Subject: Last Call: <draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-04.txt> (Update to RFC 3777 to Clarify Nominating Committee Eligibility of IETF Leadership) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 08:05:22 -0700

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Update to RFC 3777 to Clarify Nominating Committee Eligibility of IETF
   Leadership'
  <draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-04.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-10-25. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

This document updates RFC 3777 by adding the IAOC to the list of
bodies whose sitting members are ineligible to serve on the Nominating
Committee (NomCom).  This document also clarifies that "sitting
members" includes those in ex-officio positions; however, liaisons
from other bodies are not excluded from serving on NomCom.

This document reflects the way that the IETF has been working.  By
making this update to RFC 3777, the documentation of the formal
process is catching up to the way that NomCom is actually operated.
This document actually updates a single sentence in RFC 3777.

Abstract

   RFC 3777 specifies that "sitting members" of the IAB and IESG "may
   not volunteer to serve on the nominating commitee".  Since that
   document was written the IAOC was formed, and that body is not
   covered by RFC 3777.  There is also uncertainty about whether ex-
   officio members and liaisons are included as "sitting members".  This
   document updates RFC 3777 and clarifies those situations.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.