Subject: RFC 6804 on DISCOVER: Supporting Multicast DNS Queries

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:14:30 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6804

        Title:      DISCOVER: Supporting Multicast DNS Queries 
        Author:     B. Manning
        Status:     Historic
        Stream:     Independent
        Date:       November 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 19946
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-manning-opcode-discover-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6804.txt

This document describes the DISCOVER opcode, an experimental
extension to the Domain Name System (DNS) to use multicast queries
for resource discovery.  This opcode was tested in experiments run
during 1995 and 1996 for the Topology Based Domain Search (TBDS)
project.  This project is no longer active and there are no current
plans to restart it.  TBDS was the first known use of multicast
transport for DNS.  A client multicasts a DNS query using the
DISCOVER opcode and processes the multiple responses
that may result.  This document defines a Historic Document 
for the Internet community.

HISTORIC: This memo defines a Historic Document for the Internet
community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC