Subject: Last Call: <draft-leiba-extended-doc-shepherd-00.txt> (Document Shepherding Throughout a Document's Lifecycle) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 07:40:38 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Document Shepherding Throughout a Document's Lifecycle'
  <draft-leiba-extended-doc-shepherd-00.txt> as Informational RFC

The author is documenting his own opinion, and he is presenting that
opinion to the community for consideration.  The author is not
proposing any formal change, but he is interested in community
comments.  Since this is the authors opinions, changes to the document
based on received comments be at the author's discretion.  As a
result, the finished document will not claim to reflect IETF community
consensus.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-10-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC 4858 talks about "Document Shepherding from Working Group Last
   Call to Publication".  There's a significant part of a document's
   life that happens before working group last call, starting, really,
   at the time a working group begins discussing a version of the idea
   that's been posted as an individual draft.  It seems reasonable and
   helpful to begin shepherding when there's a call for adoption as a
   working group document, and this document gives one Area Director's
   view of how that extended shepherding function might work, and what
   tasks might be involved throughout the document's lifecycle.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-extended-doc-shepherd/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-extended-doc-shepherd/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.