Subject: Protocol Action: 'Flow Aggregation for the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipfix-a9n-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:41:51 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Flow Aggregation for the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-ipfix-a9n-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Flow Information Export Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ronald Bonica and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipfix-a9n/

 Technical Summary 
    This document provides a common implementation-independent basis 
    for the interoperable application of the IP Flow Information 
    Export (IPFIX) Protocol to the handling of Aggregated Flows, which 
    are IPFIX Flows representing packets from multiple Original Flows 
    that share some set of common properties. 

  Working Group Summary 
    This draft attracted real discussion on the IPFIX list, and took 
    time to reach consensus on its final approach, i.e. "through a 
    detailed terminology and a descriptive Intermediate Aggregation 
    Process architecture, including a specification of methods for 
    Original Flow counting and counter distribution across intervals." 

  Document Quality 
    Are there existing implementations of the protocol? Have a 
    significant number of vendors indicated their plan to 
    implement the specification? 
    I'm not aware of any, so far. 

    Are there any reviewers that merit special mention as having 
    done a thorough review ... ? 
    Rahul Patel was a strong contributor to the discussion, 
    Paul Aitken provided a very thorough review. 

  Personnel 
    Who is the Document Shepherd?          Nevil Brownlee 
    Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Ron Bonica
RFC Editor Note

OLD:

   In certain circumstances, additional delay at the original Exporter
   may cause an IAP to close an interval before the last Original
   Flow(s) accountable to the interval arrives; in this case the IAP
   SHOULD drop the late Original Flow(s).  Accounting of flows lost at
   an Intermediate Process due to such issues is covered in
   [I-D.ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol].

NEW:

   In certain circumstances, additional delay at the original Exporter
   may cause an IAP to close an interval before the last Original
   Flow(s) accountable to the interval arrives; in this case the IAP
   MAY drop the late Original Flow(s).  Accounting of flows lost at
   an Intermediate Process due to such issues is covered in
   [I-D.ietf-ipfix-mediation-protocol].

Section 5.3.1
OLD

    Certain Information
    Elements for these applications are already provided in the IANA
    IPFIX Information Elements registry
    (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipfix/ipfix.html (e.g.
    minimumIpTotalLength).

NEW

    Certain Information
    Elements for these applications are already provided in the IANA
    IPFIX Information Elements registry [iana-ipfix-assignments] (e.g.
    minimumIpTotalLength).

============================================

Section 7.2.4

OLD:

    [IANA NOTE: This Information Element is compatible with Information
    Element 3 as used in NetFlow version 9.]

NEW

============================================

Section 10
OLD:

   [NOTE for IANA: The text TBDn should be replaced with the respective
    assigned Information Element numbers where they appear in this
    document.  Note that the deltaFlowCount Information Element has been
    assigned the number 3, as it is compatible with the corresponding
    existing (reserved) NetFlow v9 Information Element.  Other
    Information Element numbers should be assigned outside the NetFlow V9
    compatibility range, as these Information Elements are not supported
    by NetFlow V9.]

NEW

============================================

Section 2

OLD:

   Aggregated Flow:   A Flow, as defined by
       [I-D.ietf-ipfix-protocol-rfc5101bis], derived from a set of zero
       or more original Flows within a defined Aggregation Interval.  The
       primary difference between a Flow and an Aggregated Flow in the
       general case is that the time interval (i.e., the two-tuple of
       start and end times) of a Flow is derived from information about
       the timing of the packets comprising the Flow, while the time
       interval of an Aggregated Flow is often externally imposed.  Note
       that an Aggregated Flow is defined in the context of an
       Intermediate Aggregation Process only.  Once an Aggregated Flow is
       exported, it is essentially a Flow as in
       [I-D.ietf-ipfix-protocol-rfc5101bis] and can be treated as such.

NEW

   Aggregated Flow:   A Flow, as defined by
       [I-D.ietf-ipfix-protocol-rfc5101bis], derived from a set of zero
       or more original Flows within a defined Aggregation Interval.  Note
       that an Aggregated Flow is defined in the context of an
       Intermediate Aggregation Process only.  Once an Aggregated Flow is
       exported, it is essentially a Flow as in
       [I-D.ietf-ipfix-protocol-rfc5101bis] and can be treated as such.

============================================

Section 5.1.1

OLD:
   Proportional Uniform Distribution:   This is like simple uniform
       distribution, but accounts for the fractional portions of a time
       interval covered by an Original Flow in the first and last time
       interval.  Each counter for an Original Flow is divided by the
       number of time _units_ the Original Flow covers, to derive a mean
       count rate.  This rate is then multiplied by the number of time
       units in the intersection of the duration of the Original Flow and
       the time interval of each Aggregated Flow.

NEW:
   Proportional Uniform Distribution:   This is like simple uniform
       distribution, but accounts for the fractional portions of a time
       interval covered by an Original Flow in the first and last time
       interval.  Each counter for an Original Flow is divided by the
       number of time units the Original Flow covers, to derive a mean
       count rate.  This rate is then multiplied by the number of time
       units in the intersection of the duration of the Original Flow and
       the time interval of each Aggregated Flow.