Subject: Document Action: 'Wireline Incremental IPv6' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-wireline-incremental-ipv6-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 08:29:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Wireline Incremental IPv6'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-wireline-incremental-ipv6-06.txt) as Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ronald Bonica and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-wireline-incremental-ipv6/

Technical Summary

  Operators worldwide are in various stages of preparing for, or
  deploying IPv6 into their networks.  The operators often face
  difficult challenges related to both IPv6 introduction along with
  those related to IPv4 run out.  Operators will need to meet the
  simultaneous needs of IPv6 connectivity and continue support for
IPv4
  connectivity for legacy devices with a stagnant supply of IPv4
  addresses.  The IPv6 transition will take most networks from an
IPv4-
  only environment to an IPv6 dominant environment with long transition
  period varying by operator.  This document helps provide a framework
  for wireline providers who are faced with the challenges of
  introducing IPv6 along with meeting the legacy needs of IPv4
  connectivity utilizing well defined and commercially available IPv6
  transition technologies.

Working Group Summary

The working group process was pretty straightforward. To the shepherd's knowledge, while every operator has not taken (or considered) taking every step laid out, there is no dissent regarding the approach. What the framework lays out is what steps make sense at the various decision points and how they should be thought through.

Document Quality

The framework is well written and has stood up under review.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Fred Baker. The Responsible AD is Ron Bonica.