Subject: RFC 6707 on Content Distribution Network Interconnection (CDNI) Problem Statement

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 20:18:44 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6707

        Title:      Content Distribution Network Interconnection (CDNI) 
                    Problem Statement 
        Author:     B. Niven-Jenkins, F. Le Faucheur,
                    N. Bitar
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 75060
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-cdni-problem-statement-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6707.txt

Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) provide numerous benefits for
cacheable content: reduced delivery cost, improved quality of
experience for End Users, and increased robustness of delivery.  For
these reasons, they are frequently used for large-scale content
delivery.  As a result, existing CDN Providers are scaling up their
infrastructure, and many Network Service Providers (NSPs) are
deploying their own CDNs.  It is generally desirable that a given
content item can be delivered to an End User regardless of that End
User's location or attachment network.  This is the motivation for
interconnecting standalone CDNs so they can interoperate as an open
content delivery infrastructure for the end-to-end delivery of
content from Content Service Providers (CSPs) to End Users.  However,
no standards or open specifications currently exist to facilitate
such CDN Interconnection.

The goal of this document is to outline the problem area of CDN
Interconnection for the IETF CDNI (CDN Interconnection) working
group.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; 
it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Content Delivery Networks Interconnection Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC