Subject: RFC 6777 on Label Switched Path (LSP) Data Path Delay Metrics in Generalized MPLS and MPLS Traffic Engineering (MPLS-TE) Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 13:46:07 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6777

        Title:      Label Switched Path (LSP) Data 
                    Path Delay Metrics in Generalized MPLS 
                    and MPLS Traffic Engineering (MPLS-TE) Networks 
        Author:     W. Sun, Ed.,
                    G. Zhang, Ed.,
                    J. Gao, 
                    G. Xie,
                    R. Papneja
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 57725
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-dpm-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6777.txt

When setting up a Label Switched Path (LSP) in Generalized MPLS
(GMPLS) and MPLS Traffic Engineering (MPLS-TE) networks, the
completion of the signaling process does not necessarily mean that
the cross-connection along the LSP has been programmed accordingly
and in a timely manner.  Meanwhile, the completion of the signaling
process may be used by LSP users or applications that control their
use as an indication that the data path has become usable.  The
existence of the inconsistency between the signaling messages and
cross-connection programming, and the possible failure of cross-
connection programming, if not properly treated, will result in data
loss or even application failure.  Characterization of this
performance can thus help designers to improve the way in which LSPs
are used and to make applications or tools that depend on and use
LSPs more robust.  This document defines a series of performance
metrics to evaluate the connectivity of the data path in the
signaling process.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC