Subject: WG Action: Rechartered Operations and Management Area Working Group (opsawg)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:22:35 -0700

The Operations and Management Area Working Group (opsawg) working group
in the Operations and Management Area of the IETF has been rechartered.
For additional information please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

Operations and Management Area Working Group (opsawg)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
  Chris Liljenstolpe <[email-masked]>
  Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/opsawg

Charter of Working Group:

  The Operations and Management Area receives occasional proposals for 
  the development and publication of RFCs dealing with operational and
  management topics that are not in scope of an existing working group 
  and do not justify the formation of a new working group. The OPSAWG 
  will serve as the forum for developing such work items in the IETF.
  
  The OPSAWG mailing list is an open discussion forum for such work 
  items, when they arise. The working group meets if there are active 
  proposals that require discussion. The working group milestones are 
  updated as needed to reflect the current work items and their 
  associated milestones. All new work items and rechartering proposals 
  will be brought for approval with the IESG.
  
  The focus of the work will be on topics that govern the behavior or WGs
  in the O&M area (e.g., manageability requirements) and on small, 
  highly focused projects that don't merit a WG of their own or belong 
  to WGs that have already concluded (e.g. advancement of documents on 
  the standards track, application statements, extensions of MIB 
  modules).
  
  The OPSAWG will undertake only work items that are proved to have at
  least a reasonable level of interest from the operators and users
  community and have a committed number of editors and reviewers. It is
  not within the scope of the OPSAWG to pick up failed WG work or parts 
  of a WG charter items that could not come to convergence on what they 
  were chartered to do.
  
  The currently active OPSAWG work items mostly fall under the following
  topics:
  
  (A) Templates and tools for Operations and Management Area Documents
  
  (B) Maintenance and small scale extensions of documents that were
  developed in working groups that have concluded (e.g. MIB modules).

  (C) The RFC 5066 "Ethernet in the First Mile Copper (EFMCu) Interfaces
  MIB" has transitioned to the IEEE 802.3. However, as agreed with the 
  IEEE, the IF-CAP-STACK-MIB MIB module (from RFC5066) is generic by 
  nature and should continue to be supported by the IETF. The WG will 
  develop a document extracting the IF-CAP-STACK-MIB from RFC5066, 
  emphasizing the generic nature of this module, and obsolete RFC5066.

  (D) Documenting the list of RFCs transitioned to the IEEE
  802.3.1-2011.  Considering RFC 4663 "Transferring MIB Work from IETF 
  Bridge MIB WG to IEEE 802.1 WG" as an reference, the following pieces 
  of information would the foundation for the document: a table mapping 
  the old IETF MIB names with the corresponding new IEEE ones, 
  clarifications/rules on the IETF-IEEE interactions (mailing lists, 
  reviews), and clarifications on the intellectual property 
  considerations.

Milestones:
  Done     - Initial submission for the 'SNMP Engine ID Discovery'
Internet-Draft
  Done     - Initial submission for the 'Guidelines for Considering
Operations and Management of New Protocols' Internet-Draft
  Done     - Initial submission for the 'Template for Generic Management
Data Models' Internet-Draft
  Done     - Initial submission for the 'Structured Data Elements (SDEs)
for syslog' Internet-Draft
  Done     - WGLC for the 'SNMP Engine ID Discovery' Internet-Draft
  Done     - Submit the 'SNMP Engine ID Discovery' Internet-Draft to the
IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard
  Done     - WGLC for the 'Guidelines for Considering Operations and
Management of New Protocols' Internet-Draft
  Done     - Submit the 'Guidelines for Considering Operations and
Management of New Protocols' Internet-Draft to the IESG for consideration
as BCP
  Done     - WGLC for the 'Structured Data Elements (SDEs) for syslog'
  Done     - Submit the 'Structured Data Elements (SDEs) for syslog' to
the IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard
  Oct 2012 - Initial submission for the 'IF-CAP-STACK-MIB MIB module'
Internet-Draft
  Oct 2012 - Initial submission for the 'RFCs transitioned to the IEEE
802.3.1-2011' Internet-Draft
  Mar 2013 - Submit the 'IF-CAP-STACK-MIB MIB module' Internet-Draft to
the IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard
  Mar 2013 - Submit the 'RFCs transitioned to the IEEE 802.3.1-2011'
Internet-Draft to the IESG for consideration as Informational