Subject: RFC 6775 on Neighbor Discovery Optimization for IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 13:45:33 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6775

        Title:      Neighbor Discovery Optimization for IPv6 
                    over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks 
                    (6LoWPANs) 
        Author:     Z. Shelby, Ed.,
                    S. Chakrabarti, 
                    E. Nordmark,
                    C. Bormann
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      55
        Characters: 130616
        Updates:    RFC4944

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-21.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6775.txt

The IETF work in IPv6 over Low-power Wireless Personal Area Network
(6LoWPAN) defines 6LoWPANs such as IEEE 802.15.4.  This and other
similar link technologies have limited or no usage of multicast
signaling due to energy conservation.  In addition, the wireless
network may not strictly follow the traditional concept of IP subnets
and IP links.  IPv6 Neighbor Discovery was not designed for non-
transitive wireless links, as its reliance on the traditional IPv6
link concept and its heavy use of multicast make it inefficient and
sometimes impractical in a low-power and lossy network.  This
document describes simple optimizations to IPv6 Neighbor Discovery,
its addressing mechanisms, and duplicate address detection for Low-
power Wireless Personal Area Networks and similar networks.  The
document thus updates RFC 4944 to specify the use of the
optimizations defined here.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the IPv6 over Low power WPAN Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC