Subject: Document Action: 'Guidelines for Use of the RTP Monitoring Framework' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-22.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:25:27 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Guidelines for Use of the RTP Monitoring Framework'
  (draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-22.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch/

Technical Summary

This memo describes the extensible RTP monitoring framework for
using RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) with new RTCP Extended
Reports (XR) block type to report new metrics regarding media
transmission or reception quality. In this framework, any new XR block
should contain a single metric or a small number of metrics relevant
to a single parameter of interest or concern, rather than containing
a number of metrics which attempt to provide full coverage of all
those parameters of concern to a specific application. Applications
may then "mix and match" to create a set of blocks which covers their
set of concerns. Where possible, a specific block should be designed
to be re-usable across more than one application, for example, for
all of voice, streaming audio and video.

Working Group Summary

This document was jointly last called with XRBLOCK WG, one of
the primary consumer of these architectural considerations. It was
significantly rewritten as the result of the AD review as it didn't
meet the goals of an architecture specificaiton, and was more focused
on the issues which the WG had come to consensus on. The changes
has been WG last called and consensus exist for moving forward
with these changes.

Document Quality

There are ongoing usage of the principles for extensions described in
this document within the XRBLOCK WG. The document has been reviewed
by a number of people in both AVTCORE and XRBLOCK WG. The AD found
a significant scope problem which has been resolved.

Personnel

Magnus Westerlund is the Document Shepherd. 
The Responsible Area Director is Robert Sparks.