Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-eai-popimap-downgrade-07.txt> (Post-delivery Message Downgrading for Internationalized Email Messages) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 08:05:26 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Email Address
Internationalization WG (eai) to consider the following document:
- 'Post-delivery Message Downgrading for Internationalized Email
Messages'
  <draft-ietf-eai-popimap-downgrade-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

Please note: This document is one a set of four interdependent
documents:

draft-ietf-eai-5738bis
draft-ietf-eai-popimap-downgrade
draft-ietf-eai-rfc5721bis
draft-ietf-eai-simpledowngrade

These documents should be reviewed, evaluated, and understood
together.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-09-20. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Email Address Internationalization (SMTPUTF8) extension to SMTP
   allows UTF-8 characters in mail header fields.  Upgraded POP and IMAP
   servers support internationalized Email messages.  If a POP/IMAP
   client does not support Email Address Internationalization, POP/IMAP
   servers cannot deliver Internationalized Email Headers to the client
   and cannot remove the message.  To avoid the situation, this document
   describes a conversion mechanism for internationalized Email messages
   to be in traditional message format.  In the process, message
   elements requiring internationalized treatment are recoded or removed
   and receivers are able to know that they received messages containing
   such elements even if they cannot process the internationalized
   elements.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eai-popimap-downgrade/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eai-popimap-downgrade/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.