Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-ra-guard-implementation-04.txt> (Implementation Advice for IPv6 Router Advertisement Guard (RA-Guard)) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 09:04:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Operations WG (v6ops) to
consider the following document:
- 'Implementation Advice for IPv6 Router Advertisement Guard (RA-Guard)'
  <draft-ietf-v6ops-ra-guard-implementation-04.txt> as Best Current
Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-11-09. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IPv6 Router Advertisement Guard (RA-Guard) mechanism is commonly
   employed to mitigate attack vectors based on forged ICMPv6 Router
   Advertisement messages.  Many existing IPv6 deployments rely on RA-
   Guard as the first line of defense against the aforementioned attack
   vectors.  However, some implementations of RA-Guard have been found
   to be prone to circumvention by employing IPv6 Extension Headers.
   This document describes the evasion techniques that affect the
   aforementioned implementations, and formally updates RFC 6105, such
   that the aforementioned RA-Guard evasion vectors are eliminated.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-ra-guard-implementation/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-ra-guard-implementation/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.