Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling-05.txt> (Operational Requirements for Enhanced Error Handling Behaviour in BGP-4) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:25:35 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Global Routing Operations WG
(grow) to consider the following document:
- 'Operational Requirements for Enhanced Error Handling Behaviour in
   BGP-4'
  <draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling-05.txt> as
Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-09-13. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   BGP-4 is utilised as a key intra- and inter-Autonomous System routing
   protocol in modern IP networks.  The failure modes as defined by the
   original protocol standards are based on a number of assumptions
   around the impact of session failure.  Numerous incidents both in the
   global Internet routing table and within Service Provider networks
   have been caused by strict handling of a single invalid UPDATE
   message causing large-scale failures in one or more Autonomous
   Systems.

   This memo describes the current use of BGP-4 within Service Provider
   networks, and outlines a set of requirements for further work to
   enhance the mechanisms available to a BGP-4 implementation when
   erroneous data is detected.  Whilst this document does not provide
   specification of any standard, it is intended as an overview of a set
   of enhancements to BGP-4 to improve the protocol's robustness to suit
   its current deployment.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.