Subject: Protocol Action: 'Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Encapsulation for NAT Traversal (DCCP-UDP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:08:05 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Encapsulation for NAT
   Traversal (DCCP-UDP)'
  (draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Wesley Eddy and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dccp-udpencap/

Technical Summary

The document specifies a mechanism to encapsulate DCCP packets
in UDP datagrams, to support NAT traversal through devices
that do not support DCCP natively. It also discusses various
interactions related to encapsulation, such as those related
to MTU discovery or ECN processing, and interactions with
higher level protocols.

Working Group Summary

The DCCP working group has been generally supportive of the
document. It went through three working group last calls;
starting on August 2010, February 2011, and April 2012. All
WGLCs have been forwarded also to TSVWG working group, and the
second WGLC was announced in MMUSIC working group. During the
first WGLC, various technical fixes were proposed. The second
WGLC proposed integration with NAT traversal signaling
solutions such as ICE. However, specifying this was
considered to be a significant effort, and not within DCCP WG's
expertise, so it was decided that these interactions will be
specified in a separate document. The third WGLC on the
current version of the document was concluded without
comments. Given all these iterations and cross-WG review, the
shepherd thinks the document has gone through a good review.

Document Quality

As indicated above, the document went through a cross-WG
review with TSVWG and MMUSIC WGs. Some individual
implementation prototypes of the earlier version of the
specification have been made, but at the moment no
implementation activities on this specification are known.

Personnel

Document Shepherd is Pasi Sarolahti <[email-masked]>
Responsible Area Director is Wesley Eddy <[email-masked]>.