Subject: RFC 6709 on Design Considerations for Protocol Extensions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:05:07 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6709

        Title:      Design Considerations for Protocol Extensions 
        Author:     B. Carpenter, B. Aboba, Ed.,
                    S. Cheshire
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IAB
        Date:       September 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      42
        Characters: 103913
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-extension-recs-17.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6709.txt

This document discusses architectural issues related to the extensibility 
of Internet protocols, with a focus on design considerations.  It is 
intended to assist designers of both base protocols and extensions.  Case 
studies are included.  A companion document, RFC 4775 (BCP 125), discusses 
procedures relating to the extensibility of IETF protocols.

This document is a product of the Internet Architecture Board.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC