Subject: Document Action: 'Requirements for Operations, Administration and Maintenance (OAM) in TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links)' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-trill-oam-req-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 08:13:10 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Requirements for Operations, Administration and Maintenance (OAM) in
   TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links)'
  (draft-ietf-trill-oam-req-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-oam-req/

Technical Summary: 

  The TRILL protocol current supports SNMP and BFD but those provide
  only limited OAM facilities. This document is the first in a planned
  series of documents to provide more complete OAM facilities. It
  gives requirements for those OAM facilities and is expected to be
  followed by an OAM Framework document (currently a TRILL WG draft)
  which is in turn expected to be followed by two detailed
  specifications: Fault Management (current a personal draft) and
  Performance Management (no draft posted at this time). While the
  current direction of TRILL OAM is to parallel IEEE 802.1ag, this
  requirement document is general independent of OAM technology and
  does not constrain that direction.

Working Group Summary: 

  This document originated in the TRILL OAM design team. It was
  adopted by a strong consensus and reviewed by the WG. Changes were
  made based on review in the working group and there was a good
  consensus to forward it for publication.

Document Quality: 

  There is significant vendor interest in more complete OAM facilities
  for TRILL. This document has been thoroughly reviewed. It was
  originated in the TRILL OAM design team and has also been reviewed
  by a number of IEEE 802.1 voting members who volunteered to do so in
  their individual capacity. In addition, it was closely reviewed
  several times by Thomas Narten, a former Internet Area Director.

Personnel: 

  The Document Shepherd is Donald Eastlake.  The Responsible Area
  Director is Ralph Droms.