Subject: RFC 6739 on Synchronizing Service Boundaries and <mapping> Elements Based on the Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:14:57 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6739

        Title:      Synchronizing Service Boundaries and <mapping> 
                    Elements Based on the Location-to-Service Translation 
                    (LoST) Protocol 
        Author:     H. Schulzrinne, H. Tschofenig
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 52011
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ecrit-lost-sync-18.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6739.txt

The Location-to-Service Translation (LoST) protocol is an XML-based
protocol for mapping service identifiers and geodetic or civic
location information to service URIs and service boundaries.  In
particular, it can be used to determine the location-appropriate
Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for emergency services.

The <mapping> element in the LoST protocol specification encapsulates
information about service boundaries and circumscribes the region
within which all locations map to the same service Uniform Resource
Identifier (URI) or set of URIs for a given service.

This document defines an XML protocol to exchange these mappings
between two nodes.  This mechanism is designed for the exchange of
authoritative <mapping> elements between two entities.  Exchanging
cached <mapping> elements, i.e., non-authoritative elements, is
possible but not envisioned.  Even though the <mapping> element
format is reused from the LoST specification, the mechanism in this
document can be used without the LoST protocol.  This document defines 
an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.

This document is a product of the Emergency Context Resolution with Internet Technologies Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC