Subject: RFC 6760 on Requirements for a Protocol to Replace the AppleTalk Name Binding Protocol (NBP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:40:27 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6760

        Title:      Requirements for a Protocol to 
                    Replace the AppleTalk Name Binding Protocol 
                    (NBP) 
        Author:     S. Cheshire, M. Krochmal
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 38212
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-cheshire-dnsext-nbp-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6760.txt

One of the goals of the authors of Multicast DNS (mDNS) and DNS-Based
Service Discovery (DNS-SD) was to retire AppleTalk and the
AppleTalk Name Binding Protocol (NBP) and to replace them with an IP-based
solution.  This document presents a brief overview of the capabilities
of AppleTalk NBP and outlines the properties required of an IP-based
replacement.  

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC