal handling
queues. This allows inspection of the trace information to reveal that
the cause for a time gap in trace fields was an imposed delay rather
than one caused by transient technical difficulties.

Working Group Summary
The WG discussed appropriate IANA procedure for the new registry
created by the document. The WG was deciding between Expert Review
and FCFS. Consensus was a rough on this one.  Otherwise the document
is really non controversial. 

Document Quality
There is at least one existing implementation of this specification.  At least
two more are planned.  No special purpose reviews are needed for this
document. 

Personnel
Alexey Melnikov is the document shepherd. Barry Leiba is the responsible AD.