Subject: RFC 6872 on The Common Log Format (CLF) for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): Framework and Information Model

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 14:06:17 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6872

        Title:      The Common Log Format (CLF) 
                    for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): 
                    Framework and Information Model 
        Author:     V. Gurbani, Ed.,
                    E. Burger, Ed.,
                    T. Anjali, 
                    H. Abdelnur,
                    O. Festor
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      39
        Characters: 72134
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6872.txt

Well-known web servers such as Apache and web proxies like Squid
support event logging using a common log format.  The logs produced
using these de facto standard formats are invaluable to system
administrators for troubleshooting a server and tool writers to craft
tools that mine the log files and produce reports and trends.
Furthermore, these log files can also be used to train anomaly
detection systems and feed events into a security event management
system.  The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) does not have a common
log format, and, as a result, each server supports a distinct log
format that makes it unnecessarily complex to produce tools to do
trend analysis and security detection.  This document describes a
framework, including requirements and analysis of existing
approaches, and specifies an information model for development of a
SIP common log file format that can be used uniformly by user agents,
proxies, registrars, and redirect servers as well as back-to-back
user agents.

This document is a product of the SIP Common Log Format Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC