Subject: RFC 6660 on Encoding Three Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) States in the IP Header Using a Single Diffserv Codepoint (DSCP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:13:22 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6660

        Title:      Encoding Three Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) 
                    States in the IP Header Using 
                    a Single Diffserv Codepoint (DSCP) 
        Author:     B. Briscoe, T. Moncaster,
                    M. Menth
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 52230
        Obsoletes:  RFC5696

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6660.txt

The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
The overall rate of PCN-traffic is metered on every link in the PCN-
domain, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
configured rates are exceeded.  Egress nodes pass information about
these PCN-marks to Decision Points that then decide whether to admit
or block new flow requests or to terminate some already admitted
flows during serious pre-congestion.

This document specifies how PCN-marks are to be encoded into the IP
header by reusing the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
codepoints within a PCN-domain.  The PCN wire protocol for non-IP
protocol headers will need to be defined elsewhere.  Nonetheless,
this document clarifies the PCN encoding for MPLS in an informational
appendix.  The encoding for IP provides for up to three different PCN
marking states using a single Diffserv codepoint (DSCP): not-marked
(NM), threshold-marked (ThM), and excess-traffic-marked (ETM).
Hence, it is called the 3-in-1 PCN encoding.  This document obsoletes
RFC 5696.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC