Subject: Protocol Action: 'Encrypting PANA AVPs' to Proposed Standard (draft-yegin-pana-encr-avp-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 08:32:17 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Encrypting PANA AVPs'
  (draft-yegin-pana-encr-avp-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yegin-pana-encr-avp/

Technical Summary 

  Various types of payloads are exchanged as part of the network 
  access authentication and authorization using PANA.  These payloads 
  are carried in AVPs.  AVPs can be integrity-protected using the 
  AUTH AVP when EAP authentication generates cryptographic keying 
  material.  PANA AVPs are transmitted in the clear (i.e., not 
  encrypted). 

  There are certain types of payloads that need to be delivered 
  privately (e.g., network keys, private identifiers, etc.).  This 
  document defines a mechanism for applying encryption to selected 
  AVPs. 

Working Group Summary 

  The document would have been considered in the PANA WG, however it 
  is now defunct. The document was presented to the PANA WG mailing 
  list for comments on March 16 2012. Comments were received and a 
  revised draft was submitted to the PANA WG mailing list on April 10 
  2012. No further comments were received. There was no controversy 
  surrounding the document. 

Document Quality 

  There are numerous existing implementations of the protocol as it 
  is currently being adopted and tested by ZigBee Alliance members 
  involved in the development of the ZigBee IP stack. There are 
  currently 7 independent vendors implementing the protocol. Yasuyuki 
  Tanaka performed a thorough review of draft version 01 and his 
  review was posted to the PANA WG mailing list on March 26 2012. 

Personnel 

  The Document Shepherd and Responsible Area Director is Ralph 
  Droms. In accordance with "Guidance on Area Director Sponsoring of 
  Documents", Robert Cragie is assisting in providing the PROTO 
  write-up.