Subject: RFC 6815 on Applicability Statement for RFC 2544: Use on Production Networks Considered Harmful

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 15:02:27 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6815

        Title:      Applicability Statement for RFC 2544: 
                    Use on Production Networks Considered Harmful 
        Author:     S. Bradner, K. Dubray,
                    J. McQuaid, A. Morton
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 22308
        Updates:    RFC2544

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bmwg-2544-as-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6815.txt

The Benchmarking Methodology Working Group (BMWG) has been developing
key performance metrics and laboratory test methods since 1990, and
continues this work at present.  The methods described in RFC 2544
are intended to generate traffic that overloads network device
resources in order to assess their capacity.  Overload of shared
resources would likely be harmful to user traffic performance on a
production network, and there are further negative consequences
identified with production application of the methods.  This memo
clarifies the scope of RFC 2544 and other IETF BMWG benchmarking work
for isolated test environments only, and it encourages new standards
activity for measurement methods applicable outside that scope.
This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC