Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-22.txt> (An Extension to the Session Description Protocol (SDP) and Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) for Media Loopback) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:30:58 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multiparty Multimedia Session
Control WG (mmusic) to consider the following document:
- 'An Extension to the Session Description Protocol (SDP) and Real-time
   Transport Protocol (RTP) for Media Loopback'
  <draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-22.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-08-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

    The wide deployment of Voice over IP (VoIP), Text and Video over IP
    services has introduced new challenges in managing and maintaining
    real-time voice/text/video quality, reliability, and overall
    performance.  In particular, media delivery is an area that needs
    attention.  One method of meeting these challenges is monitoring
    the media delivery performance by looping media back to the
    transmitter.  This is typically referred to as "active monitoring"
    of services.   Media loopback is especially popular in ensuring the
    quality of transport to the edge of a given VoIP, Real-time Text or
    Video over IP service.  Today in networks that deliver real-time
    media, short of running 'ping' and 'traceroute' to the edge,
    administrators are left without the necessary tools to actively
    monitor, manage, and diagnose quality issues with their service.
    The extension defined herein adds new SDP media types and
    attributes, which enable establishment of media sessions where the
    media is looped back to the transmitter. Such media sessions will
    serve as monitoring and troubleshooting tools by providing the
    means for measurement of more advanced VoIP, Real-time Text and
    Video over IP performance metrics.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.