Subject: Document Action: 'Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA)' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 08:31:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA)'
  (draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-12.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Global Routing Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ronald Bonica and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-simple-va/

Technical Summary

The continued growth in the Default Free Routing Table (DFRT)
   stresses the global routing system in a number of ways.  One of the
   most costly stresses is FIB size: ISPs often must upgrade router
   hardware simply because the FIB has run out of space, and router
   vendors must design routers that have adequate FIB.

   FIB suppression is an approach to relieving stress on the FIB by NOT
   loading selected RIB entries into the FIB.  Simple Virtual
   Aggregation (S-VA) is a simple form of Virtual Aggregation (VA) that
   allows any and all edge routers to shrink their RIB and FIB
   requirements substantially and therefore increase their useful
   lifetime.

   S-VA does not increase FIB requirements for core routers.  S-VA is
   extremely easy to configure considerably more so than the various
   tricks done today to extend the life of edge routers.  S-VA can be
   deployed autonomously by an ISP (cooperation between ISPs is not
   required), and can co-exist with legacy routers in the ISP.

Working Group Summary

   This document was last called in 2011, went dormant for many months, 
   and last called again in May 2012. Last call   comments were positive, 
   but resulted in a new draft version.

Document Quality

  The author states that his employer has deployed the draft. 

Personnel

  Chris Morrow is shepherd. Ron Bonica is AD.