Subject: Protocol Action: 'Update to RFC 3777 to Clarify Nominating Committee Eligibility of IETF Leadership' to Best Current Practice (draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:02:24 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Update to RFC 3777 to Clarify Nominating Committee Eligibility of IETF
   Leadership'
  (draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-06.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility/

Technical Summary

  This document updates RFC 3777 by adding the IAOC to the list of
  bodies whose sitting members are ineligible to serve on the Nominating
  Committee (NomCom).  This document also clarifies that "sitting
  members" includes those in ex-officio positions; however, liaisons
  from other bodies are not excluded from serving on NomCom.

  This document reflects the way that the IETF has been working.  By
  making this update to RFC 3777, the documentation of the formal
  process is catching up to the way that it is actually operated.  This
  document actually updates a single sentence in RFC 3777.

Working Group Summary

  This document is not the product of any IETF WG.

Document Quality

  This document was discussed on the IETF discussion list and on the
  ietf-nomcom mailing list.  A design team made up of ex-NomCom Chairs
  also reviewed the document.  IAB, IESG and IAOC members, Jim Galvin,
  and other several long-standing IETF participants reviewed previous
  versions of the document.  The general sense is to exclude as few
  people as necessary to avoid a self-selecting leadership, and the
  document reflects that perspective.

Personnel

  Russ Housley is the responsible AD.

  S. Moonesamy is the document shepherd.