Subject: Protocol Action: 'Port Control Protocol (PCP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pcp-base-29.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 06:43:46 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Port Control Protocol (PCP)'
  (draft-ietf-pcp-base-29.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Port Control Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pcp-base/

Technical Summary

  The Port Control Protocol allows an IPv6 or IPv4 host to control how 
  incoming IPv6 or IPv4 packets are translated and forwarded by a network 
  address translator (NAT) or simple firewall, and also allows a host to 
  optimize its outgoing NAT keepalive messages.

Working Group Summary 

  At the outset, the WG looked at many other protocols that have been 
  proposed in the past for doing similar things, but almost none have 
  been successful in getting real deployment.  The exceptions are NAT-PMP 
  and UPnP-IGD.  Between them, the WG concluded that NAT-PMP was more 
  closely aligned with the intended scenarios and hence used NAT-PMP 
  as the starting point for PCP.

Document Quality 

  Several PCP implementations exist, and some interoperability testing 
  has already been done.

  Margaret Wasserman did a thorough security analysis and wrote the 
  security considerations section.

  Many others (beyond the authors themselves), including a number of 
  implementers, have also done reviews and are acknowledged in the document.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is Dave Thaler and the responsible
   Area Director is Ralph Droms.