Subject: RFC 6708 on Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 09:30:28 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6708

        Title:      Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO)
                    Requirements 
        Author:     S. Kiesel, Ed.,
                    S. Previdi, M. Stiemerling,
                    R. Woundy, Y. Yang
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 47549
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-alto-reqs-16.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6708.txt

Many Internet applications are used to access resources, such as
pieces of information or server processes that are available in
several equivalent replicas on different hosts.  This includes, but
is not limited to, peer-to-peer file sharing applications.  The goal
of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to provide
guidance to applications that have to select one or several hosts
from a set of candidates capable of providing a desired resource.
This guidance shall be based on parameters that affect performance
and efficiency of the data transmission between the hosts, e.g., the
topological distance.  The ultimate goal is to improve performance or
Quality of Experience in the application while reducing the
utilization of the underlying network infrastructure.

This document enumerates requirements for specifying, assessing, or
comparing protocols and implementations.  This document is not an 
Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for 
informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC