Subject: RFC 6706 on Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:46:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6706

        Title:      Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO) 
        Author:     F. Templin, Ed.
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      33
        Characters: 77250
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-templin-aero-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6706.txt

Nodes attached to common multi-access link types (e.g., multicast-
capable, shared media, non-broadcast multiple access (NBMA), etc.)
can exchange packets as neighbors on the link, but they may not
always be provisioned with sufficient routing information for optimal
neighbor selection.  Such nodes should therefore be able to discover
a trusted intermediate router on the link that provides both
forwarding services to reach off-link destinations and redirection
services to inform the node of an on-link neighbor that is closer to
the final destination.  This redirection can provide a useful route
optimization, since the triangular path from the ingress link
neighbor, to the intermediate router, and finally to the egress link
neighbor may be considerably longer than the direct path from ingress
to egress.  However, ordinary redirection may lead to operational
issues on certain link types and/or in certain deployment scenarios.
This document therefore introduces an Asymmetric Extended Route
Optimization (AERO) capability that addresses the issues.  This document 
defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC