Subject: Protocol Action: 'Naming Things with Hashes' to Proposed Standard (draft-farrell-decade-ni-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 17:39:53 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Naming Things with Hashes'
  (draft-farrell-decade-ni-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-farrell-decade-ni/

Technical Summary

This document defines a set of ways to identify a thing using the
output from a hash function, specifying URI, URL, binary and human
"speakable" formats for these names.  The various formats are
designed to support, but not require, a strong link to the referenced
object such that the referenced object may be authenticated to the
same degree as the reference to it.

Working Group Summary

This is not a product of a WG and it never tried to become one.
However it was discussed in DECADE, CORE, and WEBSEC.  The CoAP
base protocol will normatively reference this document.

Document Quality

There is at least one implementation of an earlier draft. It looks
like this work might be applicable to multiple protocols (such as CoAP),
so I think more implementations will come. It is also partially based
on an unregistered magnet URI scheme, so there is desire in the
community to implement something like this.

Personnel

Alexey Melnikov is the document shepherd. Barry Leiba is the Responsible AD.