Subject: RFC 6792 on Guidelines for Use of the RTP Monitoring Framework

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 09:42:38 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6792

        Title:      Guidelines for Use of the 
                    RTP Monitoring Framework 
        Author:     Q. Wu, Ed.,
                    G. Hunt, P. Arden
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 42473
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-22.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6792.txt

This memo proposes an extensible Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP)
monitoring framework for extending the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP)
with a new RTCP Extended Reports (XR) block type to report new
metrics regarding media transmission or reception quality.  In this
framework, a new XR block should contain a single metric or a small
number of metrics relevant to a single parameter of interest or
concern, rather than containing a number of metrics that attempt to
provide full coverage of all those parameters of concern to a
specific application.  Applications may then "mix and match" to
create a set of blocks that cover their set of concerns.  Where
possible, a specific block should be designed to be reusable across
more than one application, for example, for all of voice, streaming
audio, and video.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC