Subject: Protocol Action: 'Client Identifier Option in DHCP Server Replies' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dhc-client-id-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:45:11 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Client Identifier Option in DHCP Server Replies'
  (draft-ietf-dhc-client-id-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-client-id/

Technical Summary: 

  This document updates RFC2131 to change the DHCP server's behavior
  with respect to the DHCP client identifier option.  Prior to this
  update, DHCP servers were expected not to return the client
  identifier to the client in DHCPOFFER, DHCPACK and DHCPNAK messages.
  Following this update, DHCP servers are expected to return the
  client identifier in all three of these messages.  This resolves a
  problem where in cases where the chaddr field of the client
  identifier is zero, the client can't accurately identify DHCP
  messages as being directed specifically to it.

Working Group Summary: 

  There was essentially unanimous support for this document, and the
  document received wide review.

Document Quality: 

  This is a relatively minor change to the existing DHCPv4 protocol,
  and is not expected to create interoperability problems.  The
  authors have done a test implementation with a Cisco DHCP server,
  and tested this against five DHCP clients, and no problems were
  observed.  It's always possible that some client somewhere will
  break, but these results are encouraging.

Personnel: 

  Ted Lemon is the Document Shepherd.  Ralph Droms is the responsible
  Area Director.