Subject: RFC 6751 on Native IPv6 behind IPv4-to-IPv4 NAT Customer Premises Equipment (6a44)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:15:09 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6751

        Title:      Native IPv6 behind IPv4-to-IPv4 NAT 
                    Customer Premises Equipment (6a44) 
        Author:     R. Despres, Ed., B. Carpenter, 
                    D. Wing, S. Jiang
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       October 2012 
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      33
        Characters: 73468
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-despres-6a44-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6751.txt

In customer sites having IPv4-only Customer Premises Equipment (CPE),
Teredo (RFC 4380, RFC 5991, RFC 6081) provides last-resort IPv6
connectivity.  However, because it is designed to work without the
involvement of Internet Service Providers, it has significant
limitations (connectivity between IPv6 native addresses and Teredo
addresses is uncertain; connectivity between Teredo addresses fails
for some combinations of NAT types).  6a44 is a complementary
solution that, being based on ISP cooperation, avoids these
limitations.  At the beginning of 6a44 IPv6 addresses, it replaces
the Teredo well-known prefix, present at the beginning of Teredo IPv6
addresses, with network-specific /48 prefixes assigned by local ISPs
(an evolution similar to that from 6to4 to 6rd (IPv6 Rapid Deployment
on IPv4 Infrastructures)).  The specification is expected to be
complete enough for running code to be independently written and the
solution to be incrementally deployed and used.  This document is not
an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for 
examination, experimental implementation, and evaluation.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC