Subject: Document Action: 'Cisco Systems Export of Application Information in IPFIX' to Informational RFC (draft-claise-export-application-info-in-ipfix-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:30:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Cisco Systems Export of Application Information in IPFIX'
  (draft-claise-export-application-info-in-ipfix-10.txt) as Informational
RFC

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Ronald Bonica.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-claise-export-application-info-in-ipfix/

Technical Summary 

  This document's title is "Cisco Systems Export of Application Information in IPFIX".
  It points out that various vendors implement different
  ways of determining the type of application producing a flow, but
  that we need an RFC-specified way of exporting that information
  using IPFIX.  The document describes a taxonomy of application
  types, ordered by 'classification engine IDs.'  These IDs are
  mostly IANA registries, but the document also proposes new one
  called PANA-Lx (where Lx can be L2, L3 or L4) for Proprietary Layer
  3 definitions.  The intention here is that vendors could publish
  their own sets of Application IDs, so that they would be freely
  available.

Working Group Summary 

  This is an Individual Submission, but - as mentioned above - it has
  been discussed, and received considerable support in the IPFIX
  Working Group.

Document Quality 

  The document does not define a new protocol, instead it defines a
  set of new IPFIX Information IDs; I see no difficulties with these.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd is Nevil Browlee