Subject: RFC 6769 on Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:46:16 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6769

        Title:      Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA) 
        Author:     R. Raszuk, J. Heitz,
                    A. Lo, L. Zhang, X. Xu
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 16565
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6769.txt

All BGP routers in the Default-Free Zone (DFZ) are required to carry
all routes in the Default-Free Routing Table (DFRT).  This document
describes a technique, Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA), that allows
some BGP routers not to install all of those routes into the 
Forwarding Information Base (FIB).

Some routers in an Autonomous System (AS) announce an aggregate (the
VA prefix) in addition to the routes they already announce.  This
enables other routers not to install the routes covered by the VA
prefix into the FIB as long as those routes have the same next-hop as
the VA prefix.

The VA prefixes that are announced within an AS are not announced to
any other AS.  The described functionality is of very low operational
complexity, as it proposes a confined BGP speaker solution without
any dependency on network-wide configuration or requirement for any
form of intra-domain tunneling.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational 
purposes.

This document is a product of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC