Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-08.txt> (Stringprep Revision and PRECIS Problem Statement) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 06:44:58 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Preparation and Comparison of
Internationalized Strings WG (precis) to consider the following document:
- 'Stringprep Revision and PRECIS Problem Statement'
  <draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-08.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-10-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   If a protocol expects to compare two strings and is prepared only for
   those strings to be ASCII, then using Unicode codepoints in those
   strings requires they be prepared somehow.  Internationalizing Domain
   Names in Applications (here called IDNA2003) defined and used
   Stringprep and Nameprep.  Other protocols subsequently defined
   Stringprep profiles.  A new approach different from Stringprep and
   Nameprep is used for a revision of IDNA2003 (called IDNA2008).  Other
   Stringprep profiles need to be similarly updated or a replacement of
   Stringprep needs to be designed.  This document outlines the issues
   to be faced by those designing a Stringprep replacement.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.