Subject: RFC 6762 on Multicast DNS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:40:55 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6762

        Title:      Multicast DNS 
        Author:     S. Cheshire, M. Krochmal
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      70
        Characters: 184992
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-15.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6762.txt

As networked devices become smaller, more portable, and more
ubiquitous, the ability to operate with less configured
infrastructure is increasingly important.  In particular, the ability
to look up DNS resource record data types (including, but not limited
to, host names) in the absence of a conventional managed DNS server
is useful.

Multicast DNS (mDNS) provides the ability to perform DNS-like
operations on the local link in the absence of any conventional
Unicast DNS server.  In addition, Multicast DNS designates a portion of the DNS
namespace to be free for local use, without the need to pay any
annual fee, and without the need to set up delegations or otherwise
configure a conventional DNS server to answer for those names.

The primary benefits of Multicast DNS names are that (i) they require little
or no administration or configuration to set them up, (ii) they work
when no infrastructure is present, and (iii) they work during
infrastructure failures.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC