Subject: RFC 6821 on Improving Peer Selection in Peer-to-peer Applications: Myths vs. Reality

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:31:03 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6821

        Title:      Improving Peer Selection in Peer-to-peer 
                    Applications: Myths vs. Reality 
        Author:     E. Marocco, A. Fusco,
                    I. Rimac, V. Gurbani
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       December 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 33299
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-p2prg-mythbustering-03.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6821.txt

Peer-to-peer (P2P) traffic optimization techniques that aim at
improving locality in the peer selection process have attracted great
interest in the research community and have been the subject of much
discussion.  Some of this discussion has produced controversial
myths, some rooted in reality while others remain unfounded.  This
document evaluates the most prominent myths attributed to P2P
optimization techniques by referencing the most relevant study or
studies that have addressed facts pertaining to the myth.  Using
these studies, the authors hope to either confirm or refute each
specific myth.

This document is a product of the IRTF P2PRG (Peer-to-Peer Research
Group).

This document is a product of the Peer-to-Peer Research Group of the IRTF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC