Subject: RFC 6659 on Considerations for Deploying the Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP Sessions (RAMS) Method

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:01:31 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6659

        Title:      Considerations for Deploying the Rapid 
                    Acquisition of Multicast RTP Sessions (RAMS) 
                    Method 
        Author:     A. Begen
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 24234
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtext-rams-scenarios-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6659.txt

The Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP Sessions (RAMS) solution is a
method based on RTP and the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) that enables
an RTP receiver to rapidly acquire and start consuming the RTP
multicast data.  Upon a request from the RTP receiver, an auxiliary
unicast RTP retransmission session is set up between a retransmission
server and the RTP receiver, over which the reference information
about the new multicast stream the RTP receiver is about to join is
transmitted at an accelerated rate.  This often precedes, but may
also accompany, the multicast stream itself.  When there is only one
multicast stream to be acquired, the RAMS solution works in a
straightforward manner.  However, when there are two or more
multicast streams to be acquired from the same or different multicast
RTP sessions, care should be taken to configure each RAMS session
appropriately.  This document provides example scenarios and
discusses how the RAMS solution could be used in such scenarios.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC