Subject: Protocol Action: 'Entity MIB (Version 4)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-eman-rfc4133bis-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:02:00 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Entity MIB (Version 4)'
  (draft-ietf-eman-rfc4133bis-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Energy Management Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Ronald Bonica.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eman-rfc4133bis/

Technical Summary
  
   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for
   use with network management protocols in the Internet community.  In
   particular, it describes managed objects used for managing multiple
   logical and physical entities managed by a single SNMP agent. This
   document specifies a new version of the Entity MIB, which obsoletes
   version 3 [RFC4133].

Working Group Summary

   EMAN's meeting at IETF 83 (Paris) identified the need for this as
   a generic way to manage objects using a list of URIs.  Mouli Chandramouli
   produced the -01 version in time for IETF 84, with co-editors Andy
   Bierman, Dan Romascanu and Juergen Quittek.  The WG decided that this
   would provide a sensible base for the EMAN MIBs.

   Since then it has been discussed on the EMAN list; its WG Last Call
   was of its -03 version, from 11 to 29 October.  The latest revision
   addresses concerns arising from the WGLC, the editors consider that
   it's now ready to publish. 

Document Quality

  Are there existing implementations of the protocol?
  It obsoletes RFC 4133, Entity MIB v3.

  Have a significant number of vendors indicated their plan to implement
  the specification?
  Don't know.

   Are there any reviewers that merit special mention as having done a
   thorough review, e.g., one that resulted in important changes or a
   conclusion that the document had no substantive issues?
   Juergen Schoenwalder was particularly helpful as a reviewer at WGLC
   though the changes srising were minor.

   If there was a MIB Doctor, Media Type or other expert review, what was
   its course (briefly)?
   Two of the draft's editors are on the MIB Doctors list, so is
   Juergen Schoenwalder. 

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area Director?
   Shepherd:      Nevil Brownlee
   Area Director: Benoit Claise 

RFC Editor Note

OLD: 

Their mis-configuration or disclosure may reveal sensitive
information on assets or perturb the management of entities.  

NEW:

Their mis-configuration or disclosure may reveal sensitive
information on assets or perturb the management of entities,
or could cause privacy issues if they allow tracking of 
values that are personally identifying.  

OLD:

These objects expose information about the physical entities
within a managed system, which may be used to identify the
vendor, model, and version information of each system
component.

NEW:

These objects expose information about the physical entities
within a managed system, which may be used to identify the
vendor, model, version and specific device identification
information of each system component.