Subject: Protocol Action: 'Measurement Identity and information Reporting using SDES item and XR Block' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-meas-identity-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 14:19:23 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Measurement Identity and information Reporting using SDES item and XR
   Block'
  (draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-meas-identity-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Metric Blocks for use with RTCP's
Extended Report Framework Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-meas-identity/

Technical Summary

This document defines an RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Source Description
(SDES) item and an RTCP Extended Report (XR) Block carrying parameters
that identify and describe a measurement period, to which one or more
other RTCP XR Report Blocks may refer. The need for these is called out
explicitly in section 5.4 of draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-13, "Monitoring
Architecture for RTP".

Working Group Summary

There were several points of debate within the working group; however,
none were particularly rough and consensus was achieved in all cases.
Main point of consensus include:

Correlation Tag
Remove the 3 bit correlation tag defined in earlier version of the
document. The SSRC and CNAME can be used to correlate RTCP XR data. The
RTCP SDES APSI block can be used to correlate with non-RTP sessions.

Measurement Duration
There was debate whether it was more appropriate to include in the
measurement information block, or have it be included explicitly within
each individual metric block to which it applies. The consensus was to
include it within the measurement information block to avoid duplication
in individual metric blocks, and add the following requirement in
draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch, "Note that for packet loss robustness if the
report blocks for the same interval span over more than one RTCP packet
then each must have the measurement identity information even though
they will be the same."

Extended First/Last Sequence Number
Paraphrasing of the concept defined in RFC 3550 led to some
disagreements. The paraphrasing was replaced with references to section
6.4.1 and Appendix A.1 of RFC 3550 to avoid any potential ambiguity.

Document Quality

This document has been reviewed by multiple people in AVTCORE involved
with draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch as well as by numerous people within
XRBLOCK. This document is normatively referenced by other documents
within XRBLOCK, providing evidence that there is intent to produce
implementations according to this document.

Personnel

Charles Eckel is the Document Shepherd.
Gonzalo Camarillo is the Responsible Area Director.