Subject: Protocol Action: 'RObust Header Compression (ROHC): A Profile for TCP/IP (ROHC-TCP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-sandlund-rfc4996bis-02.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:44:46 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RObust Header Compression (ROHC): A Profile for TCP/IP (ROHC-TCP)'
  (draft-sandlund-rfc4996bis-02.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sandlund-rfc4996bis/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies ROHC-TCP, a Robust Header Compression
  (ROHC) profile for TCP/IP packets. ROHC-TCP provides efficient
  compression of TCP headers including TCP options. It obsoletes the
  previous specification of RFC 4996 and corrects SACK compression
  method and clarifies some of the other compression methods.

Working Group Summary

  The correction was initiated by the authors when an interoperability
  issue was reported for the SACK compression. There is no controversy
  that caused this document to end up without a working group. The new
  document included only smaller changes to RFC 4996 and the most
  suitable candidate, the rohc working group, was concluded over two
  years ago. The draft has been posted on the rohc mailing list which
  is still in use. 

Document Quality

  There are existing implementations of RFC 4996 (ROHC-TCP). The
  ROHC-FN formal language have been reviewed by ROHC-FN author Robert
  Finking as well as implementers. 

Personnel

  Carl Knutsson is the Document Shepherd and Wesley Eddy is the
  responsible AD.