Subject: Protocol Action: 'NSDB Protocol for Federated Filesystems' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:22:25 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'NSDB Protocol for Federated Filesystems'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol-15.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Wesley Eddy.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-federated-fs-protocol/

Technical Summary
 
    This document describes a filesystem federation protocol that
    enables file access and namespace traversal across collections of
    independently administered fileservers.  The protocol specifies a
    set of interfaces by which fileservers with different
    administrators can form a fileserver federation that provides a
    namespace composed of the filesystems physically hosted on and
    exported by the constituent fileservers. 

Working Group Summary

    The FedFS protocol as to be used with NFSv4 file servers is an
    important component to providing enterprise usable federated
    NFSv4 file systems.  Combined with the Administration Protocol
    for Federated Filesystems, and NFSv4 protocols a complete
    solution is possible and provides substantial utility. 
   
Document Quality

    Not only is the NSDB Protocol for Federated Filesystems document
    complete, readable and useful as a guide to implementation and
    interoperability, this has been proven by prototype
    implementations that have been built by those authoring the
    document.  This is an important culture of the NFSv4 working
    group and has become the norm of behavior for the work product
    generated by the working group. 

Personnel

   Spencer Shepler ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd. 
   Martin Stiemerling ([email-masked]) is the responsible Area Director. 

RFC Editor Note

 1. Please remove Daniel Ellard from the list of author
 2. Add this text to Appendix A.  Acknowledgments:
    'Daniel Ellard contributed significant parts to this draft.'