Subject: Document Action: 'Additional Media Type Structured Syntax Suffixes' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-suffix-regs-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 08:21:21 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Additional Media Type Structured Syntax Suffixes'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-suffix-regs-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Applications Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba and Pete Resnick.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-suffix-regs/

Technical Summary
A content media type name sometimes includes partitioned meta- 
information distinguish by a Structured Syntax, to permit noting an 
attribute of the media as a suffix to the name. This document 
defines several Structured Syntax Suffixes for use with media type 
registrations. In particular, it defines and registers the "+json", 
"+ber", "+der", "+fastinfoset", "+wbxml" and "+zip" Structured Syntax 
Suffixes, and updates the "+xml" Message Type Structured Syntax 
Suffix registration.

Working Group Summary
This document was forked from draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-regs, which 
is now in the RFC Editor queue (waiting on this one). This was done in plain
view of the working group and thus comes as no surprise, and the content
had working group consensus prior to the document being fissioned. There
were no objections to the separation action. 

Review of the document post-separation was limited to a few reviewers. 

There was some question as to the utility of media type suffixes in 
general, but consensus is that we are past the point of that question
being an important one.

Because this was separated from media-type-regs, which is a BCP, this
was processed as a BCP.  It is normatively referenced from that document
and includes text (Section 2) that needs to be considered when reading
media-type-regs with suffixes in mind.  The GenART review during last call
pointed out that Informational is fine, and its target status should be adjusted
by the IESG according to its judgment.

Document Quality
Media type suffixes are not a new concept. This document merely formalizes 
their existence and establishes an IANA registry and update procedures to 
track them.  The media type registration Designated Expert has been
involved in the process of creating this document. There are no concerns
about the adequacy of review. 

Personnel
Murray Kucherawy is the Document Shepherd. 
Barry Leiba is the responsible Area Director.