Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM) for Label Distribution Protocol (LDP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-gtsm-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:31:30 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM) for Label Distribution
   Protocol (LDP)'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-gtsm-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-gtsm/

Technical Summary

   The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM) describes a generalized
   use of a packets Time to Live (TTL) (IPv4) or Hop Limit (IPv6) to
   verify that the packet was sourced by a node on a connected link,
   thereby protecting the router's IP control-plane from CPU utilization
   based attacks.  This technique improves security and is used by many
   protocols.  This document defines the GTSM use for the Label
   Distribution Protocol (LDP).

   This specification uses a bit reserved in RFC 5036 and therefore
   updates RFC 5036.

Working Group Summary

  This document has been through a pretty normal working group 
  process, with no discontent and strong support.

  The document was last called in the MPLS working group, and information
  about this last call was copied to the rtgwg. 

Document Quality

  We know of plans to implement this specification. A request was 
  sent to the MPLS working mailing list for further information and
  there were indications from vendors that this will be implemnted.

  Since this is based on RFC 5082 and LDP is a pretty 
  straightforward protocol the review process has not led to
  any major changes in the document. One of the co-authors of
  this document is also a co-author of RFC 5082. LDP was also 
  highlighted in RFC 5082 as one of the potential protocols that
  the would benefite from a GTSM mechanis.

  The AD review prior to IETF last call led to a number of minor
  updates, and a Routing Directorate review by Eric Gray during
  IETF last call led to a further revision.

Personnel

  Loa Andersson ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd
  Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD