Subject: Protocol Action: 'Encryption of Header Extensions in the Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol (SRTP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-encrypted-header-ext-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:47:12 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Encryption of Header Extensions in the Secure Real-Time Transport
   Protocol (SRTP)'
  (draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-encrypted-header-ext-05.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-encrypted-header-ext/

Technical Summary:

The Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol (SRTP) provides authentication, but
not encryption, of the headers of Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP)
packets. However, RTP header extensions may carry sensitive information for
which participants in multimedia sessions want confidentiality. This
document provides a mechanism, extending the mechanisms of SRTP, to
selectively encrypt RTP header extensions in SRTP.

This document updates RFC 3711, the Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol
specification, to require that all SRTP encryption transforms specify how
RTP header extensions are to be encrypted.

Working Group Summary:

This document went through two working group last call. As a result of the
first one there were proposals to add some technical changes that were
consented in the second working group last call.

Document Quality:

The document got good reviews from AVTCORE members including SRTP and
security experts.

Personnel:

Roni Even is the Document Shepherd and the Responsible Area Director is
Robert Sparks.