Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2671bis-edns0-09.txt> (Extension Mechanisms for DNS (EDNS(0))) to Internet Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 07:53:25 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the DNS Extensions WG (dnsext) to
consider the following document:
- 'Extension Mechanisms for DNS (EDNS(0))'
  <draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2671bis-edns0-09.txt> as Internet Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-10-29. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Domain Name System's wire protocol includes a number of fixed
   fields whose range has been or soon will be exhausted and does not
   allow requestors to advertise their capabilities to responders.  This
   document describes backward compatible mechanisms for allowing the
   protocol to grow.

   This document updates the EDNS(0) specification (and obsoletes RFC
   2671) based on feedback from deployment experience in several
   implementations.  It also closes the IANA registry for extended
   labels created as part of RFC 2671 and obsoletes RFC 2673 ("Binary
   Labels in the Domain Name System") which depends on the existence of
   extended labels.

This IETF Last Call is a second Last call for this document, to address
process issues with the first Last Call.  The document has been updated
since the first Last Call to address comments received during the Last
Call and during IESG review.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2671bis-edns0/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2671bis-edns0/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.