Subject: Last Call: <draft-schaad-pkix-rfc2875-bis-07.txt> (Diffie-Hellman Proof-of-Possession Algorithms) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:57:31 -0800

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Diffie-Hellman Proof-of-Possession Algorithms'
  <draft-schaad-pkix-rfc2875-bis-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

This Last Call is the second IETF Last Call for this document.
No technical issues were raised during the first Last Call.  However, the
Last Call failed to highlight three normative references to informational
RFCs:  RFCs 2104, RFC 2986, and RFC 6234.  RFCs 2104 and 2986
already appear in the downref registry located at:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/DownrefRegistry
but RFC 6234 does not.  This abbreviated Last Call is focused solely on
whether the downref to RFC 6234 is appropriate in the context of
draft-schaad-pkix-rfc2875.  Note that RFC 6234 is also called out in
a downref in another IETF Last Call ending on the same date.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-03-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes two methods for producing an integrity check
   value from a Diffie-Hellman key pair and one method for producing an
   integrity check value from an Elliptic Curve key pair.  This behavior
   is needed for such operations as creating the signature of a PKCS #10
   certification request.  These algorithms are designed to provide a
   proof-of-possession of the private key and not to be a general
   purpose signing algorithm.

   This document obsoletes RFC 2875.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schaad-pkix-rfc2875-bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schaad-pkix-rfc2875-bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.