Subject: RFC 6731 on Improved Recursive DNS Server Selection for Multi-Interfaced Nodes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 17:39:25 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6731

        Title:      Improved Recursive DNS Server Selection 
                    for Multi-Interfaced Nodes 
        Author:     T. Savolainen, 
                    J. Kato,
                    T. Lemon
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 68882
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6731.txt

A multi-interfaced node is connected to multiple networks, some of
which might be utilizing private DNS namespaces.  A node commonly
receives recursive DNS server configuration information from all
connected networks.  Some of the recursive DNS servers might have
information about namespaces other servers do not have.  When a
multi-interfaced node needs to utilize DNS, the node has to choose
which of the recursive DNS servers to use.  This document describes
DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 options that can be used to configure nodes with
information required to perform informed recursive DNS server
selection decisions.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Multiple Interfaces Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC