Subject: WG Action: Rechartered Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 08:42:17 -0700

The Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime) working group in the
Operations and Management Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For
additional information please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
  Lionel Morand <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dime/

Charter of Working Group:

The Diameter Maintenance and Extensions WG will focus on maintenance and 
extensions to the Diameter protocol required to enable its use for 
authentication, authorization, accounting, charging in network access, 
provisioning of configuration information within the network, and for 
new AAA session management uses within the extensibility rules of the 
Diameter base protocol.

The DIME working group plans to address the following items:

- Maintaining and/or progressing, along the standards track, the 
  Diameter Base protocol and Diameter Applications. This includes 
  extensions to Diameter Base protocol that can be considered as 
  enhanced features or bug fixes.

- Diameter application design guideline. This document will provide 
  guidelines for design of Diameter extensions. It will detail when to 
  consider reusing an existing application and when to develop a new 
  application.

- Protocol extensions for bulk and grouped AAA session management. The 
  aim of this work is to study and standardize a solution for handling 
  groups of AAA sessions within the Diameter base protocol context. The 
  solution would define how to identify and handle grouped AAA sessions 
  in commands and operations.

- Diameter overload control. The aim of this work is to identify the 
  limitations of the Diameter protocol level overload control provided 
  by the current Diameter Base protocol. A set of requirements will be 
  provided to define a new Diameter level overload control mechanism.

Additionally, Diameter-based systems require interoperability in order 
to work. The working group, along with the AD, will need to evaluate any 
potential extensions and require verification that the proposed 
extension is needed, and is within the extensibility rules of Diameter 
and AAA scope. Coordination with other IETF working groups and other 
SDOs (e.g. 3GPP) will be used to ensure this.

Milestones:
  Done     - Submit the following two Diameter Mobility documents to the
IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standards:* 'Diameter Mobile IPv6:
Support for Home Agent to Diameter Server Interaction' * 'Diameter Mobile
IPv6: Support for Network Access Server to Diameter Server Interaction'
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter API' to the IESG for consideration as an
Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit 'Quality of Service Parameters for Usage with
Diameter' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter QoS Application' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Support for EAP Re-authentication Protocol'
as DIME working group item
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter User-Name and Realm Based Request Routing
Clarifications' as DIME working group item
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Proxy Mobile IPv6' as DIME working group
item
  Done     - Submit 'Quality of Service Attributes for Diameter' to the
IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Proxy Mobile IPv6' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter User-Name and Realm Based Request Routing
Clarifications' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter NAT Control Application' as DIME working
group item
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Capabilities Update' as DIME working group
item
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Credit Control Application MIB' to the IESG
for consideration as an Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Base Protocol MIB' to the IESG for
consideration as an Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Capabilities Update' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Extended NAPTR' as DIME working group item
  Done     - Submit 'Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter' as DIME working
group item
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Support for Proxy Mobile IPv6 Localized
Routing' as DIME working group item
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Attribute-Value Pairs for Cryptographic Key
Transport' as DIME working group item
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Priority Attribute Value Pairs' as DIME
working group item
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter IKEv2 PSK' as DIME working group item
  Done     - Submit Revision of 'Diameter Base Protocol' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Attribute-Value Pairs for Cryptographic Key
Transport' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Priority Attribute Value Pairs' to the IESG
for consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit Revision of 'Diameter Network Access Server
Application - RFC 4005bis' as DIME working group item
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter NAT Control Application' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter IKEv2 PSK' to the IESG for consideration as
a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Extended NAPTR' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit 'Diameter Support for Proxy Mobile IPv6 Localized
Routing' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Mar 2012 - Submit 'Realm-Based Redirection In Diameter' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Mar 2012 - Submit Revision of 'Diameter Network Access Server
Application - RFC 4005bis' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard
  May 2012 - Submit 'Diameter Application Design Guidelines' to the IESG
for consideration as a BCP document
  Jul 2012 - Submit 'Diameter Support for EAP Re-authentication Protocol'
to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Aug 2012 - Submit 'problem statement and requirements for Diameter
end-to-end security framework' as Dime working group item
  Aug 2012 - Submit a document on 'Protocol extension for bulk and group
signaling' as a working group item
  Sep 2012 - Submit I-D 'Diameter Overload Control Requirements' as a
working group document. To be Standards Track RFC.
  Nov 2012 - Submit I-D 'Diameter Overload Control' as a working group
document. To be Standards Track RFC.
  Dec 2012 - Submit I-D 'Diameter Overload Control Requirements' to the
IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Dec 2012 - Submit 'problem statement and requirements for Diameter
end-to-end security framework' to the IESG for consideration as an
Informational RFC
  Mar 2013 - Submit I-D 'Diameter Overload Control' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard
  Aug 2013 - Submit a document on 'Protocol extension for bulk and group
signaling' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard